test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GPU Heat going ballistic with Neverwinter

2»

Comments

• mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Surprised there is no reply to this, is it really so few people having this issue?
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kirnenad wrote: »
    My graphic card died, while I played Neverwinter.... :P

Mine card (gfx 460) also died while playing NWO, it was just after all those Protectors Enclave invasion events. It was overheated...Now, when you mention this I believe it wasn't a coincidence and there is some kind of bad programming here. Bad job costing me 150$...

Now I'm running NWO together with a diagnostic program in the background, to keep an eye on the temperatures from time to time.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    if it wasn't a bug it should happen
    Of course it should happen, the GPU uses electricity to perform math and as a result produces waste heat.
    And the temperatures are perfectly normal.
    Also, unless there is a bug in your GPU's firmware then it will cap its own temperature in a perfectly safe value.
    before the latest patch i was around 75c and after that my gpu became a nuclear weapon
    NOW we are getting towards something that might ACTUALLY BE A BUG.

Possibilities:
    1. Something changed in your system, and is unrelated to the patch.
    2. They improved graphics so its more intensive
    3. They changed the default settings, you are now on a more intense setting
    4. A setting existed before that wasn't working, it has been corrected and now it is a more computationally intensive game
    5. A setting existed before that was working, now it doesn't. It is a setting used for saving GPU power.
    6. They goofed and caused some sort of resource wasting to occur which increases resource consumption.
    7. The ambient temperature in your house changed and now the GPU has a harder time cooling
    8. Your fans are clogged with dust and needs cleaning.

So, it might or might not be a bug in the game.

The problem is that the "bug report" here is just describing normal GPU operations; as well as accusing cryptic of damaging GPUs (something that is impossible unless your GPU is already defective)

Saying "the last patch caused a significant increase in GPU utilization without an increase in performance" is an actual bug.

And you know what, I think I have noticed my GPU going to 100% utilization on occasion (it gets LOUD) while playing NWN while at other times its comfortably quiet. I suspect it has to do with which zone I am at (rendering trees, water, snow, each have their own difficulty level that varies; so maybe what changed wasn't the patch but the fact you leveled up and moved to a new zone)
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    In the dungeon I ran last night 3 members noticed this issue, we all play together often and have never had heat issues however we all run 680 GTX 2gb or 4gb cards.

Our settings are all the same as before the patch. We all run at cap frame rate of 60 via settings.
    I clean my PC for dust every 2 weeks, other members a minimum of every 4 weeks.

Not sure what else to mention the one other party member running a 560 gtx noticed a distinct temperature increase. The other using ATI card didn't notice any temperature increases.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • nemethysnemethys Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Also have this problem, running GTX 260. Everything was fine before some last patches, but now GPU temp can raise up to 82 degrees, that's ridiculous.
  • calailencalailen Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I **** you not guys, 5 hours ago i was alerted to a lovely burning smell. This game literally fried my GPU, making a capacitor and board around it a lovely piece of charred mess and i was only on the bloody menu screen, i have to buy a new one tomorrow :mad:
  • leeb0tleeb0t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had my whole system overheating (Around the time of the Knight of the feywild-even in preview) My computer would randomly shut down and my graphics card CPU everything hot. I dusted out my computer took the heat sink of my CPU and took a paper towel and rubbed off the thermal paste and reapplied new thermal paste (just in case). How ever my issue was I have a mid size tower so I added another fan to help vent out the hot air. I added the fan a week later after the dusting and thermal paste and that has fixed my issue so far so good. My fans don't kick into overdrive and my computer is quiet again and running cool