What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Edit: Foundry Editing is back up!

Comments

• wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    angelllore wrote: »
    how exactly is this proving what you had stated original about
    "handful of quests get a thousand plays, about half of those authors are employees of Cryptic, or friends of those employees."
    that just seems to say the opposite

I'll break it down for you. I'm in the top 10%, because I've gotten close to fifty plays, but only the top 1% is getting over a hundred plays, and only a fraction of that 1% is getting over a thousand plays. The reason? The reward system encourages people to play the same quests over and over again. The only people trying quests that aren't featured/spotlighted are other Foundry authors, who make up about pretty much all of my plays. If you look at that 1%, you'll see a lot of Cryptic/PWE employees, and their buddies. The other 90% of players are struggling to get out of the For Review section which will literally crash your comp if you click that tab.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angellloreangelllore Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    I'll break it down for you. I'm in the top 10%, because I've gotten close to fifty plays, but only the top 1% is getting over a hundred plays, and only a fraction of that 1% is getting over a thousand plays. The reason? The reward system encourages people to play the same quests over and over again. The only people trying quests that aren't featured/spotlighted are other Foundry authors, who make up about pretty much all of my plays. If you look at that 1%, you'll see a lot of Cryptic/PWE employees, and their buddies. The other 90% of players are struggling to get out of the For Review section which will literally crash your comp if you click that tab.

mmm i can understand you point and i do thank you for further explaining it, he a question for you, to me it doesn't seem as much as the fact they are employes but the fact they are active, if you had a large group of friends would it not be possible to achieve the same result? example a guild of say 100 all who work together and are friends, one person post a foundry and tells the guild about it. u have the same effect do you not?
    edited June 2013
    mmm i can understand you point and i do thank you for further explaining it, he a question for you, to me it doesn't seem as much as the fact they are employes but the fact they are active, if you had a large group of friends would it not be possible to achieve the same result? example a guild of say 100 all who work together and are friends, one person post a foundry and tells the guild about it. u have the same effect do you not?

I'll answer your question. I joined the most popular guild for Foundry authors on here. I was one of the first to join. I answered questions for all my guild-mates, helping them work around the limitations of the Foundry, and reviewed their quests, generously giving out five star ratings. Then I published my first quest. Members of my guild started flaming me in every thread in which I tried to advertise it, calling me stupid, elitist, a jerk, etc. because my quest was admittedly too long for the average player to complete. I basically told them if they don't want to play it then don't, but don't come in my threads calling me names. I was expelled from the guild for "not responding well to criticism" when those trolls I told to bug off had not even played my quest. Not a single member of that guild has bothered reviewing any of my quests. Not even the two minute one. So um, yeah, I wouldn't put too much faith in the idea that being nice to everyone and joining a guild will make you popular and get you plays. I've had more success being an abrasive jerk, to be honest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Then I published my first quest. Members of my guild started flaming me in every thread in which I tried to advertise it, calling me stupid, elitist, a jerk, etc. because my quest was admittedly too long for the average player to complete. I basically told them if they don't want to play it then don't, but don't come in my threads calling me names. I was expelled from the guild for "not responding well to criticism" when those trolls I told to bug off had not even played my quest. Not a single member of that guild has bothered reviewing any of my quests. Not even the two minute one. So um, yeah, I wouldn't put too much faith in the idea that being nice to everyone and joining a guild will make you popular and get you plays. I've had more success being an abrasive jerk, to be honest.

That's horrible. In my guild we review each other's quests, even if we don't focus on that as a guild. And even if we're not impressed, we still rate each other's quests 5 stars to compensate for the 1 star jerk reviews out there. Just letting you know that all guilds aren't like that. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
    edited June 2013
    That's horrible. In my guild we review each other's quests, even if we don't focus on that as a guild. And even if we're not impressed, we still rate each other's quests 5 stars to compensate for the 1 star jerk reviews out there. Just letting you know that all guilds aren't like that. :)

Glad to know. I just fell in with the wrong crowd to start with, and it's left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I'll answer your question. I joined the most popular guild for Foundry authors on here. I was one of the first to join. I answered questions for all my guild-mates, helping them work around the limitations of the Foundry, and reviewed their quests, generously giving out five star ratings. Then I published my first quest. Members of my guild started flaming me in every thread in which I tried to advertise it, calling me stupid, elitist, a jerk, etc. because my quest was admittedly too long for the average player to complete. I basically told them if they don't want to play it then don't, but don't come in my threads calling me names. I was expelled from the guild for "not responding well to criticism" when those trolls I told to bug off had not even played my quest. Not a single member of that guild has bothered reviewing any of my quests. Not even the two minute one. So um, yeah, I wouldn't put too much faith in the idea that being nice to everyone and joining a guild will make you popular and get you plays. I've had more success being an abrasive jerk, to be honest.
    while i am sorry you had a bad experience, that still doesn't mean everyone will have that experience, my question was more along the observation that it may not be because they are company employes but they are all friends, while u had a ill experience with a guild that does not mean all guilds are like that, or all friends. to me it seems that is numbers that drives foundries not the relation ship to the company, and its just happens that the strongest numbers are employes or friends of employs. my question was would a large group of friends (guild or other wise) lead to the same result?
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And even if we're not impressed, we still rate each other's quests 5 stars to compensate for the 1 star jerk reviews out there.

And that's just as bad for the Foundry Community as the situation Wuhsin described.

When I published my 1st Foundry I went to my LotRO Kin-mates who were playing Neverwinter to ask them for reviews, because I know they know I wouldn't thank them for a dishonest 5* rating.

I'll take whatever criticism is levelled at my foundry, and be content that I'm capable of differentiating between the justified criticism and the griefers.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
    edited June 2013
    while i am sorry you had a bad experience, that still doesn't mean everyone will have that experience, my question was more along the observation that it may not be because they are company employes but they are all friends, while u had a ill experience with a guild that does not mean all guilds are like that, or all friends. to me it seems that is numbers that drives foundries not the relation ship to the company, and its just happens that the strongest numbers are employes or friends of employs. my question was would a large group of friends (guild or other wise) lead to the same result?

You know my experience, you know I'm skeptical. I'm sure it CAN happen, but most tight-knit groups of friends don't number beyond half a dozen people, and well, that's not enough to sky-rocket your quest to the top of the charts. I think it has to do with visibility mainly, then how you pitch your quest to others. If you have an interesting back-story, or some awesome screencaps, you can usually get at least a couple dozen reviews. That's great and all, but I don't understand how some of these mods can be so successful when they're not even advertising like the regular authors are unless there is foul play involved. I advertise for hours every day for weeks to get about fifty plays. This one guy hardly ever posts here, but he's an employee, and has thousands of plays practically over night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • casten24casten24 Member Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    You have got a lot of nerve. You want compensation for being denied what you were already doing for free. Someone points out your unreasonable demand and you call them names. If this was a subscription based game or if you had paid for a key, I could understand your sense of entitlement, but it is not. You are just being a jerk.
    Pot calling the kettle black? Seriously, you mock what he has to say with a sarcastic remark and then you jump on him for replying with his own bit of wit? Look another form of entitlement... "Hi, I'm Ovaltine, I'm the only one allowed to make sarcastic remarks. Anyone who doesn't like it will feel the wrath of my G rated vulgarities."
    Food for thought... Sarcasm never goes over kindly with people with whom you are not friends. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to use it in the future...
    The Portrait Gray Campaign
    Prologue: Fort Neverember
    NW-DL2RVQ54C
    Chapter 1: The Gray Portrait
    NW-DHGEFBMGD
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would rather they make both of them subscription based, or at least make you spend 60-100 bucks on a game key... Then I wouldn't have to put up with half as many smart-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people like you. :p

This.

I gladly paid full price for NWN, NWN2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout:NW, Half Life, Half Life 2 and Far Cry - mostly for the privilege to get my hand on the editors (I have not one of these ever played to the end credits because creativity always gets the upper hand). And I have invested in 5 different commercial editors as well over the last 10 years (or so).

I would gladly add another 50 bucks to these 1000+ to get rid of people telling us, that an FTP MMO can be as unreliably, bug-ridden, limited or simply crappy as the publisher wants just because the business model is F2P (got it? It's a business model, NOT charity ;))
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Glad to know. I just fell in with the wrong crowd to start with, and it's left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I think things will settle when the game has been out for a while. When people have done all there is to do they will look more to the foundry. Many people won't touch beta so there will be more users coming. In that time you can improve and any publicity is good as they say.

I think things will balance out over time and people that make good quests will be successful. That is my hope anyway. I only managed one night before it went down so have published nothing as yet. But I have found already that not only am I going to make quests but some of the quests I have played have been really interesting. I've only just scratched the surface but I have high hopes and now that it has been done other games will soon follow and make it even better.

Contrary to belief there are those of us that like mmorpg's but don't just like raiding and pvp and a set up like the foundry is ideal.
  • casten24casten24 Member Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    while i agree PW is not perfect
    This made me lol. Oh, the irony.
    The Portrait Gray Campaign
    Prologue: Fort Neverember
    NW-DL2RVQ54C
    Chapter 1: The Gray Portrait
    NW-DHGEFBMGD
    edited June 2013
    This.

