test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reclamation-Slay the Scalefather - Tips?

bcolfleshbcolflesh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
My Guardian Fighter, level 44 w/a level 15 Cleric is overwhelmed by the Scalefather immediately - even after an altar session, and taking every available potion - I've cleared out most of the next area quests to get to level 44, but I must be missing some simple strategy here...
Post edited by bcolflesh on

Comments

• roadkillaroadkilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nope he's op since beta.
    I got stomped by him 7 times at lvl 42 and 2 times at lvl 44. I just skip it now.
    half of the instance quests you get from 40-60 you just have to skip unless you have a partner.
    the add spawns are over tuned for solo.
  • bcolfleshbcolflesh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the reply, man - since I posted that I actually took him out with the same setup as my post, but I just ran away from the poison attacks and guarded the other stuff and managed to pick him apart with dailies and my hot key attacks - took forever and his final hulk summons did not help, as it constantly one-shot killed my cleric.
  • pmiillepmiille Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    honestly, i don't understand why they made it the way they did. if they want that to be a group quest, then make it a group quest. don't try to make it nearly impossible without absolutely perfect strategy and timing. the game is supposed to be fun, but it's not the least bit fun when you go through this kind of garbage. at least 9 tries and closest i've gotten him was to about 40%. i am also running a devoted cleric companion. lvl 44 now, on the last 2 attempts, and didn't get as far as i did at 43, on at least 2 attempts.
  • gildren0gildren0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At level 49 this quest is still impossible to do with a character and a max level follower. It needs to be re-designed or turned into a "group suggested" quest.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I killed it at 2nd try with my GF (main toon), First and without dropping half HP with TR (first alt), im close to that quest with my Cw, lets see.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    gildren0 wrote: »
    At level 49 this quest is still impossible to do with a character and a max level follower. It needs to be re-designed or turned into a "group suggested" quest.

On the basis that people are managing to do it fine solo and with basic companions, I don't think that 'impossible' is the correct word.

You do have to use potions, and you will likely end up ressing your companion several times, and you do need to move out of red areas. But so far I've done it with DC, GWF and GF. Generally dying a couple of times before I get it down pat.

What class are you, with which companion, and what part of the fight are you having the most issues with?
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember this scaly git, beat him first time with my GF and a cleric comp, I thought he was far harder than the Rimehound. Kite the adds away to kill, stay out of the poison and take him down slowly are the only tips I can give.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • sylantax3sylantax3 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thank god...I thought it was just me!

Mind you, I am kind of bad at these games.... :(

Still, it's fun playing 'em.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I really hate this boss! Scalefather has just killed my Wizard (my first death with this character).

I play solo, and this is the sort of thing I'm talking about when I say the game ramps up the difficulty to an insane level once you hit about level 30. From that level onwards, the game rapidly decreases in fun (for me anyway).

I do have a strategy for soloing the bosses though; lead the boss as far away from his original area as possible. His adds spawn in that area, and if you've lead him far enough away, the adds can't find you, or if they can, hopefully you've killed the boss before they get to you. Once you've killed the boss, you can go back and take care of the adds.

Just a note: When I first started playing the game I read that the difficulty was supposed to scale based on the number of players in a quest instance. Will this ever be implemented?
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If it gets so frustrating just move on to another area and come back a level or two later and give it a try. This wont help much in Whispering since that's a level 59-60 area but most others it's a viable tactic. It's better than banging your head against the wall at least.

I don't remember having that much of an issue with my DC but that was before AS got nerfed. I suspect more than a few missions will be tough to solo with a rank 15 companion and a large gap in AS coverage without not much to make up for it healing wise. But I digress a bit...
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    I do have a strategy for soloing the bosses though; lead the boss as far away from his original area as possible. His adds spawn in that area, and if you've lead him far enough away, the adds can't find you, or if they can, hopefully you've killed the boss before they get to you. Once you've killed the boss, you can go back and take care of the adds.
    QUOTE]

Same here, some bosses just have too many mobs or teleport straight to your face. Which is nice for a GWF, but not so much for a squishy TR or CW.

Didn't Scalefather's lair have a bunch of traps too? They can help you out too, and once activated can act like a barrier for the mobs.
  • xippinxippin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    yerune wrote: »
    Same here, some bosses just have too many mobs or teleport straight to your face. Which is nice for a GWF, but not so much for a squishy TR or CW.

