test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Immortalis

hekl3rposthekl3rpost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Foundry Quest Database
Immortalis by @hekl3rpost
Short Code: NW-DALRKD3F5
Mission Type: Kill/Retrieval/Lore
Average Duration: 15-25 minutes
Combat: Heavy AoE combat and ambushes. Optional combat encounters
Start: accessible from the world map

Mission Summary:
There comes a day when all that glitters loses its luster. A day when the sun no longer warms you and the sting of death is all too real. Today is that day. You have heard rumors of a man who would not submit to the god of death. He claims dominion over all life, boasting about his apparent invincibility. With the pain of those lost fresh in your mind, you venture out determined to discover this man's secret. Perhaps this incantation of immortality is strong enough to return the dead. If this man, Alistar Tyranis will not tell you the secret willingly, you will take it by force.

Difficulty:
1 player-Hard
2 players-Challenging
3+ players-Easy

Tips/Hints: This quest can be very difficult for the solo adventurer. It is recommended that lower DPS classes bring a buddy.

Note: If the game steals your quest item don't fret, look around. I am sure some poor sap has what you need.

Screenshot:
Immortalis_centerpiece_small.jpg

Version History:
v1-: Original Main Quest Publish
v2a-q: Main Quest + Optional NPC Encounters

Projected: v3-: Custom Boss Encounters
Post edited by hekl3rpost on

Comments

• Options
    cakemomocakemomo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Loved this map. The environment is well thought out, and fits the foreboding story. It definitely is a challenge though, so make sure to bring some extra pots or friends! Can't wait to see more from this creator!!
  • Options
    hekl3rposthekl3rpost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am glad you enjoyed it. I agree, it can be quite difficult solo. If you have any suggestions/issues please feel free to tell me about it.
  • Options
    obsidianw0lfobsidianw0lf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not to bad. But as for solo I'd say guardian only. I could be wrong for higher lvl players though. I went through on a lvl 24 guardian. had some good moments. Last fight wasn't as hard as the others you face before it though.. and I know that isn't your fault. We really need the ability to put in real boss fights. But you did a good job compensating for it though. I say a little more polish and you should be good to go. Some of the ambushes were a little rough.

Any way nice work.
    7bK3vEy.gif

A story driven quest with humor, and a lot of challenging fights. What starts out as a simple lost item quest quickly turns into a much darker, and a lot more dangerous adventure.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We really need the ability to put in real boss fights.

A fellow foundry author I see. I totally agree, those last few encounters are place holders until I can make custom boss encounters. Thank you for taking the time to play through and offer your feedback.
  • Options
    alxrite1514alxrite1514 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok so here we go. I ran this today and here is how it went down...

I went in not expecting much. Let me start out by saying this. I did come out loving it though! So here is what I experienced!

I entered the zone. Read the Dialog and I was actually kinda hooked. The lore is pretty sweet. You did a good job on the writing and the main "baddie" felt like he had a "personality", so I applaud you for this.

The retrieval parts were pretty sick. I was AMBUSHED like a BAWS! lol I was not expecting it at all. Made me have to actually work a little. Unlike most of the foundries I have run so far. So I loved the fighting. Was it difficult? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Would I play it again? Uhhh... yes!

Bah... look. Go play this Foundry!!!! If you do not, you are missing out! I could only imagine it when the music and sounds are in. Very well made! I am subscribing sir! WELL PLAYED!

*Tipped*
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I entered the zone. Read the Dialog and I was actually kinda hooked. The lore is pretty sweet. You did a good job on the writing and the main "baddie" felt like he had a "personality", so I applaud you for this.

Thank you. That really means a lot

I was AMBUSHED like a BAWS!

LIKE A BAWS! love it

Bah... look. Go play this Foundry!!!! If you do not, you are missing out! I could only imagine it when the music and sounds are in. Very well made! I am subscribing sir! WELL PLAYED!

*Tipped*

You sir, are too kind. I am really happy you enjoyed it. The difficulty has been freshly tweaked in version 2i. I am trying to fine tune the encounters. It seems my testing methodology inadvertently cookie-cuttered the encounters. (They were extremely hard if you didn't use specific skill combinations). I appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten on the forums and in-game.
  • Options
    obsidianw0lfobsidianw0lf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hekl3rpost wrote: »
    A fellow foundry author I see.

