Talli0's New Quest - Part2 Paying the Piper - Review Trade

talli0talli0 Member Posts: 67
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
Paying the Piper
Chapter 2 of No Country for Old Undead
Short Code: NW-DCY8EUXVT
Estimated play time of 25-30 minutes

Brief synopsis of the campaign:
History is full of examples of the depravity of men who are given unlimited power. To what depths will one such man lie, cheat, steal, murder or destroy to win back his soul?

Chapter 2 follows shortly on the heels of Chapter 1 The Dark Garden (click here for more information on chapter 1). While the first chapter focused on the setting and introducing the main characters, this second chapter is all meant to be all about the action. If this campaign were a movie, this is where the car chases, explosions and shoot outs all would be (at least that is my intent). There is still a fair bit of story going on but I was really attempting to include a few sections that were meant to get your heart pumping.

So, looking for beta reviewers to run my quest and provide any feedback they can provide, specifically including pacing, challenge and if they find anyway to break my quest. I'm also definitely willing to provide review trades, so include your short code below and I'm usually able to get to your quest within a day or two.
Talli0's Foundry:

No Country for Old Undead
Post edited by talli0 on

Comments

• talli0talli0 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    Recently pushed through some significant changes and updates to the quest so looking for more people to run through it and provide me feedback.

I'm still considering it a beta quest but right now everything seems to be working and I'm looking more for ideas of how challenging it is, things I can tweak and anything to add to make it feel more epic.

Thanks everyone for helping out! If your looking for it, leave your short code below and I'll review yours as well!
    Talli0's Foundry:

• lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'll play through both of your quests :), Check my signature for Trials of Five, Brethren campaign.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • xpurpleinsanityxxpurpleinsanityx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Very brilliantly done overall! The only problems that I ran into was ...well, major lag, but that may have been from me having my client open too long..not sure on that. It made the encounters incredibly difficult. I'm not sure if it was just the lag that I was experiencing, but I had a very hard time with the combat as a solo 60 TR. The riddle tree was great, I loved that. :D Only other thing is maybe you should move the respawn a little further into the sewers? I died 5 times in there (lag) and the run back was a little drawn out.

Thanks!
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Respawn has been moved.

I've been worried about lag for a bit with how much fog, mist and water I use. The quest lags like crazy in the foundry (even though my first one never did) but has been pretty smooth for me when I run it on live. Guess I'll wait for more feedback and see if/where it lags for other people. In my first quest, a couple of people (out of the 100+ who ran it) mentioned lag in the mist zone so hopefully this lag doesn't happen for everyone. I'd hate to have to scrap the water after spending the time to put it in and look good.

Other than that, would you say that there were any encounters/areas that were particularly crazy-hard and could be toned down a bit? Or do you think it would have been fine with no lag?

And Lolsorhand, I think I've run one of your quests before but will definitely work my way through your campaign. Do they work well for groups? Been looking for a good set of quests for my regular group to run through.
    Talli0's Foundry:

• lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    talli0 wrote: »

I've been worried about lag for a bit with how much fog, mist and water I use. The quest lags like crazy in the foundry (even though my first one never did) but has been pretty smooth for me when I run it on live. Guess I'll wait for more feedback and see if/where it lags for other people. In my first quest, a couple of people (out of the 100+ who ran it) mentioned lag in the mist zone so hopefully this lag doesn't happen for everyone. I'd hate to have to scrap the water after spending the time to put it in and look good.

Other than that, would you say that there were any encounters/areas that were particularly crazy-hard and could be toned down a bit? Or do you think it would have been fine with no lag?

And Lolsorhand, I think I've run one of your quests before but will definitely work my way through your campaign. Do they work well for groups? Been looking for a good set of quests for my regular group to run through.

Part 1 and two has a group settings, the third part is made to be soloed but can be run with a group indeed.
    I like turtles.

• xpurpleinsanityxxpurpleinsanityx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I think I would have had a fine, but challenging time without the lag. I'm inclined to say don't tone them down.
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
    edited July 2013
    Played and reviewed. Like this one keep up the good work!

I'll send you the details in PM.
    I like turtles.

• feuygarfeuygar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Hi, I enjoyed your quest and gave it top marks :)

Overall, I liked the transition from environment to environment which the FX helped made interesting. Each time I thought the story was going to be clichey (doesn't like the accent) it turned out to be quality and enjoyable.

There's a few typo's

Ghost - an whispered
    Dwarf - thr door
    In the crypt - object named as "graveyard plaque 01"
    Baron - ctach

Possible improvements:
    Opening chat may turn off a few people due to it's length and the physics gobble-de-guuk (doesn't like real work)
    Final chest is in the air
    Crypts were very dark which made moving around difficult sometimes.
    The story just stopped as you were pulled out of the quantum leap. I felt left a bit in limbo wanting to solve the mystery but with no explanation on how that could happen.

Please return the favour and review my quest
    , I think you'll enjoy the story based on your creation.

422 - Yeenoghu's Bride

NW-DUMTEJ9KZ

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?411131-Proud-to-present-for-reviews-422-Yeenoghu-s-Bride
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the review and for catching the typos!

The physics talk is from part 1 and was a part most people really enjoyed so it's going to be in all the chapters. I may make it optional dialog choices like I did in part 1 though so I don't annoy people that are not into it.

Fixed the chest and am currently revamping the crypts to bring more light in.

I know the ending is abrupt but I'm hoping most people have played through part 1 which provides a bit more explanation and therefore people would be used to it by part2.