Didn't Scalefather's lair have a bunch of traps too? They can help you out too, and once activated can act like a barrier for the mobs.

^This

I have taken a DC, GF and GWF through every solo quest in the game with nothing but basic companions. I highlighted the traps, because traps will damage enemies as well as yourself. Learn to use them, especially on adds. And the quests are not overly hard if you use what's available to you. The only character I ever died solo questing with is my DC because it was my first character.

As for Scalefeather or whatever his name is, if I remember correctly, if you let his poison hit you it actually adds a stacking debuff of some type (I think the poison stacks in intensity). If you avoid the poison you'll take significantly reduced damage throughout the fight. The larger enemies that spawn towards the end have the same "tell" that all large enemies have, VERY SLOW big attacks. They are easy to avoid, you don't even have to dodge...simply walk to the back or side of them and they will miss. It's just a matter of paying attention to your surroundings.

There is no solo instance boss that you need to kite away so adds don't spawn, generally the adds can be killed quickly, a good strategy is have an AoE damage daily loaded and save your daily for the adds...not the boss. I used this method on all 3 characters I have and found great success with it.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    This is not a particularly hard fight, it's just important that you maintain situational awareness. Don't stand in bad stuff, avoid as much as you can. It makes the fight take a while, it's mostly just a "don't stand in the bad stuff" skillcheck, though.

Later on, a lot of mileage comes from avoiding red zone attacks or obviously telegraphed stuff (esp in boss fights). You may as well get used to it now in a safe setup with no-one laughing at you. It's a key skill, which will save you a lot of a pots and injury kits. Once you've learned to do this, it will make a lot of things easier. You just need to maintain some minimal situational awareness.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am pretty sure that I have beaten him with every class, even the GWF before the buff. Cleric companion in almost all cases, and sometimes I used lots of pots, but always just in standard green quest (not blue dungeon) gear . I do (more or less) follow the builds suggested in the forums which might help a lot though.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As a GF, it is important to practice when to block and when to move. It is also good to practice a good rotation of powerful and useful interrupts that will work on many more powerful enemies such as your stuns and knockbacks. Griffon's Strike is hugely useful for that.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    As a GF, it is important to practice when to block and when to move. It is also good to practice a good rotation of powerful and useful interrupts that will work on many more powerful enemies such as your stuns and knockbacks. Griffon's Strike is hugely useful for that.

I preferred using knee breaker. Put the DOT on a target, blow it away with bull charge or frontline surge and engage something else while the DOT ticks away. Alternatively, use it on the boss, then retreat to kill the adds.
    Griffon's strike has a long animation time in comparison, which doesn't suit my play style.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • kking650kking650 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Managed to kill him at lvl 46 Cleric. My Fighter pet was essentially useless.
  • modimormodimor Member Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Just avoid his spear attack. It's the one who takes about half your health. Kill adds when they spawn. Even if he heals up they won't spawn again when he hits that % mark. When what i think is 3 waves of adds are dead you can pretty easily take him down. The circle he puts down does almoast no dmg.
  • circuiteightcircuiteight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm a level 42 CW and this is also my first character. No other solo boss has given me as much grief as this guy. I simply don't have the defense to take a hit here and there. Full pots, lvl 15 tank companion, about 50/50 green and blue gear, and jamming health potions as soon as the CD is up. I can't flash out of situations fast enough and even the adds put so much pressure on me I'm left running around like some poor **** ******* in PvP waiting for stamina and encounters to CD. I understand the "situational awareness" and points from other posters on how this boss just isn't so hard... That's not the issue. The fact remains that the *difference* in difficulty between the rest of the instance and the fight with Scalefather is staggering. I'm capable of flashing out of the way of an attack or walking out of a red circle, but the adds and boss practically teleport and jump all over my *** so fast that my meager defense doesn't hold up.

I got the Scalefather to around 50%. If any CWs have beaten this, which none of the posters I've seen have stated they used a CW, please pass on some tips. Good luck to the others.

EDIT: Yes, I use shield.
  • dsolzdsolz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Done it solo on my cw and dc. I dont remember have much trouble using cw. I cant remember what i did but most likely is the choking spell and the freezing and tonnes of kiting especially when the adds spawn.

I have more trouble when i solo him with dc. I was basically blasting him with the daunting light and hope for the best. Took me a few try.

