test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Difficulty sliders

karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
Does the slider adjust the encounters automatically or does the author have to manually input the size and difficulty of each encounter depending on the choices available?

(Asking as a player, so don't get too technical please ;)).
Post edited by karitr on

Comments

• ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Well, with a difficulty slider you adjust what encounters do players sees. Eg.
    If you choose "easy" in dialog prompt you'll not spawn anything, only story driven encounters.
    If you choose "medium" you'll spawn additional packs that are sepparated from story driven encounters (to not make it too hard).
    If you choose "hard" you spawn hard encounters on top of story driven packs along with patrolling encounters.

What you'll do with each dialog prompt is your own choice, but you should rather keep encounters very simple (only easy and standard encounters) as trash mobs.

Besides:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?237862-FAQ-Foundry-Tips-Manuals-Tutorials-amp-Bugs
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    OK, I think you're saying it is all manual?

The reason I asked is, I was giving feedback on a quest with a slider and having run it on all modes (easy, normal, hard), I didn't see any difference in difficulty between the three.

When you linked to the bug list, I thought perhaps I was going to read it was a known issue with the slider, but I am obviously missing the reason for you putting that link in :o

So I am not sure I am any the wiser, but thanks for helping anyway.
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You have to manually make encounters spawn/despawn depending on choice, so yeah manual :P (You bind the spawn/despawn to a certain dialogue prompt.)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    You have to manually make encounters spawn/despawn depending on choice, so yeah manual :P (You bind the spawn/despawn to a certain dialogue prompt.)

Thank you lolsorhand, that is exactly what I wanted to know :)

I can give proper feedback to the author now. Thanks again.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, the foundry author has to put in all the encounter choices - there is no difficulty slider provided by Cryptic. It is an attempt by foundry authors to allow some adjustment by the players due to problems seen with Cryptics level based scaling. It might be super-easy at lower levels, but then nearly impossible at level 60. So authors have attempted to allow some compensation.