test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is how Block works

freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Militia Barracks
This is how Block works:
  • Holding the Shift key raises your shield to protect your Guardian Fighter in a 180 degree arc centered slightly forward from the center of the character.
  • You need to face the point of origin of an attack to block it, which will be the center point of some AoE attacks.
  • While blocking you can only attack with left click (Stab) and right click (Shield Slam).
  • The Guard Meter to the left of your character indicates how much damage you can block, an amount roughly equal to a quarter of your unmodified health, plus any bonuses to your Guard Meter.
  • Increasing your health does not increase the amount you can block.
  • If the Guard Meter is reduced to empty you take any excess unblocked damage and can no longer block.
  • The Guard Meter starts to recharge after 3.5 seconds of not blocking an attack, unless the Guard Meter is broken in which case it takes 6.5 seconds.
  • Once it starts recharging the Guard Meter recharges from empty to full in 16 seconds.
  • Your Damage Reduction is applied before the blocked amount is subtracted from the Guard Meter.
  • Blocked attacks can Crit but are never Deflected.
  • Attacks with a red indicator are blocked with an additive 50% bonus to damage reduction, up to the 80% damage reduction cap.
  • Very large attacks can remove at most 18% of your Guard Bar, giving you the capacity to block about five and a half very large attacks regardless of how big they are.
  • Blocking an attack prevents that attacks effects (e.g. stun) from affecting you. There are some exceptions though like the Wright Commanders life steal.
  • The Iron Warrior ability recharges the Guard Meter in 3.5 seconds from 1% to 100%, or if the Guard Meter is broken, from 0% to 50%.
  • The Enforced Threat ability regenerates 20% of your Guard Meter over 8 seconds.

Block has been difficult to test, you can't mouse over it to see values and it's not reported clearly in the combat log. Still, thanks to a recent post from the Combat Designer I think I've got a handle on it. The some of the values given above are approximate not exact, but are close enough to be useful.

<If you find this information useful, bump this thread so other people see it>
Post edited by freehugs9 on

Comments

• mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I would expand on the chunk system and how it applies to small attacks but otherwise it seems to cover everything.

+1 For mods to sticky this for us please.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    you also can't parry an attack while blocking
    The block in center slightly forward of the center point on the character
    The block covers a 180D arc from the front of the character
    Daze no longer breaks block but smoke bomb stops block from being used.
    Iron warrior, also recharges the block meter in 3.5 sec from 1% to 100% or broken to 50%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Great info thanks. Perhaps might be worth a sticky?
  • kreicuskreicus Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013
    freehugs, good info. If I may ask, what was the recent post from the combat designer you are referring to?? Not that I don't believe you, just curious on the source.

Also,
    Iron warrior, also recharges the block meter in 3.5 sec from 1% to 100% or broken to 50%
    Just to clarify, you mean using iron warrior will bring it back to full (or 50%) in 3.5 seconds rather than 16 seconds?? Or it will just start the 3.5 second recharge cooldown immediately??
  • indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited July 2013
    These are the dev posts on it.
    lordgallen wrote: »
    So I looked into this and it appears they stack fine. You do get additional guard.

The thing that is likely throwing people off is that Guard can prevent WAY more damage than it looks like, which can mess up tests trying to count total damage, or number of hits. You can only lose so much Guard meter in a single hit, past that amount and the damage is thrown away. The Combat log does not display this information terribly well, and there is no ETA on when it would.

Currently having more meter allows you to soak up that many more smaller attacks, but will have less impact when you are hit by very damaging attacks, since much of that damage is ignored rather than absorbed by your guard meter.

It's possible that Guard Max needs to have a bigger impact on how much meter you can lose at once, but right this moment it does not. Certainly will be considered though.

Guard uses this "Guard chunk" approach since if Guard was actually an incredibly deep pool, soaking up every point of damage, it would mean that smaller attacks could never move the meter. With the chunk approach, both big and small attacks can actually affect your Guard meter.

Hope this helps clears it up a bit.
    lordgallen wrote: »
    Shield Talent increases the pool size, which helps absorb more lesser hits.
    The chunks are currently based on percentage of your guard, so are less impacted by Guard increases.

The chunks likely need to be a bit more tied into Guard bonuses so that extra guard can be better appreciated in more circumstances.
    edited July 2013
    Ok, ya so now I look like an idiot. Those posts were from my thread on guard lol. I saw the 2nd post of his but apparently I blacked out while reading and didnt even see his first post. Good job putting this all together and testing freehugs.
  • koochengbeerukoochengbeeru Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    this thread needs a sticky
  • freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    you also can't parry an attack while blocking
    The block in center slightly forward of the center point on the character
    The block covers a 180D arc from the front of the character
    Daze no longer breaks block but smoke bomb stops block from being used.

Thanks Demonsunder I'll add this stuff in, plus you've given me the idea to include the basics for block as well as the things I had to work out.

How much of the Guard Meter does Enforced Threat give? I can test it tonight, but if someone already knows that would be handy. :)
    edited July 2013
    kreicus wrote: »
    Ok, ya so now I look like an idiot. Those posts were from my thread on guard lol. I saw the 2nd post of his but apparently I blacked out while reading and didnt even see his first post. Good job putting this all together and testing freehugs.

