test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gauntlgrym - Dissapointments and Appreciations

darkxelradarkxelra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This post is about my experience of Gauntlgyrm and that of my fellow guild mates. First of all I will start with the Appreciations. The whole idea is amazing, PvE, PvP, then PvE for a reward. It brings together the best of both the worlds and lets PvE players and PvE players mix together for a fun and challenging experience. The map looks amazing and the goals and fights are great. The objectives were a little vague at start and with little information on when things did what, was a little confusing. But still somewhat fun.

Now... for the Disappointments. It's sad to say that I did not have as much fun as I had hoped in GG. I like the rest of our guild was under the impression that we would be able to form 20 man parties, or 4 groups of 5 to enter into a "raid" like system and be able to use strategy and co-ordination. But instead, we were all thrown together like a random bowl of mash potatoes. No co-ordination was required, you just ran around in your little group of 5. Which felt nothing like a 20 player scenario what so ever. Ok ok, so the first phase, PvE objectives, ok, I can handle that... Then the second phase...

The PvP... What's the point of making a 20v20 PvP that you can't bring 20 of your own players? Guild max sizes are 500!!! But you can only bring 4 other of your guild mates into the PvP and hope that the other 15 players are good players with a clue. I mean this is great for those guild's who can't get 20, but that's why we have a Match Making
system isn't it? What about those guilds and players that want to play 20v20? organised pvp? It was very very disappointing. I was looking forward to some organised 20v20 PvP, but nothing, our team running around doing what we can, whilst the other 15 were doing their own thing. Felt like 5 v 5 v 5 v 5 v 5 v 5 v 5 v 5 again. That is NOT 20v20. It's 8 Groups of 5... That's NOT what we were told... 20v20 to me states that you can take 20 people in NOT 5 and then someone else brings 5 in and so forth. Extremely disappointing. Then... the third phase....

The PvE Dungeon... Ok... So let's clear this up... This 20v20 GG scenario instantly becomes 5vE AGAIN!? WHAT?!?!
We managed to get into the T2 Dwarf Crypt. Because our faction won. One of our players got kicked from PvP and could not join us... So then there was 4... Then another left and there was 3, then I was thankful that the dungeon mechanic allowed us to invite others that had both scrolls into the party so we had 5 again. So we qued up. Waiting for the all in 20 v E "raid" like structure... We get in... We wait a min... No one else was coming... What is this? 5vE AGAIN ? WHAT?! This is NOT 20vE this is NOT what we thought... Ok, so we press on. Better complete
this dungeon. We smash through the trash at a good pace. Get to the Last boss... LAST BOSS? ONLY BOSS.... Ok.... So it was simple, we've done NWN Bosses before, tank and spank... so we tank and spank and after a decent amount of time slog, he dies, drops 1 piece of T2 and a chest which gives us 5 GG coins... 2 hours + for 5 coins, 1 Piece of T2... in 2 hours my teams can run 2 - 3 instances, no glitches, 2 being through Dungeon
Delves, and everyone gets at least 2 pieces of loot, plus the mini bosses... Ok Ok, So I can get T2 PvP gear... and? it's no better than the T2 I can get actually it's worse than Miracle Healer or Beacon of Faith on my Cleric... Why would I want to run this? I will do it to get the weapon
for my GWF... that's about it...

In a quick Summary

Appreciations -

Graphics
Design (World and objectives)
Concept

Dissapointments -

This is NOT 20v20
This is NOT Organisable
This is NOT 20vE
This is NOT worth the time invested
This is NOT what it was lead to believe
The T2 Sets are NOT worth the time taken to acquire them
This is NOT a guild event
This is NOT new!

Please give us 20v20 properly, please give us some sort of raid challenge like we had hoped for. I will continue to play this game for now, because I have made a few friends and I enjoy most of it, but this last installment that I was sooo looking forward for was a massive disappointment!!!
Post edited by darkxelra on

Comments

• jellichojellicho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    Development team is unimaginative, what else can be said?
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You know, when you hit level 60 on a toon, you get an email saying that gauntlgrym is a 5 man dungeon. Maybe not anymore now that it's out, but yeah, just sayin.
  • stu66ystu66y Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I could not agree more with you! I made a similar post earlier in a different thread titled "Gauntlgrym". To add to the disappointments of GG, the new areas (like the arenas and such on the map) were an even worse disappointment. I felt I could've solo'd them myself... I almost wish I wouldn't have wasted my $70 I've put into this game so far. I was really let down this time..

