test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trade reviews for reviews. NW-DOR9NCQ8S

serryth17serryth17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hello. I'm Serry and I'd be happy to offer two reviews, since my hubby volunteered to also review anyone that helps me, for some reviews of my first quest. I'm working on a few other quests so I expect to do this again pretty soon. I'll happily subscribe to at least the first four replies so that I can review future projects. And I'll be happy to review more than the first four replies since I know how frustrating it's been for me waiting for those played numbers to move. Good luck and thanks in advance.

My first quest is Mad Mary's Missing Hound NW-DOR9NCQ8S. There will be more. Happy creating. :)

Serry
Post edited by serryth17 on

Comments

• Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll be happy to review this for you.

I'll start in the next 10 mins, need a break from my current Foundry project.

Back in a bit with comments.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    serryth17serryth17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you much. I'll run yours in just a few. :)
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK.

First off, the tone of the quest dialogue seemed "tongue in cheek humourous" in nature. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not in general to my taste, and I am not convinced yet that this medium is an suitable vehicle for such quests.

But, that said that's not the issue here.

A few items that you interact with still have their generic foundry names, we all do it I am sure (I think there's still a door (or 2) in my quest that have them), but in general reviewers like to see such things renamed.

The Dialogue (given my reservations about the style) was well presented and no major Typo's stood out.

Details did though.

The Camp Fire is "floating", as are parts of the surrounding walls.

But the big issue is I couldn't progress to the "next map", there was no door / portal mechanism for me to use - the "sparkly trail" led to the solitary door stood on the grass, but it wasn't possible to interact with it. I assume it takes me to another map with the Dog / Chickens etc on.

So, its mainly about the construction of the quest (why is it not letting me progress), and a lot of attention to detail.

The basis of a reasonable story seem to be there, even though it seems that story will not be to everyone's taste (don't let that put you off - we can't please all the people all the time).

Liked the use of the "use the door" to allow you achieve Mary's costume swap "off camera" so to speak.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    h3x1d3h3x1d3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Serry, I'll be glad to review your quest. However, I can wait until you make the necessary changes that were mentioned above if you rather I wait.
    Machinations of Devils Campaign: NWS-DH23RSSYS
    Act I: Part I: The Awakening: NW-DGDH5ZYE5
    Act I: Part II: The Awakening: ND-DUGC8287P
    Act II: The Plague: WIP

Griffon Beach: WIP
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'll get right on those. :) Thanks.
  • Options
    maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello, I will play your quest tonight/tomorrow morning. I would be glad if you played mine (in sig)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, redneckronin. I'll take a look at those issues right now.

I also had an issue with your quest where it wouldn't let me advance with the journal. I couldn't get a continue option on the last entry so I was stuck there. I tried exit, restarting that area, even picking the other dialog option with the woman at the door, but I still could not advance. I will drop and retry the quest later to see if that clears anything.

Best of luck on the rest of your campaign. And thanks for the review. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you, maerwin. I will check yours out after I do some edits and reviewing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The door should be fine now. I think the problem happened when it was interacted with before it was time to use it to leave the map. I never did that because I knew the order of events, so I didn't catch the error. I'll try to keep things like that in mind next time.
  • Options
    caustic8caustic8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    Just played through. The story is great and you've done a really good job on the dialog. It went a little quickly for me but that's ok.

For the first objective you might consider being more descriptive about the location. Right now it just says something like Mary's missing dog.

I had the issue described above where the floating door wasn't interactable. Now, in my case, I tried interacting with the door before talking to mary and receiving the next part of the quest. That made the shiny stuff disappear. I like to see how I can break stuff :D. Maybe there's a way to rework the objectives so you can't click on the door until after you talk to Mary.

To fix that, I just exited the quest and came back in. It dropped me on the next map right in front of the Drow door. Was that a forest? Or a swamp? That map was really wide open and I ended up avoiding most of the encounters by just walking around them. Some more objects and detail in that map might make it feel more like a swamp or forest. You could also guide players a bit more with impassable objects.

The final encounter map was great. Cool effects and it had a good feel to it. With some heavy tweaking this could be a fantastic quest.

