test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Castle Never Really Suppose To Be Played This Way?

2»

Comments

• healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    sangrine wrote: »
    Imagine if people complained about killing mobs in Diablo, which is another hack-n-slash game. These games are based on killing mobs. It's the core gameplay, always has been that way.

False.
    Diablo was based more on killing the bosses/unique mobs.

Why do you think the vast majority of players teleported/lept through dungeons with Enigma?

Although the cow level was an exception but that was more to farm exp.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • dmnyxdmnyx Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think the solution is easy. Make the mobs chests which are spread across the dungeon (not the end boss chest) drop green profession assets such as Tongs, Mailsmiths, swiwel knifes etc. and also blue enchantments and/or some AD (up to 4-5k for lvl 60 dungeons). I think this will convince people to run dungeons while normal times (not just dd time) and make them convinced to play legit.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dmnyx wrote: »
    I think the solution is easy. Make the mobs chests which are spread across the dungeon (not the end boss chest) drop green profession assets such as Tongs, Mailsmiths, swiwel knifes etc. and also blue enchantments and/or some AD (up to 4-5k for lvl 60 dungeons). I think this will convince people to run dungeons while normal times (not just dd time) and make them convinced to play legit.

This idea wouldn't work and it would only destabilize the economy even more than it already is. I will try to explain why this would be the case.

(This explanation is not an exploit as far as my understanding goes but if it is feel free to sensor it.)

Right now you use high level story quests to farm nodes. All you do is not complete high level story quests. You go in the story quest dungeons and you farm the nodes and then leave. You never complete the quest, you just rinse and repeat without anyone getting in your way or stealing your nodes. You don't have to turn anything in and you don't have to pick up a new quest. Just leave and re-enter and farm away. You can make a ton of gold and enchantments in just a few hours.

Now this proves that the devs are short sighted and don't take any consideration to game development loopholes. There is really no way to prevent a player from intentionally NOT completing a quest. The only real way to "fix" this would to either save progress on all quests, so there by re-entering a dungeon you would have it pick back up where you left off. All the nodes would be empty, chests included and all the monsters will also be dead except for the ones you left. However; this would require a vast amount of memory and saving in the character database. Something I doubt cryptic would want to undertake.

All other fixes would punish players from actually playing they they try to do already. If you farm map nodes after a certain amount of time they become inactive and only give you junk as rewards. This punishes legit players as an attempt to prevent bots from becoming enchantment farmers. Turning off nodes does nothing to prevent bots it only punishes players and forces them to find something else to do with their time in game meanwhile those bots who farmed out hundreds of thousands of enchantments before changes were made make hundreds of thousands of AD on selling them on the AH. Punishing legit players once again through a poorly thought out solution.

So how does any of this have any bearing on what your dungeon delve solution? Find a dungeon that is quick and easy to run where you can get 1 chest the quickest, rinse and repeat. You will farm the hell out of green profession assets and get 4 to 5k ad potentially per run? I can see it now, players will find out the quickest run and zone chat will be flooded with messages like..

Spider Temple first boss loot runs! Taking any class, only need GS to get in.

Why? Because it's a mad dash for 1 chest to get profession assets to sell and the potential chance at 4 to 5k ad for a few minute worth of fighting.
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agreed, extra predictable rewards are a bad idea. Its much safer to change the loot table for mobs to have a chance for items to drop in epic dungeons.
  • teezy604teezy604 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sangrine wrote: »
    People who defend exploitation on this forum need an excuse to promote their agenda on this forum, if they want neverwinter staff to seriously listen to them. The common excuse on this forum is ... killing mobs is boring and/or unrewarding, therefore we exploit (skip mobs, speed run, ....)

I play NW mainly because I enjoy the combat and atmosphere and stories. Unlike you, I love killing mobs. Neverwinter is a hack-n-slash mob killing game. People who don't enjoy killing mobs should find another game to play. Imagine if people complained about killing mobs in Diablo, which is another hack-n-slash game. These games are based on killing mobs. It's the core gameplay, always has been that way.

I don't play Neverwinter mainly to farm. I was just pointing out that mobs do drop items of significant value (compared to some boss and DD chest loot). I play Foundry mission because I enjoy them. To me, the free enchants are simply a bonus. As for me, I am not interested in speed running or exploiting dungeons. Only dungeon I speed run in is Fardelvers because usually most players sit at the first camp until the second camp is active. They refuse to move or fight until the second camp is active. I can't kill every mob by myself and I'm not going to stand idle by a camp fire while someone else runs the dungeon for me. Either I speed run and terrain exploit, or I don't play Fardelver crypt. I tried to find non-speed Fardelver's crypt party but failed numerous times. Today, I was fortunate to fully run dwarf king crypt. Almost no one runs that dungeon because it's much harder to farm. It's sad that farmers seem to outnumber non-farmers.

