test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Metzli's Dungeon DPS Guide

Comments

• bdschussbdschuss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What arbitrarity is saying makes sense.

Assume you have 100dmg, 50% crit, 80% severity base. Your dmg output would be 140 on average. If you increase your crit severity by 20% (now you have 80%+20%=100% severity), now on average your damage is 150. This is an increase in ~7% compared to your damage before adding 20% crit severity. You are stating this would add 20*.5 = 10% more damage compared to no enchant, which is incorrect. The difference is it doesn't add 20% damage to your existing crit severity damage, it just modifies it linearly as you state above... Where as a 5% mitigation debuff on the mob would directly increase your damage by 5%.

This all assumes that a 20% crit severity directly adds to your current crit serverity i.e. 80% becomes 100%, which was my understanding.
  • eikooneikoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited June 2013
    solsol1337 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know. I know you need at least enough recovery to cut off 2 seconds or so from your dazing strike. The Catspaw Style buff lasts about 6 seconds give or take. So 100% uptime on that would be good. You also need enough AP regen to be in lurker's pretty often. So....ever how many % CD reduction it takes to get dazing strike to 6 seconds is a good start. That is probably a lot.

since its 9 seconds (with 1024 recov) and you need 3 seconds more of reduce (another 1014 from swash reduce it to: 8,4 seconds) i would call it "impossible" without sacrificing ALL other usefull stats -> no arpen slots, nothing.
  • huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    on the recovery thing:
    i asked in the permastealth-thread, where x3lade has lots of recovery and INT for the reductions and even he only got it down to 7,6s, so 6s seems really impossible (though i think the debuff lasts 7s :P)
  • solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well the 6 second idea was just optimal. As in a way to get 100% uptime on that 10% damage buff. In all reality you probably aren't going to hit it on cooldown anyway. So I guess what is more important is getting AP regen sufficiently high.

@bdschuss Your explanation of that makes more sense. How arbitrary was explaining it did not sound like the same reasoning to me. However, you are both still wrong for saying that a GPF increases damage by 15%. It is not a damage reduction debuff, it's a defense debuff. That means that whatever you are applying the debuff to will lose less than 15% damage reduction unless it is past a specific threshold of defense. But it also means that if something has well above that threshold you could see more than 15% damage increase. I'd have to find someone who tested defense DR to see exactly what this number is.

However, without even grabbing any curve you can see it this way: for 15% of defense to equal 15% damage reduction, you'd have to have 100% damage reduction from defense. I don't think I need to explain why that isn't likely. So at no realistic point will plague fire's defense debuff translate to a flat damage buff. It's actually vastly less than that.

So to use some actual numbers, and this will actually overvalue plague fire by a lot, I get 15.1% damage reduction from 714 defense. So you can say that roughly 47 defense is 1% damage reduction at this point in the curve. 15% of 714 is 107.1 . So a GPF gives you roughly a 2% damage buff against me, an offensively built rogue. So how much defense do I need at this scaling for GPF to be a 15% damage buff? Well you'd need 1% of my defense to be 47 defense. In other words I'd need to have 4700 defense. So two things:

1. This is a very high amount of defense.
    2. There will be some strong DR making this number actually be even higher.

So we already have math showing that bosses have the highest damage reduction at 24%. BEST CASE SCENARIO for plague fire is that all of this damage reduction is from defense. In that case you'd get that they have 47*24 = 1128 defense. 15% of this is 169.2. So Plague fire is roughly a 3% damage buff.

So the facts here are that even in an ideal scenario plague fire's defense debuff is only a 3% damage buff in pve. And likely never going to be more than maybe 10% in PVP (if someone is stacking defense). None of this takes into account the new mechanics for defense debuffs when your armor penetration reduces the mob to 0 damage resistance, but I'd be willing to bet that defense is removed before armor pen now that it's working correctly.

Edit: A quick test on a dummy shows my 10% plague fire to give a 4% damage increase on a target with no armor. I do not have a GPF to test it, but I would bet it is 6% damage increase.

