test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No solo content in Gauntlgrym at ALL?

2»

Comments

• riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    The OP isn’t suggesting that you all give up your group content. He or she just wants some solo content in the upcoming expansions.
    Then why not inquire about solo play in subsequent expansions rather than focusing on the content designed specifically for guilds.
    Gauntlgrym is basically Neverwinter's first raid. A raid is the antithesis of solo play.
    Neverwinter already has plenty of endgame solo activities for soloers. And no raid content, yet.
    Most of the game is soloable, all of the game is available to groups. Did the developers not really mean it when they made 90% of the game solo friendly?Were they just asleep at the wheel and now looking to course correct?
    And none of the is available for raids.
    Gauntlgrym is designed for raid play. That is the course corrected.
    Will there be a wild swing between solo and group only content now.
    Why make a huge leap to such a paranoid question?

The OP would like some consistency and I don’t think it is too much to ask; unless the devs are just making this all up as they go, in which case it is quite a lot to ask.
    So...
    The consistency being asked for is no content that accommodates raids?
    Silly rabbit, most of this game is solo friendly. It is by any defining standard “solo with some multiplayer”. Ask your friends.
    Regardless of what "friends" might say, your statement is false.
    All of Neverwinter in-game is multiplayer. Most of the game soloable. Some of the game requires 5-person parties. None of the game, up until Gauntlgrym, is designed for raids.
    Well if you need both phases and one of them is PVP then you are required to PVP aren’t you? Or is your point that you don’t need the PVP portion?

At any rate there are people who would rather shave off their own fingerprints than subject themselves to the twitchy hormone pool of PVP. And they have fewer options because of this.
    Technically, all of Gauntlgrym is PvP - even the PvE sections.
    The PvE portions are just an indirect form of PvP, rather than directly killing other players.
    Those who don't like PvP shouldn't be QQing about PvP content. If you don't like PvP, just don't PvP.
    Not all content is designed for your preferred play-style.
    It is what it is but let’s not try to call it fair or even. Simple math says it just aint so.
    Yeah, simple minds might think so. :-p
    But, go ahead and school us. What exactly isn't fair?
    That it's not possible to solo a raid? ????
    But more to the point, do the devs not know their playerbase? For whom did they make this game? Did they have any vision of their path forward when they did? Or did they just get some IP handed to them and have been running and gunning even since, because that’s what it looks like. Leaving out code, importing known exploits, making everything solo-accessible until – Hey now we are guild only!
    Apparently they know their playerbase well enough to understand that many of their players would enjoy raid content.
    Clearly, there is already plenty of support for solo play.
    And what was missing, pre-launch, was raid content.
    This is end content, end content is not soloable!
    That’s a fair point. And to be fair, no game has ever really had solo friendly endgame content. The end game is all about corralling the players, slowing them down and hiding the fact that they are done with everything until the next expansion. And I don’t really have a rebuttal for that.
    Actually, it's not a fair point at all.
    MMO endgame content should support solo play as well.
    Neverwinter already does a great job at that.
    What was not available in the beta is raid content.
    Soloers who wish to progress during endgame should try to solo all of the dungeons.
    It would be innovative and new to have something like solo friendly end game content but given the performance up to now, traditional is about the best we are going to get and we will all be lucky if that stays solid.
    Exactly!
    Which is one of the things that makes Neverwinter so enjoyable.
    At 60, when I don't want to group for Epic dungeons, I can try to solo the standard dungeons.
    Throne of Idris took me 3 hours to solo. I'm not sure I can survive Pirate King, but I'll give it a try eventually.
    And, again, there are a ton of Foundry quests.
    So get a guild, cross your fingers and fight. Innovation is for the next game.
    If you want to check out Gauntlgrym - join a guild. Simple math, no?
    If you just want to solo, there should be plenty of stuff to do.
    And if that runs out... You can create your own solo quests in the Foundry.
    Absolutely nothing to QQ about, here.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why would there be solo content in Gauntlegrym? It's a 40 person dungeon. Thread title is confusing.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Bingo, and WoW is busting their collective asses to add more of the dungeon and story experience at end game because folks are sick of not getting to be part of the story unless they raid, the same thing is happening over at DCUO, smed just talked about the huge voice that is the solo/duo player and that it's not about lack of leveling content it was lack of viable end game content. And as much as I'm impressed with the Foundry authors so far, they are not going to fill that void.
    So... You've soloed all of the standard dungeons already??
    And, you're sure that you're sure that we can't solo Fury of the Feywild??
    Also screaming this is a MMO and find a guild is not going to keep that huge demographic paying for the game.
    Uh. Neverwinter is f2p.
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Why would there be solo content in Gauntlegrym? It's a 40 person dungeon. Thread title is confusing.
    Exactly. Why would anyone expect to be able to solo a raid?
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Every loot roll is PVP, so im guessing most of u dont wear items in neverwinter since u refuse to do PVP.

and riqita <3 nice post.

