test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Venting about the daily dungeon/dungeon queue system

kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'll start by saying that, given the skill levels I have seen on the people I get queued with when I try to do my daily dungeon, dread vault needs to be nerfed by around 45,921%. I'm talking about normal dread vault, mind you, not epic. Mobs need to have their AoE taken away, their single target damage nerfed by 6,000%, and their health reduced to instant death from a hard stare levels. The bosses need to not have any attacks, no ability to move, summon no adds, and somewhere between 1 and 7.5 health. And honestly, even of you make these changes, I'm not 100% sure I could push some of these players to a completion.

I wish I had kept more precise numbers, but I never expected it to get THIS bad. Between my GWF and my rogue, I have been in dread vault over fourty five times trying to complete my daily dungeon after hitting lvl 60. But I have only finished dread vault eight times. 8. (and of those 8, the boss only dropped loot 3 times because that bug is still not fixed.)

Now, one may be tempted to say that I'm the reason the dungeons always fail, because MMO nerds always want to try and be snarky, but most of the time I am top damage by varying, and sometimes huge, margins. I don't die to much of anything unless I am the last alive and get overwhelmed. I'm pretty good at getting resses off. I always try and get people to follow the path of least resistance on the last boss (left rear where the tentacles can't hit you), and try to get the people with KBs to toss mobs off the platform on the add phases. I explain as best I can, I do my job as best I can, and I am more patient than a particularly kind stone, because my queue times are over 50 minutes most of the time and I really want to get it done.

But none of that matters, because the average player in this game can't finish a normal dungeon that has no appreciable mechanics other than 'Stand ye not in the crimson upon the floor' and 'Slayeth all minions of the overlord'. It's just too hard for them. And because they can't finish it, that means I can't finish it, after multiple tries, multiple queues, and multiple hours wasted.

Now, the pat answer to complaints like this is usually "join a guild", but in the vast majority of cases, people in guilds are doing their own thing unless there is a real dungeon happening, that, you know, drops actual loot, and they can't be bothered to form an actual premade group for a normal instance with no loot of any worth (and most of the time no loot period). Even in WoW, we rarely ever made a full group to do heroics unless we were going to chain run them because someone needed a bunch of justice to buy a BoA item. 3k AD is not enough of an incentive to make a guild group for pretty much anyone, especially since you can only get it once a day.

What can be done to fix this? Well, the previously mentioned 'nerf into the dirt' method would work pretty well. If nothing can kill the group, then maybe even I could herd these inbred cats to a finish in DV. Another option would be not not nerf it at all, but to raise the AD reward from the daily to something more appropriate. Somewhere in the 7-9 million AD range, to symbolize winning the lottery, which is about how rare it is to finish it as it is now. That would also give incentive to people in guild to make a guild group for it. Another method would be instead of the daily giving massive amounts of AD, make normal DV drop T2 loot, that would get people in there. Whatever you choose, Cryptic, one (or all) of those needs to be done.

Now, for the queue system itself, I have to start off with a question: Why is there no way to refill empty slots when the inevitable "dis to hrd, im out bb" person bails on the group? Or when a genuine DC happens?

Why are non English speakers put in groups with English speakers? Yes, the need for complex tactics is pretty light in this game, but when someone is new to the dungeon you need to be able to explain things to them, and a lot of the time now, you simply can't.

Why do you have to leave the instance to be able to teleport to the group if you DC and can reconnect quickly? Why does it not simply put you where the group is automatically?

The queue system needs some work, and as fast as you can do it as well.

