test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disappointed...

shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
First off, I'd like to note, this is not a "boohoo, whoa is me, everything sucks, someone pay attention to me" thread. This isn't directed at Cryptic and the bugs that hinder us, or the limitations, or even that the Foundry goes down more often than Michael Douglas.

No, this is a thread directed at us, the community. Never in my life have I seen such pandering, such backstabbing, suck butt-kissing, such name calling, all out hatred and low-life activities as I have here. Yeah, sometimes it can be entertaining, and hey, I'm no angel, I've been caught up in the drama plenty myself.

But seriously, people, get over it. Get over yourselves. We need to build each other up, not knock each other down. So what if you disagree with someone, get the **** over it and grow up. Don't like someone? Don't respond to their threads, no need to comment to throw some snide remark. Someone criticized your quest? Boohoo, don't put your quest into public domain.

You're quest got 1-star ratings? Big freaking deal, you're still getting plays. Someone sent you a message saying that your quest needs a lot of work? Awesome, let them be jerks. Don't go run their quest just to purposely one star them.

Seriously, this is worse than high school. You people (broad generalization, some of you are awesome) need to grow up. Support each other. Don't like someone? Pretend they don't exist. There is no need for you to go posting on a thread laughing because someone is having problems, no need to bash someone because they didn't like your quest.

And for the record, if you are one of the worthless people who bribe, buy your reviews, and then go out of your way to give others one star reviews, then you are the biggest problem here. Seriously, stop worrying about how your e-peen looks and grow up.

Now, that being said, I would like to comment on two people I see posting on the forums: Zovya and Lovepeas. You two are the kindest, most uplifting and positive people I have met. If the rest of the community could be like you, this would be an amazing place.

Unfortunately, we have people starting threads to call others out, posting in general discussion to BUY 5-star reviews, people one-star bombing other quests, breaking the rules, and making this one of the WORST communities I have ever belonged to.

So, what does this mean for me? Well, I'm not quitting, as that would go against my anti-"bring attention to myself" point I made earlier. I'm sticking around, and I'm going to make some quests. Want to play them? Awesome, play them. Want to bash them because you disagree with me or because I made you angry somehow on the forums? Awesome, go right ahead. Want to start a campaign making others downvote difficult quests for stacking encounters, or putting in lots of reading, or mazes, or puzzles, or anything else you don't like? Be my guest. I'll play your quests, and I will rate them fairly with a rating they deserve. I will earn my reviews the right way, I will do what I can to BUILD this community up, instead of trying everything in my power to bring it down.

You people make me sick. Try to rise up and be the bigger men (women? people? authors?) instead of being the lowest common denominator.
My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
Post edited by shorlong on

Comments

• chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I feel ya man. This forum is turning into GD only smaller.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    First off, I'd like to note, this is not a "boohoo, whoa is me, everything sucks, someone pay attention to me" thread. This isn't directed at Cryptic and the bugs that hinder us, or the limitations, or even that the Foundry goes down more often than Michael Douglas.

No, this is a thread directed at us, the community. Never in my life have I seen such pandering, such backstabbing, suck butt-kissing, such name calling, all out hatred and low-life activities as I have here. Yeah, sometimes it can be entertaining, and hey, I'm no angel, I've been caught up in the drama plenty myself.

But seriously, people, get over it. Get over yourselves. We need to build each other up, not knock each other down. So what if you disagree with someone, get the **** over it and grow up. Don't like someone? Don't respond to their threads, no need to comment to throw some snide remark. Someone criticized your quest? Boohoo, don't put your quest into public domain.

You're quest got 1-star ratings? Big freaking deal, you're still getting plays. Someone sent you a message saying that your quest needs a lot of work? Awesome, let them be jerks. Don't go run their quest just to purposely one star them.

Seriously, this is worse than high school. You people (broad generalization, some of you are awesome) need to grow up. Support each other. Don't like someone? Pretend they don't exist. There is no need for you to go posting on a thread laughing because someone is having problems, no need to bash someone because they didn't like your quest.

