test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forcing doors to open specific ways?

zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
Pretty much as the title suggests. Also however, does anyone know how to fix the problem of still being able to open a door that is used in an Unlock Door quest before it's supposed to be open? I'm thinking it has something to do with the way the doors face honestly.

I've tried a couple of things already.

-Tried placing the door in the room i wanted it to open from, but in a different door slot, then moved it to the slot i wanted(nope)
-Tried moving the whole room away from the map, placing the door where i wanted it, chose the graphic, then moved room back. (nope)
Post edited by zlainfurry on

Comments

• mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    When I want a locked door, I simply put an invisible wall in front of the door. Then make the wall interactable to unlock it.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I believe you can use the moveable doors from the details list, instead of from the actual door menu. Then you can spin them however you want. Pretty sure i tried that once and it worked, but then i decided not to have moveable doors anyway.

As for locking them, i believe people use invisible walls to block them. The invisible wall disappears when the key is used, then you open the door. It causes two interactions with the door, but it may be the only way.
  • mee2002mee2002 Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I think all the doors in details have a closed version that you can not open. You could use both versions, have the closed one appear first and the make it disappear/make the opening door appear when an objective is complete/dialogue reached/etc.
    NW-DPTTECLTF - Cindy Jones and the Holy Stein. A simple but hopefully entertaining foray into the world of Foundry.
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    First some reference. This bug was not present before the Foundry was down for 4 days.

In the beginning of my quest you press a button, which makes a door become available to open. Previously i had it so that pressing the button was 1 quest objective and then the unlock door objective was another one that followed it up. Doing it this way caused there to be 2 interactions at the door. The first opened the door normally, however it seemed to then duplicate the interactable for the quest(even though the quest advanced normally) when the duplicate was interacted with the player would go through the door opening animation, but backwards.

I did just figure out a work around. Don't choose anything for the doorway, then place 1 closed door asset and 1 openable door asset. Set the closed one to appear immediately and disappear when the previous quest is complete, and the openable door gets set the opposite in that it will appear when the quest is complete.

There is 1 downside to this, and that is that I'm moving from a house room to a dungeon room through this door and Universal Doors can't be placed like the other doors can. As such i'm stuck using small crypt doors for this to minimize the out of place look.

EDIT: yeah that's what i did mee, heh.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zlain, you haven't given any background, but I assume this is a connecting door between two prebaked interior rooms?

Were you placing the door by dragging it from the asset tab into the 2D map where the little green connecting highlight is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If I want the doors to only be interactive when I desire, the "place a closed, replace with an openable" is the way I've been doing it since I started this thing. While it might not be the best method from a creation standpoint, it does seem to be the most reliable and consistent. Especially if you need multiple objectives to open it, like my puzzle requires.
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
    edited July 2013
    zlain, you haven't given any background, but I assume this is a connecting door between two prebaked interior rooms?

Were you placing the door by dragging it from the asset tab into the 2D map where the little green connecting highlight is?

prebaked? Not sure what you mean by that, i'm using a generic house room and a generic dungeon room..not rooms with details stuck inside them if that is what you mean. I also did give reference in the post before your as to what was going on, but i did figure it out and decided to just go with the closed disappear/openable appear method.
  • nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    zlainfurry wrote: »
    prebaked? Not sure what you mean by that, i'm using a generic house room and a generic dungeon room..not rooms with details stuck inside them if that is what you mean. I also did give reference in the post before your as to what was going on, but i did figure it out and decided to just go with the closed disappear/openable appear method.

When you connect two like segments (cave with cave, crypt with crypt), in the "details" menu, a door icon appears over the green glow. This can be made to appear like a generic cave wall, crypt door, house door, etc. by clicking on it (or left alone to be a simple unnoticed pass-through).

He is asking if you used the "pre-baked" (using the icon that shows up automatically) door.

You did answer the question; though I think he missed it, however. You stated that, when you combine two UNlike rooms (cave with human dwelling, as example), that "automatic" can-be-set-to-a-door button doesn't function.
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not quite, nimmanu :)

zlain:

Prebaked means premade by Cryptic. Sorry. This stuff's hard to explain in words, but I'll try again

I assume (since I still don't believe that you've specifically stated) that you're using an empty indoor map, then added two premade rooms (of whatever type) to the map.

You dragged them together so that they link, and a green glowy thing appeared over the connecting doorways. Right so far?

The reason I asked is because that's not the only way to create connecting rooms in the Foundry.

When I said pre-baked, I was referring to the rooms themselves (not the door), and I was asking if you were trying to connect two pre-made/pre-baked rooms together (as opposed to inserting a door into two custom-built interior structures)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swordswornswordsworn Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The doors I set to unlock via story in my tomb can not be opened untill on that qwest. I didnt need akey ither. door sinply wouldnt be ussalbe untill on the story objective unlock door.
    45 min story driven solo dungon. Branching dialogs. Multiple mid boss encounters. More small groups of tuff mobs then trash spam. "In defence of the Beggar King" now elidgable for daily foundry. NW-DHJPT25G4

10 min short but sweat. Amusing story and dialog. Light humor. Creative hord/survival mode hybred. Detailed eviroment. Entense combat with little no respite. Lovable contact npc. "The Infinity Chest" NW-DHKAAXTP4W
    edited July 2013
    swordsworn wrote: »
    The doors I set to unlock via story in my tomb can not be opened untill on that qwest. I didnt need akey ither. door sinply wouldnt be ussalbe untill on the story objective unlock door.

Right, it seems to work fine if the door is meant to be placed in the doorway slot(human dwelling room leading to human dwelling room) but when you change that and make it a Human Dwelling room leading to any other kind of room(Dungeon, Crypt, etc) it does not work and you have to use the details of doors to fix it and simply leave the door for the ACTUAL doorway(asset you choose when you click on a fresh doorway) blank.

I guess my rooms are actually "pre baked" or whatever. Since I didn't drop a floor and then place walls around it, i dropped rooms onto the map but generic empty rooms that are just floor/walls. Still not exactly sure if that is what is being referenced. I just assumed prefabed rooms meant things like the Orc room with the hole in the ceiling and such. Regardless, it would be nice if:

A this wasn't a problem and unlock quests didn't get fickle when the door being opened leads to a different room type
    or
    B We could place Universal Doors the same way we can place all the other doors via the details tab.
  • givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    personly to do the locked door I either set the door to only open when have certian item like the key.

or i put a fake door in front of it that disappears when objective to unlock the door is in progress there are fake doors to match every openable door that do not open just place one right in front of the door you want locked.
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
  • leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    mosby1 wrote: »
    When I want a locked door, I simply put an invisible wall in front of the door. Then make the wall interactable to unlock it.

If you click the door and edit its properties, there is an option to make the door "appear" and "Disappear". If you say the door does not "appear" until a component is complete, the door remains LOCKED and can not be interacted with. To simulate a locked door, I use those "sparkle" interact graphics on the door's "Lock", and then I make it so the door "appears" when the component "Lock" is complete.

No need for fake doors and the such.