test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sick of the people who play this game.

ravendireravendire Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey, so I have just reached level 60 with my GF. I've geared up pretty fast and I'm able to run most T2 dungeons. One thing I will say is that I feel BoE epics and buying from the AH is simply a bad idea, people like me are able to gear up and never have to do dungeons they do not like or usually cannot do in a PuG because I can just buy all the gear and not have to learn the game or my class. I feel that's the reason for such bad PuG's. If people had to gear up from killing epic bosses before they can move on to the next tier of content then we would see less of what I'm seeing now.

So what am I seeing?

-Leavers - People who spend all that time getting to the last boss and then leave from the first wipe. Nice attitude to have and also kind of pointless especially since you will have to spend 30+ minutes in a queue as DPS.

-Half arsed tacticians - People who only explain part of a boss and then expect you to pick the rest up as you go a long.

-General dribblers - People who stand in red circles.

-I know everything but will tell you nothing and then insult you for lack of experience - You know the guys, the one's who never type anything, when you ask the party for the tactics on a boss they stay quiet and then when a wipe happens they usually type a hugely egotistical comment before leaving. Could they be helpful in teaching new players how to kill a boss? Yes. Are they? Nope, never. Too busy stroking their epeen and constantly pressing C to look at their shiny epics.

Now I'm not saying that every PuG can be perfect and have the best players but from my experience with World of Warcraft, I found that if you needed GS to enter a dungeon and you had to grind that gear from certain dungeons, most players would develop into better players from doing that rather than jumping into harder content with no knowledge of their class.

I leveled this character because I wanted shorter dungeon queues but I can see now that I'm not going to enjoy PuG's at all because most of the people I have played with are all the same. Guess I'll have to wait for my guild to reach 60.
Post edited by ravendire on

Comments

• Options
    yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Maybe it's my luck but I meet mostly good players and people. Today on a new map I couldn't find a dungeon - there was a guy which guided me all the way to that location, invited me to a 5-man party and kept informing us about tactics on this particular boss. He was very helpful so as other guys. I can't say a bad word about it because I haven't seen such a coordination in a long time.

It's hard to count how many times I was healed by random people just passing by when I was fighting on low hp. They didn't have to help me but they did. (I'm not saying about random Cleric companion heals:) )

I know that people can be annoying but it's like in real life - there are jerks and friends. Try to make dungeons with people from your friends list.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most of the guys I have played with have been aces, we have a had a few WoW jerks screaming at people and using WoW attack terminology instead of neverwinter terminology...but they get kicked usually.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    theirishchicktheirishchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are you in a guild? Maybe that will help, I've been considering applying to one lately to see if that will help me enjoy the game more and give me the kick up the butt to actually want to play the darn thing :)
  • Options
    zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To the OP, welcome to the world of MMOs. Same thing every game.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ravendire wrote: »
    -Leavers - People who spend all that time getting to the last boss and then leave from the first wipe.
    -Half arsed tacticians - People who only explain part of a boss and then expect you to pick the rest up as you go a long.
    -General dribblers - People who stand in red circles.
    -I know everything but will tell you nothing and then insult you for lack of experience

You've just explained some people in EVERY single MMO. It's not just Neverwinter. Happens in everything from WoW to GW2. Just find better players to play with.

Quitters: people who leave on one wipe or who just leave part way through a dungeon. Happens all the time, mostly PUGs. Never guildies, as they'd get berated later. Sorry I didn't read every single word of your post, so I might have missed it, but do you play in a guild? If not, find one. :)

Half-explained bosses: happens all the time. Worst is the people who explain what the boss does but never tell you how to determine when they're going to do that. When I'm ever in a group doing end-game stuff and am leading the party I always break it down by the sequence. X happens first, does Y, and look for this when Z occurs, etc. I usually give a quick overview, then details, then a re-cap overview. Why? Because I also hate half-explanations that don't help for those who've never seen a particular boss battle.

Lazy/slow people: I can understand not having good reflexes or not knowing about something the first time, but for those people who never catch on that really annoys me too. Yes, please just sit there in the red circle longer. Yes, please sit in the DoT AoE that's killing you slowly. Worst was shouting at party members to move in games like SWTOR and GW2. I didn't want to shout too angrily, because they're guildies, but didn't want to be too soft since we'd wipe if they go down. Usually guildies I play with are pretty good in picking something up after only one mistake or so. It's those PUGers who never learn or never care.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Most of the guys I have played with have been aces, we have a had a few WoW jerks screaming at people and using WoW attack terminology instead of neverwinter terminology...but they get kicked usually.

Whats this (Wow Terminology) You speak of? From playing different Mmo's as well as Action Adventure/Rpg games I'm thinking a lot of the terminology is (Universal) in that it's used to represent pretty much anything related too those types of games. Kind of curious as to what you mean by that statement.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Are you in a guild? Maybe that will help, I've been considering applying to one lately to see if that will help me enjoy the game more and give me the kick up the butt to actually want to play the darn thing :)

Joining the (Right) guild will usually improve your gaming experience in an M.m.o by a lot. It makes everything you do in an M.m.o a lot easier, plus you get to meet new players who may turn out to be good friends in the end.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Whats this (Wow Terminology) You speak of? From playing different Mmo's as well as Action Adventure/Rpg games I'm thinking a lot of the terminology is (Universal) in that it's used to represent pretty much anything related too those types of games. Kind of curious as to what you mean by that statement.

NSFW thanks to audio, but video is SFW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPx6nbbwz8

Only stuff really common is DOTs, aggro, tank, healer, etc. regarding general MMO tactics.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    hellorcohellorco Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Why everyone thinks that gear IS the main objective? Gear is a tool so you can beat harder content. You aren't supposed to buy 200$ worth of AD and fully gear, you can simply buy those 1-2 (or even more) pieces you lack and that you didn't find after beating the same boss 5-6 times with no luck.

You also say "people like me are able to gear up and never have to do dungeons they do not like", lol are you demanding for a chore of endless farm because you have been unlucky with drops?

Also:
    Now I'm not saying that every PuG can be perfect and have the best players but from my experience with World of Warcraft, I found that if you needed GS to enter a dungeon and you had to grind that gear from certain dungeons, most players would develop into better players from doing that rather than jumping into harder content with no knowledge of their class.

I don't know how much, at what level and when you played wow, but my 7years experience there tells me it's just that an old game with established mechanics and plenty of information with 2 key roles (tank and healer) leaves space for another 3 players to just do basically nothing and end up beating the boss.

Also the philosophy from WotLK and later xpacks was that EVERYONE had to jump to last tier of content and you may forget that dungeons where just a small step in a bigger picture where there was lot of raid content for bigger groups. It has really nothing to do with this game, which is mostly skill based and not gear based. There only thing similar to a gear check in this game is last boss in SP in the last phase. The rest just takes more time to beat with lower gear, but is far from unbeatable.

Exploits overinflated the availability of best gear and the easiness to skip bosses, it's not how it is meant to be, but from some pov I'm pretty happy it reduced the tedious repetitive and unchallenging content you have to farm, and for no real reason since there isn't anything past CN to gear up for (excluding PVP which is pretty meh).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    NSFW thanks to audio, but video is SFW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPx6nbbwz8

Alright, when asking a question regarding a game I've played for (9 years in November) I don't need to be directed to an outdated Onyxia YouTube video. What I'm referring too is the statement about (Wow Terminology) being used in the Neverwinter game. The terminology for any M.m.o is pretty much (Universal) in what people use to describe events happening in the game. Such as words like, adds, focus, area of effect spells. My question is more on the line of what words or phrases do players bring over from World of Warcraft and apply to this game that would confuse people.
    Death_knight.jpg

~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Alright, when asking a question regarding a game I've played for (9 years in November) I don't need to be directed to an outdated Onyxia YouTube video.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    xpaladinhxpaladinh Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i'm a lvl 60 who hasn't managed to run any T2 for a couple of weeks now.

Usually i learn boss fights/dungeons by running it a couple of times...you know learn while dying and trying. But for T2 dungeon, it's like impossible since people quit whenever he/she dies or whatever.

I agree, noone bothers to explain boss fights. It's like Frozen heart dungeon. It took me many runs to realise the mobs were spawning infinitely (for some reason, noone seems to say it). And when I finally got that part and get in the next party, all this tanker in the party wanna do is skip the first boss.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Careful now, don't ruin the precious feeling of being in a special treehouse club of unimpeachable awesomeness by pointing out any universality or sloppy thinking. By questioning such kneejerkery, you're clearly "hating on" this gem amongst games.
  • Options
    hellorcohellorco Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    xpaladinh wrote: »
    i'm a lvl 60 who hasn't managed to run any T2 for a couple of weeks now.

Usually i learn boss fights/dungeons by running it a couple of times...you know learn while dying and trying. But for T2 dungeon, it's like impossible since people quit whenever he/she dies or whatever.

I agree, noone bothers to explain boss fights. It's like Frozen heart dungeon. It took me many runs to realise the mobs were spawning infinitely (for some reason, noone seems to say it). And when I finally got that part and get in the next party, all this tanker in the party wanna do is skip the first boss.

Well you seem to refer to random queue which will probably be fixed in about 6 months, not because it's bugged now, but because people got used to just leave or get kicked until you get a balanced group.

None bothers explaining boss fights because there aren't many boss-specific strats. Dodge red things on the ground, stay in blue circle and cc/throw adds or kite them.
    But in this game contrary to many other mmos where gear defines if you are good or not, you don't only need to know your role's duty, you also need to execute it properly which takes a bit more than 2-3 runs in some cases.

The problem is the steep change in difficulty where you can basically 3 man everything up to T2. Then you need a specific group comp to handle the fight and everyone needs to do his job. Probably the only class that can get by without doing much more than dodge the red zones is the rogue, and this only to some extent because they have the responsibility to stay alive the whole time or the rest of the group won't be able to deal with adds AND dps the boss.

So you are either very lucky or most T2s are impossible to beat solo-queuing, since experienced players tend to group up BEFORE queuing (and generally queuing in 5 so leaving no space for the randoms).
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hellorco wrote: »
    So you are either very lucky or most T2s are impossible to beat solo-queuing, since experienced players tend to group up BEFORE queuing (and generally queuing in 5 so leaving no space for the randoms).