Again thanks for the review and as long as real-life doesn't get in the way (my wife's due date is today and so a baby could be coming anytime now), I'll get to your quest and part 1 of lolsorhand's tonight.
    Talli0's Foundry:

edited July 2013
    Thanks for the review and for catching the typos!

The physics talk is from part 1 and was a part most people really enjoyed so it's going to be in all the chapters. I may make it optional dialog choices like I did in part 1 though so I don't annoy people that are not into it.

Fixed the chest and am currently revamping the crypts to bring more light in.

I know the ending is abrupt but I'm hoping most people have played through part 1 which provides a bit more explanation and therefore people would be used to it by part2.

Again thanks for the review and as long as real-life doesn't get in the way (my wife's due date is today and so a baby could be coming anytime now), I'll get to your quest and part 1 of lolsorhand's tonight.

Grats! :3 That's awesome, not my quest but your wife. Good luck! Hehe
    I like turtles.

edited July 2013
    Review sent in a PM to Feuygar.

Lolsorhand, thanks. Still trying to get my group all online at the same time to run through your stuff.
    Talli0's Foundry:

edited July 2013
    Review sent in a PM to Feuygar.

Lolsorhand, thanks. Still trying to get my group all online at the same time to run through your stuff.

Hehe fun times :) I wish the the best of luck!

Edit: And my the purples find their way :p
    I like turtles.

edited July 2013
    I've put in some major work polishing this so I'm still looking for people who want to do review trades.
    Talli0's Foundry:

• yipykayeyipykaye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Just played your quest. Haven't played the first one yet so I was a little behind with storyline.
    Not a bad quest. Felt a little drawn out at times.

Couple things i noticed.
    When doing the riddle I thought it said there were 3 things around us to collect, which I did but I didnt realise that i needed to find more. Took a bit to ride around and look for everything. The hourglass didnt show up at all I just happened to see the interact text pop up. Between the hourglass and key there is a trap floating in the middle of nowhere. I see what you were trying to do with traps but i personally don't like them. Got rooted near the tree when i didnt have correct answer.

In the crypt below church it was annoying that they kept spawning behind me and i would have to turn back to find where they aggroed and kill them.
    A few spelling mistakes and the wording is quite heavy which i began to skip sometimes.

Over all not bad and with some polishing people will enjoy this quest.
    "A Time Long Forgotten"
    Whispers in the Forest NW-DPJGEXZJ8 - Daily
    A Salty Sailor's Brew NW-DMOZP625S - Daily
    Bonds of a Brother NW-DCP9XPZHI - Daily
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the comments. Forgot I keep meaning to fix that stupid invisible hourglass.

Are you looking for reviews for one of your quests?
    Talli0's Foundry:

• yipykayeyipykaye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the comments. Forgot I keep meaning to fix that stupid invisible hourglass.

Are you looking for reviews for one of your quests?

Yes for sure. Mine are in a campaign. Quest 1 and 3 deal more closely with the overall story quest 2 is a prelude to quest 1.
    If your up for a couple start from scratch. If you only have time for 1 try the second because you don't need more story to understand it. Thanks
    "A Time Long Forgotten"
    Whispers in the Forest NW-DPJGEXZJ8 - Daily
    A Salty Sailor's Brew NW-DMOZP625S - Daily
    Bonds of a Brother NW-DCP9XPZHI - Daily
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Good quest and interesting story arc. had a lot of fun. noticed that the light houses in the mist area are floating about 1/2 a foot above the ground. and when doing the riddle tree the third question never showed up. it just repeated what he said when i solved the second one. (i was able to get past but i had to do it the hard way and guess everything till i got the right one.)
    good quest looking forward to the next one.
    if you wouldnt mind taking a look at the ruined temple it's in my sig and still needs plays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Others seem to have had more luck with this adventure than I did. I was enjoying the quest until things got really hairy while "Exploring the Mists." I read what you said about the overwhelming encounters existing to drive the player forward. Once I realized I was at the point where there were just too many mobs, I kept pressing on. Unfortunately, it cost me some health potions to stay alive as I ran (played as a well-geared Level 60 Cleric), and then I ran into a dead end and couldn't fight my way back out. Tried it again, and this time I attempted to follow the sparkling trail once the chase was on. (Yeah, yeah... I know. That sparkling trail is never reliable.) Once again, I found myself in what appeared to be a dead end. I was overwhelmed and died a second time. So I stepped out instead of finishing the adventure.

But I really would enjoy giving it another go at some point. I liked what I was seeing. Some notes I was taking as I played:

* It's always fun to start a quest in a different zone, and your starting point was great.

* The dialogue with the Ghost was amusing (I like the guy. Can I have him as a Companion? :p )

* I wonder if putting a book with a summary of "The Dark Garden" at the beginning of the quest might be more helpful than just referring players to go try that one first.

* Also, when the Ghost says, "Just the chap," does that work if the player is female?

I'll be back... :)
    edited July 2013
    Sorry about the riddle. I changed one little thing last night and somehow that riddle got deleted. Noticed it in my playthrough last night at 1AM but was too tired to fix it before bed. It's been fixed in an emergency publish this morning.

And docScooter, sorry about getting stuck in the mists. I've been thinking about changing up my warning a bit for just this reason and now I see it is warranted. Besides always wanting to push on, there a few places where the path branches and so if you find yourself with alot of hard mobs in front of you, it may be a better idea to quickly head back and choose a different path then try to push ahead.

Anyways, thanks for the plays, for the good comments and I'll try to get to both of your quests either tonight or this weekend.
    Talli0's Foundry:

edited July 2013
    Still looking for more trade reviews! Finishing up the last review I owe so looking to fill up my queue again :)
    Talli0's Foundry: