test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New profession: Alchemy!

jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=921051

Aight, this new profession sounds very cool. Only negative thing that came to my mind... is gold going to be nearly worthless after this profession hits live servers?

I mean, then only one you can't craft are the med-kits and profession assets (tools etc.)

Give as gold <> AD exchange, please.

Discuss.
Post edited by jipatsu on

Comments

• bladesnifferbladesniffer Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm more concerned about the line, "Are you already an expert on the five existing professions? Take on Alchemy..." Does this imply we must become expert in everything else to unlock it? Or does it just mean that if we're looking for something new to do, now there's alchemy? Because I'd have worked on it from the start if I could, bypassing all the others.
  • clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, if Alchemy is a valid way to make healing pots, then gold will become even more obsolete than it is now. Really wish they would just add a gold option to the AH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krakenaznwkrakenaznw Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, if Alchemy is a valid way to make healing pots, then gold will become even more obsolete than it is now. Really wish they would just add a gold option to the AH.

That alone wouldn't change the fact that gold is worthless. A gold AH does nothing if there's still nothing worth spending gold on. For starters they really need to make identify and recall scrolls available for gold.
  • darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do not want a gold option on the AH, I want more things for gold from merchants. Such as improving mounts or companions. Right now the improvements are so worthless. It is cheaper to exchange AD to zen and then buy a horse for all your characters for half the price of upgrading a mount from rank 2 to 3 (Let alone from 1-2)
  • bellaralodunbellaralodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm more concerned about the line, "Are you already an expert on the five existing professions? Take on Alchemy..." Does this imply we must become expert in everything else to unlock it? Or does it just mean that if we're looking for something new to do, now there's alchemy? Because I'd have worked on it from the start if I could, bypassing all the others.

I think its unlocked when you have mastered all other professions, if thats the case... I need to get leatherworking up asap because its my last one.

It was however unlocked for me on the test server with only 4 max professions, so perhaps this is just a badly way to word it.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    On the preview server, it is unlocked normally. You don't need to master the other professions first.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I wouldn't worry about it. If it stays true to MMO norms, it will take almost as much gold to make a potion with Alchemy as it does to buy it from a vendor.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • bellaralodunbellaralodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    On the preview server, it is unlocked normally. You don't need to master the other professions first.

It would be for testing purposes, cant test something no one really has yet. However, I am still wondering if this is a master unlock profession requiring all 5 other professions to be maxed to unlock it. I was always planning on unlocking all the professions, but this puts a crunch on trying to max one more before alch. is released.

I want a Dev. clarification!
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. If it stays true to MMO norms, it will take almost as much gold to make a potion with Alchemy as it does to buy it from a vendor.

No gold need to make potions. I have tested it on test server since they added it. You will need lots of skill node drops and various potions (reflex, fort, etc) and perhaps some regular healing potions for misc. recipes. YOu will also need leather of all types.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

This is correct - it has been on the test server, for all to see, for about a week now,
    It differs from the other 5 in that you farm & create items to create an item for xp & possibly a new recipe, and there are few basic task, as far as I can tell.
    I've not got that far on the PTS, but if it's the same live (no reason it should not be) then it'll be just another profession to level when you want.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    The basic mats needed wood and leather. Also stuff like desert rose and dark clovers. It uses npc bought potions to make stronger potions (so I don't think gold is gonna be obsolete). The real money maker here will be dyes.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The basic mats needed wood and leather. Also stuff like desert rose and dark clovers. It uses npc bought potions to make stronger potions (so I don't think gold is gonna be obsolete). The real money maker here will be dyes.

Well, you can also make said potions. You don't need to buy them or find them as drops. Will cost some money for the mats though. Hope much depends on whether you need to refine the wood and leather into vitriol.
  • elahndraelahndra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One question....can I craft kits? please say yes <3
    edited June 2013

The big money maker will be the ability to craft the "raid flasks" and not dyes. Sure dyes are great :D I do love dyes... but when it comes to what is going to sell the most/first is those "raid flasks"
    edited June 2013
    elahndra wrote: »

It is possible, but I have not unlocked it... still trying to get all the recipes I can.
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jipatsu wrote: »
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=921051

Aight, this new profession sounds very cool. Only negative thing that came to my mind... is gold going to be nearly worthless after this profession hits live servers?

I mean, then only one you can't craft are the med-kits and profession assets (tools etc.)

Give as gold <> AD exchange, please.

Discuss.

