test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The control freak - Wizard PVE guide

lemandallemandal Member Posts: 61
edited July 2013 in The Library
This guide covers endgame pve (dungeons) for wizards. It does not cover solo or pvp.

Gameplay
The idea behind this gameplay is to position mobs where you want them, when you want it. And of course, to keep your teammates unscratched at all times.
This is not the only way possible to play a wizard. Check other guides, decide what you like and make your own way.

Controlling trash mobs
Trash mobs are every mobs between you and the bosses. You want to quill them quickly and efficiently.
Rogues have a small cleave on Dazing strike (3 targets) and Wicked reminder (no max targets !). Fighters can cleave. Melee classes can kill mobs very quickly if they are gathered and stunned, your role is to ensure they do.
Gather trash, stun them, freeze them and watch your teammates cleave through them. Don't let it get messy !

Rotation :
If daily is up :
- Arcane singularity
- Icy terrain (under singularity)
- Entangling force (mastery) [Choke]
- Steal time

If daily is not up :
- Entangling force (mastery)
- Icy terrain
- Steal time
- Conduit of ice
- Arcane singularity whenever possible

At this point mobs are stunned then frozen, and will quickly meet their dead. Cast choke, icy terrain and conduit whenever you have cooldown, and use Steal Time when mobs are trying to escape your grip. Don't let the fight get messy ! Mobs separated from each others mean a great loss in overall dps. Cast Singularity whenever it is the case - but try to have half your ap bar for next fight.
When you have nothing to do, chilling cloud will help freeze mobs. Or chill around and enjoy landscape !

Fourth power will often be Shield. Shield is your ultimate defense, not as much for the damage reduction (it only reduces first 2 hits significantly), but for the pulse - instant push an unlimited number of targets. Each target grants ap too.
Don't use it as an offense tool, or to get back ap ! Even during singularity, your teammates will miss their powers when you pulse - wasting a lot of dps.
It's not needed on trash as a defense tool, but it's also our main tool to push mobs so it's always handy to have at the ready.

Pushing trash mobs
Most tier 2 dungeons (gs 8300+) have holes, cliffs, ledges or other death traps where you can push mobs. Be aware of your surroundings and learn where you can push mobs. Some places can be cleaned in a matter of seconds by running to a death trap, casting Singularity next to it and pushing the mobs to their death with Shield pulse.
Castle never is another story. Up to the second boss, there are few places where you can push mobs. Then the dungeon becomes your playing ground : every single mob can be pushed to his death.
There are fences though, almost everywhere. Either pull mobs to the sides to push them, or pull them up with Singularity and push them right as it explodes. Learn the timing, you will need to master this move for last boss. But if it is your first time, you should run with an experienced wizard. Be aware that there are invisible walls in some places (like 3rd boss).

To push or not to push
Because you can doesn't mean you have to push every single mob ! Some of them even respawn if you do. Good pushes will shorten a run, but if a mob get stuck somewhere it will actually take longer to kill it. Someone could also die before you push the mobs. It is up to your judgement, your party and your confidence in your ability to succeed.

Controlling adds
Adds are the mobs summoned by bosses. Control them while the rest of the team tear the boss apart.
Regular rotation
Treat adds like trash mobs, there are just more of them. If shield is not needed, use Ray of enfeeblement [Ray] on boss instead.
Alternatively, kill them like they were trash (which they are) but it's longer than focusing boss.

Endgame bosses
If you know of other strategies, feel free to suggest them.

Temple of the Spider
Blademaster are dangerous... when they charge. Their auto attack is slow and avoidable, but their charge is instant and stuns. So don't push them ! Use the regular setup until boss begins to make them explode. At this point, all you have to do is Shield pulse whenever she heals (look for the shiny trails between her and mobs) to allow your dps to stay on her, and debuff boss with Ray. You can use repel too for this phase.
If you die in phase 2, you don't have to go through phase 1 again, so you can switch your powers for next try.

