test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DPS/OFFHEALS/DEBUFF/BUFF Discussion

Comments

• grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    yes it is. I tested it and I was pleasantly surprised.

Dps and speed wise is it the same?
    Faster/slower?

Not at home to test this
  • faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    grifterec wrote: »
    Dps and speed wise is it the same?
    Faster/slower?

Not at home to test this

It felt like more damage and faster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Tried this in pirate king before my party rage quit. Was second in dps, it would have worked if people knew how to play without a healing cleric crutch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    LOL, if you are the only cleric in a party youll need to throw on a few actual healing spells. Still generally beat at least 1 dps that way ;-)

But im finding it interesting that Flame is out dpsing/debuffing and generating more DP than lance.. i used it exclusively when i was healer spec, went lance because of the talents, but i would love to use those 5 points to feat daunting light, or put back into rigtheous rage of the tempest
  • trinity1980trinity1980 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sacred Flame:
    -faster divinity gain (actually, a lot faster!)

Lance:
    -slightly more damage than Flame

I go with Flame + BotS.

And I was wrong, when I said that I use Prophetic Action. I'm not used to use the english spell descriptions. Actually, I use Holy Fervour + Terrifying Insight.
    Never tried Prophecy of Doom because I didn't know what the spell was doing. I don't want to respecc right now since my free respecc is already used.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I wish I hadn't used my last free respec so soon. I got onto the divine glow and sacred flame late and now have niether maxed out. Not to mention a few other points I wished I'd spent differently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Ran some more T1's easy T'2

As only DC in T1's Outdpsed whole group while still keeping everyone alive.

In t2 with very geared group (i was offheals/dps there was another DC)
    Was able to beat everyone but the rogue, and i was very close

Did some testing with Sacred flame vs Lance.

Both seem to be roughly the same speed about 1/second
    Lance hits for a small amount more, like maybe 10-15%
    Sacred flame builds what seems like 20% More divine power

I am now on the fence about pulling my 5 points from Focused Poise ( the buff from this was not used in the above test), in favor of either feating daunting light or throwing it into righteous rage
  • gtxinsanegtxinsane Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I feel the real problem with getting Focused Poise is that it only applies the bonus to non-critical hits (most, if not all clerics are built to have critical at soft-cap), not to mention Sacred Flame still generates more DP (as mentioned before).

Unfeated Lance already deals more damage to Sacred Flame (by a very little bit, around 3-4% courtesy of the last hit), without the bonus and stuff. In hindsight, the only feats useful in the Virtuous line are Rising Hope, Power of the Sun, and Nimbus of Light (the rest just don't have synergy, or don't make sense [strength of the gods, a defensive feat in the virtuous line? really now?]). Made me wish they just put all the offensive/debuff feats on that line to make it easier for DPS/pseudo-support clerics to build stuff.

The only thing that makes me use Lance over Flame are 2 things, not enough melee on my team (which very rarely happens), and I feel Sacred Flame's cast animation is clunky where you can't cancel properly.
    Gabriel Angelfire - Devoted Cleric // Karguk the Impaler - Great Weapon Fighter // Zephalyne - Control Wizard
    PVP: How to make your life less miserable as a Devoted Clerics -- Still in it's Unfinished Glory
    Dragon
    edited June 2013
    gtxinsane wrote: »
    I feel the real problem with getting Focused Poise is that it only applies the bonus to non-critical hits (most, if not all clerics are built to have critical at soft-cap), not to mention Sacred Flame still generates more DP (as mentioned before).

Unfeated Lance already deals more damage to Sacred Flame (by a very little bit, around 3-4% courtesy of the last hit), without the bonus and stuff. In hindsight, the only feats useful in the Virtuous line are Rising Hope, Power of the Sun, and Nimbus of Light (the rest just don't have synergy, or don't make sense [strength of the gods, a defensive feat in the virtuous line? really now?]). Made me wish they just put all the offensive/debuff feats on that line to make it easier for DPS/pseudo-support clerics to build stuff.

The only thing that makes me use Lance over Flame are 2 things, not enough melee on my team (which very rarely happens), and I feel Sacred Flame's cast animation is clunky where you can't cancel properly.

I dont think strength of the gods is bad, or misplaced in virtuous. You are correct in that there isnt much actual damage we get out of the virtuous tree, luckily we dont need the tree to do really good damage. Strength of the gods is something that i have been on the fence about for a long time.

