What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beta Quests

dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
If you are a beta author:

please don't:

1) stack mobs (this is the #1 thing everyone does)
2) stick the final chest somewhere unreachable
3) Oh, and don't leave from the boxes in protector's enclave. I'm not sure why but all the worst quests have you jumping into a pile of boxes to start.

Please

1) if you have 0 reviews, you need to use the description to give people confidence to try it. Estimate how long it is, and if it can be completed solo
2) turn on waypoints

If you are a dev:

I like that the tab doesn't crash, but now there aren't enough quests to review. Not sure how I can refresh to find new quests to play. Also reviewed quests should be marked as such somehow.
Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
Post edited by dzogen on

Comments

• Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dzogen wrote: »

please don't:

Please

1) if you have 0 reviews, you need to use the description to give people confidence to try it. Estimate how long it is, and if it can be completed solo
    2) turn on waypoints

If you are a dev:

I like that the tab doesn't crash, but now there aren't enough quests to review. Not sure how I can refresh to find new quests to play. Also reviewed quests should be marked as such somehow.

Indeed. - Stacking mobs is probobly the most easy mistake you can do. (Depending also on how well you play/or how well geared you are towards the later levels) It doesn't take too long to notice a few things, as how hard something is.

Though I myself love challenging foundries. Mostly for the combat difficulty, though higher ratings for me comes when a is well rounded. (It has a story for example, but also decent combat. Perhaps even a hint of exploration etc. But that's just me.)
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

please don't:

Please

2) turn on waypoints

If you are a dev:

Just wanted to add for #1 "if you intend for people to solo". Stacking encounters for 2-3 man content and warning players that solo is tough and its meant for 2 or 3 (or more) should be acceptable. Do you agree?
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    Just wanted to add for #1 "if you intend for people to solo". Stacking encounters for 2-3 man content and warning players that solo is tough and its meant for 2 or 3 (or more) should be acceptable. Do you agree?

Right, I am not a fan of stacking encounters for solo. I don't find burning thru potions fun & it makes it almost impossible for higher levels.

2-3 players, then yes, but again people are limiting their potential audience. Most aren't going to bother with a beta quest that's for 3 players or 60 minutes, etc.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
  • Options
    ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Right, I am not a fan of stacking encounters for solo. I don't find burning thru potions fun & it makes it almost impossible for higher levels.

2-3 players, then yes, but again people are limiting their potential audience. Most aren't going to bother with a beta quest that's for 3 players or 60 minutes, etc.

Agreed, it definitely limits your audience.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    vuelheringvuelhering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've gotten some bizarre reviews... some say my encounters are too easy, some too hard.

I'm so confused. :)
    Knights who say Ni!
    Foundry name: Vuelherring (with an extra 'R', matey)

"Bring out yer Dead" NW-DAI945C2G #humor #story #solo
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vuelhering wrote: »
    I've gotten some bizarre reviews... some say my encounters are too easy, some too hard.

I'm so confused. :)

This is because there are gamers, and then there are people who play games.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    tarrockatarrocka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vuelhering wrote: »
    ...some say my encounters are too easy, some too hard.

Beyond the Easy, Standard, and Hard selection, there are several factors to how difficult an encounter can actually be ...

1) Character's Class

2) Character's Level

3) Character's Companion (If Any)

4) Encounter Spacing -- How close the encounter is to others in the same room / region

On the in-game reviews that I do now, I always state those right up front ... on those reviews that I post here in the forums (since the review length in-game is so short), I usually add the number of healing potions / portable alters too.

To a limited extent, you as the module / mission creator have control over the difficulty of your adventure but you should definitely play through it with various classes at various levels -- only personal experience can tell you if (in your judgement) it is easier or harder than you designed it to be.
  • Options
    anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's funny how the tone is changing around mob stacking. It seems last month it was ok or a dungeon would be too simple without it. I think a lot of players are getting to 60 and realizing how exponentially difficult encounters can be. Hardest encounter in the catalog is the Mastermind, duo Infiltrator pack, but you wouldn't know it until 60 when they get the jump on you and kill you with their alpha strike.
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is it incorrect to kinda trust Cryptic's judgment of what's easy, standard, and hard? What i mean is, you can choose an encounter that they've labeled as easy, and well, it's easy. If you don't stack it, it's easy, even at higher levels, it's still an easy fight. You can choose an encounter that they've labeled as standard, and well, it's a basic fight. As long as it's not stacked with anything else, it's a basic fight. At higher levels, you kinda have to know how to play your character, but it's still a basic, solid fight, and doable if there's nothing stacked with it. I haven't used any hard encounters yet, so i can only assume that an encounter labeled as hard would be, well, hard. It's when authors want to make fights a little tougher by stacking them that all the difficulty issues arise.