Frozen heart
You can't control the golems, but you can kill the annoying archers while the cleric runs. Do not use any aoe to avoid aggro from mobs.
Icy rays (mastery), Ray, Conduit and Chill strike is the only setup I could come up with. Storm spell and Arcane presence for class features, Ice knife for daily.
Killing the archers is the priority, then debuffing boss. Conduit will aggro the archers hiding under the boss.
If you have an enchant, Icy ray will proc it on every mob. Every single one of them ! Use it with care.

Spellplague
Perfect place for a wizard, but the minions are immune to cc if too close to the boss. The big mobs can push you in the plague fire but are never immune.
Repel (mastery), Steal time, Ray, Shield.
Position yourself near the edge, just in range of Ray. Your cleric should be beside you, just outside of the boss' buff. Push mobs with pulse or repel. Singularity when there are many of them (usually at the end / start of each phase).
Watch your melees, and snipe any big mob coming for them with Repel or Magic missile to aggro.

Dread vault
Hey this time we don't debuff boss ! But I have yet to determine the best setup for this boss.
Repel (mastery) or Choke (mastery), Icy terrain or Repel, Shield, Steal time.
Go near the edge at the other side of the room, a bit on the left. Stand on the cube and put Icy terrain : mindflayers will teleport on you or the cleric and you can then push them into the void. There is an opening between the cubes near, use it to push the mobs who didnt jump on you. You are safe from tentacles, and the big area on whole room does not affect you on the cube.
The real danger are the Hulks. Your melees should come back to you before they spawn so that you dont aggro them, but in case they do aggro cc them at all costs and push them as soon as possible.
At 66 and 33% an illusionary boss appears, push or cc adds. The boss is random so... be ready for anything.

Castle Never
Here you have to push the adds above the fence. Choke, Shield, Icy terrain and Steal time will be your friends.
At start, cast Icy terrain under boss and go to the other side of the room. Cast singularity when second wave appears, choke while they are sucked in to and push mobs. Never stand next to your singularity before pushing ! You don't want any aoe where you have to be to push. This means put it away from teammates as well, if possible. Repeat until Red wizards appear.
One of your teammate should bring the wizards close enough for singularity. Go the nearest red wizard and cast it there. Your party should follow so that mobs are sucked into it. Choke the wizard if possible. Try to avoid the dragon's back as well, his tail hurts.
At some point boss will summon hands (red circles like in Gray wolf dens), in front of him then everywhere. Singularity will pull them, and pulse will push them ! This means they can be moved on you, but you can also pulse them to protect/res a teammate.
If you fail a push (and you will !), don't recast Singularity yet. Be sure to be able to push them when it explodes, or you will be in a very dire situation.

The other strategy is to use Repel mastery to push mobs against the outer wall, where they stay stucked. Use shield and repel on as many mobs as possible to gain ap. If you have a guardian, Into the fray can help. Clerics can push mobs too, if they can spare the divine power. But after a point, just stay away from stuck wizards and you'll be safe.
Repel is a great tool to interrupt or reposition red wizards too.

General tips
Use your teleport anytime you're focused - don't wait to be swarmed ! You can dodge pretty much anything, from red circles to auto-attacks - even missiles. When mobs are coming for you, standing still is dying. You have three of them, so you can use at least one to reposition yourself between spells. After Singularity it is a good idea to teleport out so that mobs struggle to follow you, then back in to cast your close range spells. But keep at least one for red circles, always.

Watch your party ! Even if you're safe, it doesn't mean your party is. Don't burn all your cooldowns, keep something for emergencies - like Shield, or Steal time.

Adapt to the party and situation, wizard is a very versatile class.

Action points
You gain action points by casting powers. Every power has a base action point gain, to which you add wisdom, recovery and feats. Some spells yield ap for each target hit (choke, repel, shield). At-wills grant ap on each shot.

Gear and feats
Actually, the important part of the guide is already said. As long as you have some wisdom and around 3k recovery, you will already handle most trash packs.
It really depends on your gameplay and liking.

Epic sets
List of wizard sets
There are a lot of good options when it comes to wizard's set. You may even want to pick two or more and switch depending of the party / boss.

Archmage
Control encounters are : Entangling force, Icy terrain, Shield, Steal time (and this spell is worth 6 seconds of your time !), Repel, Chill strike.
This set allows to throw spells at an insane rate, which makes up for his stats (still high recovery, which is not bad). In fact this bonus is so good that it is wasted if you don't do crazy stuff.
This is an option for a new wizard who wants a cheap and efficient set.