I run with another cleric most of the time (my wife) who is faithful spec, with moontouched. Needless to say she is using HG on cooldown, so most of the time i am spamming Diving armour for some mitigation/THP. Feating into Strength of the Gods would actually be very strong 5% damage to everyone is not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and neither is the added 5% mitigation.

Thank you for your insight on lance, i think i could definitely be using those points better somewhere else with just a slight drop in overall DPS
    edited June 2013
    Another thing to note is the first 2 hits of Lance are actually faster than Sacred Flames first 2 hits (just a couple of micro seconds though), the last hit is where Sacred Flame catches up since 3rd Lance Hit charges up for a bit (a bit longer if you don't cancel) before making the throw. The DPS loss from using Sacred Flame from Lance should barely be noticeable (feated or otherwise).

Oh and don't get me wrong, Strength of the Gods is a great feat, though you are right in saying that I do feel it is misplaced. Nimbus of Light is great if you can stack it alongside Divine Glow (7.5% damage buff/damage resist debuff). Think of it as Ray of Enfeeblement in a 10' AoE. Pretty good stuff.
    Gabriel Angelfire - Devoted Cleric // Karguk the Impaler - Great Weapon Fighter // Zephalyne - Control Wizard
    PVP: How to make your life less miserable as a Devoted Clerics -- Still in it's Unfinished Glory
    Dragon
    edited June 2013
    I use DG and DL almost 100% of the time. but also the high prophet set shreds defenses by 30% also, GPF shreds it, and student of the sword. Im just not positive 10% more defense shred is necessary, honeslty think ill take it out of focus poise and throw it in righteous rage
    edited June 2013
    Ok I like my dps cleric but I definitely missed some vital pieces.

I was thinking of this for a respect

Heroic feats:
    healing action (2/5), because I have to...
    toughness (3/3), more health can't hurt, it will certainly be easier to stay alive and dps with more health.
    Holy Resolve (3/3), temp health when I'm close to death? yes please.
    Weapon Mastery (3/3), more crit chance? yes please.
    Domain Synergy (2/5), more recovery can't hurt.
    Battle wise (2/3), less threat can't hurt.
    Bountiful Fortune (4/5), more divine power? More divinity spells! I use divinity a lot, so I need to gain it fast too.
    Templar's Domain (1.5), 5% chance for 30% more armour pen? More damage!!

Paragon feats:

Virtuous Tree:
    Rising Hope (1/5), does this stack or each overwrite the previous? Not too sure here
    Desperate Renewal (4/5), need to get to the next paragon feats (also kindof useful sometimes)
    Power of the Sun (5/5), nice DoT now with debuff!!
    Nimbus of light (5/5), Nice dps now with debuff!!

Righteous Tree:
    Righteous Rage of the Tempus (5/5), more divine power per hit? yes please.
    Ethereal Boon (5/5), Bonus divine power when my encounters come of cooldown? yes please.

6 feat points to put somewhere left but not sure where :/

Powers:
    Astral Seal (2/3), nice skill to use sometimes, but usually not, prerequisite skill
    Lance of Faith (2/3), good but doesn't generate divinity fast enough for my liking.
    Sunburst (3/3), decent trash clearing skill, also useful for when I want a knock back skill.
    Guardian of faith (1/3), prerequisite point
    Healer's Lore (1/3), prerequisite point

Healing word (3/3), actually useful for healing myself because it is regen not HoT. Who would have thought? Useful to use after battles to save on potions.
    Searing light (3/3), decent dps in divine mode, good if you can co-ordinate with a CW's singularity in a group.
    Flamestrike (3/3), Only AOE dps daily, Of course a must have for a dps spec.
    Hallowed Ground (3/3), useful in boss fights sometimes to both stay alive longer and do more damage.
    Chains of Blazing Light (3/3), amazing skill, not huge dps but it doesn't generate so much agression as sun burst because it doesn't heal.

Divine Fortune (3/3), useful if you want to swap in healing skills sometime, also a prerequisite.
    Sacred Flames (3/3), fasted divinity gaining at will.
    Daunting light (3/3), highest dps encounter.
    holy fervour (1/3), prerequisite point

Forgemaster's flame (3/3), amazing DoT and is a slowing debuff. Also can heal in divinity mode if I feel like it.
    Prophecies of Doom (3/3), damage done during this effect is done again when it ends. If the monster is killed while the effect is active this skill instantly recharges. Good for boss fights.
    Brand of the Sun (3/3), good DoT, apply to beefy mobs.
    Terrifying insight (3/3), a mush have for a dps cleric.
    Break the spirit (3/3), DoT and debuff? Yup I like these types of skills done.
    Divine GLow (3/3), Damage and debuff? Buff in divine mode? AoE skill? Ok got to take this.