My quest uses some easy encounters and a few standard ones. They are all spread out, you only do one fight at a time. Someone mentioned my quest on the forums awhile back as one of the "most balanced for all levels" that they'd seen. So, is it okay to trust the labels? The mobs gain new powers at higher levels, and Cryptic knows that. So is it okay to trust their labeling of their encounter groups?
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Here is my .02 on stacked encounters.

Do it, it's your quest. I didn't stack my encounters for fear of bad reviews. Then, saw a group go through my quest and just destroy it. So I stack some encounters, not many, just in some optional areas, and three main areas. Tough? Yes, but then I see people soloing it.

Never knew that GAMERS wanted cakewalks...I thought we liked things to be challenging?
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The truth is a Foundry is at the discretion of the author. The problem with this is encounters don't scale linearly and some authors, especially new authors are not 60 and do not know this, so what might seem like a challenge pre-60 is a wall at 60 that will prevent someone from finishing the quest. A single hard encounter can be challenging if it is a pack.

If an author is worried about a group wrecking their challenging solo player quest then an author can create a group or solo option that will spawn additional encounters based on the players decision.

I cringe when I see a stack of 3 or more easy melee encounters of 4-6 in a group. Easy melee encounters may have no HP but they hit like a truck, if a player is out of endurance it is an insta-kill against a player at 60, that is nearly 20 mobs hitting you at once.

A thread like this is just spreading awareness to authors that don't have the option to play test their quest at 60.
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shorlong wrote: »

Never knew that GAMERS wanted cakewalks...I thought we liked things to be challenging?

It depends on the gamers' gaming style sometimes. ;)

But going back to what i was saying, if you wanted to make a fight harder, would it maybe be better to use an encounter labeled as hard. The devs will have filled that encounter with the proper mobs (mayhaps?). The problem with stacking is that sometimes authors stack the wrong types of mobs together, most likely not even realizing it. As an example, people may stack encounters that include deathlock wights, which constantly spawn more and more mobs on them. It's an easier tidbit of advice to say "never ever stack encounters" than it is to say "be very careful of the specific types of mobs stacked closely together, as some individual mobs may cause certain unintended difficulties that could make it near or totally impossible for some classes to complete."

Also, if you're using optional difficulty routes intended for groups which are clearly defined, and solo players are griping about the difficulty, that's their issue, not yours. So see, it's complex. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    anrix2 wrote: »
    ... Easy melee encounters may have no HP but they hit like a truck, ...

Truth revealed.
  • Options
    tarrockatarrocka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zbkolde wrote: »
    Is it incorrect to kinda trust Cryptic's judgment of what's easy, standard, and hard?

I suspect that many Authors have played through their missions using the limited Class / Level ranges available within the Foundry itself and then determined that it was 'too easy'. One way to make the encounter more difficult is to use multiple groups (i.e. stacked encounters) but, as most here are suggesting, this is a misrepresentation as the Foundry's Class / Level ranges don't span the entire breadth of possibilities.

Furthermore, I would suspect that many novice Authors also just add more encounters (stacked or otherwise) to lengthen their missions to obtain the minimum 15 minutes play through -- this may work but as the encounters become more difficult due to level scaling whom knows how much longer it could add.

Be it Cryptic's judgment or the player's -- how do you (or would you) define the difference between an easy, standard or hard encounter?
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    tarrocka wrote: »
    I suspect that many Authors have played through their missions using the limited Class / Level ranges available within the Foundry itself and then determined that it was 'too easy'. One way to make the encounter more difficult is to use multiple groups (i.e. stacked encounters) but, as most here are suggesting, this is a misrepresentation as the Foundry's Class / Level ranges don't span the entire breadth of possibilities.

