test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To those complaining about leveling too quickly.

pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The answer is NOT nerfing exp. All nerfing exp is going to cause is a massive grind. Nerfing exp forces people to do things they do not want to do. If someone wants to quest to 60, they can do that. If someone wants to pvp or dungeon their way to 60, they can also do that. The problem, currently is that people cannot do all of those things on one character without outleveling either quests or dungeons.

OH MY GOD NERF EX-..NO! Stop it, down boy!

So what, then, is the answer, you ask? Either level scaling, or sidekicking. I prefer sidekicking, as it would allow everyone to do whatever they wanted at any level without forcong their problems on other people (endgame aside since lowbies would obviously not have the required gearscore.).

Embrace the sidekicking movement, and please stop trying to delude yourselves into thinking an exp nerf would turn this game into anything but a grindfest.
Post edited by pizzamurai on

Comments

• jeffislegendaryjeffislegendary Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's almost like they want you to get 60 asap, see everything that can be bought with $$$, and start forking over the cash
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Level 60 epic skirmishes would add a bunch of stuff to do at max level. I keep out leveling the skirmishes and I'm only level 40.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ya they should allow manual Skirmishes like you can with Dungeons.
  • hann1bal13hann1bal13 Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    I barely did anything outside if questing and finished most quests except the dungeons because I out leveled them and I still hit cap before the final zone.
  • egnigemegnigem Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The thing is that there's so much to do in this game; main story quest, pvp, dungeons, skirmishes, foundry and all that gives good exp. Like the op said, you can't do all without out level some aspects of the game, that's why that I do think we need a low exp nerf, because you're telling us to choose what to do you're telling us to not fully enjoy this game till lv 60.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    we need a low exp nerf, because you're telling us to choose what to do you're telling us to not fully enjoy this game till lv 60.

Wrong. I am telling you an exp nerf will throw off the entire balance of the game pertaining to leveling. With sidekicking, level is NEVER an issue, as a level 10 could join a 50 dungeon and be mildly competitive. A level 50 could join the queue for blacklake terror and be scaled all the way down to that level to experience it without being able to faceroll or ruin everyone elses exp.

Sidekicking is the best of both worlds, and the only solution without creating several more questing zones for each level bracket and there are literally no true downsides.

Are you honestly arguing against people choosing what they want to do?
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I didn't start doing Skirmishes, Dailys and Pvp til 30, and I was still out leveling the main story arc..All those named rewards they gave, I was already too high for,not quite as fun to get.

Also, what is the point in seeking out a nice piece of gear, when you where for an hour or two tops ?

I'd at least like the option to turn off xp. I'm 55, and still have 3 areas to do, I will prob be 60 before leaving my current area. And I just stopped playing because I want to see this levels skirmish before I out level it.
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    hann1bal13 wrote: »
    I barely did anything outside if questing and finished most quests except the dungeons because I out leveled them and I still hit cap before the final zone.
    Same here, only did each dungeon once and I still had 2 zones and part of another left when I hit 60.
  • flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2013
    It's not the quest exp that I think needs to be nerfed, but the praying. Praying gives so much experience points for literally hitting two buttons. I don't want to skip on praying either, since I love me those celestial coins.
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bump, since people are still keeping this tired notion of an exp nerf alive.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Now, now, bumping is a no-no in the RoC. But I don’t mind giving a bit of a bump myself in the form of a question.

What is the current state of accessibility to other toons of different levels? I remember in CoH it was amazing, you could group with almost anyone of any level. It was effortless to get groups and then dissolve them and move on to the next group.

In truth I don’t think Cryptic was even at the reigns when all that went into effect for CoH but they will be haunted by the good design of their previous game until the last old hero fades from the pages.
    edited June 2013
    There is no accessibility. The only thing in this game that scales your level up is PVP (So the formula is most certainly there), and nothing scales it down to my knowledge.

