test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Link Spirit Build fix

flaenflaen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Temple
I was on test yesterday and it seems they patched being able to use Sun Burst and switching to divine mode. Now if you try to cast Sun Burst and click into divine it will not allow the cast to go through. Those who are using Sun Burst this way to keep Linked Spirit up will want to start making changes accordingly.
Post edited by flaen on

Comments

• fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Knew this would happen, glad i didnt use this bug as a crutch. Going to be lots of mad clerics ha.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hope they haven't done it by adding some kind of crude delay.

The last thing Clerics need is yet another blow to their effectiveness by being unable to switch to Divinity mode heals, a core mechanic, fast enough because of some extremely marginal "fix" to one feat that is nowhere near as great as people seem to think it is.

On top of that, managing Linked Spirit uptime actually required dexterity, skill and timing (not always optimal to try to proc it) - most Clerics that I know could not do it - that could almost have been an interesting mechanic in itself.

On the face of it, it all seems a bit pointless, given all the other things they could have been fixing.
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We all knew it was going to be fixed though. The priority for clerics seems to be to fix anything that might give them a slight unintended boost and leave actual fixes til later. Oh and if they give us new armor sets to make em kinda useless.
  • ilovedotailovedota Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Rather stupid thing if they have done it. I have DC 12k and CW 12k.
    Every single dungeon can be done without a DC right now ... just bring some more pots. And defs are pushing DC even further away...
    If things will go this way soon enough groups wount need clerics at all.

And actually this mechanic was very interesting and really required some skill to use it. From now on it will be even more boring to play as cleric.

Stop doing nerfs to DC, this class needs buff badly. As for now its close to useless in pvp and pve it just saves some pots to the group, nothing more.
    In other MMO heal was able to save party members from certain death situation, here nope ... DC just stands and looks how his party members die.
    Give to DC some good single target heal, fix targeting system (though there are ways to do it even now) and stop nerfing DC. This class is already nerfed to oblivion.

Overall, devs if you read it, please dont change Sun Burst, or if you do give us some other skills to HEAL actually lol.
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hmmmm just when i was thinking of going back to using link spirit..... i am on the righteous path and so far its great... but i was thinking of taking healing step and sovereign justice off to get link spirit again.
  • hamjihamji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am glad I chose not to put points into linked spirit, I can't afford another respec.
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ilovedota wrote: »
    Rather stupid thing if they have done it. I have DC 12k and CW 12k.
    Every single dungeon can be done without a DC right now ... just bring some more pots. And defs are pushing DC even further away...
    If things will go this way soon enough groups wount need clerics at all.

And actually this mechanic was very interesting and really required some skill to use it. From now on it will be even more boring to play as cleric.

Stop doing nerfs to DC, this class needs buff badly. As for now its close to useless in pvp and pve it just saves some pots to the group, nothing more.
    In other MMO heal was able to save party members from certain death situation, here nope ... DC just stands and looks how his party members die.
    Give to DC some good single target heal, fix targeting system (though there are ways to do it even now) and stop nerfing DC. This class is already nerfed to oblivion.

Overall, devs if you read it, please dont change Sun Burst, or if you do give us some other skills to HEAL actually lol.

In all fairness every single dungeon can be done without any single class. No dungeon is it necessary to have anything. I have done runs in T2's with no tank, no CW, etc.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If this is indeed true, then this is huge news. THx

I will have to respec for sure.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • uri92uri92 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wtf are you talkin about ?

It's still workin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - DRAGON - ( Mehrea DC 13.1k ) - ( Volsung TR 11.7k )
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They are talking about the fact it is apparently no longer working in the same way with sunburst on the test server. On live currently you can cast sunburst then quickly switch into divinity before sunburst finishes its cast and it will proc linked spirit without using any divinity pip and without throwing the monsters around. People say this has been 'fixed' on the preview/test server so should be coming to live shortly.
    edited August 2013
    If that happens it wouldn't be the end of the world. Would still work with AS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    uri92 wrote: »
    If that happens it wouldn't be the end of the world. Would still work with AS.

Linked Spirit does not proc from non-direct heals, including Astral Shield in Divinity, except in the corner case "Divinity switching" mode of certain standard spells that they are trying to so desperately to fix.

This is why those Clerics who had the skill or were developing it to manage its uptime with the standard spells will spec out of Linked Spirit the second this patch hits since they have no or very little use of the feat otherwise.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Yep. It actually procs on relatively few skills. The general rule seems to be "if it's a skill that gains healing by casting in D, it doesn't proc LS, whereas if it's a heal ANYWAY that simply increases in power/radius/whatever by casting in D, it does".