Since when did pvp become ego tripping junky's and not teambased gameplay to enjoy with friends?..
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1) what percentage of the lvl 60 game as it exists right now is soloable ?

2) What percentage of the lvl 60 game as it exists right now focuses on team play ?

I guess the best response to these questions is another.

What percentage of the game is level 60 content ?
    He or she just wants some solo content in the upcoming expansions.

No. What the OP is complaining about is that this one specific expansion does not cater to his particular playstyle. What he is saying is that if even one expansion is not targeted at his playstyle specifically it is an indication of failure, or inadequacy, or substandard effort on the part of the NW development team.

There is a rather large difference between, "I hope there will be more solo content coming too," and telling the developers that they need to, "step up their game," for including even one patch that doesn't target him.

These are good questions and by good I mean that they shamelessly support my point instead of reinforcing their original intent.

Most of the game is soloable, all of the game is available to groups. Did the developers not really mean it when they made 90% of the game solo friendly? Were they just asleep at the wheel and now looking to course correct? Will there be a wild swing between solo and group only content now. The OP would like some consistency and I don’t think it is too much to ask; unless the devs are just making this all up as they go, in which case it is quite a lot to ask.

Your reponse reinforces the original intent of my questions, or do you think that, "the developers did not really mean it," when they decided to add content to the game that expands upon one particular aspect of gameplay ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • bigbadjakebigbadjake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For those of you saying that there is a choice and if you don't want to join a guild, don't play the content:
    - The number one mmorpg GW2 pvp content can be accessed anytime by anyone regardless of guild or group. Yes, you can walk in there solo and have fun.
    - Some of us who enjoy pvp, consider this a much needed add to the ridiculously bland pvp content.
    - Before you tell me to go play Gw2, save your breath. I quit this game and AM playing GW2.
    edited June 2013
    bigbadjake wrote: »
    For those of you saying that there is a choice and if you don't want to join a guild, don't play the content:
    - The number one mmorpg GW2 pvp content can be accessed anytime by anyone regardless of guild or group. Yes, you can walk in there solo and have fun.
    - Some of us who enjoy pvp, consider this a much needed add to the ridiculously bland pvp content.
    - Before you tell me to go play Gw2, save your breath. I quit this game and AM playing GW2.

NW is built on a 5 player group system and completely rigid inability to add people mid dungeon. Solo queueing for Gauntlgrym would probably be a miserable prospect. Especially if the group is locked down in phase 1. Lose and have only 4 people who want to do the t1 instance? Too bad, your DC doesn't want to bother so they left.

Forcing group queues also means Cryptic doesn't have to worry about complaints that the queue system gave you a party of 4 gwf and a gf in greens so you not only lost, but didn't have a chance at the dungeon.
  • pilfropilfro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    MMO doesnt mean group. It means Massively Multiplayer- A group isn't massive. They are talking about the amount of people on the server- not the amount of people in the group. I would wager at any given time in the game there are more people on the server not in a group than in one.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Exactly. Why would anyone expect to be able to solo a raid?

As stated before, no one knew this throughout the "teaser" period before we got the actual details of the content (it's 20-person, btw. 20 v 20 pvp, but the pve sections are just 20 as far as it seems now. The phase 3 dungeons might even be 5 man).

And until we received those details, Gaunt could have been anything - even a new adventure zone that contained the PvE content, PvP content, and dungeon content, that was shown in the dailies we could see. In which case it might also have had some quest or solo content alonside the other stuff. Which is likely where the OP is coming from - being disappointed that Gaunt is just this multi-phase queued 20-man thing.

...meanwhile, the rest of us go back to waiting for Module 1, since there's nothing to do here. /shrug
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    As stated before, no one knew this throughout the "teaser" period before we got the actual details of the content (it's 20-person, btw. 20 v 20 pvp, but the pve sections are just 20 as far as it seems now. The phase 3 dungeons might even be 5 man).

And until we received those details, Gaunt could have been anything - even a new adventure zone that contained the PvE content, PvP content, and dungeon content, that was shown in the dailies we could see. In which case it might also have had some quest or solo content alonside the other stuff. Which is likely where the OP is coming from - being disappointed that Gaunt is just this multi-phase queued 20-man thing.