No wonder why you're bad. You think this is a hack and slash game like Diablo. You're playing the wrong game if you're looking for a hack and slash buddy. I can understand you enjoy the combat and atmosphere (every zone is boring as hell), but the story? Lol, I'm sure even the foundry quests have awesome stories just like the main quest story! You're clearly clueless if you think people play this game (A MMORPG!) to kill trash mobs over and over again. Same thing for Diablo. Maybe it's time for you to uninstall and pick up that ipad and play candy crush, or is that game also too hard for you?

Still thinking exploiters need a excuse to exploit.......they exploit because they can. They don't care what you think or what the devs think. They shove it in your face so people like you will rage and QQ about it, which is a win win situation for them. You did a full dwarf king run because your group is bad. If they were good they would've done a "speed run" and just run past all the mobs straight to the boss. Since when was running past mobs a exploit in any game? People don't run that dungeon because it's not worth the time, not because it's much harder. The boss has way too much hp and takes 10 minutes to kill. It's sad to see that clueless baddies seem to outnumber good players. Do yourself a favor and uninstall, you'll thank me for it!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    teezy604 wrote: »
    You're clearly clueless if you think people play this game (A MMORPG!) to kill trash mobs over and over again.

So why are they playing a game then? Watching a worthless pile of virtual currencies growing? Watching an avatar getting <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> looking gear? You're funny. you made my day. Looks like many exploiters have many RL frustrations to evacuate in games.

Normal people play a game (be it neverwinter or monopoly) to have fun and hope they win. If you rob the bank, there's no fun for anyone, it's as simple as that. There are rules to make a game fun, not to challenge people to find new ways to grab all the cash while the banker isn't paying attention. :rolleyes:

By the way, insulting people who don't agree with you is really infantile. Now try with me, entertain me.
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    So why are they playing a game then? Watching a worthless pile of virtual currencies growing? Watching an avatar getting <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> looking gear? You're funny. you made my day. Looks like many exploiters have many RL frustrations to evacuate in games.

Normal people play a game (be it neverwinter or monopoly) to have fun and hope they win. If you rob the bank, there's no fun for anyone, it's as simple as that. There are rules to make a game fun, not to challenge people to find new ways to grab all the cash while the banker isn't paying attention. :rolleyes:

By the way, insulting people who don't agree with you is really infantile. Now try with me, entertain me.

I think you should have the reward for the worst analogy ever made.

A better analogy would be more like, you have a hundred different banks that can potentially be robbed and each attempt takes five minutes before you find out if you are successful. But when you are successful you only get a dollar and a half for the time.

I don't know how many times I have ran castle never during a dungeon delve and got a necklace worse than a t1 for loot reward. Nothing else. So I spend probably twenty potions and five injury kits during the run which is roughly around five gold give or take for a piece of gear that wont even make me 1 gold or 4k AD. The ONLY saving grace is that I didn't have to kill every monster and it only took 45 minutes. If it took longer I wouldn't even do it. I would rather go find a game that rewards better for a hour of invested time.
  • griz024griz024 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Ive done t2s where we killed most of the mobs and didnt use shortcuts, and you know what? It was boring tedious and unrewarding.

In the end i got about 5 enchants, maybe 6. The rest of the drops were useless greens. Also since, for some ungodly reason, t2 trash drops like 4cooper per kill i ended up getting MAYBE a few silver at the end. That is what? The cost of a single kit? Worthless when you use way more than one kit per run.

In the end the only things that dropped that were worth anything were the boss drops.

So why go through all that trouble when the only real rewards are from the bosses? Even if you get 10 enchants, and they are all darks, a single crappy ring from a boss is worth almost the same amount.

There is no reward for the time invested when doing a t2 without shortcuts. I could get the same amount of crappy enchants doing the right foundry and it would take 1/4 of the time.

The way i look at it, doing shortcut-free t2 is like being a veggie picker- tons of work with lil reward. Maybe if the trash mobs were interesting to fight (not just the same mobs from the world), didnt have huge health pools which make killing them take forever, or there were not 1000 of them around every corner i would think differently.