Aye I am. I have one out for play that you played some of and I'm working a new more solo friendly quest. As well as making a easy version of a Cry Unanswered.

I totally agree, those last few encounters are place holders until I can make custom boss encounters.

Maybe they will give us boss fights in the future. I would like that plus I'd like the encounter system to be more simplified as well. It would be nice to drop an encounter onto the map, and then from the properties of that encounter you select the number of mobs you want in that encounter, and their difficulty, and the attack power type. It would make setting up fights in the Foundry a hundred times faster. Well for me at least haha
    Thank you for taking the time to play through and offer your feedback.

It was a good time. The story was well thought out, and I liked the little extra encounters. The level design was nice and simple, but well fleshed out. When you get the fights more how you want I'll run it again and let you know how it has changed for me based on how it use to be. maybe that will be of some help to ya =)

Oh and finally Bump =P
    7bK3vEy.gif

A story driven quest with humor, and a lot of challenging fights. What starts out as a simple lost item quest quickly turns into a much darker, and a lot more dangerous adventure.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I just published a new version of Immortalis last night. I tweaked some of the dialog and put some time towards map aesthetics. The difficulty of the opening encounter has been reduced slightly. The final encounter now includes an environmental hazard element. Immortalis has not yet qualified for the daily, but I hope that will change soon.
  • Options
    anrix2anrix2 Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I thought your map was amazing, until I played Cathedral of Madness(the Cryptic Quest in The Chasm) and realized that your map is a pre-fabricated map in similar fashion to the already existing quest put out as official content...I was heartbroken.
    A solo or group hack-n-slash: Mage Masher

A short solo hack-n-slash: The Dirty Dwarf
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    anrix2 wrote: »
    I thought your map was amazing, until I played Cathedral of Madness(the Cryptic Quest in The Chasm) and realized that your map is a pre-fabricated map in similar fashion to the already existing quest put out as official content...I was heartbroken.

This is the second time I have heard this. It seems I have not done enough to "make it my own". I really liked the Cathedral of Madness, Cryptic did a fantastic job on the map. Perhaps it was an unfortunate decision to use it. I have put quite a bit of effort into really fleshing out the cathedral and making it my own. Similarity is similarity though....seems unfortunate. I have to admit that I am somewhat crushed that the similarity had such a negative impact on your experience. I am at a loss on how to reconcile this dilemma, short of over designing the interior and covering up the awesome visuals that are already there. I am also not sure if adding more detail will really differentiate the map enough to alleviate the issue.

I really appreciate you taking the time to play Immortalis and reply with feedback.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Immortalis is now eligible for the "Daily Foundry" quest rewards. Go go astral diamonds.
  • Options
    jojojoestarjojojoestar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I played this map and enjoyed it quite a bit. The quest dialog was interesting enough that I actually read it(which I never do) and the combat was challenging. Well done!
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'll check this one out tonight, might bring a mid-level cleric or a 60 rogue, depends :3 - Clerics just faceroll though.

I will do this foundry now, or tomorrow. (Depending when i finish it.) But I'm just editing here because you should kind of learn the limitations of the foundry or being able to compare to other maps before you do review a map, atleast on the forum.

For those that are curious, merely check the Riddles of the Dark thread. ( My signature. ) But to put it out there, - You, pointed out that the bushes moved unlike what the wind? And that it was so horrible that it was jarring? And yet, people say you use a certain area and haven't made it your own. It feel a tiny bit.. Split about it all, i will check out your map. And be fair about my score, as i always am. - I might be "harsch" at times, but i always see to it, my review tells the truth of what -I- see...

I can be a critic to be a critic, or i can compare one map to another.

This isn't a rant, i just find it so wierd/amusing lol. (Like really amusing, bushing moving too fast? lol )
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I played this map and enjoyed it quite a bit. The quest dialog was interesting enough that I actually read it(which I never do) and the combat was challenging. Well done!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy you enjoyed it. Be sure to check back when music is fixed.

lolsorhand wrote: »
    I'll check this one out tonight, might bring a mid-level cleric or a 60 rogue, depends :3 - Clerics just faceroll though.

