test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So that's the game we're playing Neverwinter?

2»

Comments

• Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    they are obviously trying to keep paid content mostly cosmetic sun and moon elves hve near identical stats to each other. as far as rp goes people have been playing sun and moon elves just by coloring wood elves. so so its kinda like an elaborate fashion object.

you had to pay wow to play a panda, bloodelf, dranai and deathnight/monk as well as the content AND pay 15 a month to boot. in NWO the 60$pack is mostly cosmetic the content classes and areas and a similar race are free.

and 60$ is a good deal as was posted before my frankly im surprised and lass they didn't charge double or even 200$ as far as people complaing about wards and stuff that's what the 600000 ad is for to keep you in wards and health stones for 4 months. though me and my hubby have hardly had to put a dime into this game other than the packs thanks to crafting, auction house, and dailies.. and if you look at my sig its obvious ive not been living cheaply either.

plus what do you really hope to acomplish here you trying to shame pwe? all your doing is entertaining know it alls like me and feeding trolls.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Heck, the OTHER D&D mmo has a bunch of races that require you to buy.

Drow can be unlocked without paying, I think, but war forged, half-elf, and half-Orc require turbine points.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Um. The devs still need to get paid for the development of the content somehow.
    How do you think that happens?

Nobody is arguing that Cryptic should not make money. It's the way they make money that is under discussion.
    $60 for Moon Elf seems like a better deal than $200 for Menzo Drow.
    You get a free new race - and have to pay if you want the variant.
    I don't see why that's a game-stopper.

Better still is $0 for Human, Dwarf, Halforc, Wood Elf, Halfling, and Half Elf.

This is a good way to hurt yourself finanacially. When a seller or buyer sets an outrageous price on something, it's not wise to use it as a referance for other prices. It's better to call it what it is, an outrageous price, and ignore it in your pricing calculations.
    Following the patterns we've seen before...
    We might get Genasi and Dragonborn for free and have to pay for Svirfneblin and then get Gnomes for free 2 months later.
    Or we might get Gnomes, Dragonborn and Air/Earth/Fire/Water Genasi for free, but have to pay for Storm Genasi.
    I don't see why either of those scenarios would be a problem.

I'd rather PWE make them all high quality and get them all for a good price I can afford and decide for myself which I prefer.

PWE is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up royally with it's pricing scheme, as far as I'm concerned in light of my enjoyment or lack of for this game. If they had made the game free to play for one human character of any of the 5 base classes and charged a customer friendly price for the remainder of the content and made the game fast, fluid, and high quality, I would have been happy to spend the money. But, $60 for a hand full of stuff for a game that does not have much content anyway, nor a very high quality, nor fast fluid action, and nickle'n'dimes me every step I take, seems like a complete waste of my money to me.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Heck, the OTHER D&D mmo has a bunch of races that require you to buy.

Drow can be unlocked without paying, I think, but war forged, half-elf, and half-Orc require turbine points.

This is very true. But DDO was up front and transparent about it. Cryptic isn't, and it seems to me as if they're doing everything they can to change the fact that statements were made in these very forums that they won't ever sell anything other than cosmetic items.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    But it's the case that in F2P/freemium games, most people do not pay anything or pay only a modest amount. They make most of their money from a small percentage of players who spend a lot. I guess that's who you are referring to as "competitive" players?

I think that there are far more people than you think spending an average of $20 / month or more. Of those spending I am sure the 80/20 rule applies and 20% are spending a lot. There is no way a "few" people spending a lot supports the business model.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i don't understand why people come here to complain about something that isn't going to change. special races are an incentive for you to spend money in an otherwise free to play game. same with the other exclusive items found in the packs... whether you think the pack is "worth it" is irrelevant. because if it isn't worth the purchase to you, you don't freaking buy it. you don't need to sit there and calculate how much this company is making or who's getting paid... you're not the board of investors. it's not like the company is doing anything shady or illegal. the fact of the matter is that this is a gaming company and there are operational costs involved. the game is free to play, however. and they have developed incentives for the players to want to contribute monetarily. if you disagree with the way they do business... you take your business elsewhere. the packs aren't going away and the incentives to buy them will likely continue.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i don't understand why people come here to complain about something that isn't going to change. special races are an incentive for you to spend money in an otherwise free to play game. same with the other exclusive items found in the packs... whether you think the pack is "worth it" is irrelevant. because if it isn't worth the purchase to you, you don't freaking buy it. you don't need to sit there and calculate how much this company is making or who's getting paid... you're not the board of investors. it's not like the company is doing anything shady or illegal. the fact of the matter is that this is a gaming company and there are operational costs involved. the game is free to play, however. and they have developed incentives for the players to want to contribute monetarily. if you disagree with the way they do business... you take your business elsewhere. the packs aren't going away and the incentives to buy them will likely continue.

