test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Archive] Tips To Combat Exploit Maps & UGC Listing Feedback And Suggestions

Comments

• lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hmm... this thread title needs bigger, bolder letters...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    Hmm... this thread title needs bigger, bolder letters...

So what would make an item/xp "farming" quest an exploit?
    lonnehart wrote: »
    Ah, thanks. Should've just asked for a PM there. :)
    rogu3ish wrote: »
    I'll send you a reply in a PM lonnehart, as the mods want us to avoid discussing the actual mechanics in-thread.
    . . . . . Yeah, thanks. Please keep that stuff in PM form as we cannot allow that on the forums and is what has caused most of past thread removals/edits/closures on these issues. These quoted posts have been removed to deter replies.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    They're all still there. That's why we need EVERYONE to report. This is a small community, you can't wait for your peers to do it. Everyone has to do this.
    . . . . . Zovya, please PM me the short-code of these missions. Right now, I'll only accept short codes from Zovya and when I have the time I'll personally check them out and report them as well if I do agree that they are bad fruit. Sadly, I just don't have the time to go and sift through the missions there are to look for exploit missions, so I won't be accepting requests to check them out from anyone else at this time. I also won't be able to respond further on whether I did report them or not, per the privacy policy.
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Zoyva, please PM me the short-code of these missions. Right now, I'll only accept short codes from Zoyva and when I have the time I'll personally check them out and report them as well if I do agree that they are bad fruit. Sadly, I just don't have the time to go and sift through the missions there are to look for exploit missions, so I won't be accepting requests to check them out from anyone else at this time. I also won't be able to respond further on whether I did report them or not, per the privacy policy.

Starting to lose faith that anything will ever be done.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . Zoyva, please PM me the short-code of these missions. Right now, I'll only accept short codes from Zoyva and when I have the time I'll personally check them out and report them as well if I do agree that they are bad fruit. Sadly, I just don't have the time to go and sift through the missions there are to look for exploit missions, so I won't be accepting requests to check them out from anyone else at this time. I also won't be able to respond further on whether I did report them or not, per the privacy policy.

Just saw this. Just sent PM. Thanks for looking into this.
    edited August 2013
    Just saw this. Just sent PM. Thanks for looking into this.
    Many thanks and my pleasure!

Sorry Red, I cannot respond to that.
    *the mage frowns*
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Starting to lose faith that anything will ever be done.

All The Best

Even if the devs remove these quests, the authors can just duplicate them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    For the last time, be constructive.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    This foundry movement has been going on for ..... what, a week now? Have any of the exploit missions been removed yet? If not, I can only come to the conclusion that many reports don't actually get missions taken down automatically (it'd be great if Zeb or another mod confirmed that theory), and that we're only helping these exploit missions back to the top of the lists by bumping their number of plays up (even with the intention of reporting).

Unless other actions are taken and proven successful, I'm not going to help promote the missions in question by playing them in the first place. :/

To test whether a large number of reports has an effect, maybe you should set up a time this weekend to try it out instead of relying on everyone's faith.
    edited August 2013
    This foundry movement has been going on for ..... what, a week now? Have any of the exploit missions been removed yet? If not, I can only come to the conclusion that many reports don't actually get missions taken down automatically (it'd be great if Zeb or another mod confirmed that theory), and that we're only helping these exploit missions back to the top of the lists by bumping their number of plays up (even with the intention of reporting).

Unless other actions are taken and proven successful, I'm not going to help promote the missions in question by playing them in the first place. :/

To test whether a large number of reports has an effect, maybe you should set up a time this weekend to try it out instead of relying on everyone's faith.

The original copy and a few of duplicates of one exploit have been taken down, though I can't confirm that it was because of reports. The author could have just deleted them once they got taken off the New list automatically due to being there so long. Two duplicates of that map still remain though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all, please feel free to PM me with info (name/@handle/short code) about any suspicious quests and I'll make sure that they get investigated. Thanks!