That's most of the main points on this general issue. Things need to change so that trying to do the daily dungeon is either fast and easy, or very rewarding experience, and not the current mind searingly frustrating experience that it is, where I want to lay down on the floor and just cry until I die crying because yet another group can't figure out the Mongolian calculus equation that is normal DV.
Post edited by kierlakx on

Comments

• aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Isn't this an easy fight? Get the adds/all trash but the boss near the edge/ledge. CW knocks the adds off the ledge. Insta death to the mobs like you are requesting. TR solos the boss when the tentacle things are down. I have never done this instance but that is the strat I read for it. Seemed easy enough. Getting a competent group is probably a lot harder than any boss in this game though. Don't ask for content to be nerfed, ask for or find a competent group!
    It is pretty craptastic though that the daily never changes at lvl 60. Shut, even if they have to add an epic dungeon to change things up, it would rock. I haven't run this instance because wasting 1 hour for 3k ad just isn't worth it when I can run an epic delve (crypts, idris, tower) in 30-40 minutes and sell the loot that the delve chest has for 5k+ on a bad day not to mention the possibility of getting a piece of loot that I can actually use.
  • veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    I'm surprised there isn't a daily epic either. I didn't start until after GG so maybe those dailies took it's place? I've pug'd dread vault 3 nights in a row with success. Just run all the way to the back left corner, the tentacles can't hit you and there's plenty of space to knock/handle the adds. It's easy if you communicate it and attempt it once or twice. Once one of the groups realized we got to 33% with only a tank and healer it should be obvious that a non-dead group is super easy.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    funny, but this boss is one of the easiest, as long as people listen, and you have a good CW.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dunno what you're talking about. You must have bad pugs, I've three-manned the entire boss fight in a pug(one CW, one GWF and me a GF, TR and DC disconnected). Never failed normal DV. You may have to try and find an active guild or group of friends to run this with if you have such bad luck with pugs.

Of course, having normal DV as the daily dungeon is still tedious and boring. It should let us pick any L60 only dungeon.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4 responses, 4 people that didn't actually read those 10 paragraphs and 1 sentence.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kierlakx wrote: »
    4 responses, 4 people that didn't actually read those 10 paragraphs and 1 sentence.

Read the whole thing. You're just unlucky. Normal DV is fine as the endgame non-epic dungeon, just not fine as the daily task. If guildies don't want to help you out, wrong guild for you or wait until DD time.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited July 2013
    35+ failures to complete versus 8 completions is not bad luck. That is a sign a big chunk of the players in this game either have no arms and are trying to play with their feet or that they have to have someone else turn on their computers for them because it's too difficult for them. Bad luck is a few in a row that fail. I have gone multiple DAYS without being able to fish a group out of the queue pond that could muster the immense fortitude needed to finish DV, a dungeon WITH NO MECHANICS AND CLIFFS FOR ADDS TO BE INSTA KILLED ON THE LAST BOSS. With a good enough healer I could TWO MAN the entire place with my GWF (slowly).
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    35+ failures to complete versus 8 completions is not bad luck.

Okay, if you say it isn't bad luck then fair enough.

So now, of course, the question becomes: what was the common factor in those 35 runs.......
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Average players" don't do Normal dread vault. The average player will earn ADs via pvp and Gauntlgrym or foundry. Only very casual and rookie players will attempt to play this dungeon, and it's often a disaster. I've myself stopped trying to do the normal version. Takes way too long with the people you get in queues (like low dps, mages with 0 cc spells, healers with bastion of heal, healing word and daunting like as "spells"). You will find better and average players in epic karrundax or pirate. There are no rough ADs to win but it is what it is, only bad players queue for it.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    That's ridiculous. I do DV in pugs all the time and seldom fail it.
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Okay, if you say it isn't bad luck then fair enough.

So now, of course, the question becomes: what was the common factor in those 35 runs.......

You were already addressed in the OP, but you didn't actually read it so you didn't know.
    "Average players" don't do Normal dread vault. The average player will earn ADs via pvp and Gauntlgrym or foundry. Only very casual and rookie players will attempt to play this dungeon,

The vast bulk of the people playing this game are very casual and rookie players. Though you are right about who is queuing up for it, and it seems I'll have to just stop trying to do it until some changes happen to make it either worthwhile for guild groups to do it or people in the queue system can consistently finish it.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You were already addressed in the OP, but you didn't actually read it so you didn't know.