-Eradicus/Level 60 Guardian Fighter
  • balorinbalorin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Even if i understand what you wish, gauntlgrym was not announced as a guild event.
    Sure you need to be in a guild to make the event, but it's not a guild event.
    In my opinion it's perfect like that because it gives a chance for all people, undergeared, new players, small guild, low-speed mount owner.
    i don't see the point to maximise the chance to win by giving the opportunity to make 20 raid group; considering that the stuff is not interesting as you said.
    GG has no GS to run it so the difficulty isn't high, it makes sense.
    They should start to fix the insane lag, the massive disconnext in phase two, and the reward scrolls not poping after one ot those savage connection lost even if you won the two part.
    They should had some very special rare fun loot on those boss, to push old players inside.
    Suits, dye, or mounts why not ^^
  • demonishademonisha Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I for one am disappointed at the fact they put timers on when GG can be run.. this in fact has caused me to lose interest.. Lemme redo my entire day so I can be logged in to do a event that from what I can tell is not worth a sheet. Unimaginative is a understatement with this so called expansion/patch.
  • sorrowclonesorrowclone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The anticipation of GG was the only thing keeping me from quitting. Now that I've tried it and been absolutely disappointed I'm done with this game and with this company. Free to Play does not mean fun and I'm glad I haven't supported this joke of a company financially. I would have expected them to release a game like this maybe 10 years ago and graphics can only carry a bad game so far.
  • darkxelradarkxelra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    balorin wrote: »
    Even if i understand what you wish, gauntlgrym was not announced as a guild event.
    In my opinion it's perfect like that because it gives a chance for all people, undergeared, new players, small guild, low-speed mount owner.
    i don't see the point to maximise the chance to win by giving the opportunity to make 20 raid group; considering that the stuff is not interesting as you said.
    They should start to fix the insane lag, the massive disconnext in phase two, and the reward scrolls not poping after one ot those savage connection lost even if you won the two part.
    They should had some very special rare fun loot on those boss, to push old players inside.

I understand that it allows low scored players and such, but I did the T2 with my group and a group of new 8500 players would not stand a chance against it. So even if they did win, in which they would have been carried to victory by the others, if they entered the T2 Dungeon, they would get smashed. If it wasn't intended to be a guild event or a 20 man group, Why make it that you have to be in a guild and why advertise it as 20v20. Bad marketing. I still like the game, but me and most my guild are extremely disappointed in GG
  • chelseacrafterchelseacrafter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Problem is... it's guild only. A lot of us are solo PVE players not in guilds. So it does not have "something for everyone" like it said.
  • chelseacrafterchelseacrafter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    balorin wrote: »

No offense but what you said doesn't make any sense. You have to be in a guild to do the event but it isn't a guild event. Ummm yeah it is. Those of us not in a guild and not wanting one now have to join a guild to do it. Last thing I need is more chat text and people monitoring what I'm doing with my time and deciding if I'm a "good fit" for their guild. So yeah... if I have to put up with all that nonsense just to do Gaunt then it's a guild event that never freaking ends.
  • shamurai7shamurai7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    My biggest complaint was it not being remotely worth my time. My team couldn't defeat the boss so I got NO reward at all. 2 hours got me 1 unidentified green item. It cost me 2 injury kits and 25 health potions. Total waste made me never want to play gauntlgrym again. Imo the devs wasted their time. I'd rather them make 3 or 4 new skirmishes and new armor and weapon models.
  • moskibearmoskibear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    demonisha wrote: »
    I for one am disappointed at the fact they put timers on when GG can be run.. this in fact has caused me to lose interest.. Lemme redo my entire day so I can be logged in to do a event that from what I can tell is not worth a sheet. Unimaginative is a understatement with this so called expansion/patch.

I agree! I am aware that MMOs require some form of time management from the player, they need to spend time to level and gear, they need to make time for raids or whatnot. With Neverwinter it is waiting for events, but it is getting worse with Gauntlygrym now on a timer as well after dungeon delves. I would much rather have less opportunities to gain something and have a few more dailies instead (not to the level of it getting crazy, I know that is a bad thing as well, we need a better balance)

I am not saying it is a solution, I agree with you, I was expecting to be able to queue up For gauntlgrym and run it within a matter of time. I suppose I will give it a full shot tomorrow, maybe the actual thing is pretty cool, lord knows.
  • xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2013
    I think the biggest f*cking joke about Gauntlash*t is the fact that it's on a timer!!!! So what happens for people that aren't on at those times? Tough sh*t, you get f*ck all. This really is a massive disappointing "Live" content patch.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Do you think the 'GG' acronym was Cryptic throwing in the towel?
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • xylithanxylithan Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2013
    May as well. I'm boggled as to how their development team went "Yea that's a good idea, lets put it on a timer".

Separate the PVE and PVP event's out and have them queuable, lower the event timer to 2 - 3 hours. Save results of each PVE and PVP queued event and average results. Done. Or even have it so you do the PVE event for the first few hours, average result, then do the PVP event for the first few hours, average result, event pops. Dungeon. There are many ways this could have been implemented.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let me spell Gauntlgrym for you right now , it's " Fail " simple as that regardless of the fact that people call it " GG " or whatever .
  • vinibagvinibag Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's my point of view too. U made a guild vs guild 80 vs 80 with perfect world. And it was the best part of this game. It create emulation between guilds. So why not doing the same with neverwinter???
  • oxiactionoxiaction Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    Whole Gauntlgrym aka "late game content" (lol?!) is a ****ing joke.