I have done 3 out of 5 of the Tier 2 Dungeon that I have solo queued up for on my DC out of 12 or so attempts. To be fair if we hadn't had leavers the success ration would have been higher....
  • Options
    vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    HOLY SHEET who was that I get the, "YOU BLEEPING BLEEPS DON'T KNOW BLEEP ABOUT FIGHTING BOSSES, you bleeeeeeeep." well you get the point never nice or helpful just rude punk kids who need a butt whooping.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hellorco wrote: »
    Why everyone thinks that gear IS the main objective? Gear is a tool so you can beat harder content. You aren't supposed to buy 200$ worth of AD and fully gear, you can simply buy those 1-2 (or even more) pieces you lack and that you didn't find after beating the same boss 5-6 times with no luck.

You also say "people like me are able to gear up and never have to do dungeons they do not like", lol are you demanding for a chore of endless farm because you have been unlucky with drops?

Also:

I don't know how much, at what level and when you played wow, but my 7years experience there tells me it's just that an old game with established mechanics and plenty of information with 2 key roles (tank and healer) leaves space for another 3 players to just do basically nothing and end up beating the boss.

Also the philosophy from WotLK and later xpacks was that EVERYONE had to jump to last tier of content and you may forget that dungeons where just a small step in a bigger picture where there was lot of raid content for bigger groups. It has really nothing to do with this game, which is mostly skill based and not gear based. There only thing similar to a gear check in this game is last boss in SP in the last phase. The rest just takes more time to beat with lower gear, but is far from unbeatable.

Exploits overinflated the availability of best gear and the easiness to skip bosses, it's not how it is meant to be, but from some pov I'm pretty happy it reduced the tedious repetitive and unchallenging content you have to farm, and for no real reason since there isn't anything past CN to gear up for (excluding PVP which is pretty meh).

Yes, in a way. What I am saying is that there should be gear progression and that means getting gear from T1 dungeons before moving on to T2. T1 should teach people what they need for T2 but the way it is now, queuing for T1 takes twice as long as it does for T2 because no one wants to do the grind and learn their class. They would rather buy the gear from the AH, jump into T2 content because it has better gear as rewards. T1 can basically be skipped because the cost of gear on the AH is so low that you can get 8200 with very little AD spent. If gear was BoP it would actually make people play the game rather than just buying their way to victory. Not only that I find buying gear to be much less fulfilling than actually earning it, I don't mind doing the grind, that is what MMO's are about.
  • Options
    dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zentucknor wrote: »
    To the OP, welcome to the world of MMOs. Same thing every game.

amen , very true and its getting worse imo
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Eat or be eaten. If you're not telling someone how bad they play they'll eventually be telling you..so..beat them to it.:D
  • Options
    kananthkananth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you wish to keep your current guild, select 1 or 2 names in each PUG that do not suck and add them to your friends list. After a week or so you should have a pool large enough to send some whispers and make your own group without a PUG.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    But seriously, I think PWE has a lot to learn from Blizzard. They are number 1 for a reason. Leavers from both dungeons and PvP should get a debuff stopping them joining another queue until a certain time has expired. Sadly, having played a DPS class I know that it would have to be a pretty long debuff to even make it a punishment because the queues are terribly long as it is. Or you could even have a leaver % for example like they have in HoN/LoL and people can select an option to not queue with people over a certain % of leaves. Just throwing some idea's around because I have done over 6 dungeons today and out of all of them I finished 1. You can't invite guild members to your party either, which means if someone leaves, it's basically over and time wasted.

Furthermore, T1 and T2 should have the "daily epic" in which you join a queue and get placed in a random dungeon, although it would require fine tuning because some T1/T2 dungeons are much harder than others. This should also apply to the daily for dungeons, completing it would award AD rather than it being a dungeon specific quest.

Queues would move a lot faster, one of the reasons I rolled GF is because the queues on my CW were too long, I could only sit in the Protectors Enclave for an hour, bored out of my skull waiting for a dungeon to pop and when it did, same problem.

That's a good idea, Kananth, I'll give that a try.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

So you can't explain it, then? Well, thanks for that incredibly useful and informative post!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    So you can't explain it, then? Well, thanks for that incredibly useful and informative post!

Not my argument to explain. Chrono was referring to stormdragon's comment of WoW terminology. Then I linked a video of WoW grouping rage and chrono got all grumpy about it. Big deal.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with all of OP's post, except for this part:
    ravendire wrote: »

It is not the responsibility of other players to teach you how to kill bosses, if you want to know the relevant tactics for a boss then you should prepare beforehand by watching a youtube video or reading a guide. I respect those who try to share tactics before a boss, because at the very least it shows they care about killing it, and it's not like they even had to say anything.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not my argument to explain. Chrono was referring to stormdragon's comment of WoW terminology. Then I linked a video of WoW grouping rage and chrono got all grumpy about it. Big deal.

If you have no intention of explaining anything, then why throw yourself into it in the first place? I don't follow your bizarre logic.