test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm the only one or the one of the few?

cwair01cwair01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 76
edited June 2013 in The Temple
Who still think the Clerics are perfectly playable after patch?

I mean sure, we could use some boosts in certain areas but, what the hell i like to have a challenge when i play.
What's your view on this and please don't flame or troll i want to hear rational opinions!
I'm always friendly and will be happy any of your inquires via pm!
However i'm not a part of PWE and can't handle any questions regarding your personal details or account.
Please respect the forum ToS and keep a nice manner towards your fellow adventurers!

| Half Elf - Cleric | Good reading for Clerics |
Post edited by cwair01 on

Comments

• aphasiaaphasia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They are playable, though a boost in our dps couldn't hurt :P
  • kurahavikurahavi Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2013
    Imo before the patch DC was a lot harder to play, now you cannot anymore do anything besides healing. DC cannot anymore carry the team, meaning if you have bad players, there is not much you can do to help them, even if your own skills are godlike. In my opinion this is the worst change, the success of a run is hardly depending on the skills of the cleric anymore. Also I believe that the difference between a good cleric and a bad one is a lot smaller than what it used to be, unlike other classes you can see when someone is doing subpar job and when someone isn't.

As for playable, yes cleric is still playable, I just personally find playing cleric rather dull. This might change when Gauntlgrym comes out

Edit: Honestly what I think would make DC playing really interesting is by giving a skill that gives lets say for example 5k temp hp for 2 seconds with 5-7 second CD. An encounter like this would really require a lot more from cleric when the cleric have to predict the attacks and proactively instead of reactive healing. Sure AS and FF are kinda proactive ones, but still... a lot of that healing goes wasted if you use it proactively.
    edited June 2013
    kurahavi wrote: »
    Imo before the patch DC was a lot harder to play, now you cannot anymore do anything besides healing. DC cannot anymore carry the team, meaning if you have bad players, there is not much you can do to help them, even if your own skills are godlike. In my opinion this is the worst change, the success of a run is hardly depending on the skills of the cleric anymore. Also I believe that the difference between a good cleric and a bad one is a lot smaller than what it used to be, unlike other classes you can see when someone is doing subpar job and when someone isn't.

As for playable, yes cleric is still playable, I just personally find playing cleric rather dull. This might change when Gauntlgrym comes out

Edit: Honestly what I think would make DC playing really interesting is by giving a skill that gives lets say for example 5k temp hp for 2 seconds with 5-7 second CD. An encounter like this would really require a lot more from cleric when the cleric have to predict the attacks and proactively instead of reactive healing. Sure AS and FF are kinda proactive ones, but still... a lot of that healing goes wasted if you use it proactively.

With the way mobs spawn during boss fights i'd rather have a good reactive heal than a proactive one
  • cwair01cwair01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    Well honestly, pvp wise.. a cleric CAN carry a team if they just have a good ordination.
    Not becuase of damage or outhealing, but becuase of that little extra support who makes the team shine overall
    I'm always friendly and will be happy any of your inquires via pm!
    However i'm not a part of PWE and can't handle any questions regarding your personal details or account.
    Please respect the forum ToS and keep a nice manner towards your fellow adventurers!

| Half Elf - Cleric | Good reading for Clerics |
  • mex3mmex3m Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Clerics are more than fine, every class can use changes here and there but right now we don't really have that much to complain about. T1's and T2's are challenging and not a walk in the park anymore, it takes a little more game sense to know when to use AS and when to use your other abilities during the downtime, no longer is it all about 1 skill and that is always a good thing.

Something everyone should always remember is that the loudest people complaining are often not the ones people should be listening to.
  • daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cwair01 wrote: »

I mean sure, we could use some boosts in certain areas but, what the hell i like to have a challenge when i play.
    What's your view on this and please don't flame or troll i want to hear rational opinions!

It's not really a question about being playable or not. Technically, yes, it is playable both in PvE and PvP.
    The real question is: Is it still fun?

For me, the answer so far is a resounding "No", especially where PvP is concerned.