So, using your way to value vorpal, a regular vorpal is ~9% damage buff. Best case scenario, GPF is a 6% damage buff from defense reduction + the DoT. I don't recall the DoT ever accounting for 3%+ of my dps when I had a decent bleed rolling. But the point still is that at best GPF is roughly equal to regular vorpal.
  • huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    what could work for a 100% uptime is cycling dazing strike and blitz since both apply the debuff...though i dont know if the second cast just resets the debufftimer to 6 secs or if it does nothing as long the debuff from the first cast is still on...has to be tested
    edited June 2013
    but i guess it isn't worth having blitz in your bar for bigger fights.
  • thesakarithesakari Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey Sol, for trash mobs in dungeons what would you say is your typical routine? Assuming you're only worrying with damage. Would your encounters be Dazing Strike, Blitz, Shadowstrike? Do you typically run for the big guy and start flurrying him or do you go after the mobs that you can aoe with Blitz/Dazing Strike?

Thanks in advanced!
  • solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Typically I make sure to only group with competant CW's. So I use Dazing Strike, Wicked Reminder and Smoke Bomb. Wicked reminder/dazing can hit everything, and stun / weaken them.
  • bloodytrailzbloodytrailz Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm so much lazier ~_~
    I don't switch my skills for trash...maybe smokebomb if my cleric is maeh or my group is maeh (not to say i won't switch, it's just that i don't switch unless needed)

I usually just beeline for the bigger HP mobs and lock onto them and treat them like mini-bosses >.<
  • kurahavikurahavi Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2013
    I actually thought something which is most likely still a bug in the game, but it might affect with the scoundrel vs executioner build. I am not sure how Metzli executed the testings on the build, but if he used dummies there is one vital point missing, that is mobs having armor. What I mean by this is, when you do damage on a mob from 2 sources same time, the armor piercing kind of stacks, meaning if you do damage on a target when a bleed ticks, the bleed has actually armor penetration on it. Now to bring back to the point, during DF hits it is actually very likely to have that extra arp on bleed tick, but out of it, the flourish hits more often than first 2 strikes of DF, which means there is actually a possibility to have bleeds arp be higher with flourish than with DF.

Also the same thing applies for executioners, it might actually be the way to have highest dps as rogue.

A quick test, talking really small sample of something like 7 ticks of bleed, I didn't manage to hit even once the reduced arp on bleed during those ticks, where as during flurry hits it happens quite frequently. Still it doesn't mean that with proper timing and training it wouldn't be possible, but still I would say that for consistency this most likely puts DF even more ahead of SF.

Anyways I don't think I wanna bother doing any real testing with this thing, since it is most likely a bug in the game, which most likely eventually will get fixed.

Ps. I am pretty sure you can use path of blade for giving that extra arp for the bleed, which could make path of the blade a bit more useful.
    edited June 2013
  • kurahavikurahavi Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2013
    If you are following my guide you have enough ARP that the enemy effectively has 0 "armor" anyway.

True, but the bleed is still affected by armor, except if you slice in damage same time as the bleed ticks. It penetrates the armor of the bleed tick if you do damage at the same time as the bleed ticks, meaning you can increase bleed ticks damage by 22% with correct timing. On the other hand if you don't do the damage the same time, the bleeds damage will be reduced because of the armor regardless if you have arp or not.

In other words, bleed is not affected by arp, except if you dish some damage in at the same time the bleed tick happens. This would generally happen during duelist flurry hit, that increases the stacks, since flurry hit happens same time as stacks grow, but when it reaches max stacks, you can increase the arp to ticks by mastering the timing on attacks (if it even is possible to truly master it)

Edit: To clarify lets say 10 stack bleed is ticking 1k damage to dummies. If the same bleed would be ticking on a mob with 20% armor resist, and you would have max arp, the bleed would do 1k damage during DF hits and outside the damage would instantly change back to 800. Like mentioned before, I honestly believe this is actually more of a bug than actual intention.
  • mastoras78mastoras78 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Metzli after new patch SE become useless. Isnt it better to move 5 feat points from Devastating Shroud to Cruelty's Reward ? Does Cruelty's Reward stacks multiple times ? Or 10% less threat is the max we can gain ? I see a good synergy with Scoundrel's training if TR's can drop aggro of them. ty
    edited June 2013
    Ya I already pretty much never used SE anyway, so using it now is probably completely useless. A threat drop can potientially be useful so I should probably update the guide to reflect that.
    edited June 2013
    btw. i ran several dungeons switching scoundrel/executioner build over the last days and i cannot achieve anything comparable with the scoundrel build (regarding dps (overall might be close here and there, but in bossfights (cn last boss for example)) its not even close to the executioner one.