The vast bulk of the people playing this game are very casual and rookie players. Though you are right about who is queuing up for it, and it seems I'll have to just stop trying to do it until some changes happen to make it either worthwhile for guild groups to do it or people in the queue system can consistently finish it.

Then you want a consistent 6k ADs rewards. It's still less AD/h than pvp, but it could be an option when we have some time between dd events in guilds.
  • aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I read your QQ thread top to bottom... I understand you just didn't get the answers/support you wanted, but that doesn't mean people didn't read it.

That being said, the skill lvl in this game varies so greatly. If you run pugs, keep it to the face roll content that you could 3-4 man. If you run anything with any bit of complexity, run it with a pre-made group. The thing is, even w/ the complex fights, they are super easy with a decent group. I have been seeing it a lot more on my tank as I have leveled. Having major issues beating the Gray Wolf dungeon normal. It isn't that the dungeon is hard. I have watched a lot of strat videos and have seen it done without a cleric even.. The past groups I have had though can't get the guy below 50% because they can't avoid getting hit by the boss and can't seem to stay out of the red stuff. Does this mean the instance should be further nerfed? I don't think so.
  • ruprect1ruprect1 Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    I havent been able to finish a dungeon in a PuG since The Throne of Idris lvl 38 version. I have queued for every dungeon I could through the leveling process and have not been able to complete a final boss fight. People are sooo terrible that the goup wipes on the last bosses and someone quits right away. Maybe this is a free to play thing, the players in FTP games are just really bad. I have never had soo many problems in any other game I have played (WoW, Rift, SWToR, LoTR and so on). This is the only FTP game I have played other than GW2, and there is no real hard content in that game that is really puggable.

I did finally get into a decent group in CN and we could have probably finished it if one person had not left.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I've been fine with the (non-Epic) DV with a over 50% success rate in PUGs.

If the groups YOU are in have a below 25% success rate and you absolutely insist it isn't bad luck, there aren't many other explanation except that you are doing something badly wrong or not doing something that needs to be done, if only failing to inform the other puggers what they should do.
  • silentnights1silentnights1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited July 2013
    Far as I know, it is being nerfed. Go look at the test patch notes: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?388471-NW-3-20130701a-0-Patch-Notes

End Game Balance Changes
    Difficulty at level 55-60 has been mildly reduced for solo content, this affects:
    Solo quest instances
    Adventure Zone exteriors
    Foundry quests
    Difficulty at level 55-60 has been slightly reduced for team content, this affects:
    Skirmishes
    Regular (non-epic) dungeons
    Epic dungeon difficulty has been VERY slightly decreased, but should remain largely the same
    This should be a scaling reduction affecting level 60 the most and trailing down to level 55.
  • cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have gone multiple DAYS without being able to fish a group out of the queue pond that could muster the immense fortitude needed to finish DV, a dungeon WITH NO MECHANICS AND CLIFFS FOR ADDS TO BE INSTA KILLED ON THE LAST BOSS.

This is all the proof needed to show that you're no better than the people you're slamming for being incompetent. You've done the dungeon 35+ times and yet you've never noticed that there are cliffs at the boss? I've only done the dungeon once and it was obvious to me. :rolleyes:
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    This is all the proof needed to show that you're no better than the people you're slamming for being incompetent. You've done the dungeon 35+ times and yet you've never noticed that there are cliffs at the boss? I've only done the dungeon once and it was obvious to me. :rolleyes:

You're illiterate. That's the only excuse. I said in the first post that I try to get people with KBs to knock adds off on the add phases.
    If the groups YOU are in have a below 25% success rate and you absolutely insist it isn't bad luck, there aren't many other explanation except that you are doing something badly wrong or not doing something that needs to be done, if only failing to inform the other puggers what they should do.