Don't forget that you can allready "craft" chest with Leadership that can contain Healing Potions and Skill Kits. I do those tasks continuosly but it doesn't spare me from still buying the stuff in large amounts
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
    edited June 2013
    elahndra wrote: »

Not that I have seen and I got all the way up to level 20 in alchemy on the preview server.
  • jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    Don't forget that you can allready "craft" chest with Leadership that can contain Healing Potions and Skill Kits. I do those tasks continuosly but it doesn't spare me from still buying the stuff in large amounts

I have only got lower tier health potions from those leadership chest. No end game health potions or med kits so far. Skill kits comes in plenty quantity so I have had not any problems with those anymore. Only things I buy from the vendors for gold is those largest health potions and med kits. If with alchemy, you can create those health potions, as I said, it only leaves profession assets and med kits to be the only ones worth to buy for.

And I am not saying the alchemy profession is a bad thing. I think it is a great and it was a missing one (hopefully we can get a profession to make enchants someday too). All I am saying, is that they should come up with something to make gold not so worthless when alchemy hits live.

I have hoarded almost 90 gold pieces by doing nothing much for it and I pretty stocked up with everything I need and could buy with gold.
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2013
    There is no requirement to master any other profession before trying Alchemy.

Skill kits are not something that Alchemists can make. My characters use Leadership to acquire skill kits from chests.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    graalx3 wrote: »

Skill kits are not something that Alchemists can make. My characters use Leadership to acquire skill kits from chests.

What I'm more curious about is this: since the different Professions tend to lean toward a specific class in item creation, which shiny NEW class that will be introduced does the Alchemy profession cater to?

I LOVE MYSTERIES!

~For the answer, check back tomorrow~

[I expect the new race will be the vanilla Drow, but class is still a complete mystery.]
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    does this new system use the 'brown' items we have been finding like magic focus, religious tomes, inscribed rings... and so on? I have been saving them since i hear fo alchemy coming just in case...
  • cwylloggiacwylloggia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [I expect the new race will be the vanilla Drow, but class is still a complete mystery.]

I'm hoping for chocolate flavoured myself...
  • desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    does this new system use the 'brown' items we have been finding like magic focus, religious tomes, inscribed rings... and so on? I have been saving them since i hear fo alchemy coming just in case...

Not from what I have seen on PTS.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cwylloggia wrote: »
    I'm hoping for chocolate flavoured myself...

There IS such thing as "white chocolate" you know. LOL!
    @yyrkoonstyphoon: I dunno, religious tomes and "magic" are not really alchemy. Alchemy is more "illusion" and "potions" and stuff, you know: smoke and mirrors.

It was hinted that the new class will be a ranged class. So what class would rely on alchemy over pure magic? (It's been way too long since I've actually paid that much attention to D&D proper).

Either way, the alchemy idea sound a lot more fun that fabric weaving and plate-shaping.

EDIT: Okay, answering my own question from Wikipedia:
    As an Alchemist, your niche is as a supporting magic user. You also have the ability to throw large amounts of alchemical substances at people to damage them, but your primary tool are your spell bombs and resins.

Oooh... saved my fifth character slot for whatever comes our way tomorrow. If it's this, I'll definitely give it a go. (Though I think popular request is Ranger or something).
    edited June 2013
    How about poisons for... arrows ...
    edited June 2013

I prefer to get my skill kits in barrels, not chests. Also can you make the chests/barrels that come from leadership stack like most other bags/boxes you open?
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was hinted that the new class will be a ranged class. So what class would rely on alchemy over pure magic? (It's been way too long since I've actually paid that much attention to D&D proper).

you could also ask that about the ONE current skill interact that is already present, but there is no class accompanying it... nature. ( also the Ranger class is a confirmed future class, that would fit nicely into "nature skill" )

it seems to me the "profession" of alchemy, would gain it's mats from any of the current skill interacts, just like how you can get leather, or tailor, or ether metalworking profession mats from any skill interact.

if you wanted to talk "what class armor does alchemy make" I would have to say... dye, or all.

a Ranger could ether be a 2nd tailor ( padded armor ) or a 2nd leather ( studded leather ), like how Mailsmith has 2 class armors.
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2013
    I prefer to get my skill kits in barrels, not chests. Also can you make the chests/barrels that come from leadership stack like most other bags/boxes you open?

Doh! The things you learn reading the forums. Look for stackable chests and barrels in a future patch.
  • kobuirisgameskobuirisgames Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Doh! The things you learn reading the forums. Look for stackable chests and barrels in a future patch.

Oh thank goodness! It's annoying when I'm away from home and can't finish a leadership task because my bags filled up.
    Maturity, Fair Play, Family Friendly. Sound good? Apply today at www.guildmedieval.com

Guild Medieval Recruitment Topic
    edited June 2013

****, I should have mentioned this like a week ago. I had been wanting to stock up on barrels and chests for today when alchemy went live to try and get a head start on mats, but they took up so much space that I limited myself to just 2 days worth of tasks farming out the barrels.

Always the next time a profession is added.