edit: would be interested in other players experiences

edit2: stats used for both speccs: 4478 power (+1014 from swash), 3800 crit (50%), 2548 arpen (24.1%), 1932 recov (+1014 from swash - so about 2946 recov (important for scoundrel)) -> full swash+ancient weps+ion stone.
    edited June 2013
    You were using Duelist's Flurry in both specs right? Duelist's flurry is most of the damage for either spec.
    edited June 2013
    edited June 2013
    Well maybe you were not getting crits then. I know when I tested it on dummies I got pretty comparable numbers. If anything on actual mobs they should be closer since scoundrel takes less of a hit by the bleed dropping/not critting.
    edited June 2013
    mh maybe (mostly tested in sp & cn endboss). guess i'll stick with exe for now (even if i like scoundrel).
  • djenghis1001djenghis1001 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2013
    I changed my encounters and daily and was in Spellplag nr 1 dps again. My group had 2xcw and 1 dc and 1 gwf.
    My encounters are now dazing strike/Blitz and lashing blade. Not using wicked reminder anymore because i think my armor penetration is high enough(ap now at 2567). And using now Lurkers and Whirlwind of blade. Not using Executioner anymore.
    I tried this only once and will do more runs this week.
    edited June 2013
    You realize wicked reminder has nothing to do with armor pen right? The debuff stacks into negative armor ranges. Also Wicked reminder is a small range aoe, it does tons of damage.
  • stardrinkrerstardrinkrer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've tried both Scoundrel and Executioner and it really does seem like Executioner is still better.

Even just looking at the differences in feats, it seems better.

Catspaw Style, Action Rush, Whirlwind Sneak

vs

Brutal Backstab, Critical Teamwork, Deadly Momentum, Overrun Critical. (Even Sharpened Steel if you feel like it).

So Scoundrel pretty much hinges on Action Rush allowing more frequent LA uses to make up for your lower baseline damage, and I just can't see it happening at 15% proc chance.
    edited June 2013
    Ya, I said executioner is still better. The point was that scoundrel is reasonably close now if you wanted to play it. It's less dependant on overrun critical or the bleed in general. I suppose you trade that off for action rush procs to some extent, but that's still a smaller part of overall damage then getting that really lucky bleed from executioner.
  • joyvinjoyvin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As for me Scoundrel>Execut. I play by human with roll 18 str 16 dex. In execut with my geer + stone i have 23% arp + 48% crit + 4k power. I try reroll in full str+ cha and go scoundrel(24str/18dex/18cha, i dont know is there any chance get better result by str+cha when creating charater). and i love it =)

Now i have only 8% crit lower.(for talent must be -9%, but in tooltip. i lost only 8%.. I try impact shot in pve and it was greate - 4 hit (from middle range if need)

in testing dmg i got almost same dmg as execute, sometimes little higher, sometimes little lower, but in total result - same.

But i have some + from this reroll -
    10) i can use SF except DF, so i feel free in party with 2 TR. in solo tr - my DF all the way.
    11) I like PVP>pve. And now, my main at-will in pvp much stronger tham early. Now use lurker is most interesting(i can kill 2+ targets) than SE-1shot(after patch it doesnt always 1shot GF/GWF).
    12) i have 4CHA and doesn't lost high STR. So + 4% CAdmg and + 4% pet stats(that + will grow with my gear. better pet gear =better profit from pets-stats.)
    signature.jpg
  • hann1bal13hann1bal13 Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Has there been any updates to your power allocation? I am wondering if tenacious is really necessary at all. I need to pull points to max my deft strike and sneak attack for pvp. Also, SA is VERY useful if you are running through trash in dungeons. Not necessary, but it sure is nice. I don't have enough GS for CN, but I have been able to do all the other dungeons so far. Every boss I am pretty much taking lashing/dazing, shadow strike, and impossible to catch. I have been trying to work wicked reminder in, but you just lose so much dps without impossible to catch and rogues are often the only person on the boss. Perhaps this is where tenacious comes in handy? Would just like to know if there is something I am missing that I will run into on CN that I haven't factored in, yet.
    edited June 2013
    What you're missing is that by not running Wicked Reminder you are straight up losing 20% dps. If you feel you absolutely must have impossible to catch (which you usually do not), then drop lashing/dazing from your bar and take wicked reminder. It may feel like lashing is doing a ton of damage because it can crit hard, but it's really insignificant compared to the dps bonus of wicked reminder.
    edited June 2013
    So I've moved on to the Dazing Strike, Lashing Blade, Wicked Reminder build. It suits my playstyle much more than having to worry with blitz and being forced to disengage my targets with the jump back in the animation. I never realized how much aoe WR actually was until I used it more in CN. If you have a good CW in your group you can always hit the max number of mobs with a WR + DS combo. Mucho fun, thanks again solsol.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've some testing with another TR and it seems that while the 10 stack is the limit, both rogues will get the damage from ticks if they've tagged the mob with DF at least in the Combat Log.

