test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rough AD refining cap? What the heck?

the1prometheusthe1prometheus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have been enjoying the 2x AD event going on but it 'enlightened' me about a game mechanic that I was previously unaware of. You can only refine 24K rough AD per 24hrs. Why? I can earn AD by selling an item on the AH and it takes no effort on my part at all to earn 24K+ AD.

But...here we are in the middle of an 'event' that gives you 2x rough AD for a player's "EFFORT" to play the game and their EFFORT is rewarded by an almost invisible cap of 24K per day. Where is the game pop-up that tells you this fact? I found out by mousing over the <refine> button and seeing that I had capped out already.

The bad thing is I had been refining AD before I noticed that little gem of useful info and had probably lost like 10K+ rough AD already.

Why is it that if I encounter other such caps and limits in the game I am PREVENTED from exceeding them (CANNOT invoke more than once every 1hr, or accept a new daily before the time has expired, or change instances before a 2-minute cd...or spam a skill with a cd...etc.) but yet I 'CAN' waste rough AD by hitting "REFINE" if I am at the cap already? The rough AD simply 'P00F' into non-existence.

This NEEDS to be addressed.
Post edited by the1prometheus on

Comments

• mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You don't lose any rough AD - that remains permanently until you can refine it. It is merely a cap on how much you can refine in one day.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And any unrefined AD will automatically refine in a period where you don't hit the cap.

So just relax. Unless you're hitting the cap every single day for the next week, it'll even out eventually.

/panties untwisted
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • s1ssys1ssy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    but yet I 'CAN' waste rough AD by hitting "REFINE" if I am at the cap already? The rough AD simply 'P00F' into non-existence.

Wait. Are you saying that, if you already hit the limit and try to refine some more Rough-AD that Rough-AD just disappears?
  • the1prometheusthe1prometheus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    You don't lose any rough AS - you can just refine the next day and so on. It is merely a cap on how much you can refine in one day.

Well, last night I was fortunate enough to already have had 2x 6K AD dailys in my log when the next 6K dailys ticked over and in the meantime (on the same character) I had invoked a couple of times for 2K AD (at LEAST) and done some other 1K & 2K dailys...which also reset by this morning almost 10hrs ago and I did them again also. SO That is over 30K of AD in less than 24hrs I earned.

Don't you think it odd that I am (supposedly atm) at the 24K cap and yet I have no rough ad on me at all? The math doesn't add up at all for me to be "PERFECTLY" at a cap with a ZERO rough AD balance.
  • the1prometheusthe1prometheus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    And any unrefined AD will automatically refine in a period where you don't hit the cap.

So just relax. Unless you're hitting the cap every single day for the next week, it'll even out eventually.

/panties untwisted

LOL....thanks and I admire the sarcastic reply. But WHERE do you learn this info at by playing the game? Do you just have to be perceptive enough to figure it out by yourself or what? That's messed up.
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been enjoying the 2x AD event going on but it 'enlightened' me about a game mechanic that I was previously unaware of. You can only refine 24K rough AD per 24hrs. Why? I can earn AD by selling an item on the AH and it takes no effort on my part at all to earn 24K+ AD.

But...here we are in the middle of an 'event' that gives you 2x rough AD for a player's "EFFORT" to play the game and their EFFORT is rewarded by an almost invisible cap of 24K per day. Where is the game pop-up that tells you this fact? I found out by mousing over the <refine> button and seeing that I had capped out already.

The bad thing is I had been refining AD before I noticed that little gem of useful info and had probably lost like 10K+ rough AD already.

Why is it that if I encounter other such caps and limits in the game I am PREVENTED from exceeding them (CANNOT invoke more than once every 1hr, or accept a new daily before the time has expired, or change instances before a 2-minute cd...or spam a skill with a cd...etc.) but yet I 'CAN' waste rough AD by hitting "REFINE" if I am at the cap already? The rough AD simply 'P00F' into non-existence.

The AD that comes from the AH is already circulating in the economy of the game so there is no reason to set a cap, because the cap is meant to reduce the impact of new AD that is added as currency in the economy of the game; think about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Don't cry you could always play STO where the cap got halved and the playerbase nearly combusted...
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This is standard practice for the company, check their other game, STO. It's why the AH prices are generally in the 500k+ range, so if you plan to impulse buy (without a stored amount of refined AD), you have to buy directly from them with real money. Same with the Zen exchange, it gives peanuts to you in comparison to the overall Zen price so that your most time efficient solution is to pull out your wallet.

If I'm not mistaken, this little tidbit was known back in closed beta and talked about on the forums time and again. I'll agree with the OP that Cryptic should be more up front about ways they're pulling at financial guiltstrings, rather than a player finding out through a misleading tooltip (not limited to AD refining). Of course, I wonder if they'd lose more players faster then....? >.>
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is standard practice for the company, check their other game, STO. It's why the AH prices are generally in the 500k+ range, so if you plan to impulse buy (without a stored amount of refined AD), you have to buy directly from them with real money. Same with the Zen exchange, it gives peanuts to you in comparison to the overall Zen price so that your most time efficient solution is to pull out your wallet.

If I'm not mistaken, this little tidbit was known back in closed beta and talked about on the forums time and again. I'll agree with the OP that Cryptic should be more up front about ways they're pulling at financial guiltstrings, rather than a player finding out through a misleading tooltip (not limited to AD refining). Of course, I wonder if they'd lose more players faster then....? >.>

You are right when you say that they try to control the economy to their favour but you are wrong about the purpose of the cap; if they'd remove the cap the AD would rapidly get devaluated, decreasing the the Zen:AD ratio.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have never "lost" any AD when hitting the cap. It simply just gets added to the pool of Rough Astral Diamonds. And yes I tried it just now with invoking. Sitting at 86k waiting to refine.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    LOL....thanks and I admire the sarcastic reply. But WHERE do you learn this info at by playing the game? Do you just have to be perceptive enough to figure it out by yourself or what? That's messed up.

Reading comprehension + common sense. If you mouse over the refine button it says you can do 24k or whatever it is per day. Common sense tells you that there would be an uproar if additional diamonds were destroyed daily -- people won't stand for that type of thing, so common sense also tells you that any left over will be there tomorrow. It does not explicitly tell you all that, no, but its the only logical conclusion after reading the pop up tooltip on the refine button.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Reading comprehension + common sense. If you mouse over the refine button it says you can do 24k or whatever it is per day. Common sense tells you that there would be an uproar if additional diamonds were destroyed daily -- people won't stand for that type of thing, so common sense also tells you that any left over will be there tomorrow. It does not explicitly tell you all that, no, but its the only logical conclusion after reading the pop up tooltip on the refine button.

Bit harshly worded but basically true.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One of the purposes is to limit the consequences exploits can have. You don't want a rough AD one to ruin the game do you? The second purpose is to make you use the AD/zen exchange.