We are a lot more limited in our selection of powers. There are frequent times and situations where our group will simply need to take care of themselves, because we lack the tools to keep them alive. And as for PvP? Really, how much more gimp could a class get?
  • spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm not really finding it too much different, with the agro changes I don't have all the mobs on me all the time, most of them are on the GF or GWF who can take that kind of damage easier so it just seems easier to keep the group healed up not to mention mitigate damage when AS is down, daily is perfect for this, but FF seems capable of doing it on it's own most time. I tend to use HW on final bosses since there's usually more ads, people moving around more, kiting, etc. Also good for pulling agro off Rogues (like Kurrandax and Spellplague) I'm still running with my old pre patch set up (usual heroic feast, 1 pt in rising hope, enduring relief, benefit of foresight, invigorated healing, moontouched, righteous rage, ethereal boon) probably won't respec until after the 20th.
    T2's are just as easy if not easier as they were. I haven't done spider yet and CN seems fine, although I've just done first two bosses. In terms of PVP..pugs are pretty bad bc everybody just runs around helter skelter and I have no protection or nobody to support half the time, with a premade or with friends it seems fine, maybe not the best, but perfectly playable, and I can still be the deciding factor because of mitigation/healing even with subpar dmg.

After saying all that there are a few things I'd love to see for Cleric. More options for encounters since currently it's pretty much AS, SB and then spell of your choice which for most people comes down to FF/HW. Reduced CD on BOH (maybe a bit more heal too) honestly this wouldn't be so bad with less CD, especially if feated and for procing linked spirit...More ways to gain divine power. Currently it always seems like a battle to gain divine power and that's with 14 feat points for DP regen...I don't see how people manage to run setups without righteous rage and ethereal boon. Using bountiful fortune over holy fervor is just a big loss, even vs healores lore it's a bit of a loss.
  • gtxinsanegtxinsane Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nothing has changed. It's still playable, arguable much more so even. The job is easier now since you don't have too much aggro (slotting in soothe or having battlewise basically removes ALL aggro on you as far as I can tell) , and there-in lies the problem: It's not fun anymore (unless your style of play is healbot [3 heals slotted = healbot], hats off to you sir).

No more timing when to stop for skills since the whole dungeon is out for your a*s, no more "what skill do i use for a 3rd?" (i mean, i'd want other skills to produce AP as efficiently as sunburst, since it's arguably more of the must have now than Astral Shield), no more dodging 5 reds. It was tedious back then, maybe too tedious, but now it's just too easy.

However, I'm having fun with DOT cleric in PvP. It's not fun when you're a dedicated healer, but it is fun when you see people just plop to the ground with 30k+ damage from a combination of dots.
    Gabriel Angelfire - Devoted Cleric // Karguk the Impaler - Great Weapon Fighter // Zephalyne - Control Wizard
    PVP: How to make your life less miserable as a Devoted Clerics -- Still in it's Unfinished Glory
    Dragon
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Playable? Yes. Fun? No.

This patch just showed how you either have AS or you suck. It emphasized how bad clerics are outside of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zephryl1zephryl1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 220 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The patch did 2 things.

1) It brought Devoted Cleric more in line with how it should be, in the sense you have to use more than Astral Shield to heal.

2) It brought Devoted Cleric more out of line with how it should be, in the sense you can no longer "Fill the cracks" in the party like you're meant to, you need 3 heal Encounters on or you're not doing your job. Yes, you can keep people alive with just Astral Shield and Sun Burst, however your job is also to be able to keep things together when screw ups happen. If you don't have a third heal slotted, any screw up by anyone has a much higher chance of resulting in a wipe.

Actually, I tell a lie, it also pretty much ruined them in PvP. You can have fun as a DPS build, but you've got to live with that voice in the back of your mind going "If you were any other class they'd be dead now".
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    daervon wrote: »
    It's not really a question about being playable or not. Technically, yes, it is playable both in PvE and PvP.
    The real question is: Is it still fun?
    zingarbage wrote: »
    Playable? Yes. Fun? No.

Agree. I'm pretty much done with this game, it's just terrible idea after terrible idea being implemented into the patches, and although they ask for feedback, they ignore most of it anyway. I can solo heal everything still after the patch, but (especially after the BoP patch), why would I even want to?

