test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So that's the game we're playing Neverwinter?

manjarowolfiemanjarowolfie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I understand the need for content and some content can be sold. I understand there is a need for revenue. But forgive me if I'm a bit confused on the idea of selling races. Those seem like necessary things for an RPG. or better yet, a game based on D&D. Sure, the tabletop sells races in expansion packs but the races come with huge amounts of content to back them up(lots of racial abilities, encounters, feats, special classes that usually are held by that race; like the Dwarven Defender). so in truth you would need the content for the races anyways. But the content for the Feywild is free, and the stuff in the pack is mostly vain; not needed or just deal sweetener.

So that'S the pattern we're going through? Pay about 50-60 bucks for each race that you release with some pack, and then wait a few months to make them free like the Drow Renegades? Is that it? Should we be prepping up for you to sell us the new classes and mastery classes that you decide to releases when you get around to it too? Just my personal opinion but I doubt i'll continue to play the game knowing we're going to see this happen every time we go through a new race.

Can't we, I don't know, have the races and classes for the game for free, and pay for extra unneeded things for the game instead? Sell me gear, and companions; that's fine. It makes sense to do that, I don't need specific gear to play this game. but races? that's a bit of a stretch to me...
Post edited by manjarowolfie on

Comments

• Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I really expect to see any new classes released as buy only as well. After their latest shenanigans, it wouldn't surprise me if that new class came in some type of gambling box, where you have to buy hundreds of the things just for a chance of getting the new race!
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Except you are getting races for free. Fury of the Feywild comes with TWO races. Sun elves are free and Moon elves comes with the pack. Only difference is in one minor racial ability. As for classes being paid for, sorry but devs have gone on record multiple times to state they will be free.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    manjarowolfiemanjarowolfie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I understand that the sun elves are free, but that doesn't negate the fact that they are a race of the game, and a race of D&D that are moderately-common by 4th edition. not to mention that under an RPG standpoint, to pay for a race just seems off. Crytic throws out Gnomes, Genasi, and Dragonborn; we're supposed to be ok with only getting the Dragonborn, and Genasi? The Gnomes come with a bunch of other stuff, does that make it better? no.

That's digressing from the point. You can add all the content in the world but every race can play it. It changes nothing to have a moon elf other than racial feats., and if it's anything like the Drow they'll have one semi-useless racial anyways. So why make us pay for something that seems like you should have it in the first place? We didn't pay for the elves, dwarves, halfings, and Half-Orcs; why now? I just don't think it's the right way to go. Pay for moon elf related gear or expansion dungeons and items? sure: I don't need them and they're completely unnecessary to the game so paying for them would be vain and strictly a preference. but paying for races is like paying for the games tutorial level...
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    antovaras wrote: »
    As for classes being paid for, sorry but devs have gone on record multiple times to state they will be free.

I'd stipulate they're trying to figure out a way around that right now.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Um. The devs still need to get paid for the development of the content somehow.
    How do you think that happens?

$60 for Moon Elf seems like a better deal than $200 for Menzo Drow.
    You get a free new race - and have to pay if you want the variant.
    I don't see why that's a game-stopper.

Following the patterns we've seen before...
    We might get Genasi and Dragonborn for free and have to pay for Svirfneblin and then get Gnomes for free 2 months later.
    Or we might get Gnomes, Dragonborn and Air/Earth/Fire/Water Genasi for free, but have to pay for Storm Genasi.
    I don't see why either of those scenarios would be a problem.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's also possible that some variant of the Feywild pack elf might be made available for free down the line, like how regular Drow are going to be free, but the Renegade Drow are pack-exclusive.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »

How does that happen? People decide to play a new character. They pay to unlock character slots, they pay for bags, they pay for inventory space, etc...