I hope you had a chance to check out Immortalis.

Immortalis v2o is now published. It includes some dialog fixes and some visual tweaks.
  • Options
    lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Review of Immortalis

Patrol in the start moving a tad bit unatural/too fast. -
    No outside area of the temple(You just enter the temple without a second thought etc.) -
    No emotes in NPC dialogue/Storyline -/-
    Envirotment +/- Not bad, nor good. It just didn't keep me wanting to go on to discover what lies next.
    PvE - Encounters decent, though abit repetetive. - Quest quite short if you know the way it seems. Not really rewarding (Ran through it solo as a Cleric lvl 34, going Rogue 60 tomorrow/today.). +/+/-/-
    I would give you a + on the details/enviroment but i just don't know what you have done to change it. Before i give you a score on this, i would need to see the original.
    How it runs: Quite decent on all PCs that i have.

The fence, just stopping for the clawlike fence to point out. ( This isn't even a limitation in the foundry. Sometimes the inbuilt door system isn't the best.)
    Some wordings could be built up differently, perhaps only a matter of taste though.
    Honor being an illusion, doesn't quite fit common sense. ( Honour as that, is purely from a perspective of yourself for most parts. You follow a code, and whatever that code is, you consider it honorful. )
    No different Dialogue trees, perhaps my character would have answered things a bit differently? ( Perhaps some characters does not seek power at all? - Would it be me, even though i might be boring, i would leave that spirit to its own demise. Why would i do what he asks of me? Just to prove that he isn't all that powerful? )

At this point, i skipped the dialogue. Mostly because, it just doesn't appeal to me. As in me. - Of course others may find it awesome still, but not I.

Improve on encounter (They get repetetive after the 2nd.) This is the issue with playing a map like this, if you have a player moving through similiar structures, you must always make something new in each part of the quest. Or it will get.. "meh" feeling out of them. The encounters are placed well, being on your guard.. I enjoy that feeling quite much.

All in all, it does seem "Okay" imo, and i don't want to sound harsch but.. I doubt i'd play it again unless something big changes. - Now with all this aid, I'd still give it a 3/5, Because well.. It's okay. Not really fun but perhaps worth a try just because. (And i won't complain about your fires moving jarringly wierd to the stale air or so in the quest.. Just lol.. lol..)

Anyway, 3/5. I'll give it an OK, but i'd recommend my friends to others(More fun foundries, . I wasn't frustrated when i played this but i was equally not entertained enough to repeat the experience, also never found a challening encounter. (Clerics might be a tad bit broken, and that is why i will play through it with my rogue today/tomorrow.)

And remember to not take this review too harschly, I know how long time certian quests/maps and dialogue can take to polish. If you want me to wait with my Rogue play though give me a mail ingame. ( I'm not too active on the forums. )

-- Edit
    Okay, playing through it as a Rogue with a gear score of 9200ish, not too hard. Combat seems balanced though i would put the mobs slightly further away so you don't land on them. Not that it makes it harder or anything, just abit fugly. But i activated a object and stopped for a moment, then tried doing it again. - Can't get the quest object now, But it might be a good thing to put it on the ground, or make some sort of mechanism to counteract this bug.. I think it's probobly the foundry that makes interactable objects a pain to deal with sometimes.

I will reboot the quest in the worst case :)
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I will take your comments/suggestions into consideration lolsorhand.

A new version of Immortalis has been published.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    While i can't publish my updates (because of the bug, forever publishing.) I took your cavern suggestion to heart, and hope you will give it another play later :) - On another note, i will replay your map, but did you notice the Berserk hint in my quest? :3
    I like turtles.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Sweet music in my ears. It is a great day for authors. A new version of Immortalis is live and it has working music! I just finished my obligatory post-publish run, and I am very happy with the music fix. I have unfortunately reached my max budget on sounds and multi-trigger sounds don't seem to be working properly, so there are still some "dead-air" sections. I will work on this issue as options become available.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    New update v2q adds "the ritual" I have added this little encounter to try and tie the story together. It is something I have wanted to put in, but wasn't sure how I was going to execute it.

I am pretty happy with Immortalis at the moment. Of course things can always improve and I am open to suggestions or comments.