test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can I Lock My Level? I Don't Want To Level Anymore!

Comments

• sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is a great idea. Thanks for the feedback!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    This is a great idea. Thanks for the feedback!

I hope you are talking about the 200 zen exp lock and 200 zen to unlock because I would be all over that and so would a couple other 1000 enjoying the game.
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Stop playing how about that. Its a great way to stop leveling.
  • guenguen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A way to make a level lock non-exploitable is to make it doesn't affect pvp.
    edited July 2013
    guen wrote: »
    A way to make a level lock non-exploitable is to make it doesn't affect pvp.

How would it affect PvP. ? I don't get lvl lock making anything exploitable. Twinks can be the most fun part of a game especially after you done everything on other toons and mains.
  • timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Not sure had anyone suggested it, and sidetrack a bit. At high level leveling (lvl 45+), try to build high regen. The white cleric just won't be enough to support. Together with good dodging/blocking and occasional use of potions, playing foundrys will be much more pleasurable.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've levelled two TR's, a CW, a GWF and a DC to 60, working on my GF.

For my first TR I only did the mainquest line, and hit 60 on the doorsteps of the Underdark. Especially the later levels were very hard.
    With my other characters I made sure my level was at least equal or higher than the quest level through foundries, pvp and dumb grinding. And this helped out a lot!

But I have no idea how I would have leveled my DC up from 40 without guildmates, and same goes a bit for my GF. DC's are great at the early levels, but after a while their wet blanket attack really start to take their toll on your health.

So my 2cents worth are to grind out a few more levels and then tackle the quests. The xp should still be good, and a lot faster.
    Or, as a DC, grab a buddy and make him the NW equivalent of the energizer bunny ;) Two players within 5 levels or so sharing quests get good xp.

If sharing quests mean you break the questing-chain, you will most likely still be able to pick up the chain were you left off. Effectively giving you double xp, first for the quests you did together, and afterwards when you leveled, you can solo them again.

Hope it helps some

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How would it affect PvP. ? I don't get lvl lock making anything exploitable. Twinks can be the most fun part of a game especially after you done everything on other toons and mains.

Oh, I can certainly see why twinking like this can be 'fun' for the twinks.

For the new player in quests greens who gets destroyed by a max level for the bracket Twink with BiS items and high level enchantments, not so much. So, I would happily support this if once level-locked then for your current PvP level bracket, you could only fight in PvP other people who were level-locked.

Because twinking is fun for its own sake , and not because you get to own newbies in greens, right? ;)
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    You've obviously never tried doing foundries at high level then. where the amount of potions you have to eat vastly outstrips the money you make running them.

Really? I find that I have more than I went in with, with any of the three classes that I play. Admittedly, I don't stand in red stuff, but still..
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Really? I find that I have more than I went in with, with any of the three classes that I play. Admittedly, I don't stand in red stuff, but still..

I found that the TR, CW, GWF (I slot bravery for extra DMG reduction until I get good gear), and GF are all fine doing Foundries at 60, and usually end up making a profit. Especially the GF - I had level 50 gear for a level 60 foundry when I finally played an alt that I had left for a while, but had still been doing leadership and invocation on.

The DC takes a lot of damage though, and doesn't have the DPS of the other classes. I know I struggled doing Foundries at any speed on my 9.5K DC, and seemed to be drinking more pots than I found.
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Oh, I can certainly see why twinking like this can be 'fun' for the twinks.

For the new player in quests greens who gets destroyed by a max level for the bracket Twink with BiS items and high level enchantments, not so much. So, I would happily support this if once level-locked then for your current PvP level bracket, you could only fight in PvP other people who were level-locked.