Paying for races and/or classes is ridiculous. It is D&D and people expect to be able to play common races without having to pay extra for them. It is not like it is some rare exotic race. Stuff like that will cost them more than they would possibly gain, due to the bad will it will generate. Greed turns people off, and there is already way too much of it in this game. Charging for races will be a tipping point for many.
  • Options
    zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can't we, I don't know, have the races and classes for the game for free, and pay for extra unneeded things for the game instead? Sell me gear, and companions; that's fine. It makes sense to do that, I don't need specific gear to play this game. but races? that's a bit of a stretch to me...

I am going to have to disagree, I hate the store in this game and the way it is used but I feel your positions is wrong. Once the base races, the classic, canonic races are in place, I see nothing wrong with them selling premium races. Races that are ultra rare, this would make them so in game as well. (Well until the first sale)

In MMOs today races are nothing but cosmetic anyway. I mean lets be real, by level 20 does a race make any difference in game play other than look?

Classes on the other hand should be 100% free, they are defining game play components. On that note Cryptic, enough with the fluffy feel good mounts and kits and strange companions, how about a new class.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zentucknor wrote: »
    In MMOs today races are nothing but cosmetic anyway. I mean lets be real, by level 20 does a race make any difference in game play other than look?

If you compare the most optimal to least optimal race for a class the difference could be around 5-10%, which can be significant if you are just into endgame stuff. If you are not, it is pretty much irrelevant though....
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anything that it is thought that people may pay for will be put in the store, in a pay/"Premium" version, and there will be a free "vanilla" version you can play without paying.

Elf vs. Drow.

Sun elf vs. Moon Elf.

Etc.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anything that it is thought that people may pay for will be put in the store, in a pay/"Premium" version, and there will be a free "vanilla" version you can play without paying.

Elf vs. Drow.

Sun elf vs. Moon Elf.

Etc.

which is utterly ****ting on Faerun lore to even claim sun and moon elves are even remotely the same thing//But then, who cares about lore when theres apologists who will buy anything just to gloat over having what you dont.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    which is utterly ****ting on Faerun lore to even claim sun and moon elves are even remotely the same thing//But then, who cares about lore when theres apologists who will buy anything just to gloat over having what you dont.

I feel that there is a lot in the ZEN store that is over-priced and they woudl get a lot more money out of me if they reduced prices.

However, it is a game where you have free access to ALL THE CONTENT AND CLASSES and the only thing they restrict are a couple of races, which don't even seem to be the optimal ones for any class...
  • Options
    siolenassiolenas Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really. When you saw that PWE was involved did you expect anything else. There first and only priority is there cash shop. I understand they are a business which needs to make money, but they overprice everything considerably. Every game I play the average price for a mount is 25 dollars which is reasonable. The avaerage cost of a pet is 10 to 15 dollars.
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OP, you do realize though that because people are buying that one race you get to play the other one for free, right?

Devs got to pay for their groceries too you know.
  • Options
    zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find it highly unlikely that devs are making business decisions relevant to what is free and what is not. Other than that this thread boils down to realizing that "free" games aren't free for most competitive people. Now I know there will be 100s of you flame me and say you have leveled 10 toons to max and not spent a dime. That's cool, you are the exception not the rule. At the end of the day it's pay me now or pay me later. Sub vs. cash shop.

As this market completes its transition from the sub models to the b2p,f2p and p2w models many people are going to realize that annual subscriptions weren't that bad after all.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zaarel2 wrote: »
    I find it highly unlikely that devs are making business decisions relevant to what is free and what is not. Other than that this thread boils down to realizing that "free" games aren't free for most competitive people. Now I know there will be 100s of you flame me and say you have leveled 10 toons to max and not spent a dime. That's cool, you are the exception not the rule. At the end of the day it's pay me now or pay me later. Sub vs. cash shop.

As this market completes its transition from the sub models to the b2p,f2p and p2w models many people are going to realize that annual subscriptions weren't that bad after all.

But it's the case that in F2P/freemium games, most people do not pay anything or pay only a modest amount. They make most of their money from a small percentage of players who spend a lot. I guess that's who you are referring to as "competitive" players?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I feel that there is a lot in the ZEN store that is over-priced and they woudl get a lot more money out of me if they reduced prices.