Again, this was already covered. I'm outperforming 90% of the people I get queued with for the job my two classes have, damage, and on a few occasions on my GWF, I have outperformed the tank in holding aggro and not dying while not being sentinal spec. I try to explain things as simply as possible, but either language barriers or what can only be willful idiocy keeps people from following the most basic of instructions. I have, with some groups, given up on trying to get the CW to kick adds off the side, and instead struggled with simply getting the ranged to not STAND UNDER THE TENTACLE AND GET BEATEN TO DEATH.

I can't make most of these people do even basic things. On the rare occasions I have gotten some new people but they actually listened, we crushed it easy, and they were making comments like "dis to easy lol, it like free AD lol". The dungeon IS EASY. No one in the group has to actually be any good to beat DV as long as they do what they are supposed to. They don't even have to do it very well, they just have to do it. But most of the people in that queue can't do even that. "Follow me and stand where I stand" NOPE. TOO COMPLEX. MAKES MORE SENSE TO HUG THE TENTACLE ON EVERY ATTEMPT.
  • spittlezspittlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You hit the nail on the head diogene0. Joining normal DV queue solo usually puts me in a group with players who don't have the gear score to queue for a T1 and have no idea on how to play their class.
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sry op but i rarely have the issues youre talking about wih normal DV. Every now and then i get a group that has some issues but i dnt remember the last time i couldnt complete the dungeon. Granted most of the time im runnig with a guild group, but im rffering to off hours when im not. I do agree that the dungeon que issues needs some work, but i worry if you could replace ppl then you woupd see the general ahattery you in other games where ppl abuse the kick just to "troll" or because some one is new and needs some help learning the ropes. With DV though all you really need is a good tank and or good healer and they can carry the rest of the group. Ive had multiple occasions where my healer dies and i use fighters recovery and pots to finish a boss with just me and the strikers. I can vouche for the issues with the que tool itself but i have no idea why u have so much issue with DV.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey everybody! We're working on the dungeon delve system and appreciate your feedback in helping make it better. Cheers!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You're illiterate. That's the only excuse. I said in the first post that I try to get people with KBs to knock adds off on the add phases.

Sorry I didn't read that long-winded whinefest that was the OP. Try not to contradict yourself too much in your other posts, kid.
  • rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You could try joining groups from LFF in zone chat... Those ppl usually have it down pat and want u to have good gear and exp. Myself, Im staying away from the groups formed in zone chat now, becuase they are always exploitters and speed runners. I play the game for fun, so i actually don't want to skip half a dungeon here or there, or stand somewhere and take no damage due to a glitch. I'm even going as far as to start reporting all the bugs so devs can fix and eventually the game will have to be played the right way. I would advise others to do the same.
  • lagimpalagimpa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1)The dungeon delve system should be made permanent, in other words there should always be a chest at the end of every dungeon with a loot for each player. You can take away the loot that the boss drops and just give everyone a loot inside the chest.

2)You should consider letting us make groups of 10 players instead of 5. Most of the dungeons are hard enough as it is that you wouldn't have to change them too much for them to be challenging for a 10 player group. It would provide us with better variety in the groups and would help the Great weapon fighter find some usefulness in the groups. If you don't want to do it for all the dungeon delves please let us at least do it for Castle Never. It takes a minimum of 3 hours to complete the dungeon and most groups will wipe on the final boss.

3)You should take away some mobs on the way to the bosses in Castle Never because really they are just waste of time. They don't good loot and they serve no real purpose aside from just slowing us down. The dungeon is already long as it is, you don't have to make it painful and boring too.

4)Change the queue system, it is a bad system to set up groups. If you don't/can't change it, please set up some way for us to see the groups who are looking for people and what the groups look like. It's a pain to set up a group in the same channel as the one we use for trading because you can't really see what you get until you actually join the group or get invited to it.

I guess that's it for now.
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unfortunately it's difficult for a newbie to learn how to run dungeons. I've been kicked from a team for asking for instructions. Literally, saying "I've never done this dungeon before, may I have instructions please?" gets a "kick her from the team and find a cleric!"

Where are all these nice people who are willing to give instructions that yall are talking about? O_o
    qtPt2I
  • atroxcanisatroxcanis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey everybody! We're working on the dungeon delve system and appreciate your feedback in helping make it better. Cheers!

These responses are getting pretty funny. I've seen the exact same wording now one three different threads.
    Hey everybody! We're working on the Alchemy Profession and appreciate your feedback in helping make it better. Cheers!
    Hey everybody! We're working on the INSERT BS system and appreciate your feedback in helping make it better. Cheers!

Just give it a rest. There are 5 people working on the NW project at PW. The primary focus is on extracting as much money from the dwindling base of players as possible. This division was never intended to become a cash cow, it is on the books as a supplemental revenue stream with an per-determined End Of Life. Enjoy the game for what it is and not what you want it to be or even for what it could be. Take a few minutes to consider what your money is buying before dropping any coin. I'm not saying don't buy stuff from the Zen Market, just make sure you understand what you're getting for your money.
    Yes, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    atroxcanis wrote: »
    There are 5 people working on the NW project at PW. The primary focus is on extracting as much money from the dwindling base of players as possible. This division was never intended to become a cash cow, it is on the books as a supplemental revenue stream with an per-determined End Of Life. Enjoy the game for what it is and not what you want it to be or even for what it could be. Take a few minutes to consider what your money is buying before dropping any coin. I'm not saying don't buy stuff from the Zen Market, just make sure you understand what you're getting for your money.

If I understand correctly, no one from Perfect World Entertainment is working on Neverwinter. After all, that's not what PWE does. They administrate games, that is, they manage user accounts and monetary transactions. All game development is handled by the developer, in this case, Cryptic Studios. I also disagree that there's a "predetermined end of life" (note the word is not "per-determined" but "predetermined"), and I disagree that there's a dwindling number of players. In fact, your post sounds much like the doom and gloom I've heard on numerous occasions regarding a plethora of topics.

So unless you can link to company data that actually proves that (A) the cash influx or player-base is, in fact, "dwindling", (B) there are only five people working on the game (which is utterly laughable, especially given that I can easily count 20 blue names), or (C) the EOL is already determined, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give your post about as much credence as the idea that little blue gnomes construct reality a half-second ahead of when I experience it.

In other words, [citation needed].
    qtPt2I
  • choranthchoranth Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't read that long-winded whinefest that was the OP. Try not to contradict yourself too much in your other posts, kid.

I think you two really need to realize where the communication problem was.

When Kierlakx said "a dungeon with no mechanics and cliffs" he meant "with (no mechanics) and (cliffs)".
    When cinj216 replied he most probably read "with no (mechanics and cliffs)".

No need to tell one is illiterate or the other contradicts too much, it was just a misunderstanding (I misunderstood that too but having read the OP I tought Kierlakx was just being sarcastic, turns out from a later comment he was not).
  • blaueblume1blaueblume1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i have not read thru this thread in its entirety, so I'm sorry if I am repeating. What would be nice is if the queue system is looking for a healer that DC's can opt out of being that healer when they sign up. I mean..not all DCs want to be expected to be the Main Healer. Thank you for paying attention even when we get a bit cranky about not having it fixed 4 mins ago.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's the thing about Dread Vault. It's not really all that hard BUT it is badly designed. Not just in the generic, too much trash, dull boss mechanics way that most every other dungeon is also guilty of. But in the sense that both the basic mobs and the final boss encounter are badly designed because they expose many of the weaknesses in the way combat works in this game.

They create far too many sloppy situations where there's no good option or no options at all. So the only really good strategies for this dungeon involve exploiting its weak design elements, using ledges and areas that the AI can't/won't go to. Which is just another example of how badly designed it is.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.