Focal magi
Control powers are : Entangling force, Icy terrain, Shield, Steal time, Repel, Chill strike (only on main target).
Each target hit grants 1 stack of the aura (225 power and recovery) around it. The limit of stacks is 1/target.
This means at least 1000 and up to 3000 bonus power & recovery to your party. Most party member will already be at soft cap for recovery, but 1k is still worth 3%. Power has no diminishing returns and everyone use it, but returns are pretty bad from the start. Provided enough mobs, the high values will still provide a significant buff. High vizier and Shadow weaver are definitely better in the same role, but this set is also definitely cheaper.
No wasted stats on the set.

High vizier
High vizier's buff and debuff stack up to 3 times. Offense and defense in one set. I don't need to praise High vizier, check other threads for it.
The value of the set is the debuff mostly as the set bonus only makes up for the lack of stats. In the end, Focal magi loses 573 recovery and 907 for 1548 critical against High vizier with 3 stacks.

Shadow weaver
Your party (even your cleric !) probably likes the crit severity, but this setup is not ideal to stack it. I don't have the set so I don't know.

Gladiator (and Gauntglrym set)
Very good stats, good set bonus (cd reduction on Choke !).

Powers and feats

Thoughts on some feats
Controlling action
Gives you 10% more ap (e.g. 33% instead of 30%) from spells hitting a target affected by a control power. Icy terrain, entangling force, Steal time and Arcane singularity count as control (for the entire duration !) and probably more spells I didnt test. You only have to hit one controlled target with your spell to benefit from the feat, so suffice to say this is +10% ap all the time.
It doesn't seem to affect shield's ap gain at all tho.
Lightning teleport
Pushing to death count as killing. In draco, this means full stamina bar every successful push - and still a part of it if you fail. It is not needed in any way, but it helps.
Wizard's wrath and Focused wizardry
Affects Steal time, Chill strike (mastery), Shield
Learned spellcaster
Best damage increase in heroic feats : 5% multiplicative with int on all spells
Severe reaction
It does not push a lot, but mobs will be briefly disoriented afterwards. It is far from awesome, but still useful.
Alacrity
Again, pushing count as a kill. This is like archmage set, if you go for it it is up to you to make the most out of it.
Assailing force & Elemental empowerement
Huge damage increase for party, see below for numbers.
Critical power
This can proc multiple times on the same spell before going on cooldown (ex 3 criticals on a spell will give 15% ap). Choke either crits or doesn't, which means that if you do and the feat is out of cooldown, it will net you 5% ap per target (30% most of the time). It can proc out of Icy terrain, even though it doesnt crit. In fact it can proc out of anything, including Shield recast.
Nightmare wizardry
Very good debuff but also dangerous : it procs on yourself too.

Powers

Chill strike
Useful to quickly kill minions (like imps or ashen zombies). Chill stacks don't hurt either.
Ice storm
The knockback can be useful sometimes, but only hits a small number of targets
Oppressive force
Good stun with no max targets, making it useful in some situations
Storm pillar
Useful to generate ap outside of fights
Tips and values

Mitigation reduction
Mitigation reduction is a flat damage increase, it cannot be reduced in any way I know. In fact it has good returns if you stack it :

Elemental empowerement (arcane) = +10%
Assailing force (Conduit) = +15%
Adds up to : Chill Strike deals 6847 (5954) Cold to Target Dummy => +26.5%
1.265 = 1.1 * (1.15)
Plague fire 3 stacks = 6% (I don't have greater)
Adds up to : Chill Strike deals 4682 (3509) Cold to Target Dummy => +33.43%
1.334 = (1.1 + 0.06) * (1.15)
With Ray (+15%), it adds up to 9636 (6390) => +50.79%
1.508 = (1.1 + 0.06) * (1.15 + 0.15)

