test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alchemy confusions - and a request for a Crafting section on these Forums.

alemap000alemap000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I'm playing on Beholder and chat is full of Alchemy questions.

"Why can't I level up past 2?"
"Why am I not getting any XP?"
"It's asking for an ingredient but I can't find it anywhere?"
"Do we really have to use Zen to buy what we need to level up?"

Can we please have an official alchemy guide published? It should be automatically handled when you release a new crafting profession.

In related news, can we please have a crafting section on these forums and an area on the main site for crafting under The Game menu? Finding info is more than hit and miss at this point. I'd be happy to phone interview whoever handles crafting and write a crafting section for you if that is what it takes to get the info verified and all in one spot.

Alchemy is exciting. I would really love to learn more about how it actually works, roll up my sleeves, and start brewing potions!
Post edited by alemap000 on

Comments

• tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Plus, they could stand to get it working on the Gateway too.
    $0.02
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tinukeda wrote: »
    Plus, they could stand to get it working on the Gateway too.
    $0.02

Yes, this. What with needing to farm & process lots of materials at 10min each, I was anticipating having the Gateway open while I do other things. Whoops.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You seem to get the XP scrolls only for making potions , once it unlocks a potion you get a scroll to go to next level . No scrolls for making the potion you know , at least it looks that way . At level 1 I got a regen potion , is that same for everyone ?
  • alemap000alemap000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Apparently the Experimentation process results in one of the needed materials for later projects, or so I read on a different post. Heading back ingame to try it.
  • clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm still having trouble with this. I am currently level 2, I have been doing the level 2 experimenting to get the Alchemical Knowledge, but I need 3 of these, and after receiving 2 as rewards, this no longer shows as a possible result, so how do I get the 3rd one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm still having trouble with this. I am currently level 2, I have been doing the level 2 experimenting to get the Alchemical Knowledge, but I need 3 of these, and after receiving 2 as rewards, this no longer shows as a possible result, so how do I get the 3rd one?

Just keep doing experimentations. You don't get alchemical knowledge 100% of the time.
    edited June 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Just keep doing experimentations. You don't get alchemical knowledge 100% of the time.

That's what I was doing, the problem I seem to be having is that before, the Alchemical Knowledge was showing as a possible result, but now it doesn't. I guess i'll keep at it, hopefully it's just a bug in the possible results view.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Ok, i guess that was the case, after the 9th attempt, i finally got my 3rd one. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dyssiniusdyssinius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here's what I've got so far:

Alchemy is different from the other professions in that your recipes typically do not reward XP. You also don't get access to recipes automatically, except for the Profession Asset recipes and Experimentation.

Each level of Alchemy opens up a new Experimentation task. Experimentation's results seem unpredictable (as you might expect from the name), but possible results include recipes for different potions, Alchemical Knowledge scrolls, and Unstable Potions. You should get an Unstable Potion every time you do Experimentation; the scrolls have a chance to drop.

Once you collect the proper number of Alchemical Knowledge scrolls, you can do the Alchemical Research task, which rewards XP.

Experimentation sometimes rewards new recipes, which allow you to create more typical potions to buff stats, heal, etc.

edit: I should note that, no matter how many alchemists you have available, you can only run one Experimentation task at a time.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just to add what dyssinius said. Alchemical knowledge scrolls and new recipes are linked. If you get a recipe, you will also get a knowledge scroll with it. Once you have collected all the recipes there is for a level, you will have enough knowledge to level up.
  • qinnuxqinnux Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the experimentation seems to yield the basic scroll at a 30% rate, so one out of 3 might "succeed" - i bet it gets lower ar higher levels.

Doing the experimentation can unlock different potion craft recipes.
  • advengerkosadvengerkos Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have now maxed alchemy (level 20), was an interesting journey. I really hope the rare crafts yield better than what I am seeing.
  • qinnuxqinnux Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    WHAT? how the hell did u get all these basic scrolls already - let me guess AD speed runs?

And also... many of the recipes are plain wrong:
    Minor potion of healing (quite worthless right?) = 3 green and 3 blue vitrol and 25 minutes!!!!!
    While fort/force potion needs just 15 min and 3x green or 3x blue - 2x less materials and less time for more valuable potions.
    They need to balance this up.
  • advengerkosadvengerkos Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have 9 prof slots and it helps being one of the richest crafters :P
  • amalyndaamalynda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    I have 9 prof slots and it helps being one of the richest crafters :P

does being a superrich crafter also help you bend time? just the The alchemical Research tasks total about 200hrs of craft time, half that if you had 4 x Grandmaster Alchemists the entire time. That's still over 4 straight days, almost 100 hours, not counting gathering non-AH-able materials. As the profession has only been active since thursday, it seems a little far-fetched that you could have maxed it in the 60ish hours since the game and Alchemy went live....
  • kaelon79kaelon79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    P2W: either it takes 100x the amount of time or you pay to win. This profession is nothing more than a way for them to get more AD out of the market through speeding up recipes while at the same time pushing people to buy profession asset packs (the so called guaranteed alchemy mats).
  • dyssiniusdyssinius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    amalynda wrote: »
    does being a superrich crafter also help you bend time?

It literally does. "Finish Now."
    edited June 2013
    does being a superrich crafter also help you bend time? just the The alchemical Research tasks total about 200hrs of craft time, half that if you had 4 x Grandmaster Alchemists the entire time. That's still over 4 straight days, almost 100 hours, not counting gathering non-AH-able materials. As the profession has only been active since thursday, it seems a little far-fetched that you could have maxed it in the 60ish hours since the game and Alchemy went live....

You can use AD to autofinish any task. I was able to level up alchemy to 20 in less than a day on the preview server since I could get unlimited AD there. It however is not a task I would repeat on the live servers. So yes, if you have enough AD you can bend time.
  • amalyndaamalynda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    Spending hundreds of thousands of AD to finish an 18 hr task just to be first to get to rank20 just seems ridiculous, but yeah, i'd forgotten about that feature.

Wonder how many cats he owns/sold?
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Spending hundreds of thousands of AD to finish an 18 hr task just to be first to get to rank20 just seems ridiculous, but yeah, i'd forgotten about that feature.

Wonder how many cats he owns/sold?

Could have done it all legit... spend $100 on zen -> AD the first day of early start. Powerlevel a couple craftings to lv20. Now sell all the top crafted stuff that's "rare" because you're the only guy with them, to other founders, for big AD. Spend that AD to keep "ahead of the curve" so you always are making a profit on things before others. (like, say, with alchemy now)

..this would be that "it costs money to make money" thing.
  • nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    ..this would be that "it costs money to make money" thing.

Accept of course that there is no (legitimate) way to convert Zen/AD back to real world money. So you may end up with a load on in game currency but you're still $100 (or more likely $100s down).