And for the record, if you are one of the worthless people who bribe, buy your reviews, and then go out of your way to give others one star reviews, then you are the biggest problem here. Seriously, stop worrying about how your e-peen looks and grow up.

Now, that being said, I would like to comment on two people I see posting on the forums: Zovya and Lovepeas. You two are the kindest, most uplifting and positive people I have met. If the rest of the community could be like you, this would be an amazing place.

Unfortunately, we have people starting threads to call others out, posting in general discussion to BUY 5-star reviews, people one-star bombing other quests, breaking the rules, and making this one of the WORST communities I have ever belonged to.

So, what does this mean for me? Well, I'm not quitting, as that would go against my anti-"bring attention to myself" point I made earlier. I'm sticking around, and I'm going to make some quests. Want to play them? Awesome, play them. Want to bash them because you disagree with me or because I made you angry somehow on the forums? Awesome, go right ahead. Want to start a campaign making others downvote difficult quests for stacking encounters, or putting in lots of reading, or mazes, or puzzles, or anything else you don't like? Be my guest. I'll play your quests, and I will rate them fairly with a rating they deserve. I will earn my reviews the right way, I will do what I can to BUILD this community up, instead of trying everything in my power to bring it down.

You people make me sick. Try to rise up and be the bigger men (women? people? authors?) instead of being the lowest common denominator.

Ok first off the Michael Douglas comment made me spit soda out my nose, literally. All I could envision was those unending Liberace show trailers. Too funny.

Second, like any community there are all sorts of personalities, and ones like these tend to have bigger ones than in general. And, there's no way to know the details of everything going on between different folks, so try not to assume too much. Some folks won't forgive and forget no matter what you do either.

I guess in the end, while I agree it would be nice if everyone was like Lovepeas since I love my peas, the world takes all kinds and folks are going to do what they do. Your own advice is sound tho, and you also should do the same by ignoring the stuff you really don't like. But I know that's hard, and it is for most of us, we're only human after all.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We need to build each other up, not knock each other down.
    You people make me sick.

OP seems a bit rantish
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • xpurpleinsanityxxpurpleinsanityx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think the problem is too many people see this as a competition when it really could be more of a collaborative thing.

Edit: I mean, I know my quest would be a lot crappier without the input and inspiration that I've gotten here. XD
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think the problem is too many people see this as a competition when it really could be more of a collaborative thing.

As been stated many times by better people than me, (and all over in Apoc's thread) the game sets us up for that. The star ratings, etc. All of it. It should all be a positive experience to create, none of the negative. Game designers do have to take responsibility for some of that and do some serious thought into the redesign of it.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

agreed. It's nothing like the old NWN's tool set forums, but that was people doing it for fun, not ratings.

*edit* and im no better as i see my sig lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
    edited July 2013
    If they would put genres into the search system, that would at least break up some of the competition...
    yGX5UJU.jpg
    Threads: Part 1: Rising of the Dragons (NW-DNGIC6AJC) | Part 2: Abyssal Pursuit (NW-DESQ9HQAZ)
    edited July 2013
    thalazar1 wrote: »
    agreed. It's nothing like the old NWN's tool set forums, but that was people doing it for fun, not ratings.

QFE
    /10chars
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Buddha Buddha Buddha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • savaikunsavaikun Member Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

Edit: I mean, I know my quest would be a lot crappier without the input and inspiration that I've gotten here. XD

it is collaborative...if you're in the right guild, on the right server. ;)
    edited July 2013
    ok im a bit out of date on some web lingo.. what's QFE? lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2013
    thalazar1 wrote: »
    ok im a bit out of date on some web lingo.. what's QFE? lol

I've been trying to figure that out for the last 5 minutes. :P
    yGX5UJU.jpg
  • shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Quoted for emphasis
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

edited July 2013
    quoted for emphasis

aka - what he said! Lol
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, it seems we agree there's a broad-based problem, it seems we agree that our own actions may have contributed to that problem.

