test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Threat and Tanking

vitalityprimevitalityprime Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I'm looking to get pure facts about threat and aggro management in this game.

Different games always have different calculations for how threat and aggro actually work...and I'm trying to fully understand the mechanics of this game.

How is threat calculated?

How does damage factor in?

How does healing factor in?

How much threat do certain powers give? (ie. Enhanced Mark increases threat gen. Feats increase threat gen. What threat number is this actually enhancing?)

Will certain powers (Enforced Threat) guarantee aggro...or will it still have to compete with damage and healing?

How much aggro can one hold at once? Is there a cap?

etc.

Thanks in advance.
_________
VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Post edited by vitalityprime on

Comments

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm looking to get pure facts about threat and aggro management in this game.

Different games always have different calculations for how threat and aggro actually work...and I'm trying to fully understand the mechanics of this game.

How is threat calculated?

How does damage factor in?

How does healing factor in?

How much threat do certain powers give? (ie. Enhanced Mark increases threat gen. Feats increase threat gen. What threat number is this actually enhancing?)

Will certain powers (Enforced Threat) guarantee aggro...or will it still have to compete with damage and healing?

How much aggro can one hold at once? Is there a cap?

etc.

Thanks in advance.

Im no expert in threat but damage counts and GFs have something like a flat % increased threat per attack. I know some attacks are considered high threat atttacks and I think the over the shield stab is one of them.

Enforced threat is an AoE that marks everything and mark increases threat. YOu can also get the passive that increases threat on mark targets by x%.

Healing does do threat (alot of it) but the healing threat is spread out over the mobs nearby so if you heal for 10k, and 5 mobs are near, rough math is 2k per mod in threat.

So for tanks to hold threat the best way is to deal tons of AoE damage (which is possible).
  • Options
    geargogglesgeargoggles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For sure you are competing with damage and healing to hold threat.
    Your marks that are placed when taunting, any of the taunting abilities, only really help you if you are hitting the marked target.
    So if you taunt a target, and someone else hits it before you do, then it's like you never taunted at all.
    You can re-taunt the target but at that point you are basically in a competition to over threat the target from whoever was hitting it.
    The feats increase threat by a % (33% per point) based off the damage you do to the target. So if you taunt a target and start hitting it, you will gain threat at whatever your base % is, which of course is based on your dps. Then the feats will add to that % by whatever additive number you have in enhanced mark. So you are still in a dps race, but it will basically generate threat as if you were doing higher dps. There are also powers which can increase your threat generation and again these calculate based on damage and the target being marked.

Nothing really guarantees argo.
    But, the best thing you can do is: Mark the target before you start hitting it. Be the first one to hit the target. Keep the target(s) marked.

There doesn't seem to be a cap on how targets you can taunt at one time, although it's basically how many enemies that can mob around you within the AOE range, although even then you can use the single target taunt I'm sure to taunt even more.
  • Options
    feiergiantfeiergiant Member Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    So if you taunt a target, and someone else hits it before you do, then it's like you never taunted at all.
    You can re-taunt the target but at that point you are basically in a competition to over threat the target from whoever was hitting it.

how taunt (tab ability) really works:

A placed mark will disappear, when the marked mob HITS YOU.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    Im no expert in threat but damage counts and GFs have something like a flat % increased threat per attack. I know some attacks are considered high threat atttacks and I think the over the shield stab is one of them.

Enforced threat is an AoE that marks everything and mark increases threat. YOu can also get the passive that increases threat on mark targets by x%.

Healing does do threat (alot of it) but the healing threat is spread out over the mobs nearby so if you heal for 10k, and 5 mobs are near, rough math is 2k per mod in threat.

So for tanks to hold threat the best way is to deal tons of AoE damage (which is possible).

Tanks can heal also, a lot, strangely enough. IMO really good tanking shows in leading in damage taken and damage done. If you are taking 2 to 3 times the damage of the next closest person in damage taken, and you are not dying and are not the focal point of the healers attention, you are healing yourself a lot and this has to be mainly through feats and powers.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If a GF is not #1 in most dmg taken then please reroll a GWF as you are playing your class wrong.

If other classes are dying a lot then there are 2 possible issues:

1. CW is not controlling add's correctly
    2. They are not standing in blue ring of "OMG this thing heals me & keeps me alive" or confusing the red ring of "WTF my color blindness just killed me again"
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    vitalityprime - Tanking in NW is not like most MMO's you may have experienced in the past. GF's job is to not tank 20 add's and expect to live long. It's the CW's job to control the add's movements while the GF holds aggro as best as possible by high DPS. When add's get out of control the GF should be ready to pickup snap control with Enforced threat & AoE abilities.

If you want good weapon enchant for aggro control grab G-Lightning or P-Lightning as you'll be doing dmg on pretty much every mob in a 30 yard radius. It's great for bosses as you will be first to hit new spawns and pull them to you.
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    GF's job is to not tank 20 add's and expect to live long.

Weird.. I can tank around 20 adds and be just fine. The only place I really can't do that for very long is Castle Never. The only reason for that is Wights and their high damage life steal.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Weird.. I can tank around 20 adds and be just fine. The only place I really can't do that for very long is Castle Never. The only reason for that is Wights and their high damage life steal.

I'm talking about CN.
  • Options
    faxonlighthawkfaxonlighthawk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    New to the game. What is P-lightning and G-lightning? Also, I'm focused purely on defense and threat, is that a mistake? Do I need to sacrifice some defensive feats for more offensive feats to effectively hold threat?
  • Options
    zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    New to the game. What is P-lightning and G-lightning? Also, I'm focused purely on defense and threat, is that a mistake? Do I need to sacrifice some defensive feats for more offensive feats to effectively hold threat?

Greater or perfect lightning enchant for weapon