I wanted to like this game, I really did. DnD is one of my favorite past-times. But this company has so horribly ****ed up this game, it's just not worth supporting anymore, for me. Good luck to all of you that keep playing.
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its actually much easier to play as a cleric now, but i must say... one cant always be lucky to find a good group. A lot dont even know when to dodge or have a survivability skill on.

But if you get a bad team from pugging, youre gonna get screwed. Unlike before when I agro all mobs and somehow control them; all i needed to heal was myself. Now its a bit hard to communicate "hey that target has FF dont push it too far" or even Get out of red, specially when blue circle is off.
  • faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ever since the patch I've been trying to find a way to get astral shield off my encounter bar. I'm sick of everyone being so reliant on that one skill!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yes, of course they are still playable...just boring as H#ll if you group.

Edited to add: A single target, easy to target heal would go a long way towards improving the fun of playing this class. You know, like other games where you can either select someones name to heal, or push a button that healed that person.

But I realize that this is how Cryptic makes money.
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Agree. I'm pretty much done with this game, it's just terrible idea after terrible idea being implemented into the patches, and although they ask for feedback, they ignore most of it anyway. I can solo heal everything still after the patch, but (especially after the BoP patch), why would I even want to?

I wanted to like this game, I really did. DnD is one of my favorite past-times. But this company has so horribly ****ed up this game, it's just not worth supporting anymore, for me. Good luck to all of you that keep playing.

Cheers Deistik,you've been a great influence and inspiration to many in Neverwinter.While it's sad to see you've moved on,eventually we all do at some point,so I wish you all the best and just as important much fun in whatever you decide to persue in the future.
  • barkingmadly1barkingmadly1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have lost interest in playing cleric its no where near as fun to play as it was , when people stop playing the healer class people then cant find groups and everyone ends up loosing interest in the game.
    This wont be the first mmo to die because no one wanted to play a healer , part of this games success was due to the fact people could always find a healer to group with because playing a healer was fun imo this has changed , I for 1 have lost interest in my cleric since the patch and notice that its getting harder to find a healer or a group on my rogue , when standing around lfg becomes the game experience the game is in big trouble.
    edited June 2013
    I have lost interest in playing cleric its no where near as fun to play as it was , when people stop playing the healer class people then cant find groups and everyone ends up loosing interest in the game.
    This wont be the first mmo to die because no one wanted to play a healer , part of this games success was due to the fact people could always find a healer to group with because playing a healer was fun imo this has changed , I for 1 have lost interest in my cleric since the patch and notice that its getting harder to find a healer or a group on my rogue , when standing around lfg becomes the game experience the game is in big trouble.

I guess there is no real way to stop the boredom unless they totally revamp the game :P
  • azrael39azrael39 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cleric is much harder to play now. Team wipes are happening all the time when Astral goes down. I am a 10.5k cleric have completed everything in T2 numerous times and now I get blamed for every wipe. I get all the blame. AS nerf sucks. Cleric class in general sucks because there is no possible way to play the class without using AS. Aggro sucks in this game. There are way, way to many adds in this game. What is the use of having Divine Power and be able to LOS heal with it if a tank can't hold the Aggro of all the incoming adds. The balance in this game has been thrown way off all of a sudden and it's not fun at all to play DC anymore. I run all three skills as Heals plus I have armor and Heaven in my dailies and it's not enough to do Spell Plague. I'm really upset.
  • g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If Cleric meant to be a support for party then remove AS and place a party buff. Let's say a party buff with increase in defense and healing every 3s.
  • sylvermarkesylvermarke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I used to really enjoy DC in PvP - but now, it is an exercise in frustration. After this patch, er nerf, AS is worthless and everyone knows it. It used to be that a DC could help hold a point until further help arrived - now it's like flies on honey as soon as a DC hits the field... you're dead in seconds and nothing you can do about it.

Don't do pug dungeons anymore either - as many have said, DCs now carry all the blame when there's a wipe and it's not because of the DC, but the change in game mechanics.

DC is simply no fun, gimped in PvP and pointless in dungeons.