So what about a solution?

I have an idea or two, but I doubt they'd be popular with the majority of Authors.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
    edited July 2013
    So, it seems we agree there's a broad-based problem, it seems we agree that our own actions may have contributed to that problem.

So what about a solution?

I have an idea or two, but I doubt they'd be popular with the majority of Authors.

All The Best

I'll go first... Here are all of my issues out in the open and all of the apologies I need to give:

1. Wuhsin, I've never actually disagreed with a single thing you've ever said lol. In fact I've agreed with all of them and probably most people have. I just took offense to the way they were presented but who am I to complain about it. So I apologize for jumping on ya.

2. Dzogen, You've always been nice to me and in turn I always nice to you. I shouldn't have butted in on your thread way back when and so for that I'm sorry. I also agree with most that the short 2 minute quests that you kept up to advertise your other work that you got up to the best list quick then made it so you can't complete it, etc should not have been there and I've been honest with you about that before now. I have played several of your quests... and most people have not been honest with you. I think they are possibly the best written quests I have played. I had many really out loud laughing moments playing them and its obvious to me WHY people like them. I think if you put just a bit more work into the look of them *for me personally that is* I would really really like them. But some folks like story more than anything, and some like the detailing more than anything and some need both, but one thing I agree with you on, it sure seems the popular opinion is with you :) So again I apologize for my parts.

3. Chili / Dungeon Masters / Forge Stream: Best friends I had in the game, some of the best times I've had in an mmo for the couple short months we did it. When we started streaming I felt Chili changed a bit. Some of this was him having to deal with me because I raged on some 1 star trolls (who were doing it intentionally but that's neither here nor there) so when it all started to boil I let it all out lol. I did apologize already several times, but here it is again. I LOVE people that give me 3 stars and say exactly why. I hate 1 star trolls and always will. nuff said! The funny rage mail was meant for you and Nyghoma and I never meant to send that to the DM folks. So I apologize they got that. I did love our stream, and I loved you guys. Apologies for my actions afterwards too.

4. For anyone else I let down in the community, I apologize lol. Just PM me how I let you down and we can hash it out.

Life is too short for all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> guys. The truth is, I have WAY more fun when we're all laughing about something we ALL are bashing or some cause we are all behind. And TBH we all do need to be behind each other.

GL and I wish I was a better person than I am~!
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • shadowboxshadowbox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just wish it was a bit more like the WC3 modding community AKA The Hive Workshop, that place was awesome and it seemed like most of the people just generally wanted to help each other. I think the biggest issue here that causes all of the BS is the rating system, it honestly shouldn't even be in the game, it will just create a larger and larger divide in the foundry community.

But these kind of things are common place on the internet, especially in MMOs so it is to be expected, people will do whatever it takes to 1 up the competition and as long the rating system stays in place people will always see other quests as just that.
    Stats.png
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zbkolde wrote: »
    What has happened to the foundry forum author community? :( This community had a good reputation, a respectful lot of authors willing to review and help new authors and each other. I left these forums for two months because of the negativity and an incident with a certain moderator. For two months i never posted on these forums period (not the foundry section, the forums in general). But it was this author community that drew me back in, and made me feel like it was okay to post here. It was such a welcoming and helpful group. There have been many threads and posts thanking this community for their help and support. The moderators used to pass over this section, because they weren't needed. Now they're here having to edit/lock/move threads every day. What happened?

Now it is so much bickering, so much distrust, so much revenge. How did this happen? When i have mentioned that "other authors may be jealous and give a negative rating," i wasn't thinking of it being any authors from this community. I was thinking of kids that slopped together XP/gold grinds, not the people from our foundry forum author community. At what point did it stop being a community and become a battle arena?

... And even still, i thought all of this was an "us against them" issue, i didn't know it was "us against us."

You guys helped build each other up. You reviewed each other's quests, gave constructive feedback, helped to make each other's quests better. You supported each other, shared ideas, answered questions. You were a respected group of mentors. But now, i mean... what is this?

^ My plea from another thread, for which i was criticized and accused of "drama dropping." But, it is real, isn't it?

I know you and i have had our differences... but you know, no one else does, because we didn't make it public, and we talked it out. This forum section was so great for awhile, but it has crashed and burned. If everyone would try, it could be great again, it hasn't fallen too far from grace just yet. I saw a small ray of hope yesterday, but then the bickering flamed right back up. Thanks for posting this. Maybe it will make everyone re-evaluate what's been happening.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    Wuhsin, I've never actually disagreed with a single thing you've ever said lol. In fact I've agreed with all of them and probably most people have. I just took offense to the way they were presented but who am I to complain about it. So I apologize for jumping on ya.

I apologize for offending you. I have a brutal sense of honesty that most modern people do not understand. Plus I can be a jerk. And I have anger management issues so I try to express my feelings instead of bottling up my emotions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wingserwingser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    Honestly? lol

This community is so unbelievably nice except for the people who make guides and want to make a 'mark' on this game. They do anything for abit of online recognition. If you think this community is bad you should of played a game called 'GunZ: The Duel' it'll be a definite eye opener for you. (or Heroes of Newerth. Or played ranked games in League of Legends).

There's always individuals who ruin it.
  • ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    So much love in this thread, I'm gonna puke.

But seriously, system doesn't support community to get better. We have to do that. Think about what - you - could do for the community.

PS. If anyone thinks it's hard to do something for community, I'll give you an example: couple of days ago I wrote a PM to Sominator requesting sticky for my thread. He happened to be online, I got instant sticky. Couple days after I decided to write again to request sticky for Zovya's thread. Day later - sticky.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    I'll go first... Here are all of my issues out in the open and all of the apologies I need to give:

1. Wuhsin, I've never actually disagreed with a single thing you've ever said lol. In fact I've agreed with all of them and probably most people have. I just took offense to the way they were presented but who am I to complain about it. So I apologize for jumping on ya.

2. Dzogen, You've always been nice to me and in turn I always nice to you. I shouldn't have butted in on your thread way back when and so for that I'm sorry. I also agree with most that the short 2 minute quests that you kept up to advertise your other work that you got up to the best list quick then made it so you can't complete it, etc should not have been there and I've been honest with you about that before now. I have played several of your quests... and most people have not been honest with you. I think they are possibly the best written quests I have played. I had many really out loud laughing moments playing them and its obvious to me WHY people like them. I think if you put just a bit more work into the look of them *for me personally that is* I would really really like them. But some folks like story more than anything, and some like the detailing more than anything and some need both, but one thing I agree with you on, it sure seems the popular opinion is with you :) So again I apologize for my parts.

3. Chili / Dungeon Masters / Forge Stream: Best friends I had in the game, some of the best times I've had in an mmo for the couple short months we did it. When we started streaming I felt Chili changed a bit. Some of this was him having to deal with me because I raged on some 1 star trolls (who were doing it intentionally but that's neither here nor there) so when it all started to boil I let it all out lol. I did apologize already several times, but here it is again. I LOVE people that give me 3 stars and say exactly why. I hate 1 star trolls and always will. nuff said! The funny rage mail was meant for you and Nyghoma and I never meant to send that to the DM folks. So I apologize they got that. I did love our stream, and I loved you guys. Apologies for my actions afterwards too.

4. For anyone else I let down in the community, I apologize lol. Just PM me how I let you down and we can hash it out.

Life is too short for all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> guys. The truth is, I have WAY more fun when we're all laughing about something we ALL are bashing or some cause we are all behind. And TBH we all do need to be behind each other.

GL and I wish I was a better person than I am~!

Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that was awesome. I forgot I was on an MMO message board.