I gladly paid full price for NWN, NWN2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout:NW, Half Life, Half Life 2 and Far Cry - mostly for the privilege to get my hand on the editors (I have not one of these ever played to the end credits because creativity always gets the upper hand). And I have invested in 5 different commercial editors as well over the last 10 years (or so).

I would gladly add another 50 bucks to these 1000+ to get rid of people telling us, that an FTP MMO can be as unreliably, bug-ridden, limited or simply crappy as the publisher wants just because the business model is F2P (got it? It's a business model, NOT charity ;))

Indeed. Please charge us to use the Foundry. I'm tired of the F2P crowd flooding it with crappy fifteen minute herpaderp AD dispensing hamster wheels. I'm tired of the F2P crowd telling me I'm entitled because I want the same kind of traffic in Foundry missions that games EASILY directed through their UGC sections over a decade ago. And yes, the game developers are fully capable of directing traffic, they're just doing their darn best to direct it AWAY from any Foundry quest that isn't their own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Brags about paying full price for Morrowind, yet overlooks the fact that as of this date Morrowind has over one thousand unresolved bugs that had to be fixed by the community and not the developers, who took your money and never bothered to fix their unreliably, bug-ridden, limited software.

/golfclap
  • tchupstchups Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand NOTHING! good job... 2 days, I guess?
    edited June 2013
    tchups wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand NOTHING! good job... 2 days, I guess?

Actually this is the third day. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chyzdadchyzdad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    looking forward to bringing some old school d&d to the game...some modified ravenloft is my idea. anyway please keep us posted....anxiously waiting
    edited June 2013
    Actually this is the third day. :(

this is so sad =(
    edited June 2013
    tchups wrote: »
    this is so sad =(

I'm a sad panda. u.u
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chyzdadchyzdad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm a sad panda. u.u

really....lol nice

they need to get this fixed asap
    edited June 2013
    I'll go ahead and post some good news since this thread desperately needs it. The new episode of Fate/Zero has just been dubbed. You're welcome. -goes to forget about the Foundry for a little while..-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, entire weekend of fail with no Foundry tools. Another argument to throw onto the heap for making the Foundry tools available offline.
    And that's just as bad for the Foundry Community as the situation Wuhsin described.

Our members probably only get a handful of reviews from other members compared to the dozens to hundreds of one stars with naive comments like "not enough loot". How is that bad? It's compensating for the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we get reviewed by idiots who don't understand that authors can't control loot and xp.

And we always give pretty good feedback for each other on how to improve our quests.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    Morrowind has over one thousand unresolved bugs that had to be fixed by the community and not the developers, who took your money and never bothered to fix their unreliably, bug-ridden, limited software.

But worth every cent I payed, just to spare myself dumbheads who'd otherwise told me not to complain about the bugs . That is the charm of games one actually pays for. If something is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, you are fully entitled to call it <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> :cool:
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • melanderimelanderi Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users, Silverstars Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Alas! My sadness is expansive- the foundry is still down.

But Sadness is weak to Hope Damage, and my hope that this will be resolved quickly is strong.

Thank you all so much for bearing with us while we work on this issue, and thank you as well for the awesome feedback.

We'll keep you posted as new information becomes available.

In the mean time, I'm writing out my next foundry mission on paper- including stick figure fight scenes!
    Pixilated Community Entity
    @Effreet in game
    Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. Learn them, Love them
    edited June 2013
    edited June 2013
    melanderi wrote: »

But Sadness is weak to Hope Damage, and my hope that this will be resolved quickly is strong.

I like the poem
  • cyguard1cyguard1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Alas! My sadness is expansive-

Not as expansive as ours luv. Thanks for the update though.
    Foundry Designs: Once a Dungeon Master, always a Dungeon Master.
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Thank you all so much for bearing with us while we work on this issue, and thank you as well for the awesome feedback.

We'll keep you posted as new information becomes available.

In the mean time, I'm writing out my next foundry mission on paper- including stick figure fight scenes!

I would love to see the stick figure fights scanned in and posted on the forums.
  • ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    casten24 wrote: »
    Pot calling the kettle black? Seriously, you mock what he has to say with a sarcastic remark and then you jump on him for replying with his own bit of wit? Look another form of entitlement... "Hi, I'm Ovaltine, I'm the only one allowed to make sarcastic remarks. Anyone who doesn't like it will feel the wrath of my G rated vulgarities."
    Food for thought... Sarcasm never goes over kindly with people with whom you are not friends. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to use it in the future...

You're right. I was a bit over the top with the sarcasm. I should stick to witless platitudes. Then I could brag on myself. It is straightforward, bold, and is the least effective way to enhance my virtues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • nieaniea Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Seeing as prior to the foundry being out of commission I could access it without being level 15, the first thing i would check would be whether or not the level limit had been mistyped into the code in the last patch. XD
This discussion has been closed.