Ok, time to go play Ranger instead. Too bad really - I always love to play clerics in every game... until now. =/
  • vmlinuxvmlinux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I mean sure, we could use some boosts in certain areas but, what the hell i like to h a challenge when i play.

I have run 2 dungeons post patch. 11.5 gs so I used to run a bunch. Now I might log in and try and find a foundry to play or something once a week and see if they have unboned the cleric. This was the first game I didn't feel like a healbot as a cleric. Now that is all a cleric can hope to be. Lame and boring. PvP isn't even any fun post patch since I have no surviveability and assists are largely gone.

Its like they saw too many clerics and just did whatever it took to get most of us to quit. It has pretty much worked. I'm going to hit the web to see if there are any new fun games out lately.
  • valdavenvaldaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are clerics playable? Yes

Who gets blamed now if others can no longer pull their weight? Cleric

Has anything changed? No
  • jpar1jpar1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank god I haven't spent any money on this game. Game is uninstalled. This is the only game where the healer of the game receives a -40% healing done to him/herself, it really boggles the mind. Anywho ill be going onto bigger better games, since cleric was the only class I planned on playing and seeing how they manage to make it less and less fun every patch, I won't waste my time here.

Cheers
  • vmlinuxvmlinux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I also have to agree with diestik, CAN I still do all the PVE content, absolutely. It's not even that hard as long as you have a GF, of course I could only stomach 2 dungeon runs post patch as a healbot no longer able to do anything else, so I don't have a good review on all of them as far as difficulty.

Is it fun? Heck no, it's not fun at all. The only thing I've found in the game that is remotely interesting post patch is the foundry because I like interactive stories. In fact, I never did any foundries pre-patch because the rest of the game was so much fun I just never got into them, I only started getting into foundries a bit because the rest of the game is so boring now and was trying to find something redeeming. Those are the only thing that kept me from ragequit deleting.

As for PVP people are starting to complain when clerics even join, where they used to be exited when they got a good DC interested in supporting teammates on their team. Now you are better than an empty slot, worse than anything else.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well honestly, pvp wise.. a cleric CAN carry a team if they just have a good ordination.
    Not becuase of damage or outhealing, but becuase of that little extra support who makes the team shine overall

There won't be any support at all nor heals , you only need 1 good rogue on you and you're done or your soulforged is done and you have to step back while the rogue will still be in stealth . The only "shine" which involves this situation is your screen blinking red from the loss of HP and eventually your soulforged IF it procs IF it's not too late already :D
  • ariliopluthiariliopluthi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Chiming in to say that I agree with you; the sky hasn't fallen just yet. I actually find my cleric MUCH simpler to play than I did before the patch, when I was healing and tanking and kiting. Now I actually get kind of bored just healing/dpsing without having to dash around like a maniac. Kurahavi has a point that it is harder for us superhero clerics to carry mediocre teams and that's a bit of a bummer. lol
    edited June 2013
    Chiming in to say that I agree with you; the sky hasn't fallen just yet. I actually find my cleric MUCH simpler to play than I did before the patch, when I was healing and tanking and kiting. Now I actually get kind of bored just healing/dpsing without having to dash around like a maniac. Kurahavi has a point that it is harder for us superhero clerics to carry mediocre teams and that's a bit of a bummer. lol

The cleric is much more simple to play, and boring. Boring means it is not fun, not fun means clerics are quitting in droves.

There are two types of people that are complaining. One is the group that is having trouble actually healing, and that is mainly due to their crappy group more than anything. The other group is complaining because even if you can manage healing fine, the cleric has become lame beyond lame to actually play.
  • xouk87xouk87 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2013

No he cannot, if the group is bad, you are screwed . End of story. If a team has a good coordination its a good team and they do not need to be carried, if they dmg is low however even with the coordination there is little cleric can do ( hallowed ground only i guess cos encounters are all heals)
  • jackmeister6969jackmeister6969 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    I guess so. We used to be the tanker/healer and lurer pre patch. Kiting a ton of adds was fun.
  • soiledostrichsoiledostrich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

/fewlikereallyfew