If you have a chance to check mine out, here is the info. Thanks for putting your quest together. I'll be happy to replay when you've made some changes.

A Short Dig - NW-DA8O42CFF
    A Short Dig - NW-DA8O42CFF
  • Options
    h3x1d3h3x1d3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just got done playing and it's possible the areas you've fixed hadn't changed yet on the server but here is what I've found:

Most of the quest or door "interactions" say "Go to Next Map". Might want to change that, it tends to break immersion. There were also a few items that didn't have the object's name changed, for example "Burlap Sack 01" for the Key, and during the swamp map "Meat Spit 01" on the objects. When you get the part to use the Mysterious Door it will break if you choose the option "Interact" instead of "Go to next map" AFTER speaking with Mary. I had to leave the map and reenter through the Deekin Street door to progress further.

The maps are kinda sparse, might want to throw some bushes down or cluster weeds, etc.. Use fences to help determine a road or route. At the very end a cook fire (pit) is floating above the ground, don't know if that was intended or not. Overall fun little quest, not sure how long it took me exactly as I skipped most of the encounters in the swamp. You could use "Reach Point" markers in the quest to keep people on track fighting werewolves if you want to extend the time. I think I only saw one typo and that was with Bloodmonger "Interupting needs to be Interrupting". I enjoyed it, and glad you shared it with us. I'll definitely replay it after the fixes. I hope this has helped.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Very happy with the feedback. I'll see what else I can do with that door and take another look at the forest. I've been inspired by your work, h. I'll definitely put more into the woods. I'll make a few changes, then get back to reviews. :) Thanks so much.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for your review Serry, I really appreciate it. I'm glad that I inspired you. I enjoy the map making more than anything with the Foundry. Dialog has not been my strong point, perhaps you could help me with my grammar lol. Cheers!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Sure, h. I'll take some notes when I run your quests again and spam mail you some suggestions. :) And I will definitely put more effort into my next maps. I think I've already made a lot of progress with my next project, but I'm always looking to improve. I'm in the process of publishing some fixes for Mary. Then back to reviews.
  • Options
    darkaninddarkanind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited June 2013
    NW-DUCYKYQHA is mine.
    Running yours now. :)
  • Options
    jaggeropthjaggeropth Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Reviewing yours now. Try mine when you can. ID's are in my sig.
    If a tree falls in a virtual forest, how big is the sound file?
    Please review my "Finger of God" campaign: NWS-DPJMGYJGV
    Quest #1: NW-DS24FX4BC - Cragsford
    Quest #2: NW-DTPUNXUAB - Mine's Mine
    Quest #3: NW-DIPZQ7CMS - Are We There Yeti?
    Quest #4: NW-DSCFDT5WS - Finger of God
  • Options
    darkaninddarkanind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited June 2013
    Not a bad start to a foundry. Need to fix up the default names of things (IE Burlap Sack 01, Meat Spit 02). One bug I encountered is before I spoke with Mary a second time, I tried to use the doorway since it sparkled. After I spoke with her, I couldn't use the door anymore. I had to exit the quest and re-enter it. Maybe make the doorway appear after you speak with her a second time? Also, in the large map, you can get away with not fighting any random encounter by going around. You could perhaps make them wandering encounters? Just some ideas. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Added you two to my list to review. As for the door and names, I fixed that earlier, but the publish seems to be taking its sweet time. I haven't noticed it take this long before, or for the quest to say it's currently publishing for a long time, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. But I did 'hide' the door and change some names, make the encounters pop upon reaching waypoints, add some more detail and such. Hopefully it will update soon. I will definitely be more careful with my next project. Thanks for the reviews. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Got in a play for everyone last night. I was pretty impressed with your ideas and creativity. And will definitely get to everyone's other work. I've got you all subscribed. Since I'm waiting for the patch that will hopefully get Mary updated and fix that door, I thought I'd share a couple things that jumped out at me.

red, very well done sewer. It was packed and looked lived in. Very nice. And the back story was pretty neat.

h. Love your maps. Love love love. Your village was creepy and haunted and the spider cave was really cool. But the loss of the item from the beggar when moving from part one to part two was kind of disappointing. Since I always lose my items when leaving/finishing the quest, then maybe you could move that guy and his conversation to the beginning of part two so that you can get those options. I'm curious what he said about it.

jagg, your side quests were great. Unfortunately I lost all those items when I finished the quest, and a few of them didn't 'vanish' when I turned the quest in, so I was having a bit of a space issue. And since I rescued the horse before getting to the dancer's belongings, I had to try and get the horse stuck behind a tree so I could loot that crate. He was in the way the whole time. And I climbed the mountain to get on the catwalk so I missed the quest advance at the beginning of the catwalk and had to turn around and run back up. All in all a great story start. I will get to the other parts. And I loved that new wall of yours. :) I'm curious what you're going to put around it. Very cool. And I will check out your other quests, I just had to go to bed at some time.

dark. Oh the pirate cove. :) That was cool. All twisty and turny with so many ups and downs. It felt like a real adventure in that cave full of surprises. But I died at the last fight and had to run all the way back. It felt like forever. And I didn't get lost in the maze the first time, but on the way back I kept running into the same two corners for several minutes. Maybe I was tired, but wow that took a long time. And for some reason when I dragged the giant bone golem into the maze because I didn't want to stop to kill him, he turned into a giant werewolf. That was sort of funny. I'm very curious exactly what all those ghosts are up to.

maer, some of those drow were kicking my butt. I had great fun with the spiders and some of Lucia's reactions. And the conversations were nicely done and funny at times. Can't wait to see what's inside that city.

caus, the little extras were nice. Not that I appreciated the ogre stomp with adds, but that was my own fault. And those drow at the crystals were insane. I felt like such a boss when I finally got them down, though I need to restock my health pots. Very pretty and very well done.

Forgive me if I've got anyone's names/quests mixed up. I'm going from memory and my memory sucks. :)

Keep up the good work, folks. I'm having a lot of fun playing in your heads. :) And hopefully my quest will update those fixes. And hopefully my next quest will be much more user friendly when I get it published. Thanks again for the feedback so far. Very helpful. And thanks for your great work. I'm definitely inspired to do even better.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks again Serry. I already made some changes you suggested and will work on the others, like moving the beggar. I hated that I had to split up the Act because of the "Packet Corruption" error. I've subscribed to you also. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more of your work.

Edit: I just replayed the quest Serry, and the changes have published. It's much better =). Very well done.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you much. And I'll be replaying you for grammar and just because its so pretty. I'm probably not done tweaking Mary. I have big plans for her, hence why she didn't die. I'm glad the glaring errors are gone now. That door's gonna haunt me. :) My next quest has pirates and is a lot sillier than this one. I thought it was nearly done, but I have so much more work to do with my maps to make them prettier. Your attention to detail, h, is amazing. And will be exhausting to try and match just a little. Have you played Nightmare on Market Street? That's another very well done, very pretty quest. One of the first I tried and one of my faves.
  • Options
    pavvopavvo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi
    Have just played through your quest. Quite an enjoyable little romp.
    Just a small comment and bug

Bug: The door to doom at the beginning. It gives 2 options when you click on it. DOOM or INTERACT. If you select interact, it opens and you can't continue. Had to quit and restart. Maybe put a portal instead of a door?
    Comment: The mini-boss fights were interesting but it got tired after seeing wolf/wolf archers for the nth time. Maybe spice it up with some variety?

Appreciate a playthrough of my quests below (See sig)

Cheers
    The Tale of the 3 Suns - NWS-DA9XX8WIV
    #1: 3 Suns Aligned NW-DFEKZANXF
    #2: The Amulet of the Shining Sun NW-DRKKGUI26
    #2 has choices that give a high amount of replayability

The Legend of Khyber - NWS-DK33EIYMY
    #1: The Holy Symbol of Khyber NW-DU3HEVWJ7
    #2: The Gauntlets of Khyber NW-DN0006FAZ
    Heavy combat/light story
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That door's gonna kill me. I'm on it, pav. And thanks for the review. I'll take a look at my encounters and try to mix them a little better. And I'll add you to my review list. :)