test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Female cleric in opening scene?

belgrimdemannabelgrimdemanna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Does she have a name? Sgt Knox just calls her "Cleric." Come to think of it, does the female rogue have a name too?
Makos is the tiefling wizard, correct?

Thank you.
Post edited by belgrimdemanna on

Comments

• realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think her name is Jessie Rogers.
    Admiralsig.png
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    IIRC, the DC's name is Clara. Or was that Claire. I don't remember clearly but I remember hearing it in the cinematic itself.
  • h2orattyh2oratty Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does she have a name? Sgt Knox just calls her "Cleric." Come to think of it, does the female rogue have a name too?

Thank you.

I oversaw the creative on the 3 part CG series.

The rogue is Xuna
    The cleric is Celeste
    The Scourge Warlock is Makos
    and our ole pal Knox
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    h2oratty wrote: »

The rogue is Xuna
    The cleric is Celeste
    and our ole pal Knox

I hope we actually see them in game at some point....very cool and memorable characters.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • h2orattyh2oratty Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hope we actually see them in game at some point....very cool and memorable characters.

Thanks Storm,

The art team has actually made in game versions of them and they appear in some of our trailers - so you just might see them pop up in game at some point.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Well, Knox (everyone knows Knox) and Mako (tutorial, collecting the arrows he's at the dracolich corpse and he was there for the Valindra invasion) have already shown up. I imagine Xuna and Celeste will show up in due course. Xuna's backstory is really lovely. From the CG series she looks to be half elf.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Well, Knox (everyone knows Knox) and Mako (tutorial, collecting the arrows he's at the dracolich corpse and he was there for the Valindra invasion) have already shown up. I imagine Xuna and Celeste will show up in due course. Xuna's backstory is really lovely. From the CG series she looks to be half elf.

Yep know that was speaking more about doing missions with them like we did with Knox, I thought that was an awesome thing that all the NPC's you did missions for up to a point gathered together to take out the monster in the end.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »

Correct on Xuna's racial background - I changed her from originally being a Drow to a half elf to build up her back story and wanted a tragic family death/event to happen to spur her life long goal of revenge and justice. It is something both Plastic Wax (the CG production house) and I were pushing for and I think we definitely got our viewers invested in her in under 2 minutes which is always a challenge. Trailer 2 is by far my favorite of the series.

If you watch trailer 2 closely her father is human and her mother is an elf.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Correct on Xuna's racial background - I changed her from originally being a Drow to a half elf to build up her back story and wanted a tragic family death/event to happen to spur her life long goal of revenge and justice. It is something both Plastic Wax (the CG production house) and I were pushing for and I think we definitely got our viewers invested in her in under 2 minutes which is always a challenge. Trailer 2 is by far my favorite of the series.

Yes, I had to rewind that bit where they are fleeing the house because my brain was all "Hey, her dad has round ears". You guys/gals did a wonderful job on the trailer and artwork. Please pass on my regards.
  • belgrimdemannabelgrimdemanna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks, everyone for the responses. I just had to know. :) Hope they do show up in the game soon.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The coolest part about the rogue in the trailer is that it shows her acting very much like an ingame rogue apart from the whole grabbing other weapons thing.
  • stubbedtoesstubbedtoes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    Her voice, it reminds me of Elanee from NWN2. I swear I hear other voices from NWN2 also, such as the human female quest giver in Blacklake(she gives human only quests), who to me sounds like Torio Claven. Seven Toes in Blackdagger ruins sounds like Lorne Starling. A dwarf in the Tower district sounds like Jaroo from NWN. I love hearing voices from the past in newer games.
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it was a mistake for Cryptic to pull the backstory development out of the final, full launch trailer, which plays in the game. When I saw that Xuna's origin had been cut, I wanted to shake whoever made the decision. People just coming in with the game's launch will never understand the meaning behind that final second or two when Xuna stares into the eyes of her parents' killer, and then cuts him down right before the curtain falls on the scene. That was one of the most epic moments I've seen in a game trailer ever, but without the origin story, it loses its punch.