Basically, if devs had made the content more engaging i, personally, wouldnt skip everything, or if fighting all the trash had real, worthwhile rewards.
  • teezy604teezy604 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013

STILL denying the truth. Maybe you should read some of the post like the 2 below you from people who have actually played this game and know what the hell they are doing. I didn't insult you, I only spoke the truth but people like you will never aceept they're bad cause you can't handle the truth! You keep thinking the way you do about exploiters if that's what makes you feel better. I do what I do in game cause it's fun for me. Those rage posts that people make about getting graveyard camped in all 3 pvp maps are what makes this game fun for me. People crying about TR being OP makes this game fun for me. I also enjoy getting loots worth using and sell for the time I spend.

Of course if you're a baddie you'll never be able to enjoy the luxury of those things cause all you'll be doing is killing trash mobs and dying. Another thing that amazes me is baddies seem to bring out the "I know your RL issues" as your only defense when they make you cry. They talk as if you know that person. Have fun caring about other people's RL while you live a miserable one!
    edited July 2013
    teezy604 wrote: »
    STILL denying the truth. Maybe you should read some of the post like the 2 below you from people who have actually played this game and know what the hell they are doing. I didn't insult you, I only spoke the truth but people like you will never aceept they're bad cause you can't handle the truth! You keep thinking the way you do about exploiters if that's what makes you feel better. I do what I do in game cause it's fun for me. Those rage posts that people make about getting graveyard camped in all 3 pvp maps are what makes this game fun for me. People crying about TR being OP makes this game fun for me. I also enjoy getting loots worth using and sell for the time I spend.

Of course if you're a baddie you'll never be able to enjoy the luxury of those things cause all you'll be doing is killing trash mobs and dying. Another thing that amazes me is baddies seem to bring out the "I know your RL issues" as your only defense when they make you cry. They talk as if you know that person. Have fun caring about other people's RL while you live a miserable one!

Quite funny, but you can do better. FYI the "baddie" can do legit CN runs in 1h15, with the boss fight, with the right team. Reading your exploits take up to 45 mins is funny. Who's the baddy, mate.

I'm not really angry or frustrated or anything like that, i'm just contributing in a useful way. Making videos of shortcuts entertain me, sending them to the development team entertain me, so i keep doing it. And i will be happy when "baddies" will cry because they can't do CN in a reasonable time frame. Because i don't want to see players with bad gaming skills having the best gear in game without buying it from skilled players. :o

If you die in CN, well... LOL.
  • artoahartoah Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Cryptic makes the issue much worse by making dungeons take FOREVER and all of the trash mobs drop nothing of value making bypassing extremely useful.

Agreed. Make trash less boring or just have fewer mobs.

We did CN without fighting anything for a long time when the campfires were still exploited. I quit the game recently because maxed gear and nothing to do at all.
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Doh...

PEople have been skipping thru CN first the first few days.

Im suprised people are still talking about/running CN?

Been full CN geared for ever, I dont evcen play this PoS anymore.
  • selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have yet to run CN. I refuse to until I can find a group that wants to do a full run Legit and I know can stay the whole way. So my question would be for those who have done it, what group makeup do you suggest? Will a GF be needed?

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • revealedrevealed Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    artoah wrote: »
    Agreed. Make trash less boring or just have fewer mobs.

We did CN without fighting anything for a long time when the campfires were still exploited. I quit the game recently because maxed gear and nothing to do at all.

Your quote is perfect. You skipped out on doing dungeons properly and then in the same breath complain that you have nothing left to do. People here are asking for a carrot to do the trash mobs and don't understand the trash mobs are supposed to slow the game down. You can complain that it's boring all you like but the fact of the matter is that a MMORPG needs to have a grind of some sort. If it doesn't take a long time to completely deck out a gear set the gear set has no value.
    edited July 2013
    revealed wrote: »
    the fact of the matter is that a MMORPG needs to have a grind of some sort.

No. Crappy developers have sold you on the idea that an mmo needs some sort of grind. Poorly thought out game mechanics leads to grinding. Games that just mimic the last game that came out leads to the same sort of mindless boring grinding. I can think of one idea that would have made players WANT to kill mobs vs ignore them.

What if every mob you kill drops materials that are used to create top tear items by assembling you can make the type of gear with the type of attributes that you want for your character? So rather than have the boss drop loot that you dont' care about, every mob drops materials that you can use to assemble the type of gear that you DO want. You wouldn't have to argue over BoP or bound items or broken economies because it's based on the materials. You allow these materials to be sold as well that way players can decide to keep them for more gear or sell them. I'm not talking about the stupid seal system that is currently in the game. The seal concept is broken and backwards. It takes MORE time to collect seals than they are worth because your chances are HIGHER to get better equipment while collecting seals. Making seals worthless. But I guess this idea is just too radical or difficult to implement.
    edited July 2013
    krumple01 wrote: »
    No. Crappy developers have sold you on the idea that an mmo needs some sort of grind. Poorly thought out game mechanics leads to grinding. Games that just mimic the last game that came out leads to the same sort of mindless boring grinding. I can think of one idea that would have made players WANT to kill mobs vs ignore them.

What if every mob you kill drops materials that are used to create top tear items by assembling you can make the type of gear with the type of attributes that you want for your character? So rather than have the boss drop loot that you dont' care about, every mob drops materials that you can use to assemble the type of gear that you DO want. You wouldn't have to argue over BoP or bound items or broken economies because it's based on the materials. You allow these materials to be sold as well that way players can decide to keep them for more gear or sell them. I'm not talking about the stupid seal system that is currently in the game. The seal concept is broken and backwards. It takes MORE time to collect seals than they are worth because your chances are HIGHER to get better equipment while collecting seals. Making seals worthless. But I guess this idea is just too radical or difficult to implement.

So you're asking here the devs to add drops to mobs like... um... Enchantments? Crafting materials? And even bounty items? Hey, i have an idea, the bounty items could be named 'ashes of the past'. Would be cool if it was in game, isn't it?
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So you're asking here the devs to add drops to mobs like... um... Enchantments? Crafting materials? And even bounty items? Hey, i have an idea, the bounty items could be named 'ashes of the past'. Would be cool if it was in game, isn't it?

Might be if there was someplace to turn them in at...
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    People that judge others because they find some of the dungeons long can shut up.

The dungeons are long and tedious. Once you have run them 20+ times you will agree. You get 50 copper and maybe a potion for killing that group of mobs that you could have walked by..BIG WHOPPIE! People like to get to the boss fights and loot. Making people fight 300 trash mobs along the way is nothing but a time constraint with little reward. You stick to your guns and kill every mob along the way....eventually you will see why we skip mobs. Until then take your uppity high brow attitude and go elsewhere.
    edited July 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    People that judge others because they find some of the dungeons long can shut up.

The dungeons are long and tedious. Once you have run them 20+ times you will agree. You get 50 copper and maybe a potion for killing that group of mobs that you could have walked by..BIG WHOPPIE! People like to get to the boss fights and loot. Making people fight 300 trash mobs along the way is nothing but a time constraint with little reward. You stick to your guns and kill every mob along the way....eventually you will see why we skip mobs. Until then take your uppity high brow attitude and go elsewhere.

The typical exploiter: aggressive and frustrated. One question though: why do you keep playing a game you don't enjoy? Why not doing something else?
  • revealedrevealed Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    krumple01 wrote: »

If you think it through your system would end up in the same exact place that this game has. The only currency which means anything in a MMO is time. If you put in more time (or money) you get better better stats. If you make a game that doesn't take a long time to get competitive there is no reason to play it competitively. If it takes 4 hours of game play to reach max level with max gear then max level and max gear are meaningless - everyone has them. Therefore, EVERY MMO that wants to have a competitive aspect needs to have either high skill requirements (i.e. Starcraft (not a MMO)) or large amounts of grinding (which is generally required for high skill!).

Your proposal is to have mobs drop materials which you then use to turn into gear. While your system seems like it has some cool features to it (it's very customizable!) at the end of the day, you're still grinding mobs to progress. As for your idea, it seems like you might have the exact opposite problem - you would have people who try and exploit and move past bosses just to get to more mobs. You could end up with people who grind the mobs up to the first boss in a dungeon, then leave and regrind the same over again.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do enjoy the game and i think 3 hours to complete CN is stupid to say at least. I've killed draco more than 50 times, done hundreds of dungeon runs... i hate exploiting, and i like to do "slow" runs on a weekly basis with guildies... but skipping mobs cannot be considered exploiting, my PnP players would be rewarded for it, instead of punished...right now, in CN you must kill all 4 bosses, you kill a good chunk of mobs between bosses 1 and 3... you do 45 minutes of run, seems pretty legit to me, a good duration for everybody, not all the players can have hours of his time to play CN, so... working people should refuse to do it? and yeah, 12k avg experienced groups can do the full run in 90 minutes without a lot of problems, but the run is not more enjoyable, is the freaking same... singularity, singularity, lure the next room while sings are up... moar singularities...push mobs, push mobs, push mobs, now, again ,singularity, rinse and repeat... you're not doing anything worth ****, youre just prolonging something that is boring per se...
    You kill a Gelatinous cube, that's great, i mean it.