Well dude, your points seem to come from the heart and are well taken. Appreciate the sentiment & same back at ya. Barely remember that old thread, and never felt anything negative towards you so no worries there (even though I do recall I thought you had some alts bashing me at one time which I guess turned out to be my own hallucination :)) I hope your realize too that half the time when I'm flaming away, it's mostly about entertainment & drama promotion stuff. I do work in advertising after all.

Thanks for the nice words about the quests and the constructive feedback. I do get bashed for environment but I don't like to put lots of "stuff" in as I've mentioned elsewhere. I do take good feedback however so will consider next go around trying some new things to see if that helps.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    And for the record, if you are one of the worthless people who bribe, buy your reviews, and then go out of your way to give others one star reviews, then you are the biggest problem here.

Is that actually a thing that happens? Excuse my ignorance, wasn't aware of anything like this.
  • ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    delthanin wrote: »
    Is that actually a thing that happens? Excuse my ignorance, wasn't aware of anything like this.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?397251-Opinions-on-Bribery
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ash4ll wrote: »

Well huh. The more you know.

As to some of the comments about "it should be about fun, and not ratings", hopefully that will work itself out once there's better tabs/search functionality for quests. Right now, I think it's honestly more about "I want my quest to be seen", and if it's not in the Best tab, it'll eventually disappear for most of the public unless they knew about the quest beforehand.
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Haha! 70 people have just found there way to the foundry forum, I'm thinking this might have something to do with that.
  • shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    wingser wrote: »
    Honestly? lol

This community is so unbelievably nice except for the people who make guides and want to make a 'mark' on this game. They do anything for abit of online recognition. If you think this community is bad you should of played a game called 'GunZ: The Duel' it'll be a definite eye opener for you. (or Heroes of Newerth. Or played ranked games in League of Legends).

There's always individuals who ruin it.

I use to play Gunz a LOT...so yes, I know the communities that are bad. However, this is a community that is supposed to be creating, and helping each other will be better off in the long run than treating it like a competition.

edited July 2013
    delthanin wrote: »
    Well huh. The more you know.

Right now, I think it's honestly more about "I want my quest to be seen", and if it's not in the Best tab, it'll eventually disappear for most of the public unless they knew about the quest beforehand.
    honestly, I just want my quest to hit daily, I don't care if the public outside these forums ever see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• shadowboxshadowbox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I use to play Gunz a LOT...so yes, I know the communities that are bad. However, this is a community that is supposed to be creating, and helping each other will be better off in the long run than treating it like a competition.

Man GunZ community was out of this world bad, but that game was so much fun, good knowing i'm not the only one who played it heh, i honestly have never met someone outside of my group of friends that has even heard of that game.
    honestly, I just want my quest to hit daily, I don't care if the public outside these forums ever see it.

Pretty much my feelings on this, no one should assume their quest is going to get on the front page, it honestly shouldn't even be an authors main goal, the goal should be fun and sharing your stories and ideas with people willing to listen.
    Stats.png
  • neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of al, I can honestly say that there is a whole lotta truth to this statement.
    And I for one am tired of the only thing that some people do in here is plead for stars.
    I am creating content for enjoyment and to be able to immerse myself in creativity.
    In most communities the "ratings" and the "status" of a world is not an important thing. It's the people and what they are creating.

I do find however in the Foundry chat there is a lot more of the "helpfulness" and kindness that this forum sorely needs.

I think the (pardon the pun) Quest for "Glory" has had a very negitive impact.
    I do NOT seek stars, nor will I stand on the proverbial street corner to peddle my wares. If people enjoy what I will produce then I'm happy. But if people are running through the Foundry quests cause they are bored, or the ends to get some quick AD, then let them. I don't care. If though these maroons have the impact to make Cryptic delete my quest, then I will be very confused and "disappointed"

I am amazed at what people have created and what people do with the limited resources we do have. I think we all need a pat on the back for that.

Keep up the great work peoples and never give up the keep!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]