test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any plans for RP friendly features?

ranor1995ranor1995 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Including; custom emotes, a walk function, RP servers, etcetera? I mean, c'mon, it's DnD! This game should be ABOUT the roleplay!
Post edited by ranor1995 on

Comments

• Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have recently come to the conclusion that RP & Video Games is officially dead. Sure there are few here and there. Some refuse to call it quits and persevere with their RP Guilds or Sites trying to contribute.

The truth is, as disparaging as it is...RP in Video Games is dead. There is no market for it, No support for it. No effort put towards it and as far as game makers and publisher's are concerned that customer does not even exist and certainly not worth catering to. There will never be another SWG or Ultima or any MMO that has RP'ers, at least not enough to warrant any attention or support.

All the games going forward will be catered towards the Azzhurts and Epeen crowd. Nothing will be designed as a world that can be engaged in via the characters perspective.

Good news is since my search for MMO RP has officially finished and I have given up on it completely I went to a Hobby Shop/Comic Book store. I was completely shocked and very happy to see what I thought was a form of gaming that died in 1992 was actually alive and thriving.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Tons of people playing everything from D&D to Warhammer, to Cthulu, you name it! Tables full of people 50+!!!

The isles were packed with folks buying everything from Dice, to miniatures. I was totally blown away. Here is the real crazy part. The customers were...Normal! Yes, normal! Suit and Tie folks, people that shaved, people that weren't fat! There were hot chicks buying Dice!!! Yes, Hot chicks! Like Librarian hot! Normal people!!! Geek truly has become chic!

So although the Table Top gamer looking to fill that lost void through PC Gaming is never going to find it. The whole time he has been searching through his PC to rekindle that spark that got him interested in fantasy gaming. That thing that got him started way back when and he thought was just a long forgotten "time" has become mainstream and popular right beneath his nose!

While we have been on our PC's searching for RP in MMO's and not finding it the Pen & Paper genere has been totally thriving to a whole new generation! If I knew then what I know now I would have given up on looking for RP in MMO's 7 years ago!
  • Options
    veiran2veiran2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 64
    edited June 2013
    Until they can think of a way to charge us Zen to Roleplay, RPers won't be anywhere near a priority.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Roleplaying is alive and well, if you look for it. There are serious RP guilds around, there are roleplayers probably standing right next to you in game and you didn't even notice.

Walk? Enter /bind . ++walk in the chat window. Turns the . (period) key into a walk toggle switch, or substitute whichever unused key you prefer.
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey Rannor1995,

I don't really role play so i'm not really sure what you are after however, when I was playing the Preview Shard I noticed there is a place to add your characters history/story and some cool stuff.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter Nights 2 still has a lot RP shards, if you are looking for RP friendly engine.
    MMOs by their very nature arent' RP friendly, though RPing in MMO is possible. NW isn't really bad in this department, though naturally it isn't even remotely as RP friendly as LoTRO, for example.
  • Options
    desgallantdesgallant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    It is my opinion that Neverwinter Online is, perhaps, the only MMO on the market today capable of supporting a group of RPers.

The Foundry provides a powerful tool to 'edit' the game world and create your own quests and storylines, which you can then play through in a role played manner. You simply have to find the right people. I belong to a guild, currently, that is 'heavy RP' - they do it all the time and there are supporting Foundry quests.

Furthermore, to walk, it is /walk 1. To stop walking, you type it in again, or talk to an NPC.
    Custom emotes may be accomplished with /me, though they are text based only at this point.

RP servers... may never happen. This game does not have the population to support a fourth server. I honestly doubt that it ever will. It does not have a global appeal; the hype for Neverwinter Online wasn't very huge when it started and it is easily eclipsed by games like Guild Wars II, and will be severely crippled by ESO when it hits shelves.

The best I can tell you is to search for an RP guild using your CURRENT server, and try to get as involved with their story as possible. Or, write your own. It's a game, with people in it, and some people enjoy the same things you do.

Baffling.
    Code: NW-DS2NASHFD
    Name: A Long Way Away from Home
    Type: Storyline / Average Combat.
    Time: 10-15 Minutes, depending on whether you like to read or not.