I didn't check if one rogue can maintain the stack and both will get damage ticks (so one could switch to SF potentially) or will second rogue lose the damage ticks after a while.

Edit: A quick test on a dummy shows my 10% plague fire to give a 4% damage increase on a target with no armor. I do not have a GPF to test it, but I would bet it is 6% damage increase.

So, using your way to value vorpal, a regular vorpal is ~9% damage buff. Best case scenario, GPF is a 6% damage buff from defense reduction + the DoT. I don't recall the DoT ever accounting for 3%+ of my dps when I had a decent bleed rolling. But the point still is that at best GPF is roughly equal to regular vorpal.

Actually GPF is 3% per stack. Normal is 2% per stack.

Single Stack GPF only:
    Your Cleave deals 1051 (1020) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result was 1050,6 for 3%)
    Your Cleave deals 1147 (1113) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result was 1146,39 for 3%)

Two Stacks GPF only:
    Your Cleave deals 1081 (1020) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result was 1081,2 for 6%)
    Your Cleave deals 1135 (1071) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result was 1135,26 for 6%)

Three Stacks GPF Only:
    Your Cleave deals 1194 (1095) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected result is 1193,55 for 9%)
    Your Cleave deals 1354 (1243) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected result is 1354,87 for 9%)

GFs also have two debuffs. Mark and Tide of Iron. Both are "Reduces/Lowers Damage Resist".

These two debuffs stack Additively (20% for ToI and 8%* for Mark).

ToI+Mark:
    Your Cleave deals 1507 (1177) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result is 1506,56 for 28%)
    Your Cleave deals 1251 (977) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result is 1250,56 for 28%)

If we add GPF...

ToI+Mark+GPF 3 stack:
    Your Cleave deals 1543 (1106) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result for 37% = 1515,22)
    Your Cleave deals 1752 (1256) Physical to Target Dummy. (Expected Result for 37% = 1720,72)

When I noticed these discrepancies I was puzzled at first, but it seems that the GPF (and a few other debuffs) are a different type.
    Probably because they reduce defense and not Damage Resist.

So applying some math we can see that 1543 and 1752 are expected results for (base+28%)+9%!
    (1106+28%)+9% = 1543,0912
    (1256+28%)+9% = 1752,3712

Now GFs also have a T1 Valiant Warrior's set that has a 25% chance to reduce targets defense by 450.

ToI+Mark+GPF3+Valiant 4pc.
    Your Cleave deals 1883 (1236) Physical to Target Dummy.
    Your Cleave deals 1736 (1140) Physical to Target Dummy.

From testing it's clear that the 450 defense debuff translates directly into 10% damage increase and falls into the same category of debuffs as Greater Plague Fire.

So Math would be (base+28%)+19%
    And this is backed by the results above:
    (1236+28%)+19% = 1882,6752 expected.
    (1140+28%)+19% = 1736,448 expected.

Also tested:
    Wicked Reminder falls under the same category as Tide of Iron / Mark (same wording "Damage Resist") for a +40%/48% total bonus.

Needs Testing:
    GWF: Student of The Sword debuff (Lowers targets Defense, falls into same category as GPF?)
    GWF: Mark (Different or same as GF?)
    CW: Ray of Enfeeblement debuff (Lowers "Mitigation"?)
    CW: Assailing Force feat in Thaumaturgy, ("Mitigation"? again)
    CW: Elemental Empowerment (Weaken target Defenses, so same as GPF?).
    CW: Chaos Magic - Chaotic Nexus ( "Mitigation"...)

* May be slightly higher, perhaps 8.1% or some smaller fraction.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • hann1bal13hann1bal13 Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    I have a tough time maintaining the bleed alone and I don't see how I can also juggle wicked reminder. I know it's possible but I'm unable to do both. Does anyone have tips or even better, a video, of how to do this on some of the t2 bosses?
    edited June 2013
    @hannibal - I will sometimes use stealth and apply the 3 stack WR especially if I have a lurkers up and I can manage it much easier then. I usually play with another rogue tho so we always help each other keep it at 5.