If you didn't put the whole thing in the game because of timing/pacing, I understand that. But the full CGI trailer should be made prominently available on the website.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Thank you.

The rogue is Xuna
    The cleric is Celeste
    and our ole pal Knox

Hmm, I did not realize that the GWF was Sgt Knox. He looks a little different in game than in the trailer. Makos you definitely find in game unless you don't talk to the Teilfing<sp> next to the dracolich. Would love to meet Xuna but as for Celeste, one cleric is as good as another.
    edited June 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    Hmm, I did not realize that the GWF was Sgt Knox. He looks a little different in game than in the trailer. Makos you definitely find in game unless you don't talk to the Tiefling<sp> next to the dracolich. Would love to meet Xuna but as for Celeste, one cleric is as good as another.
    Oh, how I wish this was true. So many sub-par clerics in PUGs.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013

I noticed the father was a Human but I never saw the mother. I'll have to look at that more closely in the future.

You definitely nailed the backstory, though. Although, some quests involving her and the rest of that party would bring a great added sense of immersion to it. ;)

Any chance of any more CG in the future?
    edited June 2013
    I noticed the father was a Human but I never saw the mother. I'll have to look at that more closely in the future.

You definitely nailed the backstory, though. Although, some quests involving her and the rest of that party would bring a great added sense of immersion to it. ;)

Here: http://youtu.be/eGUYhNlPa48?t=16s

The human guy is her father, pointy ears is her mother. :)
  • zjesminzzjesminz Member Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I just don't like Dorothea Linksletter. haahaa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The full 5 minute version is here with the complete back story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZq8B2xYeg

As for Sergeant Knox - I really loved that Cryptic went Afro-American with him until I realized it's just grit and grime. :\ Oh well, an awesome video just the same.

(This may be the video the OP is referring to, I don't know. I found this thread by accident, so posting the link for anyone else like me who may be foggy about the "back story" element of the discussion)
  • drclawisdeaddrclawisdead Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was an odd choice for them to trim the CG. D&D is all about story. Why remove some of it?

Especially when it's the intro to your game and doesn't affect anything in game.
    edited June 2013

Always a chance Ambisinisterr but personally I would rather see us invest in more in game animations, better cut scenes (all mini boss cutscenes could use a unique animation pass with some sort of audio taunt), and more emotes for players. Heck even boss fights could be much more cinematic if we removed alot of the adds and gave the bosses more unique powers/stages that really had to be avoided (for example a huge ice elemental boss could have a frost breath cone attack -besides basic hard hitting melee attacks - that if it hit you it would freeze you in place and place a dot on you - which will kill you unless a party member came over in time and attacked the ice that encased you) - then in stage 2 he would have some other trick up his sleeve but a cut scene would fire off showing his transition into stage 2 - perhaps he splitters into 3 versions of himself like a russian doll and one version of himself is more prone to being damaged which switches back and forth between the clones - anyways you get the point.
    edited June 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    I think it was a mistake for Cryptic to pull the backstory development out of the final, full launch trailer, which plays in the game. When I saw that Xuna's origin had been cut, I wanted to shake whoever made the decision. People just coming in with the game's launch will never understand the meaning behind that final second or two when Xuna stares into the eyes of her parents' killer, and then cuts him down right before the curtain falls on the scene. That was one of the most epic moments I've seen in a game trailer ever, but without the origin story, it loses its punch.

If you didn't put the whole thing in the game because of timing/pacing, I understand that. But the full CGI trailer should be made prominently available on the website.

For what it is worth I agree with you (and tried to get us to keep it in) but we had a target size for the initial download/client and had to trim the intro movie down to hit our mark. I am glad you enjoy the full version 3 part series - and were able to feel for Xuna - it was my goal to bring the viewer into the video and feel like they were there with her, by her side as she sought out her revenge.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I honestly had no idea there was a separate trailer other than the main one, until I read this thread.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For what it is worth I agree with you (and tried to get us to keep it in) but we had a target size for the initial download/client and had to trim the intro movie down to hit our mark. I am glad you enjoy the full version 3 part series - and were able to feel for Xuna - it was my goal to bring the viewer into the video and feel like they were there with her, by her side as she sought out her revenge.

