test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the control Wizard's Tab power?

zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2014 in The Library
Does the Control Wizard have an actual tab ability? I am level 14 and still havn't recieved one but I have recieved a level 10 passive that sits in the little square next to the Tab power icon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Character is what a man is in the dark
Post edited by zylaxx on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You get to drag and place the spell in tab icon. The spell you place in tab will be "POWER UP" version of the previous spell.

The power up can be anything - from single target spell becoming AoE to a damage spell increasing damage, knocking down people or putting DoT additional damage.

Some spells are too cool for anything else but tab. The explaination is there somewhere in the tips.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Really? Thought it was just another encounter power so I stuck repel there. It's working out well.
  • kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    You get to drag and place the spell in tab icon. The spell you place in tab will be "POWER UP" version of the previous spell.

Oh, is that what "Spell Mastery" means? I was wondering why my ground cold AoE thing can be targetted, when it's under Spell Mastery.
    edited March 2013
    Really? Thought it was just another encounter power so I stuck repel there. It's working out well.

Repel gives you AoE in tab, otherwise it is single target. (EDIT: by AoE I mean cone AoE)

It is the spell made to be placed in Tab.

@kfmc, yes that is what spell mastery means - you master one spell in tab. However you can change it anytime, so at any given time you can be a master of any spell.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Yeah...actually dunno what other spell I'd put there. Have an aoe knock back is stupidly handy.
  • stereocyclopsstereocyclops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    Hey thanks! I totally missed that. Now don't I feel dumb..... :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Hey I wa totally fine with thinking it was just another encounter power, this just makes it better.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Wow how did I miss this in the description. Thanks for the information.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    @kfmc, yes that is what spell mastery means - you master one spell in tab. However you can change it anytime, so at any given time you can be a master of any spell.
    Cool. Did I just miss it, or was this super helpful info not mentioned in the game? Heck, I didn't even realize that my Tab key unlocked. And here I was making sure to take a look at ctrl+P every level up.
    edited March 2013
    Nice to know it helped many people. In that case, another tip to make a better controlling control wizard:-

Feat points: Work towards making cooldown of spell as low as possible. Increasing hold time looks like an obvious choice for 'control' but its a trap. Lowering cooldowns of spells is a better option for control.
  • pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Spell Mastery is an additional application of a specific spell. I personally like Chill Strike because it turns it into an AoE. All of your spells will have a Spell Mastery application which has their own special additions to it. Like Ray of Enfeeblement? Gives you two charges instead of one, that can be cast on two seperate targets, or doubled up on the same on.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Umm, what happens if you put Ray of Frost in there? Or Magic Missiles?
  • pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You don't.. It's for Encounter abilities. Chill Strike and such like that. The abilities in their description would have a 'Spell Mastery' addition to the bottom, saying what it would do when it's used in the Tab slot.
  • evil713evil713 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This really needs to be explaned ingame. I just started playing and i thought arcane mastery bonuses were activated by a stack of arcane made by magic missile.

Once i got ray of enfeeblement in that slot i left it there, never switching it out.
  • uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nice to know it helped many people. In that case, another tip to make a better controlling control wizard:-

Feat points: Work towards making cooldown of spell as low as possible. Increasing hold time looks like an obvious choice for 'control' but its a trap. Lowering cooldowns of spells is a better option for control.

Can't agree more about the cooldown reduction being better than duration. The interruption of an attack is even more important than the holding effect. Now, i wont complain if we got any extra time. :)
  • abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    evil713 wrote: »
    This really needs to be explaned ingame. I just started playing and i thought arcane mastery bonuses were activated by a stack of arcane made by magic missile.

Once i got ray of enfeeblement in that slot i left it there, never switching it out.

Just as a helpful tip, the DoT aspect of Ray of Enfeeblement does not stack on the same enemy, only the debuff aspect does.
  • evil713evil713 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah i figured that out pretty quick. now is it naturally a two shot power or is that just because it was in the mastery slot?
  • dollahzdollahz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I learned this at like lvl 20 something. There needs to be better in-game explanations. You guys should check out this Control Wizard page Ive been working on. It has got alot of Control Wizard information. Staring at Feats is helping me cope with the wait between beta. I cant imagine how brutal it will be when we have to wait months for open beta/release.
  • hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Speaking of feats, is it worth a try to max crits (charisma score, feats that increase crits, items for crits) and then max a feat from tactitian branch that gives up to '+5% to daily bar for each crit'? Is sounds cool in theory, but is it possible to raise the actual crit value so high, that daily power restores fast enough? Magic missle shoots fast enough(and 'snowballs' shoot even faster), so getting a lot of crits may be possible. (anyway I feel like it's at least worth a try :D)

How much crit you get from charisma bonuses and what's the conversion bertween 'skills' and actual values? I know that for lifesteal it's like '1% for about 100 skill points', for power I got about '+50 dmg for 1300 power'. Is it possible to get those numbers for other skills somewhere?

PS Guess it's somewhere in the wiki, gotta check it now :D
    edited March 2013
    Good question. The best I can do for now is hope that it is linear and watch some guys stream. Hope he shows his character panel and hovers over his critical. From that we can make a logical guess as to how much per. Most Critical I had in beta was like 8% and I had like all critical items but they were mostly white quality. I think stats are made to scale at 60. So I dont think u will see a significant effectiveness til max cap. I was actually thinking about a build like that. What we can tell for now Critical seems to be the most effective stat but it is still too early to tell. Also Recovery is a very good stat. I want to try a max Recovery build to get my encounter abilities as low as possible. Also the wiki is based on screenshots taken by ‎Shaudius on a level 1 character.
  • hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dollahz wrote: »
    Good question. The best I can do for now is hope that it is linear and watch some guys stream. Hope he shows his character panel and hovers over his critical. From that we can make a logical guess as to how much per. Most Critical I had in beta was like 8% and I had like all critical items but they were mostly white quality. I think stats are made to scale at 60. So I dont think u will see a significant effectiveness til max cap. I was actually thinking about a build like that. What we can tell for now Critical seems to be the most effective stat but it is still too early to tell. Also Recovery is a very good stat. I want to try a max Recovery build to get my encounter abilities as low as possible. Also the wiki is based on screenshots taken by ‎Shaudius on a level 1 character.

I roughly scrolled through wiki, this is what feats can offer:
    Weapon mastery [3] - +3%
    Chilling advantage [5] - +5% for 'Chilling cloud' (only works for ice spell, so magic missle won't work)
    Phantasmail Destruction [5] - +15% critical severity if you deal combat advantage damage (no idea what's either of those, but another feat gives you combat advantage for 4 seconds after every crit, so those should work well). If critical severity means the actual damage of crits, not the chance, then sadly it's not that helpfull.
    Eye of the storm (passive paragorn feat) - 10% to add 50 crit ratio on all attacks? Again, not really knowing how much that helps (because 50 skill crit is like 0.5%, I doubt they would add such EPIC passive for end levels)

So all in all it's only +8% for chill spells and 'no idea how much more' from other feats (lucky if it gets to 15% with all the stuff mentioned above).
    Another solid portion can come from charisma - screw base damage, with a good base roll it's possible to have 16-17 charisma, by level 30 it could be 19-20, so it should be about '+10%'.

Finally, there are skills. If it is linear and is 1% for every 100 skill points, then getting 10-20 percent by lvl 30-35 should be possible.
    If all is sumed - it's about 30% crit chance(now even on high levels, I'm taking somewhere around 30-35 because that's as far as I leveled up, I don't know how much 'skill points' are given later), which is roughly every 3rd attack(again, it's more if those misterous feats are actually useful). I didn't really count how many 'snowballs' can you throw per second, but with that number I guess it's possible to roughly get the time to get 'full daily bar'
    edited March 2013
    Not sure what critical severity is but I suspect it has something to do with critical damage. If I had to guess it would be +15% critical damage. Combat Advantage is something I do know. It is what you get when you flank an enemy. Basically attacking him from behind. You start dealing massive amount of damage if you can maintain combat advantage. Pretty cool mechanic actually.

I suspect that the lvl 60 items will grant massive amount of stats so u can achieve 50% crit with all the feats and stuff.
    edited March 2013
    Well, 50% would be amazing.
    Judjung by trailers, CW can do about 5 hits every 2 seconds with magic missle. With a 50% crit and 5% 'fill' rate, he would need to make 40 hits on average (20 times 5 to fill the bar, and it works with every second attack) to fill it just by autoattacking(more chance - even faster).

5 hits need 2 seconds, so 40 hits need around 16 seconds (if nothing else is cast).

Casting a daily power once in 20 seconds(with all the cast times) - sounds like a good build idea :D

PS With 33% crit chance it's about 24 seconds, which is not bad either. Another end, 100% crit chance, allows to fill the bar in 8 seconds. While this sounds great, on practice I'd guess that rasing crits above 40% is not really worth it - the time increase is not that huge (only 8 seconds between 33% and 50%), while other skills will be too low if they are ignored.