I didnt have much trouble killing him using gwf but i did need to run ard alot to avoid the op area effect spells.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I got the Scalefather to around 50%. If any CWs have beaten this, which none of the posters I've seen have stated they used a CW, please pass on some tips. Good luck to the others.

I'm not so sure anymore, but I believe I only had real trouble with the Rhinehound and other mobs with massive aoe's. CW was actually the easiest to deal with bosses, especially those that can be controlled. I usually use a choke-freeze combination.
  • mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'm not sure how GF's struggle with the instance bosses in maps. I did the same thing for everyone of them. Knights Challenge, Fronline Surge/Bull Rush, Lunge. Rinse Repeat with the occasional pot or Fighters Recovery. It's basically your PVP strategy as well.
  • celestreacelestrea Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm a level 44 Trickster Rogue and this has been kicking my butt all day, it's costing me a fortune. I can get him all the way down to two blocks left on his health bar and then without fail I die. Hugely annoying =[
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited July 2013
    Next time you're leveling a toon get a Phoera, Wererat or Dancing Jagged Blade. The white companions are pretty much worthless after level 25 or so, and those I just listed are cheap on the AH. I wouldn't suggest anything other than a stone or cat for 99% of players at level 60, tho.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That's funny, i had hard time today with my new lvl 40ish GF in the pirate zone. Most boss have life steal abilities, and even if i block their life drain, they get a lot of HPs back. Quite interesting mechanic. I've been able to do it, but it was painful and slow. Never had any issue with my DC or my CW, massive heals and stuns help a lot in there. But a melee char vs the lizardfolks is quite a dreadful experience, and i'm in no way a newbie. Even their mages are a huge pain with the poison attack since you can't dodge or block it as a tank.
    edited July 2013
    I'm wondering if I kick off the fight and then run back I can lessen the amount of spawns I get? Last time I tried the fight I did it without my companion (Man At Arms) and it made no difference, since my biggest issue is the fact that as a TR I'm squishy, maybe if I went and got a Cleric companion would make it a little better? I haven't had the heart to log in an give it a go today
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    celestrea wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I kick off the fight and then run back I can lessen the amount of spawns I get? Last time I tried the fight I did it without my companion (Man At Arms) and it made no difference, since my biggest issue is the fact that as a TR I'm squishy, maybe if I went and got a Cleric companion would make it a little better? I haven't had the heart to log in an give it a go today

Running back a few rooms, to mitigate add spawns, used to be a viable tactic until recently. It wont work anymore. The bosses are now leashed to their rooms, if you run to far they will just reset.

Best advice anyone can offer is to stay mobile. Focus on adds first, they ultimately will do more damage to you then the one boss. Use anything you can, stuns, holds, knocks, ect, to separate mobs so you can single each one out for a quick kill. Once adds are down, dont rush to DPS the boss too quickly. Give yourself time to recover and let timers on health pots reset. Before you dive in and set another wave of adds loose.
    edited July 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Running back a few rooms, to mitigate add spawns, used to be a viable tactic until recently. It wont work anymore. The bosses are now leashed to their rooms, if you run to far they will just reset.

Best advice anyone can offer is to stay mobile. Focus on adds first, they ultimately will do more damage to you then the one boss. Use anything you can, stuns, holds, knocks, ect, to separate mobs so you can single each one out for a quick kill. Once adds are down, dont rush to DPS the boss too quickly. Give yourself time to recover and let timers on health pots reset. Before you dive in and set another wave of adds loose.

I'll try it this way then, probably the best advice I've had so far, thank you =]
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    celestrea wrote: »
    I'll try it this way then, probably the best advice I've had so far, thank you =]

This applies for almost any boss, as long as you keep moving they cant hurt you. They are generally slow and have long attack animations. As long as you keep running, they cant touch you. The adds on the other hand are much faster, if they are ranged they will wear you down pretty quickly.

Save your stealth for when the adds pop. It should give you time to kill a few of them off before you get mobbed. As long as you can stay at arms reach, you control the fight. It allows your stealth meter to build back up, gives your pot timers a chance to reset, and your encounter powers a chance to cool down. Dive in when you have the advantage, stab, stab, stab, then dive out and kite until ready to go in again.

Good luck with it, hope this helps :D
    edited July 2013
    I managed it! Huzzah! Thank you so much!