Astral Shield (3/3), in case I feel like using a damage resist buff.
    Hammer of Fate (3/3), Highest single target daily (highest damage dealing skill we have!)
    Prophetic action (3/3), Can't count how many times this skill has saved my life. it's a keeper.

Thoughts on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    grifterec wrote: »
    I use DG and DL almost 100% of the time. but also the high prophet set shreds defenses by 30% also, GPF shreds it, and student of the sword. Im just not positive 10% more defense shred is necessary, honeslty think ill take it out of focus poise and throw it in righteous rage

GWF (student of sword [45%]), CW (ray of enfeeblement [30%]), GF (mark-feated [10%]) all deliver some form of defense shred (not to mention plaguefire). If you put it in Nimbus of Light, you could probably change up your item setup from High Prophet to 2/2 T2s or Miracle Healer for better stats and a bit more survivability. Though Righteous Rage ain't that bad as well.
    Snip...

2 Points on Rising Hope to gain almost 100% uptime (assuming you cast a D.Spell every minute), the timer refreshes per cast, doesn't stack.

Domain Synergy isn't really much needed (Diminishing Returns hits pretty early for a cleric), same goes for Battlewise as cleric don't recieve that much threat anymore whether you have it or not. you're better putting your points in Repurpose Soul. This turns your DoTs into pseudo-forgemaster's, and a crit Daunting Light into a mini Bastion of Health.

Ethereal Boon is a meh skill now, basically takes almost 10 casts to fill a bar. Still useful, but I feel not as needed though.

I feel like Searing Light only merits 1 point, 20% more damage is good, but not great. It has very limited use (clearing loads of trashmobs with help of ArcSingu). The same goes for Prophecy of Doom (1 point wonder), it's the second best AP generator for clerics second to Sunburst, the damage/debuff helps but you don't really need it since you want to put it to Trash Mobs to keep the cooldown refreshing for AP (the damage is only done at the end of the duration, and it's dependent on your damage), it also has limited PvP uses. Foresight I feel is great even for a DPS cleric, it's a raw 6% (11% feated) damage reduction that you can pass on through Repurpose Soul heals.

How does Prophetic Action work for you? It will block the lead-skill from other classes in PvP which is great (except CoS TRs and Devoted Clerics), in PvE though it's a bit weird, the block is usually used from a Trash Mob pull instead of that big boss spike damage.
    Dragon
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for some tips, not sure some of it is worth while though :/
    I feel like Searing Light only merits 1 point, 20% more damage is good, but not great. It has very limited use (clearing loads of trashmobs with help of ArcSingu). The same goes for Prophecy of Doom (1 point wonder), it's the second best AP generator for clerics second to Sunburst, the damage/debuff helps but you don't really need it since you want to put it to Trash Mobs to keep the cooldown refreshing for AP (the damage is only done at the end of the duration, and it's dependent on your damage), it also has limited PvP uses. Foresight I feel is great even for a DPS cleric, it's a raw 6% (11% feated) damage reduction that you can pass on through Repurpose Soul heals.

How does Prophetic Action work for you? It will block the lead-skill from other classes in PvP which is great (except CoS TRs and Devoted Clerics), in PvE though it's a bit weird, the block is usually used from a Trash Mob pull instead of that big boss spike damage.

See I don't plan to be healing at all really so to get to the feated foresight seems like a waste. Also since I won't really be healing others forsight wouldn't proc.

Prophetic action does sometimes trigger from trash mobs, but I find more often then not even if the first hit was a trash mob subsequent ones tend to be big hits.

Great other points though, thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for some tips, not sure some of it is worth while though :/

See I don't plan to be healing at all really so to get to the feated foresight seems like a waste. Also since I won't really be healing others forsight wouldn't proc.

Prophetic action does sometimes trigger from trash mobs, but I find more often then not even if the first hit was a trash mob subsequent ones tend to be big hits.

Great other points though, thanks.

Yeah, but it's great to have those mini Repurpose Soul heals for your team even if you don't want to be healing at all, besides, there's very little options left (battlewise, domain synergy, initiate of faith) to choose from.