Heh. After Lord Gallen posted that in your thread I went and tested it: took off most of my gear to reduce my damage reduction and found a high level enemy to hit me (I'm only 35 on my GF) so that every hit would be really big. Every hit took the same amount of my Guard Meter, regardless of the actual size of the attack, and I absorbed 5.5 hits. Tried it 6 times with identical results.
    In the combat log though there's no change to the way it's reported vs. regular blocked attacks. My Guardian Fighter can only block about 2.3k damage in small attacks (tested vs. low level enemies for lots of small fast attacks), but with this chunk system I'd absorbed 35k.
  • zxornzxorn Member Posts: 160 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I've not experience any mitigation from small guarded attacks, I know there's a problem with the combat log reporting damage and it "seems" like the base 10% increase is there but not character mitigation.

Its good to know that increased HP pool does not affect guard I figured it as a refection of you HP but that's unfortunate and puts even more value on dex over str.

I've also not experienced any Guard % gain from any of the abilities which do so. This could be related to the guard recharging timer after a guarded attack but seems to lower the value of those skills when its not there when you need it.

It should also be noted that some large attacks have a bleed over effect, In case of Dracolich's hands you will always take a portion of the damage. Also Smoke bomb effect can be blocked as long as you are facing the center of the effect much like a lot of AoE CC effects.
    edited July 2013
    zxorn wrote: »
    I've not experience any mitigation from small guarded attacks, I know there's a problem with the combat log reporting damage and it "seems" like the base 10% increase is there but not character mitigation.

Are you referring to Shieldmaster? There's an official post about that HERE.
    To summarise, Shieldmaster works but doesn't show in the combat log, and it doesn't require Shield Talent to function. It's a passive boost unrelated to Shield Talent.

It should also be noted that some large attacks have a bleed over effect, In case of Dracolich's hands you will always take a portion of the damage. Also Smoke bomb effect can be blocked as long as you are facing the center of the effect much like a lot of AoE CC effects.

Good to know! This explains some things I've been failing to block like a scrub. ;)
    edited July 2013
    Oh I read the previous patch notes as guard mitigation increased by 20% from larger attacks and further down it says The amount of damage the Guardian Fighter can block before breaking guard has been increased by 10%. Mixed that up.

Also noted they fixed the bleed through effect in the last patch.
    edited July 2013
    Yeah those patch notes were the reason I checked for extra mitigation on attacks with a red indicator. The damage reduction bonus there is huge (+50%), way more than you'd ever need in PvE given the 80% cap but maybe useful in PvP vs. opponents with high Armor Penetration.
  • zierzozierzo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    freehugs9 wrote: »
    [*]The Guard Meter to the left of your character indicates how much damage you can block, an amount roughly equal to a quarter of your unmodified health, plus any bonuses to your Guard Meter.

[*]Increasing your health does not increase the amount you can block.

Need a clarification on this one ... it states your guard meter can block an ammount of damage equal to a quarter of your unmodified health, ie base one. The second sentence emphasizes that increasing your health does not increase the block ammount

The main question is what is considered "base" health and what increased/buffed? For example constitution bonus to HP is considered "increased health" or contributes to your base hp pool? Would be very interesting to know to see if CON is still the main stat to focus by default for a GF, otherwise STR could seem more mandatory even for a defensive guardian

Another question, feats like toughness that gives a permanent increase to your HP also contributes to this base health for the block ammount percentage? The feats that gives temporaty hitpoints or external buffs that increases your HP are obiously the things that [*]Increasing your health does not increase the amount you can block is reffering to
    edited July 2013
    Sorry if that's unclear, but I don't think the amount you can block is linked to health in any way other than the coincidence that it's about a quarter of your health before Con or any other bonus is applied.
    The reason I've mentioned health at all is that the quarter rule has held true at different levels. Once my GF is level 60 I intend to put some effort into getting an exact number for level 60, but that will be some time off.

Or, if you'd like to assist I can recommend a method of testing your block value that is reasonably accurate.
    edited July 2013
    I've also not experienced any Guard % gain from any of the abilities which do so. This could be related to the guard recharging timer after a guarded attack but seems to lower the value of those skills when its not there when you need it.

I know if you have Iron Warrior up and you block something, you only lose 1/2, maybe less of your guard meter then normal, it is a pretty big boost, just...the time it takes to cast the ability and hoping you get a lot of use out of it (besides the temp health part which can be really useful) its a hard skill to use for blocking. I wish it was an instant cast like Knights Valor,....also with Into the Fray was instant cast, so when I'm increasing my parties run speed i dont fall behind due to casting time.

eh. After Lord Gallen posted that in your thread I went and tested it: took off most of my gear to reduce my damage reduction and found a high level enemy to hit me (I'm only 35 on my GF) so that every hit would be really big. Every hit took the same amount of my Guard Meter, regardless of the actual size of the attack, and I absorbed 5.5 hits. Tried it 6 times with identical results.

Thanks for doing the testing,...not get your GF to 60 and test more! :D
    edited July 2013
    Is Knights Valor working these days? No more getting stuck?
    Just tested Enforced Threat, adding that in now.
    edited July 2013
    I have a challenge for you. I've been curious if the mitigation from Negation Enchant functions with guard meter.
    edited July 2013
    I'd love to test that Zxorn if you're buying the enchant for me. ;)