Because twinking is fun for its own sake , and not because you get to own newbies in greens, right? ;)

Well that's lame in my opinion. They do that in WoW in order to try and destroy Twinking. Honestly its never a problem and usually there aren't a million twinks running around. I do Twink PvP right now without a lvl lock its just I can't complete a PvP match. That's how much I like Twinks I join a match kill 25 players and leave at 980 pts. The team I was on basically wins and I get my Twink PvP fun in. I just rather be able to complete the match do all content be able to Invoke and do professions etc. Then my toon would be a blast. Twinking in different brackets not just for PvP but for PvE and for questing and enjoying the game is just amazing fun.

I will have to say that twink vs twink can be fun but that is optional. Trying to lock players with exp turned off and twinks to fight other players creates even more problems. First there are no Ques and if a match does pop it takes what a hour if it ever does. So there would maybe be 2 ques to select from with a wait time twink pvp and regular but it has to be a option because if I have to fight other players with there exp turned off defeats the point a lot and ill just have to turn it back on to do what I am currently doing. Anyway I love my GWF Twink he has a 1.6k GS now his name is Forest Gump. Just hope some day I can lock his exp to do some questing.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    At level 45 I'm done with the official quests. They are simply too hard for me. As I have no interest in PvP and I loathe group dungeons, I've just been doing Foundry missions (which are great!).

The problem is, I'm still leveling just through Foundry missions and I want some way to stop it. Because the higher my level gets, the more difficult the Foundry missions become, and I'm rapidly reaching the point where I won't be able to play them either.

So I'd like to request some kind of option to allow people to lock their levels, so if they don't want to level any further, they can freeze at whatever level they feel comfortable at.

This is a great game, but the difficulty scaling is insane! I've really come to dread leveling up :(

If I could, I'd like to lock my level to around 40 and then just play Foundry missions.
    If they should do that it would be a record for the Guiness. So far like I know no game let you to lock your lvl not even like a paying option (really some players would pay for the opposite :p )
    edited July 2013
    That's how much I like Twinks I join a match kill 25 players
    The team I was on basically wins and I get my Twink PvP fun in.
    Anyway I love my GWF Twink he has a 1.6k GS now

You do realise that you just gave a list of reasons why making it easier to do this would be such an incredibly bad idea? And why we would need some sort of safeguard?

and enjoying the game is just amazing fun.

I agree totally. But it shouldn't just be fun for twinks - it should be for everyone. And it is no fun getting destroyed by an opponent that totally out-gears you.

You want to show how good you are at PvP? Then try out for 'Crush It' or 'Lemonade Stand' or even better challenge them and beat them. If not, you are just someone who gets their fun by destroying hopelessly outclassed opponents. It is obviously fun for you, but not so for them.

I think the last thing Cryptic would want to do is to have even more people put off PvP at lower levels.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd be happy to stop leveling so long as my companion would still get XP. As right now my companion seems to trail way behind me in level.
    edited July 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    I'd be happy to stop leveling so long as my companion would still get XP. As right now my companion seems to trail way behind me in level.

Companions have 'ranks' each of which is supposed to be about two levels. So a Rank 10 companion is actually about level 20.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You do realise that you just gave a list of reasons why making it easier to do this would be such an incredibly bad idea? And why we would need some sort of safeguard?

Exactly.

Twinking is a kind of fun that comes at the expense of other players, which is why it's a playstyle that should not be supported by conventional mechanics.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'm not really seeing how it hurts other players. They'd be briefly up against (potentially) as-good-as-can-be geared folks in PvP, and then...they've outlevelled them and left them far behind.
    That's actually marginally better than being up against as-good-as-can-be geared folks in PvP who continue levelling so you're always facing them all the way up to 60 (where you then get tene-stomped with everyone else).
    edited July 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    I'm not really seeing how it hurts other players. They'd be briefly up against (potentially) as-good-as-can-be geared folks in PvP, and then...they've outlevelled them and left them far behind. .

Um, perhaps because if this change gets implemented there will be level-locked twinks at every bracket between 11 and 59?
    edited July 2013

I agree totally. But it shouldn't just be fun for twinks - it should be for everyone. And it is no fun getting destroyed by an opponent that totally out-gears you.