I throwed the game now - finally... Yesterday evening I deleted the game from my hard drive. I dont want to wait again - running around ~1 month with BiS - for the next "late game content" and getting dissapointed AGAIN.

Just stop developing this game. Late game is just a mess! And the late game decides, if a MMO stays alive - OR NOT.

Thanks anyways for ~400h of gameplay with mostly lots of fun. But now its over - u guys dont know anything about good "raid" (what raid btw?) or good dungeon / boss mechanics design.

Every instance is easymode and the "2" new instances are the biggest joke of all (I mean: 1 boss? Really?)...

Not to forget about the crappy loot - I cant get any upgrades from your "new late game content"....

FAIL CRYPTIC
  • chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I never like Gauntlgrym to begin with, and guild systems sucks in this game, no real incentives, aside from having someone to dungeon delve with you. it's not even rewarding to be in a guild compare to other MMOs like EQ2.
  • stormerstormer Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *GG* acronym just got a whole new meaning after this I guess :)

Giant Garbage perhaps :9
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't honestly agree with some points. Its nice when you can start in a group of five. Instead of waiting for everyone to get in a good group, or going one group at a time. (With a team of 20 groups how long that would take) everyone is thrown in a bowl. I'd much rather have that.

Then broken systems like some in TOR, where you had to invite each and every single person to attend. Now like GW2 people can just jump in become automatically involved in the game. Making each team get a group of five, before starting would be horrible. Then people would complain about not finding groups rather then just randomly joining one.

My own experience, it wasn't that bad. It seemed like we had 2x PVE Dunegons. We ran around killing the same monsters as before. I thought the second round had more actual PVP not PVE. It seemed like we did the dungeon twice. Awkwardly not knowing what we're doing, we randomly attack targets.

At the end, we have to queue for PVP. Which is odd. I just thought we went through a 20 man PVP in that dungeon. Still confused on that.
  • shuy1shuy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have not done GG yet..but really people were expecting 3 bosses in the final dungeon? I mean, everyone here agreed that you need already 2 hours to finish GG, with 2 more bosses that would have been 2.30-3h..for a single event? Really?
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    stormer wrote: »
    *GG* acronym just got a whole new meaning after this I guess :)

Giant Garbage perhaps :9

Good Game. As in it's over.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Problem is... it's guild only. A lot of us are solo PVE players not in guilds. So it does not have "something for everyone" like it said.

Form a guild with other like-minded people just for this purpose. No guild rules, no officers, no guild schedule or anything - just a guild for people that don't want to be in a guild.....call it the "Luskan leftovers" or something.

Problem solved.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • idunazidunaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited June 2013
    My only disappointment is that they have this on a timer. GG should run continuously. As soon as all 3 phases finish, and new phase should start up 30 minutes after phase 3 has ended. You need approximately 300 GG coins to get a full set. It is unrealistic to think that most people will be able to participate in GG more than once a day, and honestly for people who actually work and have lives, depending on how the timer falls, trying to do it even once a day is probably not realistic. They REALLY need to get rid of this 5 hours timer bs.
  • altreloaltrelo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No offense but what you said doesn't make any sense. You have to be in a guild to do the event but it isn't a guild event. Ummm yeah it is. Those of us not in a guild and not wanting one now have to join a guild to do it. Last thing I need is more chat text and people monitoring what I'm doing with my time and deciding if I'm a "good fit" for their guild. So yeah... if I have to put up with all that nonsense just to do Gaunt then it's a guild event that never freaking ends.
    First to clear something up you do know that this is an MMO? As in Massive Multiplayer not Me Myself?
    Make a Guildless Guild or one without much rules. My current guild we have those who want to socialize in Mumble and those that don't just play. We don't even really run leveling up groups we level up solo. I'm sorry to say that in a MMO you generally have to play together and socialize at least at end game. Soloing epics and raids was possible in my previous game, DDO, but you had to have skill and the gear which you got running with people.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Gauntlgrym - Is a complete piece of garbage and should be scrapped and rebuilt.

What Gauntlgrym should have been is a 20 vs. 20 PvP battleground like many other MMOs have done. Use WoW's PvP/PvE battlegrounds with a boss that defends a keep with mini-bosses as guards and a few objectives to gain favor within the PvPvE match. Get rid of the factions and have a queue system, so once there is a total of 40 players, the game creates 2 teams of 20 and starts. The winner is the team that kills the other teams boss.

The concept has been out for 8+yrs and has been a major success.

Drop this stupid <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of Gauntlgrym and build a real 20v20 PvPvE environment. The reward is the gameplay and not some ****ty tokens/PvP Gear. If you gave players great game play and no rewards, players will play it!