test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What happened to "At-Will" on the move?

gnominiongnominion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know this has been bugging more than just me. But, what happened to being able to use "At-Will" abilities on the move? Did it get changed in a patch? Did I miss it in the release notes? I have seen others ask about it in multiple threads. You can see the Dev's playing a CW, using Magic Missile while on the move in the demo video "Class Preview: The Control Wizard".

So, again I pose the question of what happened? Is it broken, or nerfed? Is there a setting we are missing? Is there something we are doing wrong? Because I have been unable to do it and I don't know anyone else who can either.
Post edited by gnominion on

Comments

• reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Im kind of glad the magic classes at will abilities require to be still to use them.

Otherwise you would rarely even hit them if you were a melee class. And it would just be basically a 3rd person shooter to the magic classes.
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    a few you can use on the move, like clerics in divine mode, but you move at half speed, not hard for melees to keep up in pvp.
    would be nicer in pve to move out of red splats. so many times I'm trying to move but my guy is still finishing the at-will animation for .5 a sec and I'm too late.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    The devs killed it because they felt it made kiting melee attacks too easy, which it did.

I still would like to get a step between attacks a bit easier but this is far better than the initial 'nerf.'
    I'd love a bit more mobility but this is still very much do-able and for the most part if you never experienced the ability to move while using are wills it seems you don't miss it.
  • givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would just like to be able to move when the spell is done instead of the animation fireing chill strike with lag factored in takes 3 to 5 seconds. anything tries to hit you or in case of mad dragon puts red circle under your feet your getting hit if you try to use it.
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There are some attacks that need to be changed for this to work, so at-will while moving wouldnt work now the way some attacks are.
  • utaniautania Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2013
    Is that why these is also a stutter on using an avoid ability like dodge?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    There's little to no stutter, or there shouldn't be.
    After the movement was removed from At-Will attacks one of the first things they did was drastically increase the response time of the dodge abilities.

If you feel a stutter make sure it's not for some intended game mechanic (like stuns/CC) or due to lag and submit a bug report. Dodge/Block should take a fraction of a second to activate.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    utania wrote: »
    Is that why these is also a stutter on using an avoid ability like dodge?

No, that's unrelated. That is due to a change during late beta to put all Shift abilities server-side in order to avoid a Stamina exploit that enabled players to move with their Shift permanently. Before that, apart from Block which has always had some kind of internal delay, Shift moves were instantaneous and could also be used as clutch moves to avoid damage at the last millisecond.

Now, you must anticipate damage or move much earlier according to your latency to the server to guarantee a dodge from incoming damage. If you move late, the client thinks you have moved until the server tells it you have not, so you get rubberbanded (something that never happened prior).

Of course, if you get random extra lag (from any source), that can mess up your timing too, but that's a separate issue.

Believe it or not, things have vastly improved since that Stamina exploit fix when they just put in some kind of rushed emergency code. It used to be so bad the game was almost unplayable. Now, players should rarely get rubberbanded unless their connection is unstable or the server/instance is under heavy load occasionally.
  • utaniautania Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2013
    Thanks.

I was noticing it when running then rolling forward, it would be a second before i would start running again
  • gnominiongnominion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    Thank you for responding Ambisinisterr. I wasn't sure if maybe I was doing something wrong or not. I also had some guild mates ask me about it and I had no answer for them. Now we know. It's really more of an esthetic "nice to have". I made it to 60 (on a very poorly spec'd CW) with out it. :) But it does look REALLY COOL in the video :)

But I have seen the stutter utania was mentioning. I thought it might have been lag also, but it has happened on multiple machines on multiple networks. I notices with the CW that it seems to be more when I am interrupting a spell to dodge or right after a spell/ability completes that there is a bit of a stutter. It seems to have something to do with graphic/animation completion that causes it. At least from what I have observed. But then I am not a developer and could be completley off.
  • zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    a few you can use on the move, like clerics in divine mode, but you move at half speed, not hard for melees to keep up in pvp.
    would be nicer in pve to move out of red splats. so many times I'm trying to move but my guy is still finishing the at-will animation for .5 a sec and I'm too late.