...meanwhile, the rest of us go back to waiting for Module 1, since there's nothing to do here. /shrug

20+20=40 people in one zone. When I say "dungeon" I mean that it sounds like the 20v20 match happens in an instanced zone. It's effectively a dungeon. There has been nothing to suggest that the 2 reward dungeons are 20 man affairs. They could very well be 5 man deals. The rooms are certainly small enough.

Semantics aside, this place is not shaping up to be the daily quest hub people seem to have been hoping for all this time. It's not going to be Wintergrasp by the sound of things. It's going to be a queue up, zone in, start p1, etc kind of thing. More like a pvp map with 1 door for losers and 1 for winners that unlocks after p2.
  • tahera1tahera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    Every loot roll is PVP, so im guessing most of u dont wear items in neverwinter since u refuse to do PVP.

Hahah good one. ur so smrt! Those single players running around with their loot rolls PvPing against themselves all the time lol you are a genius!
  • daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm totally on par with OP, it frustrates me that this "instance" based MMO doesn't offer any solo content at lvl 60 what-so-ever. Just the fact that everything is relatively small and instanced compared to other MMO's takes a bit of the "grand world" feel away from it, however I can live with that. The fact that you cannot farm anything or really do anything at all solo is a total bother though, if I want to log on for an hour and just screw around farm alittle or do something ALL I can do SOLO is foundry stuff and there's literally no real gain in doing it - Foundry completions at lvl 60 should have an AD reward based upon the time it takes to complete or so.

Either that or you should be able to farm meaningful content solo, being forced to play with randoms 24/7 if you want any type of personal gain is just not fun when it's all you can ever do.
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daxtax86 wrote: »
    I'm totally on par with OP, it frustrates me that this "instance" based MMO doesn't offer any solo content at lvl 60 what-so-ever. Just the fact that everything is relatively small and instanced compared to other MMO's takes a bit of the "grand world" feel away from it, however I can live with that. The fact that you cannot farm anything or really do anything at all solo is a total bother though, if I want to log on for an hour and just screw around farm alittle or do something ALL I can do SOLO is foundry stuff and there's literally no real gain in doing it - Foundry completions at lvl 60 should have an AD reward based upon the time it takes to complete or so.

Either that or you should be able to farm meaningful content solo, being forced to play with randoms 24/7 if you want any type of personal gain is just not fun when it's all you can ever do.

Agreed. If I want to farm for better gear I need to be in a party. Makes the 1hr window I have most days go to waste due to current queue issues(which are less prevalent(I hear) in our upcoming update)
  • blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow, it's nice to see so many people agree with me...apparently I'm not alone in this!

You hear us, Cryptic! Solo content for 60s! :)
  • wildswannwildswann Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And here we have the “if you don’t play like I play then you are wrong!” thread.

The OP isn’t suggesting that you all give up your group content or that you must leave your digital summer camp and never see your friends again. He or she just wants some solo content in the upcoming expansions.

These are good questions and by good I mean that they shamelessly support my point instead of reinforcing their original intent.

Most of the game is soloable, all of the game is available to groups. Did the developers not really mean it when they made 90% of the game solo friendly? Were they just asleep at the wheel and now looking to course correct? Will there be a wild swing between solo and group only content now. The OP would like some consistency and I don’t think it is too much to ask; unless the devs are just making this all up as they go, in which case it is quite a lot to ask.

Silly rabbit, most of this game is solo friendly. It is by any defining standard “solo with some multiplayer”. Ask your friends.

Well if you need both phases and one of them is PVP then you are required to PVP aren’t you? Or is your point that you don’t need the PVP portion?

At any rate there are people who would rather shave off their own fingerprints than subject themselves to the twitchy hormone pool of PVP. And they have fewer options because of this.

It is what it is but let’s not try to call it fair or even. Simple math says it just aint so.

But more to the point, do the devs not know their playerbase? For whom did they make this game? Did they have any vision of their path forward when they did? Or did they just get some IP handed to them and have been running and gunning even since, because that’s what it looks like. Leaving out code, importing known exploits, making everything solo-accessible until – Hey now we are guild only!

This is end content, end content is not soloable!
    That’s a fair point. And to be fair, no game has ever really had solo friendly endgame content. The end game is all about corralling the players, slowing them down and hiding the fact that they are done with everything until the next expansion. And I don’t really have a rebuttal for that.

It would be innovative and new to have something like solo friendly end game content but given the performance up to now, traditional is about the best we are going to get and we will all be lucky if that stays solid.

So get a guild, cross your fingers and fight. Innovation is for the next game.

Good Post... flew over a lot of heads I think :D