1) I've already taken my business elsewhere. It is still a free to play game, though. I don't have to pay to play.
    2) I realize that "vote with my wallet" is the MOST effective strategy I can employ.
    3) I come here to post what displeases me, because in the off hand that Craptic DOES actually pay attention to its customer base beyond sales(and any wise company does) they at least know why I'm not spending and can address the issue. Or ignore the issue and keep right on chugging along.

• Options
    mightymoosemightymoose Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    siolenas wrote: »
    Really. When you saw that PWE was involved did you expect anything else.

Every other PWE MMO I've played so far has offered all races and classes for free. Cryptic is an exception rather than the rule (I heard they also did this in STO, but can't confirm cause I no longer have it on my computer). Having said that, Turbine charges money for many of their races/classes too (in both LOTRO and DDO), so it's not like its something new to F2P MMOs.
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013

First of all, we are not talking about "special races", we are talking about standard D&D player races.

Second, we realize the company has to make money, but that can be taken too far. When that happens people leave, and the game loses money, rather than makes money. As the population decreases more people leave, and the downward spiral begins.

People should be free and, in fact, encouraged, to provide feedback when they see things they don't like. Telling people to leave while discouraging them from providing feedback does far more to hurt the game than to help it. MMO's need players to survive, and you can only afford to lose so many before everything collapses. Sure some people just whine about everything, but some concerns are valid. This one is valid.

Here's the thing, people keep referring to the F2P players, as if that is all that plays this game. The fact is, there are many who have come from other MMO's that were subscription based. Those are the people they are going to be losing. They have certain expectations from an MMORPG, and this game does not meet them. In order to get a fraction of what they get in a subscription based MMO for a lot more money. Alt-aholics, a large percentage of the MMORPG community, are affected the most, because all their costs are multiplied.

It seems that all these pricing schemes are, as others have said, nothing but money grabs, hoping to get a lot of money in the short term without the concern of long-term sustainability.

By all means, offer preorder packs, but as soon as they start charging for races, or classes, that will be one more nail in the coffin. And people should absolutely let their feelings be known BEFORE they leave.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    1) I've already taken my business elsewhere. It is still a free to play game, though. I don't have to pay to play.
    2) I realize that "vote with my wallet" is the MOST effective strategy I can employ.
    3) I come here to post what displeases me, because in the off hand that Craptic DOES actually pay attention to its customer base beyond sales(and any wise company does) they at least know why I'm not spending and can address the issue. Or ignore the issue and keep right on chugging along.

if you don't play this game, why would you waste your time coming here to complain? geeze, do you picket your local retailers, too, if they don't meet your expectations?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    vientor wrote: »
    First of all, we are not talking about "special races", we are talking about standard D&D player races.

Second, we realize the company has to make money, but that can be taken too far. When that happens people leave, and the game loses money, rather than makes money. As the population decreases more people leave, and the downward spiral begins.

People should be free and, in fact, encouraged, to provide feedback when they see things they don't like. Telling people to leave while discouraging them from providing feedback does far more to hurt the game than to help it. MMO's need players to survive, and you can only afford to lose so many before everything collapses. Sure some people just whine about everything, but some concerns are valid. This one is valid.

Here's the thing, people keep referring to the F2P players, as if that is all that plays this game. The fact is, there are many who have come from other MMO's that were subscription based. Those are the people they are going to be losing. They have certain expectations from an MMORPG, and this game does not meet them. In order to get a fraction of what they get in a subscription based MMO for a lot more money. Alt-aholics, a large percentage of the MMORPG community, are affected the most, because all their costs are multiplied.

It seems that all these pricing schemes are, as others have said, nothing but money grabs, hoping to get a lot of money in the short term without the concern of long-term sustainability.