Elemental empowerement is added to plague fire, Ray is added to Conduit, then they stack multiplicatively.
Wicked reminder (rogue power) is added to ray and conduit (to be confirmed), adding to (with greater plague fire) : 1.785 = (1.1 + 0.09) * (1.15 + 0.15 + 0.2)
Most trash mobs will have wicked reminder and conduit, for +60% damage (not 100% uptime though).
1.6065 = (1.1 + 0.09) * (1.15 + 0.2)

A note on Ray of enfeeblement
The charge mechanism does not include wisdom or recovery (not sure about feats). Each charge will take 14 sec to charge no matter your stats. So double ray give +30% damage every 28 seconds (14 sec / charge).
Normal Ray (non mastery) has 8.6 sec cooldown.
I don't know exact duration but it's less than 8 seconds.
Double ray may be good in pvp where fights are spaced out, but in pve it's a trap !

That's all for now, I hope it helped some fellow wizards ! Feel free to question or comment.
I am not french so if a point is not clear, please ask and I will try to clarify.
Post edited by lemandal on

Comments

• healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lemandal wrote: »
    What to do in dungeons
    Gather trash, stun them and/or freeze them, debuff them and watch your teammates cleave through them.
    On bosses, intercept or gather mobs that would threaten your melees. Protect your cleric. Push mobs in the holes. Adapt your spells to the situation and to your party !

But first of all, have fun ! :)

What if there are no holes available? Only ledges? D:< lol
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I was intrigued until I read critical strike rating...
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • zierzozierzo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Controlling action always seemed to me like a decent option for the critical builds that neglect wisdom to favor int ... but the tooltip cooldown (every 10s) is not encouraging. Is the tooltip right, or it procs more often?

Thanks you
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    What if there are no holes available? Only ledges? D:< lol

Tell the GWF to bend over and spread their legs.
  • lemandallemandal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    zierzo wrote: »
    Controlling action always seemed to me like a decent option for the critical builds that neglect wisdom to favor int ... but the tooltip cooldown (every 10s) is not encouraging. Is the tooltip right, or it procs more often?

Thanks you

The tooltip is right, but it does proc more often. It may be a bug, but here is an example :
    Cast shield pulse on 3 dummies.
    If I did no critical strike, ap gain = 14%
    If 1 critica strike, ap gain = 19%
    If 2 critical strikes, ap gain = 24%
    And so on. Then for 10 seconds it will go on cooldown and not proc again.

On single targets it's barely useful but with aoes it can net you a good chunk of your bar.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't like this build not even one bit . Maybe the feats are "so-so" but can be made way better .
    edited July 2013
    Updated with complete pve guide and more info on build/feats
  • theisingguytheisingguy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    Can you explain why you have Icy Rays on Spell mastery?
    edited July 2013
    I needed a single target spell, because I don't want to aggro mobs there.
    The only other option in tab is Ray of enfeeblement, but the charge mechanism doesn't include wisdom or recovery in its cooldown, decreasing uptime compared to normal ray (non mastery).
  • exarkun007exarkun007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 113 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Icy Rays in mastery procs my lesser plaguefire on everything I can see, so not particarly useful for what you are saying. Once I finish this greater lightning and drop it in the gg orb, I plan on purchasing a second for vorpal. Not every combination of gear is best in every situation. This is why I also carry the HV and SW set with me and swap as needed.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the warning ! I recently bought the enchant I would have been surprised next FH run... So how do you do it ?
    edited July 2013
    It's not so bad in FH, the adds pop slow enough that with a quick bit of kiting the DC pulls off me. I just wanted to point out that the proc has a HUGE range with icy rays on tab.
    edited July 2013
    Tabbed or not doesnt seem to affect the behavior. This range is really huge haha thanks !
    This could have fun applications, like pulling a lot of mobs on purpose or maybe tanking stuff (with greater lightning you would aggro a lot !). Applying plague fire to everything is fun anyway ! Does it grant SW stacks ? Does it apply HV ?
    edited July 2013
    I can check after I finish up this overnight shift. Easy enough since I carry both around :)

I'm actually a little worried about the lightning enchant pulling unwanted groups!
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    well ice rays is our highest single target damage spell (tabbed). though it has a lengthy cooldown. For my single target i use ice rays, conduit,ray, chillstrike.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".