test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Shard

thantuthantu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
We need one.

Say, anyone not in your group outside of Protector's within 6 levels is fair game?
Post edited by thantu on

Comments

• incepti0incepti0 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    agreed also make a separate 20 man pvp 10v10 que and add 4v4 or 3v3 or 1v1 que, add smaller maps for the 5v5 down to 1v1 and bigger maps and more nodes to capture for the 5v5 and 10v10 and give out grym coins or epic T1 gear for rewards so at least i can pvp my brains out and still use the salvage forge cause the dungeon que system blows unless u have your main group on to do dungeons
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In a word. No.

Open world PvP doesn't work here, doesn't fit the milieu. Separate shards aren't going to happen since the intent is to merge them all into one at some point.

Game mechanics simply don't lend themselves to open world pvp, especially since all the zones have a single choke-point entry way. See Ultima Online, The Siege of Trinsic.

The major re-engineering for this would be tremendous, and the audience far too small, to be worthwhile developing.
  • idunazidunaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited June 2013
    I'd rather just see a large ffa pvp zone added. Give it some simple objectives along with it's own currency type that you get from killing players and doing objectives. That would be fun.
  • sh4dowrunn3rsh4dowrunn3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since game is all instanced this can easily be implemented by having two types of instances pve/pvp and people just choose in options if you want pvp or not. But because it's instanced and so limited to a few people in each instance it just can't be much fun imo.
  • cakeyeahcakeyeah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd rather have new 5v5 maps and a 20v20 map that didn't lend itself to mindless zerging please. Open world pvp always degenerates into unevenly matched ganking. I know it, you know it, we all know it.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    All shards should be PvP. I don't know why there needs to be PvE shards separate from PvP shards in any MMO. Its simple its just part of the game. Having just one shard with PvP outside of town would be epic. indeed. This game would get a HUGE draw in players wanting to PK players and pvp all the time.
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since game is all instanced this can easily be implemented by having two types of instances pve/pvp and people just choose in options if you want pvp or not. But because it's instanced and so limited to a few people in each instance it just can't be much fun imo.

Right. So, let's say a group of PvP folks want to set an ambush in the tower district. They go to that instance and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...

Meanwhile in the other instance of the tower district, there's another group ready to do an ambush, who also wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...

There would be no point, since if you get ganked the moment you zone in and before you can react, all you can do is res at the altar, and get ganked again.

Asking for a PvP shard is going to be about as fruitful as asking for an RP shard (which would b my preference). The audience simply isn't large enough to warrant the costs. It would be like asking Led Zeppelin to get back together for ONE concert at your local pub.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    OP,

What the hell are you smoking? For open world PvP to be workable, you need a proper open world setup, not a bunch of pretty but claustrophobic corridors. There is no real geography in this game, just a bunch of instances and fast travel. Full time PvP would be horrible and annoying here, rather than joyful the way it is in a proper open world game.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    "Why is the entire zone carpeted with dead clerics?"

"....oh right."
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This will never happen. Not unless Cryptic underwent a MASSIVE change in direction in the way the do PvP. The game isn't designed for open PvP, NO Cryptic game is that I'm aware of. If you're looking for an open world PvP experience, then quite frankly, Neverwinter is not the game for you. I don't say that to me nasty or to flame you, I just simply mean if that's the main thing about MMOs that you look for, then Neverwinter isn't the game for you because it is not designed to deliver that sort of thing. Is it possible Cryptic will change direction at some point? Sure. But I consider it highly highly unlikely, and in any event, not anytime soon.
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't think their system can even handle it because the game is so instanced and more like a Co-op game less of a true MMO. How about just make rankings with arena 5v5 with various modes and guild vs guild battlegrounds etc instead. Shard thing will never happen.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    That said, some biggish instanced battlegrounds would be nice.. I haven't had a chance to see GG, even in its broken state yet, but I would love to see something like Alterac Valley (for people who remember that in WoW)- a nice sprawling map with carefully placed choke points and places to hid, and objectives to get cross about. With this game's art style, it could be pretty impressive.
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The funny part is what makes this game have potential is the Combat and future classes/paragon possibilities. They could draw in an even bigger playerbase by also focusing more on the PvP potential of this game. However, it's a DnD game with a PVE core at its heart, so they probably won't do more then little PvP mini-games. Too bad if that's the case.
  • cakeyeahcakeyeah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    That said, some biggish instanced battlegrounds would be nice.. I haven't had a chance to see GG, even in its broken state yet, but I would love to see something like Alterac Valley (for people who remember that in WoW)- a nice sprawling map with carefully placed choke points and places to hid, and objectives to get cross about. With this game's art style, it could be pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, after some changes to how the battleground worked, AV became a zerg rush where you sent all your rogues north while everyone else capped as they rode up. This second version of AV (which, again unfortunately, is the one most people are familiar with) is not a good example of large scale PvP on an open map. As much as it pains me to say this, WAR actually managed to get their RvR maps and objectives right (as long as you didn't stand in the BW aoe spam covering 75% of the map at any one time)