However, it is a game where you have free access to ALL THE CONTENT AND CLASSES and the only thing they restrict are a couple of races, which don't even seem to be the optimal ones for any class...

Pity all the classes suck, party diversity doesnt exist, and the content is trite and unimaginiative outside the Foundry, eh?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    yerune wrote: »
    OP, you do realize though that because people are buying that one race you get to play the other one for free, right?

Devs got to pay for their groceries too you know.

then perhaps they should invent a business model that doesnt assume a need to pretty much **** the money out of people.
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    antovaras wrote: »
    Except you are getting races for free. Fury of the Feywild comes with TWO races. Sun elves are free and Moon elves comes with the pack. Only difference is in one minor racial ability. As for classes being paid for, sorry but devs have gone on record multiple times to state they will be free.
    Aye, and like drow moon elves will no doubt be available after 60 days.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Look, I can understand people being upset that stuff isn't freely available, but let me ask you this - if this game was subscription based, and all races were available, to what extent would you be able to play said game, if you paid what you are paying for NW currently?

It's important to look at things from the perspective of what it costs you to play each month. In a regular subscription MMO, that $60 pack would basically only cover you for like 4-6 months, after which you lose access...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Look, I can understand people being upset that stuff isn't freely available, but let me ask you this - if this game was subscription based, and all races were available, to what extent would you be able to play said game, if you paid what you are paying for NW currently?

It's important to look at things from the perspective of what it costs you to play each month. In a regular subscription MMO, that $60 pack would basically only cover you for like 4-6 months, after which you lose access...

...and?

As opposed to what?

You do realize that in an environment where wards werent gated behind AD/Zen and thehere werent lockboxes galore that might be true, but as the game is currently designed, other than massive, prohibitive levels of AD or AH grinding, competing with someone who spends hundreds a month is downright impossible.

So really, your argument falls flat mainly because money allows you to grease the wheels of this game to a far faster clip than can be achieved without money, and therefore I'd argue a half a year subscription game would be giving you more value than what pittance you can get for 60 dollars of zen.
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

Look. That argument works for die hard F2P players that do whatever they can to avoid paying anything, but it does not hold up for typical MMORPG players.

The thing is, that $60 pack does not cover 4-6 months of a standard MMO. Not even close. It doesn't even cover 1 month. It gets you a race and a few fluff items. You still have to pay, on top of that, for characters slots, bank slots, bags, crafting materials, etc...for each character. All that stuff adds up quickly, and for many that are used to playing regular MMORPG's, it costs far more to get a lot less.

This game would be cheaper with a monthly fee giving you access to everything. Their current money grabbing strategies are starting to make me believe that they only have short term goals for this game.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...and?

As opposed to what?

You do realize that in an environment where wards werent gated behind AD/Zen and thehere werent lockboxes galore that might be true, but as the game is currently designed, other than massive, prohibitive levels of AD or AH grinding, competing with someone who spends hundreds a month is downright impossible.

So really, your argument falls flat mainly because money allows you to grease the wheels of this game to a far faster clip than can be achieved without money, and therefore I'd argue a half a year subscription game would be giving you more value than what pittance you can get for 60 dollars of zen.

Pretty much the honest truth here. Super hardcore players and super hardcore payers can compete in the game. The whole middle group can't. There are certain exceptions, like guardian fighters when the stalwart helm was selling for stupid prices. They could get decked out pretty quickly. But, still not as fast as if you paid or played constantly. There are also the CN ring run people. When those sold for high prices, players could get decked out. A lot of people didn't care to do that, so they got left out.

As vientor said above me, "...they only have short term goals for this game." I believed that as soon as I started playing the game. I still believe it, after quitting. Hopefully, those non-hardcore players, and the players that don't shell out hundreds of dollars, can get a better way to compete.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Won't matter some big games out in the next year that are true MMOs and not blatant PWE Cash grabs.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pay about 50-60 bucks for each race that you release with some pack, and then wait a few months to make them free like the Drow Renegades? Is that it?
    That wouldn't be a problem then. As long as they release free versions down the line, it should be ok (let's suppose some relatively quick release and not having to wait some years). Not that I don't agree with races and classes having to be free (as much as they want to paint races as cosmetic, they are much more than that).
  • Options
    kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
    edited July 2013
    Hobby always cost much, you all dont have any hobby in the past?? :p
    Never heard of FREE hobby ever.
  • Options
    sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ...and?