Everything else is entirely level locked.
  • therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    In truth I don’t think Cryptic was even at the reigns when all that went into effect for CoH but they will be haunted by the good design of their previous game until the last old hero fades from the pages.
    Sidekicking and exemplaring were indeed added to CoH by Cryptic, long before they sold the game to NCSoft. Level-matching (where all teammates were "sidekicked" or "exemplared" to the leader's level) happened afterwards, IIRC, as a response to CO's introduction of it. I don't know when (or even if) CoH had automated teaming tools, but even without them it wasn't that hard to get a team together.

I fully support level-matching. The only issue I had with it in CoH was that there was still a very strong disparty across certain level brackets due to strange limitations on the game's "gear," but I'm not sure if those limitations would translate to this game.

That said, I also fully support an optional means of slowing or stopping one's own xp gain (as opposed to a general xp nerf, which I think is a bad idea). I find it remarkably useful in games that have it, especially those focused on story, and it seems like it would co-exist very smoothly with level-matching.

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • frontfootfrontfoot Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    Wrong. I am telling you an exp nerf will throw off the entire balance of the game pertaining to leveling. With sidekicking, level is NEVER an issue, as a level 10 could join a 50 dungeon and be mildly competitive. A level 50 could join the queue for blacklake terror and be scaled all the way down to that level to experience it without being able to faceroll or ruin everyone elses exp.

Sidekicking is the best of both worlds, and the only solution without creating several more questing zones for each level bracket and there are literally no true downsides.

Are you honestly arguing against people choosing what they want to do?

For me, it only partially helps me do what I want to do. I want to get to know an area, learn what path goes where and the general map, exploring to find new nooks and cranies, getting to build a general feel of the area, its ambience and vistas, and the NPC's inhabiting it, not just breeze through it in a an hour or two of gameplay before I got to know the area. I struggle to remember what most of the zones were like now. I want to enjoy the journey on the way to 60 and spend more time in that journey.

The side kicking would help with the pain of not being able to do some skirmishes or the feeling that I couldn't do foundry missions (which I really enjoy) or I'd overlevel everything.

I'd prefer to offer a rested XP bonus for people who have less time and wish to "rush" to max level to play the end game content.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    therealted wrote: »
    Sidekicking and exemplaring were indeed added to CoH by Cryptic, long before they sold the game to NCSoft. Level-matching (where all teammates were "sidekicked" or "exemplared" to the leader's level) happened afterwards, IIRC, as a response to CO's introduction of it. I don't know when (or even if) CoH had automated teaming tools, but even without them it wasn't that hard to get a team together.

What happened to you Cryptic? How did you get so far away from the advances you yourself made?
  • bolcien1bolcien1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    here is an answer that might please everyone, when doing character creation choose what speed you want to go at? (just like in DnD at the start of a campaign) chose Fast (current xp gains) Medium (1/2 or 3/4 xp gains) or slow (1/4 or 1/2 xp gains) that way we can chose how we want to play, be it a nice slow grind, or a fast grind, or the insane, "I blinked and I"m lvl 60 lulz!"

They want the game to be like D&D (granted it's 4th edition) then give us the choice of xp gains. it'll satisfy those who want the fast leveling and those who want the slower grind and enjoy the story arc and let us appreciate the art and work thats put into each zone.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter hasn't even officially launched yet. Star Trek Online went through all the same arguments (Levels too fast, ZOMG!) - after three years though, there's more content that you can shake a stick at and a lot more still on the way. People are wanting it all and they want it now.

I concur with the OP: the problem is the level-caps on quests and what not. I haven't experienced running into that cap myself, but I am seeing threads in these forums from people who have, and I don't mean part-based stuff or skirmishes. But rather the basic solo-based, story-driven general content stuff.

I think there are some serious balance issues with some of these (solo-based) end-bosses that cause me to want to level up higher than "normal" - but I fear for reaching that cap. As for leveling progression speed as it is right now: I thinks it's perfectly fine on the scaling curve it's on right now: each level takes (approximately) twice as long to reach as the level before it, etc.
  • assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    They will increase level cap to 70/80 in next expansion, so no xp nerf needed
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't care what they do as long as they find a solution. If I can queue up for lowbie skirmishes and be scaled to appropriate level, I'm ok with that. If they're not going to allow this then my main has missed content permanently. They need to find a resolution to outleveling skirmishes and never being able to do them.

As for my alts, they need to find a way to slow leveling. Invocation that I can do every hour should not be giving me enough xp to level. In fact I would like to see XP gone from invocation all together. As for PVP, I would love to be able to turn off XP entirely from this part of the game.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This will create a massive grind? People make it to 60 in a week in this game. We are so far away from a 'massive grind" that if it took 10 times as long to max out Xp it still would not be a massive grind. The "grind" that is feared here is far more likely to happen due to desired gear acquisition, than anything having to do with wanting to get to max level. People will repeat the same quests over and over again for gear. This is not even remotely required for leveling to max level.
  • b3nstoneb3nstone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I didn't have time to enjoy the gear upgrades I got from 1-60 since I out leveled them so fast. I had to skip dungeons/skrim. content because I out leveled them doing quests while waiting for the queue. It would have been a much more enjoyable experience for me to level 50% slower.
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    This will create a massive grind? People make it to 60 in a week in this game. We are so far away from a 'massive grind" that if it took 10 times as long to max out Xp it still would not be a massive grind. The "grind" that is feared here is far more likely to happen due to desired gear acquisition, than anything having to do with wanting to get to max level. People will repeat the same quests over and over again for gear. This is not even remotely required for leveling to max level.

Yes, it will. What you do not understand is that an exp nerf hitting across the board will require one of two things to happen.
    1 people are forced to do things they may not want to do in either pvp, foundry, dungeons, or skirmishes
    2 more quests will have to be added along the way so people are not underleveled going into the next zones.

Either way, nerfing exp would majorly screw up the flow this game currently has without balancing that out with more quests which I seriously doubt is going to happen any time in the near future aside from the high level end.

You seriously need to consider the ramifications of the things you say. If leveling took ten... even five times longer, most people would give up before ever making it out of blacklake with the rediculous amount of grinding they would have to do.
    edited June 2013
    Yes, it will. What you do not understand is that an exp nerf hitting across the board will require one of two things to happen.
    1 people are forced to do things they may not want to do in either pvp, foundry, dungeons, or skirmishes
    2 more quests will have to be added along the way so people are not underleveled going into the next zones.

This is incorrect on both accounts. The key word in your claim is "forces" - no one would be forced to do anything they did not want to do. There is enough Xp in this game in QUESTS ALONE where I did not complete half the quests in each zone and was able to level, NP.
    Either way, nerfing exp would majorly screw up the flow this game currently has without balancing that out with more quests which I seriously doubt is going to happen any time in the near future aside from the high level end.

You seriously need to consider the ramifications of the things you say. If leveling took ten... even five times longer, most people would give up before ever making it out of blacklake with the rediculous amount of grinding they would have to do.

I understand the issue perfectly, and have already considered the ramifications of what I say. I also am an MMO and PnP vet who understands what REAL GRIND is - and it is not found in this game.

As far as your comment on FORCING people to do what they dont want to do, none of the XP options are limited. People can PVP all they want, and there is not a limited source of PVP XP. People can foundry all they want - there is no limit on Foundry XP. People can quest all they want - there is no limit on quest XP that would cause someone to need to do something else. Before you start telling others they need to understand the ramifications of what they say, I think you need to take your own advice.

If Im wrong, please point out to me where XP is limited in this game. Show me how someone who wants to PVP their way to 60 would be forced to do something else other than PVP is XP were slowed down a bit.
  • cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited June 2013
    Nope nerf the xp if PnP leveled this fast the first scenario all the players would me max level. No one would play PnP if that was the case and it holds for online games also. You make boring games people won't keep playing them. Unchallenging fast leveling games = ****ing a boring game!
  • aenedoraenedor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like the faster levelling, is the only reason I am still playing, I did not come to NW to grind and thankfully I don't have to :-) Level 53 from doing 95% quests and no money spent.

You have to remember that most players skip quests yet still 'expect' to hit max level from those quests which they do and then rage quit when they can't get past a boss too high for them.

NW lets everyone gets to max level :-)
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    This is incorrect on both accounts. The key word in your claim is "forces" - no one would be forced to do anything they did not want to do. There is enough Xp in this game in QUESTS ALONE where I did not complete half the quests in each zone and was able to level, NP.

I understand the issue perfectly, and have already considered the ramifications of what I say. I also am an MMO and PnP vet who understands what REAL GRIND is - and it is not found in this game.

As far as your comment on FORCING people to do what they dont want to do, none of the XP options are limited. People can PVP all they want, and there is not a limited source of PVP XP. People can foundry all they want - there is no limit on Foundry XP. People can quest all they want - there is no limit on quest XP that would cause someone to need to do something else. Before you start telling others they need to understand the ramifications of what they say, I think you need to take your own advice.

If Im wrong, please point out to me where XP is limited in this game. Show me how someone who wants to PVP their way to 60 would be forced to do something else other than PVP is XP were slowed down a bit.

I am speaking from a purely questing perspective. Yes, people who want to dungeon, pvp, or foundry their way to 60 could indeed still do so. Albeit, significantly more dungeon runs for each level... causing massive burnout from the selection available( at which point you tell them they will be doing those exact same dungeons at 60 if they want any truly challenging content). Foundry levelers are not affected at all, if they play solo. Pvpers would also not be affected unless they wanted to rush to a specific level bracket

Questers get shafted. I wholeheartedly disagree with your asssessment that there are such a wealth of quests that you could outlevel the content. My first toon I leveled purely through questing, every single quest available aside from the dungeon and skirmish ones, and by the time I was 25 or so I was 2 levels below my current zone and had no choice but to use some foundry quests to catch up.

Yes, when I hit 60 there was plenty more content to do at 59-60 but I fail to see how that equates to leveling too quickly when every zone below my level was full completed. A straight exp nerf is NOT the answer.

A seriously low number of quests per zone (and in kind, seriously tiny zones) are more of a culprit to fast leveling than too much exp is.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wholeheartedly disagree with your asssessment that there are such a wealth of quests that you could outlevel the content.

Are we playing the same game!? 69819.gif

Ok getting back to work.... have fun defending that one!!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm all for an xp nerf. Specifically, remove the XP from invoking
    edited June 2013
    I wholeheartedly disagree with your asssessment that there are such a wealth of quests that you could outlevel the content. My first toon I leveled purely through questing, every single quest available aside from the dungeon and skirmish ones, and by the time I was 25 or so I was 2 levels below my current zone and had no choice but to use some foundry quests to catch up.

Im speaking from experience. I havent run half the quest content on multiple toons that have already outleveled that content.

On my second toon I made sure to run the stuff I did not run on my first character, having to ignore alot of the zones I played on my first character to do so, just so that I could experience the content I missed the first time.

A seriously low number of quests per zone (and in kind, seriously tiny zones) are more of a culprit to fast leveling than too much exp is.

The issue you are likely experiencing is that many of the quests are in a linear fashion from each NPC. There might be 5 NPCs in a zone that give quests, but 30-50 quests or more in that zone, because you have to do the first quest and turn it in to get the next 2 then do those 2 to get the next 3 or 4 etc....

I usually get done with 2 entire quest lines before they want to send me to another zone already because I over leveled the one I am in. On my second toon I made sure to do the quest lines from different NPCs I did not talk to the first time around simply so that I could see all of the content. I have not had to overlap much yet, which tells me theres at least 2x the amount of Xpneeded per zone questing alone to outlevel the zone.
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Would love to have sidekicking. I could go back and do entire zones I ended up skipping without trying to, I can go back and do skirmishes I skipped without trying to, and I could do join my lower level friends with a character I enjoy playing without worrying about trivializing content for them. Win-win-win-win situation!