Yep this is why it sucks.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is deliberate. You can break any power animation with your class Utility power (the Shift move) including the At-Wills. But, you have to have enough Stamina to do it.

This makes Stamina an important resource to keep track of during combat. You must carefully decide when to use your Utility power because it is not always available.

Every attack roots you and the Utility power is the only way to break that root. This is meant to make us think, strategize and pay attention. It hightens the feeling of urgency by making commitment to an action stressful. This, in turn increases the perception of unpredictable, action-packed combat.

Removing the ability to attack while moving was one of the best decisions they made during Alpha development. It took me some time to fully appreciate that.
  • zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is deliberate. You can break any power animation with your class Utility power (the Shift move) including the At-Wills. But, you have to have enough Stamina to do it.

This makes Stamina an important resource to keep track of during combat. You must carefully decide when to use your Utility power because it is not always available.

Every attack roots you and the Utility power is the only way to break that root. This is meant to make us think, strategize and pay attention. It hightens the feeling of urgency by making commitment to an action stressful. This, in turn increases the perception of unpredictable, action-packed combat.

Removing the ability to attack while moving was one of the best decisions they made during Alpha development. It took me some time to fully appreciate that.

You can break any power animation? Weird... I can't... can I buy something from the zen shop to fix that? hehe
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zellex wrote: »
    You can break any power animation? Weird... I can't... can I buy something from the zen shop to fix that? hehe

Yeah. No matter how much stamina I have, there is no way that cw can break in certain situations. I get hit constantly in mad dragon, from aoe circles, because I'm casting. Blink just doesn't work correctly sometimes.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah. No matter how much stamina I have, there is no way that cw can break in certain situations. I get hit constantly in mad dragon, from aoe circles, because I'm casting. Blink just doesn't work correctly sometimes.

I have only seen this consistently from Ray of Enfeeblement. It is as if you are continually casting multiple little spells so end up having to anticipate moving even earlier than usual or be locked into one of the small casts that can leave you in danger.

I imagine, though I have not tested it, that it may also happen with Ray of Frost.

You learn to work around these sorts of things. If you think working around Mad Dragon's big obvious red aoe's is hard, wait till you hit Castle Never Dracolith fight with his one-shotting Mirrored Daze/Hands! But, yes, every CW learns to cope eventually.
  • g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The devs killed it because they felt it made kiting melee attacks too easy, which it did.

I still would like to get a step between attacks a bit easier but this is far better than the initial 'nerf.'
    I'd love a bit more mobility but this is still very much do-able and for the most part if you never experienced the ability to move while using are wills it seems you don't miss it.

why killing it? make certain at-wills movable and others not. Something wrong with devs in this game...

It is either make it OP or nerf it to hell. No normal solution?
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    g0ld3n4c3 wrote: »
    why killing it? make certain at-wills movable and others not. Something wrong with devs in this game...

It is either make it OP or nerf it to hell. No normal solution?

There is no in between, it is unfair for ranged classes to move while attacking. They already have the safety of being able to attack from 100 miles away and come with tools to create distance, if they can move while doing so, then what would be the point in playing a melee class in the first place? It's just part of balancing and I see no reason to change it other than maybe allow Melee (mainly GF and GWF not TR) to be able to move in between strikes easily.
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    I have only seen this consistently from Ray of Enfeeblement. It is as if you are continually casting multiple little spells so end up having to anticipate moving even earlier than usual or be locked into one of the small casts that can leave you in danger.

I imagine, though I have not tested it, that it may also happen with Ray of Frost.

You learn to work around these sorts of things. If you think working around Mad Dragon's big obvious red aoe's is hard, wait till you hit Castle Never Dracolith fight with his one-shotting Mirrored Daze/Hands! But, yes, every CW learns to cope eventually.

Not the big aoe, because I'm never in the big aoe. The dragon is turned, so the big aoe isn't much of a problem, and I'm not standing near him anyway.

I'll try it out later and see what skills cause it.

I'm not saying players should be able to move while fighting. Games with guns, yeah. Some of the animations should be tweaked, and shift should always interrupt, when it's available.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.