Furthermore, I would suspect that many novice Authors also just add more encounters (stacked or otherwise) to lengthen their missions to obtain the minimum 15 minutes play through -- this may work but as the encounters become more difficult due to level scaling whom knows how much longer it could add.

Be it Cryptic's judgment or the player's -- how do you (or would you) define the difference between an easy, standard or hard encounter?

Most yes. Though difficulty sliders solve your troubles. (Perhaps with a good tooltip if needed.) For example, my quest, Riddles in the Dark - On the final optional boss battle, I've added a slider ranging from No difficulty, Normal, Hard and Extreme. (And Extreme carrying not only more mobs but they combo together and are intended for three or more players to handle.)

There are spawn triggers within the spawn triggers in that fight. (I have duod it with my Trickster Rogue, with another Trickster Rogue. But the fight is rough/really hard with only two people. Though an informative warning does follow.)

The Hard one is leagues away from Extreme, but gives a duo a decent challenge.

The normal one will give a soloplayer a decent challenge.

The thing with sliders atm is that they do need you to dubble the work or more with encounters. But that isn't much compared to what you can burn through placing details and such.

Edit: And add to this, alot of playtesting. The only way to know for certain, play your maps again and again and again, then bring a friend with you and run it. - Because after awhile you get author blindness lol, and you will miss details.

Just my two cents :3
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013

I haven't really tinkered with too many of the encounters, but from what little experience i have...

The easy encounters have 3 or 4 mobs, which have lower hit points, and basic skills, no special powers that do higher damage or knockback, stuns, et cetera.

The standard encounters have one mob that has higher hit points, and has special powers that do higher damage or some such. Sometimes they also have a couple of lesser friends with them, that just have the basic skills.

I don't really know what's in the hard encounters, as i haven't personally used any. I'm guessing either bigger/stronger mobs with more hit points, or more than one of the stronger mob from the standard encounters, and probably more adds.
    I suspect that many Authors have played through their missions using the limited Class / Level ranges available within the Foundry itself and then determined that it was 'too easy'. ...

Many do, but not all. My main character is a level 60 Cleric. I kinda figure if she can do it, everyone can do it. Though, to be honest, sometimes i still get comments that my standard encounters are kinda tough.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zbkolde wrote: »
    I haven't really tinkered with too many of the encounters, but from what little experience i have...

The easy encounters have 3 or 4 mobs, which have lower hit points, and basic skills, no special powers that do higher damage or knockback, stuns, et cetera.

The standard encounters have one mob that has higher hit points, and has special powers that do higher damage or some such. Sometimes they also have a couple of lesser friends with them, that just have the basic skills.

I don't really know what's in the hard encounters, as i haven't personally used any. I'm guessing either bigger/stronger mobs with more hit points, or more than one of the stronger mob from the standard encounters, and probably more adds.

Many do, but not all. My main character is a level 60 Cleric. I kinda figure if she can do it, everyone can do it. Though, to be honest, sometimes i still get comments that my standard encounters are kinda tough.

The Nasher Rebel Recruits have a AOE damage/Insane damage buff in one go. I learnt this the hard way. Easy isn't always Easy.
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    The Nasher Rebel Recruits have a AOE damage/Insane damage buff in one go. I learnt this the hard way. Easy isn't always Easy.

Ah, you're right, i use those. There will be one or two of them that read a scroll that does an aoe attack. But it doesn't seem to do much harm though, never had any trouble with them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    Here is my .02 on stacked encounters.

Do it, it's your quest. I didn't stack my encounters for fear of bad reviews. Then, saw a group go through my quest and just destroy it. So I stack some encounters, not many, just in some optional areas, and three main areas. Tough? Yes, but then I see people soloing it.

Play to 60 on a GWF. I have, and it's just not fun to play these types of quests.

Difficulty sliders seem to be a decent solution since mob difficulty is a subjective preference. I threw one in Agent 34 and it seems to work ok for groups and such. And there's always crazies (OP classes, etc) who say that is still not hard enough, etc.

That said, I've started and abandoned beta quests because they're too hard, but I've never left because it was too easy.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent