test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To all DC crying about patch...

ascaloganascalogan Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Are you kidding me? :)

Do you seriously think that healing in mmo should be done only by one skill, like it was before the patch? Did you really have fun while casting Astral Shield and watching your party to be healed? Well, I didn't, I was really bored of doing dungeons this way.

What is more, before the patch people were crying about all that mobs attacking us. Seriously? Spamming AoE heal all the time and then whining? :]

The DC gameplay just became like it should be from the beggining.

Why?

They reduced threat we generate on encounters. The more mobs we are fighting, the less threat is generated by healing. That means you can easily focus on building divine stacks. What comes with that, you can use other spells too!

You can eaily put Brand of the Sun on most of mobs, since they do not attack you like they used to.
Same about Astral Seal which can heal your group pretty well if there are a lot of mobs (aoe attacks).
Just put normal Astral Shield (yellow one) to reduce your threat generation even further. Cast divined Astral Shield when it's really necessary (and not at the beggining of the fight, still a lot of threat).
In the meantime help your group with divined Forgemaster's Flame, which is really good healing spell.
As the third spell use Sunburst or Healing Word, depending on the fight.

The key is to let your party heal themselves with Astral Seal!
Post edited by ascalogan on

Comments

• lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its just that 1 skill crowd whining.
    Group should have and use potions for spike heals, clerics mitigate and mainly heal reactively(astral seal), while astral shield, especially stacked allowed for ignoring dodges, taking it all out and get away with it. Well, not anymore, not sheeps under clerics protection will have to take care for themselves as well.
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thumbs up! hate those crying babies
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh and one more thing, Bots doesn't heal.
  • ascaloganascalogan Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I meant Astral Seal :P
  • gtxinsanegtxinsane Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    To all people who don't actually understand what the whining is about:

Do you seriously think that this changed everything? Astral Shield is STILL our best heal, bar none, which says A F*CKING LOT even if it was nerfed. From being slightly multi-dimensional to being completely one-dimensional overnight. Can we still do dungeons correctly and smoothly with the change? Yes. Can we do it without slotting our big 3? F*ck no.

I'm not mad about the changes. The only nerf Astral Shield got was it stacking (which was well deserved and shouldn't have made it in open beta to begin with). The duration wasn't supposed to go up so it was a FIX. I'm mad because the fix made us from glorified heal bots (at least I can save that 3rd encounter as a toolbox) to your stereotypical MMO "spam healz yo" class. Try finishing through T2 dungeons now without the combination of Astral Shield, Sunburst and Forgemaster's Flame/Healing Word/Bastion of Health. The change should've been just to remove every other skill we had because we won't use it past going to 60 anyway. Divine Glow got fixed (and it's a great fix mind you)! Big Woop. Need to slot that 3rd encounter with healz. Bringing anything other than heals to a dungeon is just dragging your team down. We're not a healer class, we're a leader class. We're supposed to be able to support the party by different means, not just healing. F*ck, the change doesn't even prevent parties from still using double clerics. Sure a good gf will suffice, but a second cleric will be much safer.

From "stand in blue circle yo", to "stand in blue circle, then hug this mob yo". Every. F*cking. Time. Now we just get to kite less.

Don't even get me started on PvP.

EDIT POST:

Throw us a bone, or something, PWE/Cryptik. Make us viable without using Astral Shield. I don't mean make us omgdpscleric, or lolnodmgimmortalcleric. Make it "fun" again. Is that too much to ask?
    Gabriel Angelfire - Devoted Cleric // Karguk the Impaler - Great Weapon Fighter // Zephalyne - Control Wizard
    PVP: How to make your life less miserable as a Devoted Clerics -- Still in it's Unfinished Glory
    Dragon
  • marzattakzmarzattakz Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    gtxinsane wrote: »
    To all people who don't actually understand what the whining is about:

Do you seriously think that this changed everything? Astral Shield is STILL our best heal, bar none, which says A F*CKING LOT even if it was nerfed. From being slightly multi-dimensional to being completely one-dimensional overnight. Can we still do dungeons correctly and smoothly with the change? Yes. Can we do it without slotting our big 3? F*ck no.

I'm not mad about the changes. The only nerf Astral Shield got was it stacking (which was well deserved and shouldn't have made it in open beta to begin with). The duration wasn't supposed to go up so it was a FIX. I'm mad because the fix made us from glorified heal bots (at least I can save that 3rd encounter as a toolbox) to your stereotypical MMO "spam healz yo" class. Try finishing through T2 dungeons now without the combination of Astral Shield, Sunburst and Forgemaster's Flame/Healing Word/Bastion of Health. The change should've been just to remove every other skill we had because we won't use it past going to 60 anyway. Divine Glow got fixed (and it's a great fix mind you)! Big Woop. Need to slot that 3rd encounter with healz. Bringing anything other than heals to a dungeon is just dragging your team down. We're not a healer class, we're a leader class. We're supposed to be able to support the party by different means, not just healing. F*ck, the change doesn't even prevent parties from still using double clerics. Sure a good gf will suffice, but a second cleric will be much safer.

From "stand in blue circle yo", to "stand in blue circle, then hug this mob yo". Every. F*cking. Time. Now we just get to kite less.

Don't even get me started on PvP.

EDIT POST:

Throw us a bone, or something, PWE/Cryptik. Make us viable without using Astral Shield. I don't mean make us omgdpscleric, or lolnodmgimmortalcleric. Make it "fun" again. Is that too much to ask?

You Sir, absolutely get it... Haven't had time to chat to the other guild cleric yet (we are only two out of 20) but it was painfully obvious from the testing that I did last night that we have been reduced to a simple, boring, rotation.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ascalogan wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? :)

Do you seriously think that healing in mmo should be done only by one skill, like it was before the patch? Did you really have fun while casting Astral Shield and watching your party to be healed? Well, I didn't, I was really bored of doing dungeons this way.

What is more, before the patch people were crying about all that mobs attacking us. Seriously? Spamming AoE heal all the time and then whining? :]

The DC gameplay just became like it should be from the beggining.

Why?

They reduced threat we generate on encounters. The more mobs we are fighting, the less threat is generated by healing. That means you can easily focus on building divine stacks. What comes with that, you can use other spells too!

You can eaily put Brand of the Sun on most of mobs, since they do not attack you like they used to.
    Same about Astral Seal which can heal your group pretty well if there are a lot of mobs (aoe attacks).
    Just put normal Astral Shield (yellow one) to reduce your threat generation even further. Cast divined Astral Shield when it's really necessary (and not at the beggining of the fight, still a lot of threat).
    In the meantime help your group with divined Forgemaster's Flame, which is really good healing spell.
    As the third spell use Sunburst or Healing Word, depending on the fight.

The key is to let your party heal themselves with Astral Seal!

no I don't believe clerics should have to rely upon one spell to heal, the problem is that the other heals are fricken weak and useless as heals (on divinity mode the single person over time heal failed to raise my cleric's health bar past 1/3rd after 3 back to back divinity casts and my cleric had to find a potion in PvP simply to heal up)... this game should fix it so clerics can heal well and not have to rely upon AS rather than gimping AS and taking it as well as the other healing spells out of some clerics line up (a cleric that doesn't heal or do much of anything else, lol... that's evidently what this latest patch has changed the cleric into)
    edited June 2013
    AS is a good defense buff, as a heal though it sucks now... before it would heal me entirely from nothing, now it fills perhaps 30%, as such I took it out of my selection... anyone who wants a 30% heal can use a potion as it isn't worth my divine power
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am a level 60 cleric with decent gear (mostly T2) - however, I am a very "casual" player, haven't found a guild I really like (if anyone knows of a casual/mature/PvE-oriented guild on Mindflayer feel free to let me know), and don't have a fixed group I play with - this means I participate in a lot of PUGs - some are good, while others are...well, you know...

Now, I don't really mind the removal of AS stacking - after all, I am usually the only cleric anyhow. What I do mind is the reduction in AS duration from 15s to 10s. With my cooldown at 14.5s, that means a 4.5s window of problems. Before I could manage to keep a mediocre PUG alive. Now I cannot.

Sure, this may not be a problem for people in fixed groups that have more experience in working together, but for me this takes all the fun away.

So, I'm not leaving, but I'm going to start leveling a second character - and see if things have changed in 2 weeks or so.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited June 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    I am a level 60 cleric with decent gear (mostly T2) - however, I am a very "casual" player, haven't found a guild I really like (if anyone knows of a casual/mature/PvE-oriented guild on Mindflayer feel free to let me know), and don't have a fixed group I play with - this means I participate in a lot of PUGs - some are good, while others are...well, you know...

Now, I don't really mind the removal of AS stacking - after all, I am usually the only cleric anyhow. What I do mind is the reduction in AS duration from 15s to 10s. With my cooldown at 14.5s, that means a 4.5s window of problems. Before I could manage to keep a mediocre PUG alive. Now I cannot.

Sure, this may not be a problem for people in fixed groups that have more experience in working together, but for me this takes all the fun away.

So, I'm not leaving, but I'm going to start leveling a second character - and see if things have changed in 2 weeks or so.

is your second character going to be a cleric, lol... cause its almost the same thing as clerics leaving this game
  • gtxinsanegtxinsane Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    To lay it down to people, let's remove one defining skill for each class (class mechanics excluded: arcane mastery, mark, unstoppable, stealth) and see how they do without it:

Control Wizards (Arcane Singularity [Daily] - can be chained if you build for it, no AoE limit, clumps up sh*t together, arguably and single-handedly, best control skill in the game). Oppressive force is actually good (just that compared to singularity, it sucks), and you can still slot Arcane Entangling Force/Icy Conduit, Icy Terrain, Steal Time to control properly. Can still keep that 4th encounter free if needing more dps, more control, or debuff. Can spec for DPS in PvP.

The Trickster Rogue skill set is so diverse that they don't have 1 skill that define them. These guys can tank/off-tank (ITC, Smoke, plethora of dodges from class/encounter), and still deal dps. And they're **** good in dealing dps. While a majority of their damage is from bleeds, they'll still do pretty good without it. Shocking Execution took a hit but that just meant that Lashing Blade out of stealth became better.

The Guardian Fighter is also another well done class which it's only downfall was not being able to take aggro properly, now fixed of course. There is absolutely no one skill that defines them (barring block, but it's their "dodge", and mark is just spread across a lot of their abilities). These guys can dish out DPS no problem, tank, even when built for the other. Knight's Valor is a great party skill, but they won't be completely useless without it as they can mitigate the damage by actually tanking, which they can actually do now.

The GWF is another class that has problems, but at least it isn't defined by one skill. These guys can off-tank, deal ok single-target/aoe damage, do a fair bit of control, etc. The GWF is the class that can actually slot anything and there-in lies its problem: Jack of All Trades, master of none (which was supposed to be master of trash clearing).

Devoted Cleric (Astral Shield, Damage Mitigation and Heal [if divine] in one spell), take that out and what do we have? Can we still heal the party reliably? Maybe (Forgemaster Flame, Sunburst, Healing Word, Bastion of Lolz). How about support through DPS? maybe, but at the cost of everyone dying. How about maybe buff/debuff? We have Divine Glow/Break the Spirit, which is good, but not that good, and again, at the cost of people dying.

The fact of the matter is, Astral Shield, an ENCOUNTER, WAS/IS SO POWERFUL (on the level of dailies), that it defined the class. That if you remove it from our bar we become absolutely useless. It's so powerful that we actually have to make up for it's down time, instead of looking for alternative ways to support you guys. Anybody who says they can heal through any T2 dungeon without it is either lying, or has set them up a challenge. B*ll****.
    Gabriel Angelfire - Devoted Cleric // Karguk the Impaler - Great Weapon Fighter // Zephalyne - Control Wizard
    PVP: How to make your life less miserable as a Devoted Clerics -- Still in it's Unfinished Glory
    Dragon
  • xouk87xouk87 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    gtxinsane wrote: »
    To lay it down to people, let's remove one defining skill for each class (class mechanics excluded: arcane mastery, mark, unstoppable, stealth) and see how they do without it:

Control Wizards (Arcane Singularity [Daily] - can be chained if you build for it, no AoE limit, clumps up sh*t together, arguably and single-handedly, best control skill in the game). Oppressive force is actually good (just that compared to singularity, it sucks), and you can still slot Arcane Entangling Force/Icy Conduit, Icy Terrain, Steal Time to control properly. Can still keep that 4th encounter free if needing more dps, more control, or debuff. Can spec for DPS in PvP.

The Trickster Rogue skill set is so diverse that they don't have 1 skill that define them. These guys can tank/off-tank (ITC, Smoke, plethora of dodges from class/encounter), and still deal dps. And they're **** good in dealing dps. While a majority of their damage is from bleeds, they'll still do pretty good without it. Shocking Execution took a hit but that just meant that Lashing Blade out of stealth became better.

The Guardian Fighter is also another well done class which it's only downfall was not being able to take aggro properly, now fixed of course. There is absolutely no one skill that defines them (barring block, but it's their "dodge", and mark is just spread across a lot of their abilities). These guys can dish out DPS no problem, tank, even when built for the other. Knight's Valor is a great party skill, but they won't be completely useless without it as they can mitigate the damage by actually tanking, which they can actually do now.

The GWF is another class that has problems, but at least it isn't defined by one skill. These guys can off-tank, deal ok single-target/aoe damage, do a fair bit of control, etc. The GWF is the class that can actually slot anything and there-in lies its problem: Jack of All Trades, master of none (which was supposed to be master of trash clearing).

Devoted Cleric (Astral Shield, Damage Mitigation and Heal [if divine] in one spell), take that out and what do we have? Can we still heal the party reliably? Maybe (Forgemaster Flame, Sunburst, Healing Word, Bastion of Lolz). How about support through DPS? maybe, but at the cost of everyone dying. How about maybe buff/debuff? We have Divine Glow/Break the Spirit, which is good, but not that good, and again, at the cost of people dying.

The fact of the matter is, Astral Shield, an ENCOUNTER, WAS/IS SO POWERFUL (on the level of dailies), that it defined the class. That if you remove it from our bar we become absolutely useless. It's so powerful that we actually have to make up for it's down time, instead of looking for alternative ways to support you guys. Anybody who says they can heal through any T2 dungeon without it is either lying, or has set them up a challenge. B*ll****.

You good sir got tot he point. Actually as a cleric agree totally . From point of view if you take AS from cleric there is pretty much nothing left. You have to stackk all the recovery in the world so you would have some other reliable heals realtively often , and spec as much for DP gain as possible so you could actualyl cast them. There is proabably not much dmg support you can provide and all the heals and talents are usually as ridculous as 2,5% or on 5 ranks 1% of power ( which you cant stack if you want to cast sun burst or Bastion of light relativly often) to crit. You need crit and recovery so your heals wont be very strong. And without DP you will have to have a cast time or will run out of Charges on a heal or will have a cooldwon. Everyone dies and blames the cleric. I Used to run AS, healing word and sun burst and it worked pretty fine. With a good group could make quite a bit of dungeons. Now its like i waste most of delves to fail 20 times pay 10g for pots and kits and lewave with 3hrs spent and 6 drake tokens.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no I don't believe clerics should have to rely upon one spell to heal, the problem is that the other heals are fricken weak and useless as heals (on divinity mode the single person over time heal failed to raise my cleric's health bar past 1/3rd after 3 back to back divinity casts and my cleric had to find a potion in PvP simply to heal up)... this game should fix it so clerics can heal well and not have to rely upon AS rather than gimping AS and taking it as well as the other healing spells out of some clerics line up (a cleric that doesn't heal or do much of anything else, lol... that's evidently what this latest patch has changed the cleric into)

I don't understand where the idea that clerics shouldn't burst heal came from either. In the tabletop game, there are potions as well, along with burst healing abilities. A well built healing divine cleric can make their Healing Word (which is an AoE in the tabletop btw) crank out a crapton of burst healing with the right feats, build, and gear. So it isn't from 4E that Cryptic got the idea to make healing gimp.
  • rengetsu08rengetsu08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2013
    xouk87 wrote: »
    You good sir got tot he point. Actually as a cleric agree totally . From point of view if you take AS from cleric there is pretty much nothing left. You have to stackk all the recovery in the world so you would have some other reliable heals realtively often , and spec as much for DP gain as possible so you could actualyl cast them. There is proabably not much dmg support you can provide and all the heals and talents are usually as ridculous as 2,5% or on 5 ranks 1% of power ( which you cant stack if you want to cast sun burst or Bastion of light relativly often) to crit. You need crit and recovery so your heals wont be very strong. And without DP you will have to have a cast time or will run out of Charges on a heal or will have a cooldwon. Everyone dies and blames the cleric. I Used to run AS, healing word and sun burst and it worked pretty fine. With a good group could make quite a bit of dungeons. Now its like i waste most of delves to fail 20 times pay 10g for pots and kits and lewave with 3hrs spent and 6 drake tokens.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH PEOPLE SUPPORTING CLERIC BECOMING WORTHLESS AND NOT A SUPPORT CLASS ANYMORE, THEY'VE BECOME MORE OF A FOODER OTHER THAN OCCASIONALLY HEALING/SUPPORTING TEAM, I DARE PEOPLE SAYING THEY ARE NOT UNDERPOWERED IN PVP AND PVE??? because cleric are being harass more often for not able to heal anymore team party members.. WHAT A LOWLY THING FOR CRYPTIC/PWE TO DO THEM LIKE THIS..
    Half-Elf Devoted Cleric-Divine Oracle Build, Powers and Feats:V1.0, V2.0
  • c45hcr0pc45hcr0p Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    AS is a good defense buff, as a heal though it sucks now... before it would heal me entirely from nothing, now it fills perhaps 30%, as such I took it out of my selection... anyone who wants a 30% heal can use a potion as it isn't worth my divine power

Astral Shield heals exactly the same amount (per second) as it did before the patch. What you're noticing is the fact that its "heal" used to be classified as Regeneration (not affected by your 40% self-heal effectiveness).

Post-patch, it is classified as a heal-over-time (IS affected by your 40% self-heal effectiveness).

Astral Shield is still the most potent support ability in the DC's arsenal.

As an aside, your group should be dodging and potting anyway. To not is just poor play.
    cylisbrex wrote: »
    ...I love the rectal based combat...

Reticle not rectal. :)
    edited June 2013
    rengetsu08 wrote: »
    I TOTALLY AGREE WITH PEOPLE SUPPORTING CLERIC BECOMING WORTHLESS AND NOT A SUPPORT CLASS ANYMORE, THEY'VE BECOME MORE OF A FOODER OTHER THAN OCCASIONALLY HEALING/SUPPORTING TEAM, I DARE PEOPLE SAYING THEY ARE NOT UNDERPOWERED IN PVP AND PVE??? because cleric are being harass more often for not able to heal anymore team party members.. WHAT A LOWLY THING FOR CRYPTIC/PWE TO DO THEM LIKE THIS..

a cleric that cant heal, can't do anything much else, and that has to spend a fortune on healing potions... lol... tell me, what is a cleric again????????????????????????????
    edited June 2013
    c45hcr0p wrote: »
    Astral Shield heals exactly the same amount (per second) as it did before the patch. What you're noticing is the fact that its "heal" used to be classified as Regeneration (not affected by your 40% self-heal effectiveness).

Post-patch, it is classified as a heal-over-time (IS affected by your 40% self-heal effectiveness).

Astral Shield is still the most potent support ability in the DC's arsenal.

As an aside, your group should be dodging and potting anyway. To not is just poor play.

no it doesn't, not even close... before the patch AS would take my cleric from virtually dead to full health and still be healing after that with a single cast, after the patch my cleric doesn't even heal 1/3rd of its health bar with 1 AS cast
  • c45hcr0pc45hcr0p Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    no it doesn't, not even close... before the patch AS would take my cleric from virtually dead to full health and still be healing after that with a single cast, after the patch my cleric doesn't even heal 1/3rd of its health bar with 1 AS cast

Did you even read my post?

AS, as far as game mechanics, is now classified as a Heal-Over-Time; which trigger Righteousness.

Before the patch, as far as game mechanics, it was classified as Regeneration; which, doesn't trigger Righteousness.

It also now is active for 6 seconds less than it was before the patch.

Both of the aforementioned changes are to fix unintended behavior of Astral Shield.

I'm assuming you won't read my post, and you will just scream NOOOO! as a reply, again.
    cylisbrex wrote: »
    ...I love the rectal based combat...

Reticle not rectal. :)