Thank you for the response. That means a lot to the community. PMs incoming when I get into game today.
  • helmetballzhelmetballz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I had a look about an hour ago and I couldn't see any of the 5 dupes of the same quest by that author we are not going to name.

I didn't have him on subscribe though, so can't see if he's just re-duped them all to give them new short-codes.

All The Best

Maybe foundry people should look at the glass half full instead of half empty. If you're talking about the quests that I think you are and worrying that they are pushing your quests down in ranks etc.... Maybe the real problem is that most foundry authors aren't catering to what people want. Farm maps get the higher ratings because they are fun and are what people want. I can tell you it's much more fun to kill a motherload of spiders in a series of pits than some of these long winded foundry quests that take forever with boring story lines. Not everyone has several hours a day to play, and most people only play foundry quests to get the rhix reward. The majority of the foundry quests take much longer to play solo than they say in the list. You get half way through them and are begging for it to be over with, only to be tortured to the end.

After doing everything in this game, the only thing left to do is farm as the game has otherwise become boring. It's disappointing that some of these quests have been removed as the mass killing was much more fun. Maybe what should be done is to have category sections in the foundry so that farming quests are separated from story based quests so that it's easier for people of each viewpoint to find and do what they want. Then the story based authors and players can fight for their ratings in their own section.

It takes less than two weeks to make 60 in this game, just by playing the quests, then all you are left with is a handful of content. Most of the people just want to kill lots of stuff and quickly. They don't want to talk to this person or that person, have to search for things etc... because it takes forever. The farming quests that were removed catered to the majority of players in the game. I know I don't want to pay PW any more money, when they remove the fun stuff. It was pretty enjoyable trying to find the best combinations of ways to kill the massive mobs as quickly as possible, trying to beat your fastest time through it, etc...The majority of people farm because that is where the fun is and they can do it at will.
    edited August 2013
    Maybe foundry people should look at the glass half full instead of half empty. If you're talking about the quests that I think you are and worrying that they are pushing your quests down in ranks etc.... Maybe the real problem is that most foundry authors aren't catering to what people want. Farm maps...

I stopped right there. This isn't about farm maps. Read the post. This is about an exploit. I have no problem with farm maps.

The offending quests were removed earlier today. Thanks btw.
    edited August 2013
    So it seems the devs have been getting busy. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    So it seems the devs have been getting busy. :D

Meh. They took down one authors', but I see a half-dozen clones by other authors.
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Meh. They took down one authors', but I see a half-dozen clones by other authors.
    In addition to reporting them normally, please send Sominator (and/or myself) a PM with the info (name/@handle/short code). Thanks!
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all, please feel free to PM me with info (name/@handle/short code) about any suspicious quests and I'll make sure that they get investigated. Thanks!
  • zaodunzaodun Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2013
    I can't fathom what an "exploit" map is.

Not joking. No idea. There is no place where this is spelled out in the ToS, Eula or other rules documentation for this game.

Can a mod/dev post the rules and what qualifies as an exploit? (not asking for details, just rules).
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

Do what Sominator requested then :)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
    edited August 2013
    zaodun wrote: »
    I can't fathom what an "exploit" map is.

Not joking. No idea. There is no place where this is spelled out in the ToS, Eula or other rules documentation for this game.

Can a mod/dev post the rules and what qualifies as an exploit? (not asking for details, just rules).
    . . . . . . Because of the dynamic nature of the EULA in-game, I cannot quote that for legal reasons - instead I have to direct you to read it for yourself. To view the in-game EULA, log out to the Login Screen and there will be a button on the bottom left of the client screen. The foundry has it's own EULA, which you can view while in the Foundry Editor by clicking Help and then Terms/EULA from the drop-down (I forget what it's worded as there-in offhand).

. . . . . . To view the Terms of Service, there is a link at the bottom of every page in this site, and in my signature. The two parts you'll want to pay attention to are numbers 10 and 11. I cannot quote them myself because they too are subject to change and it is your responsibility to stay informed on them. Other users may quote or relay them however, just keep in mind that anything quoted or posted by users in this regard, is possibly out-of-date. It is your responsibility to read the actual Terms, EULA, as well as forum Rules of Conduct.