So astral shield is a no. Forgemasters is a no. Bastion of health is a yes, but...urrgh BoH. Sunburst is a yes and (as it currently works) is awesome, but in future will be a "yes if you don't mind losing a pip of D and blasting monsters all over the shop to the horror of your tank & CW".

Healing word probably procs it, but I seem to single-target like a cretin in this game, so that's out. What's left? Oh, soothing light'll do it, but I'm guessing since you can only sooth one person at a time you'll just do 5 separate mini-procs of 5% rather than one nice big one of 25%.
    edited August 2013
    Will probably be fixed on 22 then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    I still run it and have without ever using the glitch.

I mean no matter what Astral Shield is your main thing. The whole point of my build anyway is dealing with that 4 second window when AS is down.

To do that I use staggered cooldown Hallowed Ground if damage isnt bad and divine armor if it is bad (if i have sufficient Action Points).

Divine + Bastion + linked spirit is enough to overcome that 4 seconds as well if the action points arent there for the above actions.

I have been working on more defensive stats since i dont need anymore power/recovery/crit anyway. These extra defensive stats help on that linked spirit 4 second AS downtime.
  • dullsmiledullsmile Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ilovedota wrote: »

wow, clearly you are a terrible cleric if you cant save your party from "certain death". in a clutch situation with my 10k DC in epic spider or dread vault i have no problem bringing my entire party from near death to nearly full health in about two seconds utilizing divine armor and sunburst+astral shield (so long as linked spirit is still working with the "exploit" of switching to divine mode). if you can't time these out right then you fail. they really do put out enough heals plus temp hps and defense in a combo that if the tank holds all aggro with shield up everyone heals very fast. this isn't the cleric of yesteryear, this is a new breed, more about damage mitigation and defense buffing more than restoring HPs. we don't need any single target heals, HW is okay in some very specific situations, but if you have a good group who are experienced with being in groups and know their roles then the clerics job is stupid easy. Sunburst-Astral Shield-walk up to tank so he can take aggro off you-avoid standing in the red-rinse-repeat. your feats should reflect the abilities that you use most, dont just put points somewhere because people tell you its a good feat.
  • xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What does a fix mean. Near 100% uptime of Linked Spirit by sunburst allowed a not so well equiped group to compete. Because of dimishing return for already high equiped groups it doesnt matter much if you have 3000 or 4000 in a stat which is not power.

It is already hard for an average player with T1 and rank 5 enchants equip to master some of the T2 dungeons. With this change, it will be impossible. So, to do T2 you need to be already T2 equipped and have rank 7+ enchants.

I would say the reason behind this is to boost Zen to AD income of PW. However, the change to BoP then would be not logical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    xiphenon wrote: »
    What does a fix mean. Near 100% uptime of Linked Spirit by sunburst allowed a not so well equiped group to compete. Because of dimishing return for already high equiped groups it doesnt matter much if you have 3000 or 4000 in a stat which is not power.

It is already hard for an average player with T1 and rank 5 enchants equip to master some of the T2 dungeons. With this change, it will be impossible. So, to do T2 you need to be already T2 equipped and have rank 7+ enchants.

I would say the reason behind this is to boost Zen to AD income of PW. However, the change to BoP then would be not logical.

It was a glitch you realize that right? There is not conspiracy to drive profits. There was a glitch where toggling to Sunburst Divinity after casting regular Sunburst was registering the cast as being done with Divinity for the purposes of Linked Spirit, however no Divinity effects happened nor consumption of Divinity occurred.

It was a bug. The entire drawback of Linked Spirit for balancing purposes was that you had to use Divinity to trigger. That is what balanced it. Using divinity is required as a resource sorta to get the benefit. This bug took away and allowed you to get the benefits with no cost.
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem is that DC's give up every other advantage in order to have healing, even though the person who needs it most (the DC) can't use it effectively on himself. This class is more or less pointless.

And yes, Divine Armor can save a group. If your daily is charged up. But if you're not spamming Hallowed Ground as often as possible, I wonder why you're being brought along anyway?

Furthermore, I love how they scramble to fix this "bug", but they don't decide make the ability true to the tooltip and let it proc off AS and FF, our two main heals. Same goes for letting Repurpose Soul proc off Daunting Light, Flamestrike, and Searing Light splash damage. I'd also argue Chains are broken because they never crit in the first place.

But of course, you know, this ONE minor bug was the more important thing to work on. Excuse me while I manually sort my inventory.

Not spending a dime on this game until they get it together.
  • theblazedtheblazed Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem is that DC's give up every other advantage in order to have healing, even though the person who needs it most (the DC) can't use it effectively on himself. This class is more or less pointless.