You want to show how good you are at PvP? Then try out for 'Crush It' or 'Lemonade Stand' or even better challenge them and beat them. If not, you are just someone who gets their fun by destroying hopelessly outclassed opponents. It is obviously fun for you, but not so for them.

I think the last thing Cryptic would want to do is to have even more people put off PvP at lower levels.

You are such a kill joy. Fact is everyone that plays this game won't have fun actually in most games its a smaller % then 50. So no not everyone should have fun that is unrealistic to think that way. There still really isn't a PvP guild yet because we don't have real PvP. We still have beta PvP so no matter how much so called PvP guilds want to make premades it proves nothing till some actual real maps roll out with some gear and 10v10 and ranked arena.

Twinks are made to be the top end of there lvl and tier to enjoy it and bask in the fun of that lvl bracket. The non twinks that fight don't care cause well they will never see them again once they lvl out of that bracket it really isn't a issue for anyone its not like its a stomping over and over again you can't get away from.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Secret World also featured a lot of customization in appearance by making appearance strictly a matter of fashion -- your "gear" was invisible, and your appearance didn't change with gear upgrades (other than weapons, of course). People seemed to like that. Of course, the most interesting looking clothing also cost real money in the store in that game as well, and they had no crafting profession that created clothing for fashion purposes, so it was all going into Funcom's pocket as well there.

The whole point is to absolutely pound the normally geared leveling player to pulp due to your superior gear. The whole "fun" is making the playing field uneven in your favor in an artificial way as compared to people playing the game normally. If you can't see why non-twink leveling players have an issue with that, I really don't know what to say.
    edited July 2013
    Exactly.

Twinking is a kind of fun that comes at the expense of other players, which is why it's a playstyle that should not be supported by conventional mechanics.

Wrong. I will have a twink with or without exp turned on or off. I will get bloodthirsty which is 5,000 kills on my 19lvl twink why cause I will not lvl him unless I make a mistake. Just rather have it be official so I can have more fun.

So lets keep on topic about exp turned off. Not about PvP and its current non state. It would just be another way to draw more ppl to play the game and putting it in the Zen shop for 200 zen to turn on and off will only make more money to develop more in the game we love and fix and roll out new stuff. So its a Win, Win for everyone.
    edited July 2013
    Twinks are made to be the top end of there lvl and tier to enjoy it and bask in the fun of that lvl bracket.

stomping over and over again you can't get away from.
    so I can have more fun.

Read through what you have written and see if you can figure out why it might not be so much fun for the people who get utterly destroyed in PvP as it is for you...
    edited July 2013
    Wrong. I will have a twink with or without exp turned on or off. I will get bloodthirsty which is 5,000 kills on my 19lvl twink why cause I will not lvl him unless I make a mistake. Just rather have it be official so I can have more fun..

Of course you can do that, but it isn't an "official" mechanic, and it should stay that way. To be honest there should be a penalty for early leavers from PvP matches in this game as is customary for other games.
    edited July 2013
    The whole point is to absolutely pound the normally geared leveling player to pulp due to your superior gear. The whole "fun" is making the playing field uneven in your favor in an artificial way as compared to people playing the game normally. If you can't see why non-twink leveling players have an issue with that, I really don't know what to say.

Lets stay on topic about how awesome it would be to have twinks and experience turned off for questing and dungeons. Also yea I don't see the problem in PvP. If I am in greens and a twink stomps me I am just like wow he is geared next.
    edited July 2013
    Of course you can do that, but it isn't an "official" mechanic, and it should stay that way. To be honest there should be a penalty for early leavers from PvP matches in this game as is customary for other games.

The penalty right now is staying in the match. So leaving is a better option not going to go down that road but PvP would need a huge overhaul and 10v10 maps etc first before a penalty is in place and a real reward system.