Un-feated Foresight is still pretty good (6% is pretty hard to attain for a offensive minded cleric), but I see where you're getting at (having Prophetic Action)
    Dragon
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, but it's great to have those mini Repurpose Soul heals for your team even if you don't want to be healing at all, besides, there's very little options left (battlewise, domain synergy, initiate of faith) to choose from.

Un-feated Foresight is still pretty good (6% is pretty hard to attain for a offensive minded cleric), but I see where you're getting at (having Prophetic Action)

Yeah not alot of options, still foresight procs on heals and I won't be healing so I feel I won't get the boost.

It is true there are not alot of options, but where to put the rest I'm not sure :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • punisoufflepunisouffle Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've never been into or know much about Castle Never yet. I wonder how does DPS/off-heal build fare there as the only cleric in the group. Is it guaranteed to be a lot more hectic than any Tier 2 dungeons, even with well-coordinated party?
    edited June 2013
    I've never been into or know much about Castle Never yet. I wonder how does DPS/off-heal build fare there as the only cleric in the group. Is it guaranteed to be a lot more hectic than any Tier 2 dungeons, even with well-coordinated party?

Unfortunately, Castle Never is probably one of the dungeons (alongside Dreadvault) where a DPS cleric spells disaster to the team. If you're a solo cleric most likely you need to spec healing completely to get through without a hitch.

And that's the reason I went hybrid. :P
    Dragon
  • landragoonlandragoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Repurpose Soul: When one of your spells has a critical effect the target of that spell disperses a small area effect heal [...]
    Mind the wording, it tells us something about this feat, and why it's not quite as good as it looks. TARGET of the spell.

1a. Ground-target AoE spells don't target enemies or allies. These spells include Daunting Light and Flame strike. They do not proc Repurpose Soul at all.
    1b. Funny enough, even though Divine Glow only targets ground, one target critically hit by Divine Glow will radiate the Repurpose Soul healing. If you crit more than one target, there's still only one heal.
    1c. Since they never gets a critical effect, Chains of Blazing Light and Astral Shield cannot proc Repurpose Soul.
    1d. Since I don't have Bastion of Health, I cannot categorize it. It might work similarly to Divine Glow
    2. Point blank Area of Effect spells target everyone inside the AoE as a seperate spell. (This is the reason for Sun Burst's huge AP generation - you get as much AP as you would for hitting every target inside the AoE with a single encounter.) Since they target everyone individually, Repurpose Soul procs for every target critically hit
    3. Channeled Effects target for each tick - hence, every critical tick of Punishing or Soothing Light as well as Hammer of Fate procs Repurpose Soul.
    4. DoT/HoT effects only target on spell cast. Hence, only the first tick for a critical Brand of the Sun, Forgemaster's Flame, Break the Spirit and Healing Word procs Repurpose Soul.
    5a. Single-target spells and powers, including Lance of Faith, Astral Seal damage, Sacred Flame and Guardian of Faith always proc Repurpose Soul on a critical hit.
    5b. For all intents and purposes, Searing Light counts as a single-target spell. Hence, only the main target of Searing Light will radiate a Repurpose Soul heal if hit critically. Pass-through targets, or side targets from the Divinity effect, will not proc Repurpose Soul.
    6. Critical Astral Seal heals do not proc Repurpose Soul.

While Repurpose Soul surely is a decent feat compared to all the junk we get for our heroic feats, it's not nearly as good as you make it out to be. Not proccing from Daunting Light at all is a huge letdown for DPS builds, as are the very limited circumstances for a proc off Searing Light. Only procing from initial DoT ticks would be the nail in the coffin if we had any reasonable alternatives
    edited June 2013
    Never tested it enough to realize it doesn't off from sequential dot ticks. I'll try to test it out for myself later. Though i still feel 3 points in it is an ok investment if you compare it to the rest of the heroics we have.
    Dragon
    edited June 2013
    Well I respecced and my GS went up about 400 points. Ran frozen heart and came top in dps beating the TR by about 400k damage.

Also since I crit a lot repurposeful soul gives nice bonus healing to the party as well as soothing light for spot heals when someone took a massive hit. Works really well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • extol01extol01 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a hybrid heal and dps spec on my cleric. Recently I have been searching a way of removing astral shield from my encounter bar because everyone has become so reliant on it.

I'm specced into the top paragon tree.