And yes, Divine Armor can save a group. If you're daily is charged up. But if you're not spamming Hallowed Ground as often as possible, I wonder why you're being brought along anyway?

Furthermore, I love how they scramble to fix this "bug", but they don't decide make the ability true to the tooltip and let it proc of AS and FF, our two main heals. Same goes for letting Repurpose Soul proc off Daunting Light, Flamestrike, and Searing Light splash damage. I'd also argue Chains are broken because they never crit in the first place.

But of course, you know, this ONE minor bug was the more important thing to work on. Excuse me while I manually sort my inventory.

Not spending a dime on this game until they get it together.

Last I played, Linked Spirit proc off both AS and FF.
    edited August 2013
    dullsmile wrote: »
    wow, clearly you are a terrible cleric if you cant save your party from "certain death".

Man, what is it with some people? It's like the default setting for advice is "be as derogatory as possible".
    No "here's how you do it", it's all "lol u fail".

Also (aside from the fact that your 'whole party back to full health' plan relies on having two encounters not on cooldown AND a daily ready), most of your post boils down to "if your party is great, you don't have any problems". Well...yes. If your party is great, you could be a terribad cleric and not have any problems, because your party is great. This is not, however, terribly helpful to players seeking advice. "Get a good party" is a solution, but not a terribly useful one.

*Sigh*

As for the topic: what whistlingdixie said. Seems ludicrous that they scrambled to fix this slightly beneficial bug yet are happy to totally ignore the mass of detrimental bugs indefinitely.
    edited August 2013
    fathomful wrote: »
    It was a glitch you realize that right?

It was a glitch, yes. Instead it should have been a feature from start.

Because without this ability, support DC is becoming even more weaker then before.

But no problem. I respec to damage if that goes life without a buff of the support cleric.

I hope you got enough potions? I think for an easy T2 dungeon you will need around 40. Have fun.

It is something different to "bugfix" rogues, or GWFs or even CWs ... these class perfom fine in PvE and PvP. The support cleric aka leader is currently just unsatifiying.

Rogues can crit for 80 k ... why I can't heal for this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    theblazed wrote: »
    Last I played, Linked Spirit proc off both AS and FF.

You are mistaken. It only looks like that because people often interweave Astral Seal which *does* proc it. No non-heal spell procs Linked Spirit.
    edited August 2013
    Astral seal procs linked spirit?

That...doesn't even begin to make sense. I mean, I'm not complaining, but seriously what the hell, cryptic?
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Astral seal procs linked spirit?

That...doesn't even begin to make sense. I mean, I'm not complaining, but seriously what the hell, cryptic?

Well, it procs it right now on Live using the Divinity switching mode. No idea if it still works on preview. I assume not since Divinity is meaningless to Astral Seal (if the intent was to directly associate the cost of Divinity with Linked Spirit).
    edited August 2013
    xiphenon wrote: »

I hope you got enough potions? I think for an easy T2 dungeon you will need around 40. Have fun.

At most in a T2 group i use maybe 10. 40 is pure hyperbole unless you have severe placement and awareness issues.
  • scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I did point this out some days ago and I seem to recall that Booty did say that Seal still works on preview. Not that it matters since seal will only give each person 5%. The whole point of sb was to abuse the aoe/multiple heal stat bonus. Personally I haven't taken LS for some time. Don't miss it. Don't need it. Maybe for really undergeared groups who lack stats/dps etc it's a boon but for everyone else it's about the same as (almost) every other paragon feat.
  • hamjihamji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Once upon a time I would have agreed with you but not anymore.

Power selection before battle is what causes a Cleric to give up certain advantages. Whether you spec for heals and slot for damage or spec for damage and slot for heals you will still do fine. You will never get the maximum grunt out of your heals unless you properly spec for them and likewise your damage won't be stellar unless you spec for it but honestly the difference isn't all that much.

Making sure you have your powers unlocked and preferably 3/3 in the ones you want to use is the most important factor.
  • modimormodimor Member Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like they are fixing bug that people explioted, sound fine by me.
    edited August 2013
    modimor wrote: »
    Sounds like they are fixing bug that people explioted, sound fine by me.

Sounds to me that you will need at least 2 clerics for dungeon runs.

Reason: You need to bridge the 4 to 5 sec gap when astral shield is down. This is after sunburst nerf only possible by BoH which proc LS in divine mode on mutiple target (full 25% bonus). Sunburst still is necessary for divine and AP generation. So, healing word has to go. This means cleric can only ward one group. Slit group as usually at boss fights means cleric can not cross heal anymore. This means, boss fight group take more damage. Most average player however need healing at boss. This means you need another healer or 2 fighters on boss.

But after TR nerf, TR is not necessary at all, so there is another place for a second DC or another fighter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]