. . . . . . The EULA is nice on letting users know when it changes however, for when the EULA changes in game, a new acceptance pop-up will appear and you'll need to accept them in order to continue using the game client. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!
    edited August 2013
    OK, nice to see some, even many, of the more common exploit maps removed.

Many thanks to any and all who reported such maps and to Cryptic / PWE for taking action.

Some measure of faith has been restored.

All The Best

edited August 2013
    Remakes of the same exploits are slowly climbing the New list, awaiting the day they reclaim their lost spots on the Best list. It seems the Foundry community will have to be ever vigilant in reporting these exploits if we wish to keep the lists clean. I don't see that happening though, Foundry authors typically have better things to do with our time than report exploits. It should be the dev's job to police the Foundry, but they expect us to do it for them, after they're already relying on us to produce so much of the game's content. Someone really needs to be hired to police the Foundry. Please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Remakes of the same exploits are slowly climbing the New list, awaiting the day they reclaim their lost spots on the Best list...

One action Cryptic can and does take against users who create exploit content is to revoke the ability for certain players to make quests. If players continue to violate the EULA and ToS they will have the ability to create Foundry Content revoked.

Like botting it will be a constant battle but Cryptic has and will continue to fight such wars.

And I fully agree with the "Foundry Moderators" suggestion which was mentioned early on. Players being able to remove quests at a whim is a no-no but having certain players have prioritized reports would be great. That's merely my personal opinion though and as much as I would love for them to implement such a system there's no official information whether or not they will. :(
    edited August 2013
    And I fully agree with the "Foundry Moderators" suggestion which was mentioned early on. Players being able to remove quests at a whim is a no-no but having certain players have prioritized reports would be great. That's merely my personal opinion though and as much as I would love for them to implement such a system there's no official information whether or not they will. :(

Personally, I think it is the only long-term viable option.

All The Best

• casekukcasekuk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree. It is obvious that it is too time consuming for Cryptic to police this themselves, it's a constant war. In situation like this you ask for help from people 'willing' to do it. It should also be obvious that there are many well respected and trusted members of this community.

No one is asking for 'power' the suggestion is simply that their posts get 'priority' over others of a similar content IE: Exploit reports.

This is a smart idea, and a very clever move should Cryptic accept it.

Art
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Part 1: A Mysterious Portal: - NW-DIKGSOTWT
    Part 2: Into the forest: Out now - NW DAVOJC8N7
    Part 3: Through the portal: 50% Finished!
    Part 4: Lvl 113

Does YOUR FOUNDRY need more plays? Try this thread: Click here
    edited August 2013
    I'd nominate Zovya for the position of Foundry Sheriff, because it was only after she posted this thread that anything was ever done about the exploiters. Just my two copper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ananvilhurtzananvilhurtz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd nominate Zovya for the position of Foundry Sheriff, because it was only after she posted this thread that anything was ever done about the exploiters. Just my two copper.

I'll concur, but only if she gets a Sheriff hat.
    Religion - 60 GF (15.3k GS)
    The Seeker - 60 DC (11.5k GS)
    Faithless - 60 CW (10k GS)
    edited August 2013
    Only if I get a gun..... with one bullet I have to keep in my pocket.
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited August 2013
    I want to point out, and applaud Zovya for being the one that thought inside the box, worked with the moderators and developers at cryptic, and didn't propose some extreme negative reaction, that ultimately would have been self defeating.

My kudos and respect goes to her for keeping a calm head, and a right thinking attitude. CHEERS!

P.S. I would never subject you to the odious role of sheriff.
    edited August 2013
    Only if I get a gun..... with one bullet I have to keep in my pocket.

Someone grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show.. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Celantra. You're right. Like I said, this is my sandbox too. I don't want anyone pew-pew-ing in it. Including myself.

Yeah Wushin, I did catch some of the Chronicles of Mayberry.