Originally what I did was
    at wills:
    -brand of the sun
    -Astral seal (swap for lance of faith when solo)

Encounters:
    -Astral shield <- swapped this for sunburst and was able to heal and dps quite well.
    -Forgemaster's flame
    -Daunting light

dailies:
    -Hammer of fate
    -Flamestrike

class features:
    -prophetic action
    -terrifying insight

what I have been experimenting with is changing around my encounter bar in an attempt to eliminate Astral Shield:

-Healing word, if this skill was affected by recovery it would be a great skill, maine issue is that you run out of charges or need to use the divine version. If this was affected by recovery and easier to target it would be a good skill. Also since this skill applies regeneration not healing it heals me nicely as well (albeit over time).

-Sunburst, Great for gaining action points, if it's heal and damage scaled well to end game it would be quite good. Best use is action point gain and clearing trash.

-Astral Shield, Nice damage debuff and decent heal for party members. Terrible for the caster due to righteousness. When I was using it after the patch I preferred the none divine version and used forgemaster's flame for healing because it was far superior. Been trying to remove this from my encounter bar as people have become so reliant on it they forgot how to dodge.

-Forgemaster's flame, This is an amazing heal and it also does damage when used in devine mode. A solid skill for damage and healing alike.

-Divine Glow, not alot of damage but a nice debuff. I found somewhat useful but not interesting but not enough to put more then 1 point into it

-Break the Spirit, Great debuff for uses on a boss to help the boss die faster. Haven't experimented mush with this solo.

-Prophecies of Doom, this is a good debuff for bosses and trash alike. if it kills a trash mob during the effect it instantly recharges. If used on a boss (assuming it has some health left) all the damage that was done to it during it's effect is done again. Needs more exploration but a solid skill.

-Daunting light, A must have for any dps spec cleric. This is the highest damage dealing encounter we have.

-Chains of blazing light, nice at low levels, but I feel it doesn't scale well up to the higher levels. Still it is a nice snare but not so useful in PvE. In PvP it is amazing however.

-Bastion of health, useless for a dps spec and terrible for a healing spec. Not worth spending any point into this garbage skill even for prerequisite points.

-Searing light, Nice AoE when used in divine mode, but the damage feels subpar. Will need to investigate it more in solo play.

class features:
    holy fervor can be used instead of prophetic action.

Dailies:
    can replace flamestrike or hammer of fate with hallowed ground if you need a damage and resist buff.

EDIT:
    just solo healed pirate king were one person d/c'd before the end without astral shield. I replaced it with sunburst. In the end I did over 6 mil damage, out damaging the tank (who d/c'd) and the CW. I was about 2 mill ahead of the CW an 4.5 mil ahead of the tank.

EDIT 2:
    just had people rage quit on me because I was beating a CW in dps XD.

@ faeriestorm
    Would you be able to show your ending stat allocation, and...
    ...also your stat allocation at creation?

I'm new to the game and creating a dps Cleric. Not sure where to place my numbers.
    Thanks a bunch!
    edited June 2013
    GWF (student of sword [45%]), CW (ray of enfeeblement [30%]), GF (mark-feated [10%]) all deliver some form of defense shred (not to mention plaguefire). If you put it in Nimbus of Light, you could probably change up your item setup from High Prophet to 2/2 T2s or Miracle Healer for better stats and a bit more survivability. Though Righteous Rage ain't that bad as well.

Yes but the debuffs all stack seperately from armor pen, so SOS +GPF + high prophet equals huge amount shredded
  • zarchoszarchos Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2013
    If you are DPS'ing as a cleric, you are wrong.
    edited June 2013
    zarchos wrote: »

If you ar epart of this conversation with no knowledge of such... you are wrong, and likely some rogue who was out dpsed by a cleric who happened to also keep the whole group alive
  • extol01extol01 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey guys, I'm still looking for beginning and ending stat allocation.
    Starting up as a human I don't know where my point allocation should go as a dps Cleric.

Thanks!
    edited June 2013
    extol01 wrote: »
    hey guys, I'm still looking for beginning and ending stat allocation.
    Starting up as a human I don't know where my point allocation should go as a dps Cleric.

Thanks!

Mine is 19 str 22 wis 19 cha (human)
    edited June 2013
    but take that for what its worth
  • snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zarchos wrote: »
    +1
    if rogues have been out dpsed by a cleric they are wrong too
    edited June 2013
    snorri30 wrote: »
    +1
    if rogues have been out dpsed by a cleric they are wrong too
    if you are playing the game, completing content and having fun... you are RIGHT...