As opposed to what?

Who are you competing with? maybe if you're only into PVP, but as far as I can tell actually playing the quests you're just competing against the monsters.......

The actual storyline of the game isn't a competition. (Again not including PVP...which is seriously silly anyways...)
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »

Believe it or not, this is not our problem. It is the companies responsibility for paying its own employees. It is also the companies responsibility to convince us to fork over our money. That means providing content for which we are willing to spend money in the way that we are willing to spend it.

If you are really so concerned about the employees of these companies you should be harder on them to be smart about their business practices. Trying to trick people out of their money, trying to force them to pay by holding their role-playing aspirations hostage, making a pay to craft system that waits until you are deeply invested before charging you, these are dirty tricks that are unworthy and reprehensible.

This is not the way to convince people to pay for your content. This is the way to convince people that you are a con artists and should not be trusted.

If you are very concerned with the financial plight of the dev then you should be all over Cryptic to turn that boat around and make out like the good guy. And charging for the basic building blocks of the game like races isn't the way to do that.

The whole “soft launch” fiasco has made it seem that the game is older than it really is but it has only been out for a short time. We have yet to see what it is going to develop into. Will it become a false free game equivalent to cripple-ware offering just enough to punish free players or will it strengthen up into a game with a diverse and capable catalog of experiences for various players.

It does seem to be heading in one of those directions. And every time people get the idea that they owe something to the game just because it exists, it moves a little closer to that outcome. Every time people get the false idea that they are responsible for paying the devs it inches a little closer.

Don't be duped into supporting the game because its your duty. Reward the game companies for producing quality content and offering it in a smart and interesting way. If they aren't doing that, then keep your money. Insist on good behavior or just wait into they figure out how to straighten up.

Just because there are bad option from which to choose doesn't mean you have to choose a bad option.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ... I don't understand how this game being D&D has anything to do with charging or not charging for races. They have nothing to do with each other.

And, heck, let's run with the idea that D&D is somehow precedent-setting in terms of how the MMO should be structured... hey, guess what? In 3e and 4e, if you want to play a new race, you ... only get it in a specific supplement where the new race (or class, or items, or...) appears. So you DO pay for races. All the time.

So, heck, by that argument Cryptic should be charging for lots of stuff!

Also, heck, there's going to be three different elves, two different dark elves, and half-elves. Only one elf and one dark elf is behind a pay wall.

Yeah, it's thematically stupid that moon elves are pay and sun elves are free, but from a game balance standpoint, there is nothing at all superior about moon elves.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I see it like this; you are not paying $60 for a race. You are paying:

(All of these prices are going off the Cash shop/AD exchange. I understand the prices in the shop are high but this is the basis I am using)
    $35 for a R3 mount (it is a unicorn but still a rank 3 that all of your characters get)
    $18-19 worth in Zen (going at Average of 330AD per 1 Zen through Exchange)
    $30 for Companion (Certain it will be an epic companion and every character gets one)
    $2.50 for Extra Character slot ($5.00 for 2 through Cash shop)
    $10-20 for Regalia (I would keep it on the low end for now)
    (Not going to keep going here. This easily covers the $60)

Just going through that stuff you are easily getting more than $60 worth and I never mentioned the race. The pack itself is however always worth what you are willing to pay for it. You are getting content free, a free sunelf race that has a slightly better racial (2% AP gain over moonelf's 1% AP gain and 1% stamina..unless you want it for pvp?)

As per the classes being paid for. I don't see them going back on that word. All classes should be accessible it is just a few races that will have free counter parts that you will have to buy to receive.

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"