Here's where Cryptic makes their mistake with regard to the intro movie in-game: it's played TOO EARLY.

I've been in every closed beta and alpha, too - then at open beta when the movie was finally "introduced" in-game, it was interesting but there was a real disconnect: I chose to create a new character: movie plays->commence creating character->play tutorial.

Then *problem* with this is that by the time I met a couple of the movie characters in the tutorial I didn't realize they were characters from the intro movie *at* *all*. It just didn't click. By the time I am working my way through the tutorial the movie is long forgotten.

As a professional stage and movie producer, if I were "directing" things, I'd have the player choose to create their new character->create the character->name the character->THEN play the movie->THEN go into the tutorial.

THIS way the whole idea of a Dracolich sinking my boat now has a connect; seeing the Tiefling Wizard at the dead Dracolich now makes sense - there is now a connect because the "story" *starts* with the video.

As it is now, the video plays, then you create your character then the story starts. It makes the intro video irrelevant by the time the players' story starts (which happens AFTER they have actually created their character).
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Really??
    How long did you take to create a character??
    The intro movie is irrelevant anyways. Many players esc out of it.
  • healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    Always a chance Ambisinisterr but personally I would rather see us invest in more in game animations, better cut scenes (all mini boss cutscenes could use a unique animation pass with some sort of audio taunt), and more emotes for players. Heck even boss fights could be much more cinematic if we removed alot of the adds and gave the bosses more unique powers/stages that really had to be avoided (for example a huge ice elemental boss could have a frost breath cone attack -besides basic hard hitting melee attacks - that if it hit you it would freeze you in place and place a dot on you - which will kill you unless a party member came over in time and attacked the ice that encased you) - then in stage 2 he would have some other trick up his sleeve but a cut scene would fire off showing his transition into stage 2 - perhaps he splitters into 3 versions of himself like a russian doll and one version of himself is more prone to being damaged which switches back and forth between the clones - anyways you get the point.

My hero. This guy is.
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Really??
    How long did you take to create a character??
    The intro movie is irrelevant anyways. Many players esc out of it.

It takes me about an hour to create a character - then I end up deleting it and rerolling no less then three times.

I generally try to have a level 1 character for a week or two so I have time to get used to the look of the character; if during that time I find anything I dislike about it I will delete and recreate it.
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Indeed, there's a reason why Fire Giants are more terrifying than the majority of the bosses I've encountered. If we're going to have an action game with RPG elements, it would be pretty awesome to have bosses feel like actual legendary beings, rather than being some minion master with 2 or 3 moves so you don't worry too much about the boss while DPSing the adds down.

Sadly, this is easier captured in the big bad monsters that serve the boss, not the boss itself. Best boss I ever fought and felt powerful fighting due to being skilled was the end Mindflayer boss in the Dread Vault. I almost solo'd him, ended up dying so my team could come back in and fight him. Same goes for the elf guy in the Tower, then he goes Super Mutant and starts wrecking everything. Those were fun, memorable fights, so I know the team has it in them to make better battles.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    It takes me about an hour to create a character - then I end up deleting it and rerolling no less then three times.

I generally try to have a level 1 character for a week or two so I have time to get used to the look of the character; if during that time I find anything I dislike about it I will delete and recreate it.
    rofl
    Well, that is where the problem lies.
    If you take an hour+ to create a character, yeah, you're gonna forget stuff and have a disconnect.
    I doubt the average player takes an hour to create a character.
    I'd bet less than 1% keeps a level 1 or level 4 character for a week.

I'm not sure why you're expecting a game to cater to your idiosyncracies.
  • healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    rofl
    I doubt the average player takes an hour to create a character.

(^∇^) I've spent more than that to create my one and only; well mostly spent on deciding name and bio (which the game erased on creation).

Enjoyed every minute of it... I'm kinda weird now I think about it.