By all means, offer preorder packs, but as soon as they start charging for races, or classes, that will be one more nail in the coffin. And people should absolutely let their feelings be known BEFORE they leave.

for all intents and purposes, they are special races if they are only available through a specific channel. as a company that is providing a free service but still has overhead costs, it is their right as a for profit company to achieve this through whatever lawful way that is. developing content that isn't otherwise available for free is one way for them to do that.

and as far as money making taken too far... companies like microsoft have been investigated for "taking it too far" but i seriously doubt that cryptic or pwe are anywhere near that mark. again, this is a free to play game. if you don't think it's fair that you have to pay $60 to play a sun/moon elf or whichever it is... this is not a new practice. the founding hero of the north packs had a special race of drow as part of that package. while drow will eventually be available as an option, they won't be the same sub species of drow. this is what's called an incentive to purchase. since the game is free to play, you don't need to be a menzoberranzan drow to complete the game. i mean, the company could have developed an ad system within the game as a way to great in-game revenue. this way, players that want to pay money for incentive items can do so and those that don't want to pay can continue playing for free... and no one has to be forced to watch ad cut-scenes in between map areas.

no one is saying that you can't provide feedback. this is the internet... no matter how illogical the argument, you are free to argue whatever you like. it still doesn't change the facts that cryptic/pwe are a for-profit company and this is the way they've decided to generate revenue for their game. you can pay or not pay... or if you so choose, you can complain to other like-minded individuals and hope that someone, somewhere with say within the company will make the changes you want them to make.

and why are you so concerned if people stop playing this game? or if the game loses money? or if the population decreases? or what the game's demographics are? these sound like concerns for the company and you're trying to use this "possible scenario" as a form of leverage. if anyone has this information available to them, it IS the company. not a single one of us has the exact demographics or numbers at our disposal. this is just a sad scare tactic.

also i think it's important to point out that "goodbye i'm not playing anymore because..." postings are against forum rules... which to me, it sounds like the company doesn't care to hear it. honestly, threads like this should be banned as well...
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    if you don't play this game, why would you waste your time coming here to complain? geeze, do you picket your local retailers, too, if they don't meet your expectations?

Personally, I come here exactly for this. To watch the ship sink. If you see someone picketing outside of a store, do you stand next to them and complain to them, asking why they keep picketing when they don't shop there anymore? The same goes for you. If you don't like the thread, don't contribute to it. This is a forum. It's a forum for a free to play game (laughing at that). Look up the definition of "forum", so you can understand.

A lot of players are frustrated with the fact that this game is about 5% what it should be. That's why people still come here to complain. Maybe, just maybe, they will see past the dollars, and show some care about their product.

Who are you to say someone's argument is illogical?

And, I'm sure people know that it's against forum rules to post about leaving. But, I doubt they care. It just sounds like a dig from you, pointing it out, as so many others do, when they have a weak argument.

The word "sycophant", for some reason, is coming to mind right now.

I can hear the keyboard clicks from here.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    amordreadamordread Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem will be solved when you realize that this game is not a rpg it's just hack and slash (except for the foundries) and this is not Faerun it's just like a ruined parallel universe of it like a shadow plane. Just accept it and it'll all be fine.
  • Options
    raddatackraddatack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To be honest with the way this game is running now, I don't think many people will be willing to pay for any expansion or anything. I know i wouldn't. I did pay for some keys and the super early beta but now im cutting my wallet off from this game until things are improved.
    search%3Fq%3Ddungeons%2Band%2Bdragons%2Blogo%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dungeons+and+dragons+logo&usg=__h0EtYmMBvby3i0RqIk3wKubdfTU=&docid=2eAJThLCmGZbCM&sa=X&ei=35r_Uac9ldzgA9fsgJgJ&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=295
  • Options
    blondesolidblondesolid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited July 2013
    This is why I hate f2p. This entire thread is why I hate f2p.
    Might have to ditch the entire mmo genre if this bs is what I get to look forward to.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Because the MMO community is one large group of potential customers, and not a bunch of individual cliques like particular retail shoppers can be.
  • Options
    dongbuttsdongbutts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is why I hate f2p. This entire thread is why I hate f2p.
    Might have to ditch the entire mmo genre if this bs is what I get to look forward to.
    Most F2P games have better models than this. RIFT has a very good one. Most of them are better than Neverwinter.

The one thing that I always thought when playing is how they really try to get you to buy things, where as most other F2P games don't. It's usually cosmetic, or maybe certain boosts. Not paying for more than 2 character slots in a game with 5 classes currently (I mean come on), pay for bag space, make most things you get with in-game currency insanely expensive as a way to entice you to give them money, and other things of that sort.

Yeah they have to make some kind of money, I get that. So do all the other F2P games, and they do just fine without making you pay for things that just shouldn't have a price on them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I never said I don't play it anymore. All I said was I don't spend here anymore. "It is a free game, though. I don't have to pay to play."

What part of that was so hard to understand?

And yes, I do "picket" retailers that don't meet my expectations. Currently, NCSoft will never receive another dime from my wallet even if they figure out a way to jack directly into the matrix. Craptic is rapidly approaching that level of contempt as well.

Just because I will not spend money does not mean I cannot visit the store to see if policies have changed, and if it has changed, then my patronage will resume. Easy-peasy.

• Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The thing is, you're not even paying for a race, you're paying for a race you already have with slight number changes. At least wit hthe drow you could argue that there was at least a change in skin tone.

You cannot hope to support a game by selling me something I already have at an obnoxiously inflated price.
  • Options
    needingneeding Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ok ive played other games here but sounds like this is a pay or fail game already
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vientor wrote: »
    Look. That argument works for die hard F2P players that do whatever they can to avoid paying anything, but it does not hold up for typical MMORPG players.

The thing is, that $60 pack does not cover 4-6 months of a standard MMO. Not even close. It doesn't even cover 1 month. It gets you a race and a few fluff items. You still have to pay, on top of that, for characters slots, bank slots, bags, crafting materials, etc...for each character. All that stuff adds up quickly, and for many that are used to playing regular MMORPG's, it costs far more to get a lot less.

This game would be cheaper with a monthly fee giving you access to everything. Their current money grabbing strategies are starting to make me believe that they only have short term goals for this game.
    EXACTLY! This is the point I have been trying to make...
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    they are obviously trying to keep paid content mostly cosmetic sun and moon elves hve near identical stats to each other. as far as rp goes people have been playing sun and moon elves just by coloring wood elves. so so its kinda like an elaborate fashion object.

you had to pay wow to play a panda, bloodelf, dranai and deathnight/monk as well as the content AND pay 15 a month to boot. in NWO the 60$pack is mostly cosmetic the content classes and areas and a similar race are free.

and 60$ is a good deal as was posted before my frankly im surprised and lass they didn't charge double or even 200$ as far as people complaing about wards and stuff that's what the 600000 ad is for to keep you in wards and health stones for 4 months. though me and my hubby have hardly had to put a dime into this game other than the packs thanks to crafting, auction house, and dailies.. and if you look at my sig its obvious ive not been living cheaply either.

plus what do you really hope to acomplish here you trying to shame pwe? all your doing is entertaining know it alls like me and feeding trolls.

LETS think about this for a second. AD is needed in ridiculous amounts for many things. Examples reusing enchants cost a fortune, fusing enchants require items that you can only buy with ZEN or your failure rate is ridiculous. I've blown 10 wards on 1 upgrade from 5 to 6. Its impossible to do most anything without buying ZEN.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If Cryptic does what it says it does all of the content will be free but those who pay will get access to it sooner. Most of the other features are conveniences. Personally the ONLY items that feel more required than optional are bags and mounts which end up being very difficult to do without in my opinion.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    manjarowolfiemanjarowolfie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I love how people say that just because it's free to play it's not going to always have free things.

Yes, I know that. Yes, I've played MMO's before; I know how this dance goes. But even in the most outrageous MMO's I've played, never once have I seen the audacity to charge for things that are necessary to the genre of the game. It would be like playing a basketball MMO and you had to pay for the hoops and balls first before you could play.

Races= Essential to RPG's/D&D.

And to address the comment about having to pay for exotic races that are super rare. SUn elves and Moon elves in 4th Ed D&D. are as rare as flies to a horses ***. They aren't super common but they **** sure are not worldly wonders.

Dev's need to pay groceries you say? SO the money from all those Founder's pack aren't doing that? What about the money for mounts, pets, clothing dye, AD,Inventory space, idles for companions, buffs and Boosters, Character slots; HELL, ****ing bank slots that are so over-priced but people buy them because they can't find the human logic that can reason why a bank only has about 12 slots in it! Are those things not paying for their groceries?!?! What the **** are they eating??? Caviar and Sheep milk???
    Those founder's packs alone should have netted them a good sum to keep development going and have some extra left over to get the kids Ice-Cream. Everything else? THey should be rolling in moolah. I doubt you can say that pay for a race now is the equivalent of funding a charity...

I understand Dev's need money, I've said this, but let's be rational here, the prices in the ZEN market and for the packs are too **** high to make it seem like they're working on the railroads for pennies. and with the amount of money they should have by now, I can hardly register "charge for races" on any scale as just. Just my thoughts, but maybe if the game didn't present itself in a way that you basically have to cough up cash for everything you think you'd need, I'd bypass paying for races. Like I said before: I'd pay for vanity items. they're vain. And different race is not. and if you consider them vain, then would it be a problem if they were to one day just go "**** it. All races are human now"? Probably. If we had things we needed free, paying for races would sound great. but we don't. Yeah I know it's PWE, they've got the rep for these kind of things, but does that mean we should just blindly accept that as fact? I certainly won't. PWE or not, a **** like this is unacceptable. Again, just my opinion.