You can't have a penalty for staying and a penalty for leaving then no one will play PvP that is what I think you fail to understand.
    edited July 2013
    Lets stay on topic about how awesome it would be to have twinks and experience turned off for questing and dungeons. Also yea I don't see the problem in PvP. If I am in greens and a twink stomps me I am just like wow he is geared next.

It would NOT be awesome to have xp turned off for twinks -- that's the point. You don't get to say "hey, let's stay on topic everyone by agreeing with how awesome my idea is !!!! eleventy-one!!!". Eh, no, we disagree.

I have no issue with turning XP off for PvE, but not for PvP due to the twink issue.
    edited July 2013
    Pro's vs Con's there is way way way more benefits to have a exp lock right now in this game. It would make tons of players happy especially in PvE and questing. It would make tons of money for PW so they can have funding to develop more. Overall it would draw more players and not only that build diversity players testing stuff having fun and not leaving the game. It's just a lop sided benefit to having a lock to pay for.
    edited July 2013
    The penalty right now is staying in the match. So leaving is a better option not going to go down that road but PvP would need a huge overhaul and 10v10 maps etc first before a penalty is in place and a real reward system.

You can't have a penalty for staying and a penalty for leaving then no one will play PvP that is what I think you fail to understand.

There is no "penalty" for staying. Getting XP is not a "penalty". You would only view it as a penalty if you were specifically trying to avoid the normal gameplay, which is to finish the match and get XP. That is, you are circumventing the normal mechanic. That isn't a "penalty".

There should, however, be a penalty for early-leaving, because this is a real issue in this game in PvP matches -- and it generally is an issue in every game, because many people prefer to leave rather than get stomped for several minutes, which leaves the rest of the team in the lurch. That is why almost all games have early leaver penalties -- if you don't, too many people leave early and it ruins the experience for everyone else.
    edited July 2013
    It would NOT be awesome to have xp turned off for twinks -- that's the point. You don't get to say "hey, let's stay on topic everyone by agreeing with how awesome my idea is !!!! eleventy-one!!!". Eh, no, we disagree.

I have no issue with turning XP off for PvE, but not for PvP due to the twink issue.

Ok that's fine then. I will just leave every match on my twink if that was the case so I don't get the Experience penalty. Then enjoy PvE with the rest of the twinks I can live with that.
    edited July 2013
    There is no "penalty" for staying. Getting XP is not a "penalty". You would only view it as a penalty if you were specifically trying to avoid the normal gameplay, which is to finish the match and get XP. That is, you are circumventing the normal mechanic. That isn't a "penalty".

There should, however, be a penalty for early-leaving, because this is a real issue in this game in PvP matches -- and it generally is an issue in every game, because many people prefer to leave rather than get stomped for several minutes, which leaves the rest of the team in the lurch. That is why almost all games have early leaver penalties -- if you don't, too many people leave early and it ruins the experience for everyone else.

This is my last post in response because its off topic and not going to argue. Players leave right now all the time because the penalty of staying far exceeds leaving. Even if you put in place a penalty to leave it might not outweigh the price to stay in a losing match. The reward system is terrible yesterday there was about 10 matches + where the team I fought on my Main earned less then 100 pts. The players all got no reward because they failed to get to 500 pts so no glory for them. There are very very harsh penalties currently for staying. At 60 lvl you don't get exp so bringing experience into the topic makes no sense when talking about players leaving. There is no reason to stay and suffer and waste time currently.

If you put in a leaving penalty with no fix to the penalty of staying and getting no reward then players will just stop que up for PvP and will create a whole other issue. Player have made threads and post about saying if there is a penalty I quit PvP because there is a penalty to stay in a match.

So I am done with this topic if you want create another thread or post for open discussion of it and I will chat with you there or maybe I will make it. There is a penalty for staying and that is the real issue.

Now lets talk about exp turned on and off for players that want to enjoy this great game the content and how it can benefit NW in a great way. Not interested in being brought down in a flame discussion.