test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stealing During Trades

onejellydoughnutonejellydoughnut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am seriously sick of people declining removing and accepting a trade and you losing out on your item and not getting the original item in the deal, Happened to me not only half an hour ago.

Coal ward for 2x Jeweled Idol. Sounds legit? I put my item in he put his in, he accepted and as i clicked it he must of declined (luck of the draw?) then accepted and i lost the freaking ward.

Now after a quick zone message, he has ripped loads of people off this last week. When are we going to be able to get some action on this.

anyone else had this happen and had it resolved?

Cheers
Post edited by onejellydoughnut on

Comments

• arashiwatanabearashiwatanabe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    If the same guy is ripping people off, using zone chat to alert people will help solve the issue, or force a rename. Add him to your friends list with a comment to what he did, so regardless of him changing name, you can cuss him out every single time.
    Nobody on the server will ever want to have anything to do with pathetic <edited> like that.
  • onejellydoughnutonejellydoughnut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yeh i put it out there but its slogged with freaking spam. The most annoying part is after it happened i realized i skipped over the name the other day when someone claimed he is a scammer. But hey i put in tickets and ill put it up here.

<No Naming and Shaming Please>

If any of you get the chance get some payback, the Ward was only worth 90k but my sister just started and i was gonna buy her some gear
  • turkf54turkf54 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    I am seriously sick of people declining removing and accepting a trade and you losing out on your item and not getting the original item in the deal, Happened to me not only half an hour ago.

Coal ward for 2x Jeweled Idol. Sounds legit? I put my item in he put his in, he accepted and as i clicked it he must of declined (luck of the draw?) then accepted and i lost the freaking ward.

Now after a quick zone message, he has ripped loads of people off this last week. When are we going to be able to get some action on this.

anyone else had this happen and had it resolved?

Cheers

Yes, this has been an ongoing issue. It should be a simple fix for cryptic as other games make the trade window disappear when someone declines and the whole trade process has to start anew if they want to continue to trade. This seems to stop the issue as you described above.
  • nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yeh i put it out there but its slogged with freaking spam. The most annoying part is after it happened i realized i skipped over the name the other day when someone claimed he is a scammer. But hey i put in tickets and ill put it up here.

<name redacted>

Thieving SOAB.

If any of you get the chance get some payback, the Ward was only worth 90k but my sister just started and i was gonna buy her some gear

Naming and shaming isn't allowed on the forums, you'll want to edit that out before a mod has to.
    Not sure if there is much that Cryptic / PWE can do in situations like these, as they tend to only support trading via "official" channels (the Auction House).

Recoding the trade window may be an option, but there isn't any telling how long that will take...
  • neverhofneverhof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    There was a post a little while ago about someone doing the same thing. Name was a variation on the last part of the first name you showed(name censor incoming probably). Best place to warn people is in zone chat, just be careful though, some will pay attention and be grateful, others will be trigger happy with the report spam button if you say it too much. And you would get a 24hr chat ban.

Golden rule for any trade in this game seems to be; wait several seconds to see that the offered item remains in your trade window, if it requires any re-confirming or dissappears at any time then just walk away.

Jeweled idols seem to be a common currency for the FFS(fast fingered switch) trades, be especially wary around those.

We wouldn't want there to be 'any chaos':rolleyes: over it after all
  • laviumlavium Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    He got me, too. Gold for idols trade. Shaming the person in zone doesn't help. He can always do trades on a new account and mail himself the proceeds. The problem is the trade window. And this particular individual should be banned, and items refunded to those scammed.

Edit: I should add that I reported the theft. We'll see if PW/Cryptic can take some action, or help me regain my gold.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please remove that guys name so you don't get in trouble. Even though he has been REPORTED multiple times. (Slight variation I think) I just don't trade atm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Although this is unethical, I do not believe he is using any unintended feature of the game to do this. People simply are not paying attention to their trades.
  • neverhofneverhof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yep, they could do with the green border around confirmed items to be alot more prominent though.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It’s hard to stay mad at the devs as these issues pop up again and again. There are just so many of these common problems that never seem to be trouble in other games, that it seems overwhelming. How could the devs be expected to deal with them all, they are so numerous?

It does really spotlight the work of developers on other games though. If we never knew the work they did behind the scenes, the meetings they attended, the white boards they studied and the endless documents full of contingencies and flow considerations, we can see it all clearly now.

How many games have you played that had a working auction house, a mediocre economy, unbugged trade, functional quests, basic pvp and a currency system that didn’t exploit the players. I always just took these games and their staff for granted.

I never realized how truly and consistently exceptional those games really were…

until now.
    edited June 2013
    It's not about the green border. It's about him clicking accept, and as you're pushing accept he quickly moves his items out and clicks accept again. In less than a half a second. If there was a gray-out delay of the accept button after someone changed their trade, it wouldn't happen.
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    It’s hard to stay mad at the devs as these issues pop up again and again. There are just so many of these common problems that never seem to be trouble in other games, that it seems overwhelming. How could the devs be expected to deal with them all, they are so numerous?

It does really spotlight the work of developers on other games though. If we never knew the work they did behind the scenes, the meetings they attended, the white boards they studied and the endless documents full of contingencies and flow considerations, we can see it all clearly now.

How many games have you played that had a working auction house, a mediocre economy, unbugged trade, functional quests, basic pvp and a currency system that didn’t exploit the players. I always just took these games and their staff for granted.