PPS Hope this won't get nerfed, since it sort of sounds too good to be true. On the other hand, it takes alot of effort to raise such wizard (because early those crits won't be visible at all, and they won't even fill the bar).

PPPS If this 'crit wizard' build doesn't get nerfed and it will work as I predicted, I so gonna make a
    'sexy commando wizard build'
    guide ('sexy' - because key stat would be charisma :D).
  • rangorvixrangorvix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    First off, loved the wiki, really helpfull and look forward to more info appearing there.

Secondly, I am abit new to 4e rules as I havent played since 2e, but am very much looking forward to this game (particularly the foundry and being a semi-DM again)

Thirdly - and reason for this, I am currently planning on going all-out controlling (probably Human) control wizard - Primary: Debuff/Slow/Stun, secondary: Buff/AoE Dmg. I like the idea of controlling the battlefield more than the damage dealing, which ive done before in other mmo's, as well as healing and am out to try something new.

So I am thinking that Stats/Feats that aid chilling, improve recharge (assume this mean encounter CD), possible improve duration and also improve the action point generation to get the daily power more often as well (I read the crit build reply above with interest btw, the Critical Power Renegade Paragon feats seems a really good place to put spare feat pnts - I will likely spec mainly in the Oppressor Paragon tree though).

Some general questions:
    Ability priorities - Would Int be the best place to focus stats? I know it improves recharge, which I believe I would want (and extra dmg is always nice), but it feels like Wisdom would be more helpfull for a heavy controlling build, as it provides a extra recharge, action pnts & control bonus. So i am thinking Wis > Int > Cha > Crit... so is this just some dreamy/stupid idea?

The first Heroic Feat tier, is it worth putting more than 2 pnts in Controlling Action, as Weapon Mastery just seems way better for just 3 pnts?

Do the end tier Paragon tree ability cost 5 feat pnts? I could have sworn I saw a vid showing it only costing 1, but my eyes may have betrayed me;p

Any idea how many feat points we will have to spend? How free are you to spend between paragon trees?

I'll stop now, I havent been able to get into beta and so many questions/enthusiasm for what I see is gonna make me explode soonz;p
    Thanks (and again, love the wiki)
    edited March 2013
    It only cost 1 feat point... That was a bad copy and paste job.. Thanks for the catch.. :) I plan to go over the wiki again once I got all the classes done.. (sometime today).

I can answer some of your questions. Note the following is theory-crafting. I'm still waiting for beta but i did test some stuff last beta.

I would think that wisdom is the most effective for a control build/action pt build etc. Although how useful 1% control bonus and control resist is... is up for debate.

Controlling Action is better. A 3% chance is still RNG at the end of the day. It wont make or break ur build if u get rid of it. Controlling Action though will give you a steady stream of action pts. It basically guarantees that you will get ur daily within 100 hits. 99% of the time it will be faster then though cuz of the actions pts u get for dealing damage/taking damage.

If the trend continues as we only go to test up to level 40 last time, the following should be the case:
    You get your first feat points at lvl 10.. you get 20 of the heroic feats then at lvl 30 you get paragon feats for every level beyond.

So you get 20 pts for the heroic feats and 30 for paragon feats. Although I've only been able to see up to lvl 40. Also keep in mind you have to spend 5 points in the lesser tiers to unlock the next tier. This applies to each tier for each paragon path as well.

Any other questions I'll be happy to answer.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    ... I am level 52 CW and I had no idea that tab ability was empowered.
    I thought spell mastery was what you get from stacks of "arcane mastery" given by magic missile :(

Wow am I slaying more things now. Remapped it to swap tab and Q hotkeys and set chill strike on the mastery (q) slot.

This NEEDS to be explained in game!
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow..My son just started a CW and glad I found this out. I just thought it was a slot. Whats the best lower lvl to put in there?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • linkon333linkon333 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The best encounter ability to put in tab slot aka spell mastery slot is Entangling Force it builds crazy amounts of AP. I only change it out to Repel in fights where I need to knock mobs off cliffs.
  • skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I read a post in the forums where someone switched the Mastery keybind to left click. I did the same and switched my second At Will (storm pillar simply to build AP between fights) to my middle mouse click.. Works like a charm!
  • carmenblakecarmenblake Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I put my shield thingy in the tab slot...
This discussion has been closed.