test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Requesting Reviews: A Curious Disappearance NW-DDLEOFL2Q

2»

Comments

• sphecidasphecida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    Thank you so much for your kind review, Oggbrox!

I went back and superglued those floating bottles - imagine life without gravity! I don't know how that hourglass got over to the dining table. Also, those bottles disappear when you edit them in 3D, which is sad.

That is an excellent idea to have Ashima follow. I decided to have her make a one-way patrol to the door so that the player could chat with Emlyn without mom being party to the conversation.

I know the ending was disappointing - but those tieflings sure are tricky, aren't they? You just can't trust them. Don't worry - I am working on the next part where you'll get to rescue Humphrey and trying to make it a bit unusual. :)

Also, I love that room, too. I wish I could have a shop just like that in Neverwinter.

@mcwill - thanks! I am going to fix a few things in mine when the Foundry comes back up. I'd be glad to play your quest!
  • nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    orodalf wrote: »
    Typo Report:
    • Elinore: "Why, yes, I did!" (commas)
    • Helga: "he orders a four-course..." (hyphen)
    • Duvain: "So here you are" should be "There you are." (more idiomatic)
    • Emlyn: "I'll just be on my way then. Toodleoo!" (capitalize)
    • Lucia: "My people came from Nimbral and were master illusionists." (no comma)
    • "Kronos's," not "Kronos'." ("Kronos" isn't plural)

No offense, but some of your grammar correction is not necessarily correct.

Elinore: "Why, yes, I did!" First, the first sentences commas are correct, assuming that the creator was attempt to produce a specific cadence and speech pattern. Each comma indicates a beat, a mini pause in the sentence. When writing dialogue, cadence, pattern, and inflection may be produced with commas.

Emlyn: "I'll just be on my way then. Toodleoo!" I don't know about capitalizing here, but there should be a comma before "then". In typical speech patterns, there is a micro pause there that should be distinctified (my own word, yes) in speech with a comma.

"Kronos's," not "Kronos'." ("Kronos" isn't plural) This is inaccurate. Plural Kronos would be Kronoses. When a proper name** ends in an S that does NOT make a Z sound, you do NOT add the s after the apostrophe. So Ramses would end with the 's, because it's a Z sound. However, Phyllis would end with just the ', no S. That being said, this rule is almost universally ignored or shunned in this day-and-age. But the truth remains that it is proper literary grammar to write it with an 's only if the name ends in a Z. **This rule is applied only to proper names, and thus the "plural" issue is rarely a factor. And in almost all plural names, you would use 'es' to distinguish multiple Phyllises, Kronoses, or others.
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
  • nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    sphecida wrote: »
    Do you know if there's a way to slow down speedrunners in a story-based quest? The same thought occurred to me - that people wouldn't bother with any of the dialogue. But I'm not that interested in combat. Maybe I should just accept that some people just won't appreciate the effort Foundry authors put into their work. :(

I was thinking of putting a bar in the tavern - so maybe I'll replace the benches and front desk with a bar and some tables. I wish we could have NPCs sitting, don't you?

I should be able to try your quest tomorrow and will definitely give you some feedback. Thanks so much for reviewing mine!

I'm dealing with speedrunners this way:

Every quest has a little more information if you click around. Like maybe a path to take that avoids monsters. But there's also the speedrunner special... the first option is always, "Just give me the quest, already, because I am a simpleton."

At one point, however, I have a very special speed-runner slowdown. I literally made a closed door. There are two ways to open the door... a puzzle (which once you figure it out, ironically, you can from then on just do it quickly and move on)... or the gauntlet.

The speedrunner is going to say, "Just open the door, because I'm a lazy simpleton." This one goes to, "Not this time, skippy. Pick one, combat or puzzle." Then there's a guantlet they run. At the end of the gauntlet, there's a teleporter past the locked door.

Otherwise, doing the puzzle just unlocks the locked door.

So that's how you slow down the speedrunners. They're not going to do optional quests or puzzles. So give them gauntlets that take them along winding roads and through dark, long corridors... They can hack and slash to their heart's content. It's easy, and maybe it's lazy on my part... but lazy deserves lazy, you know what I mean?
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
  • voxx75voxx75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited July 2013
    I'll definitely checks this out too, sounds interesting! If you fancy a quick dungeon crawl, you might give mine a run through ;)
    @voxx75:
    "An Occurrence at Faolon's Field"
    (daily eligible)
    Shortcode: NW-DGPROFMWU
    "A Lunacy in Havenlock" (needs reviews!)
    Shortcode: NW-DUY2JXAQQ
  • sphecidasphecida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 95
    edited July 2013
    @nimmanu - thanks for the feedback! I had a friend who used to respond to questions such as "Are you well?" by saying, "Why yes I am!" She would say that without any pause. So I wrote it that way, not realizing of course that no one else is in on that joke.

I like the idea of a gauntlet. I'm planning some puzzles and interactions in Part 2, so I could provide an alternative. Or I could just force people to try to figure it out and try not to worry about low ratings. :p

@voxx - I'll try your dungeon crawl - do you think I can do it solo?