I never realized how truly and consistently exceptional those games really were…

until now.
    No clue what mystically perfect game you're referring to...
    Every one I've played, issues like this one have been fixed after the fact.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Its probably worth reporting him. It may or may not be technically breaking any rules, but bear in mind that PWE doesn't technically need much of a reason to take action against someone. It is definitely behaviour that will damage other's enjoyment of the game.
    Screenshots, or even video if you can might help, but don't post them on the forum.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lavium wrote: »
    It's not about the green border. It's about him clicking accept, and as you're pushing accept he quickly moves his items out and clicks accept again. In less than a half a second. If there was a gray-out delay of the accept button after someone changed their trade, it wouldn't happen.

In other games, the moment an item is used (if it is consumable), moved, or sorted in the bag, the transaction should cancel automatically if one of the party already click "accept".
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    No clue what mystically perfect game you're referring to...
    Every one I've played, issues like this one have been fixed after the fact.

It’s true some of the games to which I refer aren’t even around anymore. Working systems are become dinosaurs not nimble enough to match the “release it broken and fix it later” soft launch model.

But you couldn’t pull trade shenanigans like this in CoH or EQ2 even when it came out.

Releasing games in some stage of recognizable completeness is a thing of the past clearly. But my regard for those golden age devs who did their work so you didn’t have to clean up behind them with sob stories and bug reports has certainly gone up.
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    It’s true some of the games to which I refer aren’t even around anymore. Working systems are become dinosaurs not nimble enough to match the “release it broken and fix it later” soft launch model.

But you couldn’t pull trade shenanigans like this in CoH or EQ2 even when it came out.

Releasing games in some stage of recognizable completeness is a thing of the past clearly. But my regard for those golden age devs who did their work so you didn’t have to clean up behind them with sob stories and bug reports has certainly gone up.
    You know CoH was a Cryptic game as well, right?

Can't really speak from experience on their trade systems though, didn't get around to playing either of those... I hopped around from WoW, AO, UO (way back when) and multitudes of FPSs...
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Noted. Not trading with strangers until this is fixed. AH only for me if I don't already know the person.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Bummer, maybe on a trade of one on one, we could get a confirmation window like RS, a window that shows the items being traded on text and with a disclaimer, like trades are final etc.
    edited June 2013
    I've traded with probably 15 people, all went ok except for this one guy. I'm not sure I'll stop trading completely, but I'll certainly keep transactions very, very small. I'm still waiting to hear back regarding the report.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it's a macro not fast clicking...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daggerintheheartdaggerintheheart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been varying my trade window accept click timing since UO ... some things never change :)
  • chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    First off. Never be the one who clicks accept first.

Secondly, always be aware of trading, as people will always be looking to scam in this way.

As for a FIX:

Aion has a cool *double* verification system that prevents something like this...Trades and the like were ALWAYS secure in Aion.

First off, you put in what you want. You can your trader confirm what it is you want. If *any* changes are made at this point, the WHOLE trade window disappears and goes away. There is no *changing it* and scamming people. If both of you agree to what it is you are trading, you both click 'OK' and then the items are traded. if someone clicks no, the trade window disappears. WIth this two step process there is NO WAY you can get scammed.
  • stubbedtoesstubbedtoes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    turkf54 wrote: »
    Yes, this has been an ongoing issue. It should be a simple fix for cryptic as other games make the trade window disappear when someone declines and the whole trade process has to start anew if they want to continue to trade. This seems to stop the issue as you described above.

Agreed. Many other games were forced to change the way trade windows function due to such scamming practices. The games I most noticed trade window scams were the Diablo series, but a few MMOs saw this happen as well. Scammers would wander around town and constantly open and close a trade window with another player by using a script that placed a valuable item in the window, which the scammer would constantly add and remove from the item slot. Most of them wouldn't respond to tells in any way, they simply walked to the next person and repeated the scenario. Eventually the players forced the issue on the developers.

These scams are why many players won't directly trade at all and only use the auction system.

Also, Cryptic, please give us a trade chat channel, it's difficult to carry on conversations in zone chat with all the trade spam.
    edited June 2013
    A confirmation window would fix the problem.
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can't a person just wait before clicking Accept instead of blindly clicking Accept immediately after the other person clicks Accept? The only way I can see this happening is if the victim quickly clicks Accept when they see the other person click Accept and the thief is planning on that happening and is immediately moving item out of trade and re-clicking Accept as fast as possible.
    edited June 2013
    That's how it works and then they ignore you. I am glad to see that others are as peeved as i am about it.

Sorry for the Name and Shame but I think (not that anyone's thoughts are worth anything on the interweb) in scenarios like this where they are a consistent offender that should be allowed.

Yeh i have been a long standing (still to this day) EQ player and never had an issue with that. I would of thought cryptic being the massive company it is would have done a similar trade window.

Oh well
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Every time I do a person-to-person trade, I do a 1-1000, 2-1000... 5-1000 count, slowly, before clicking accept. This gives me that extra second to consider the trade, and if the person is trying to scam me, they'll get antsy and cancel out or move out of range. If they do, I simply walk away without losing anything...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited June 2013
    I will take on board all of this advice as now you say it, he was doing all those things. backing away then coming back in and such. It just wrecks the experience for people.

If cryptic were not so (insert your word/s of choice here) with the patches and base game play this would be an issue from maybe the closed Beta, and would be fixed.

I am a massive NWN 1 & 2 fan and this game was my new hope...... Im just gonna try and warn everyone about this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Thanks guys
  • ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    there isn't any telling how long that will take...

This problem has been present in Cryptic's other games since 2009.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why is this even possible these days after all of these years of MMOs?

Other games have set it up so that once one person clicks "accept" it locks things in. If the other person does anything other than click "accept" the trade is cancelled and everyone keeps their original items/money. It's really that simple.

Why reinvent the wheel?
    L'sya Raiya
This discussion has been closed.