test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nice boss design

Comments

• aepervius1972aepervius1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited June 2013
    Epic thread.

You know what i would like as a new class ? The "add" class.

Class feature : you don't do much damage, but every once in a while, or on timer, or at random you spawn 3 to 5 annoying duplicate of yourself, and flood the mob.
  • eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Karrundrax and dralcoholic, are my favorite one.
    enuf said.
  • kyros37kyros37 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This thread is full of win and lulz :)
  • nibby75nibby75 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This thread totally made my day. :D
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    DOES seem a bit... redundit now don't it. The saddest part, theres a ton of new 60's that don't have a clue about how to win in the final boss fights.. you know the one where you hit boss, kite fight 1000000000 adds, hit boss, fight kite 100000000 adds.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dizznutzz wrote: »
    I would rather tank n spank than put up with the 15 billion adds per boss fight. OP speaks the truth...very little effort into the boss fights. Oh...but wait guys... this is BETA. That's what the fanboys will shout! Your post OP is futile against the fanboys! Especially the ones exploiting to get all the kewl gears!

Oh, there is effort in every boss fight. It just rests on the back of the CW.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    This is so wrong. lots of bosses have different mechanics. Some bosses spawn adds on a timer, while other spawn adds at a certain health gate. The really good bosses spawn adds with no discernible pattern, which makes it very hard to deal with.

Yes, totally different mechanics. I don't see what all the complaining is about. Just look at the core of the game name AD&D........that is all you really need to know.

Let's that that one sentence.... AD&D...
    Now let's look at some random boss battles from random settings...

Strahd ( Ravenloft ) : no add's... guerilla tactics by Strahd through out the campaign before a final battle where he uses many abilities and spells.

Factol Skall ( Planescape ) : minor adds, unintelligent undead, Demi Lich boss, plethora of spells, room has undead healing properties, Skall has many defensive magics, Demi Lich magical items and spells at his disposal. Trap the Soul, Power Word Kill, Banshee Wail...

Soth ( Dragonlance ) : some add's, but mostly everything in Dargaard Keep doesn't care for him too much except for his soldiers that died with him. Death Knight, mean mother f***er, Straight tank and spank, Fireball, PWK, Some minions detailed in a few novels, 2 red dragon wyrmlings, undead.... Caradoc sidekick

Sticking to Forgotten Realms...

Larloch : just.... no..... let's not....

Szass Tamm : See above

Arklem Greeth: Valindra's former boss, currently deceased... if we was to revisit him.. One add, a demon of signifcant power who could gate in another demon, Arklem could summon undead to his aid, along with the 4 quartermasters ( Valindra used to be one ) plus a multitude of other wizards, necromancers and mages...

Fzoul : Who needs add's when one can melt your face ?

Quenthal : Doable, Drow High Priestess of House Baenere, cocky but powerful, multitude of spells, able to gate in several demons of very strong power, High Priestess of Lolth

Lady Pentinent : Straight up fight, but wont be easy....

in summary, AD&D is not about add's...but about strategy and bosses with a multitude of skills, spells, abilities, defensive protections and high intelligence.
  • kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I finally did the last Dungeon in this game where you kill the brain boss. I keep telling my friends, it's ok it will get better and boss mechanic will change and it will be fun. Finally when fighting the brain boss he p.oop gazillion add phrased after phrased, got so annoy with it because of the boring kill add and back to boss. Needless to say, we have decided it the end for us because the epic version will just be grinding the same Dungeon with the same mechanic.
  • greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought in DnD clerics healed people and buffed and attacked also. I hate the 4th edition rules why take away healing from clerics, 4th edition sucks all the good ADnD was in the 3.5 rules edition 2nd edition was good also. They dumbed the game down to much
    You mean "D&D," not "AD&D." AD&D was an "advanced" (read: more mathematics-heavy) ruleset for 1st & 2nd edition. There was no 3.5 AD&D.
    4e didn't take healing away from clerics. It simply made it so that clerics don't have to concentrate on healing 100% of the time. If you think 4e is "dumbed down too much," then either you haven't actually played much of it, or you're the type who prefers as much maths & stat-twinking as possible.
    As for it sucking, well... that's a matter of opinion. Being a player since the early 90s, I've played every version of D&D. I disliked the ease with which you could break 3.x to make ungodly-powerful characters by lv10, and I really disliked the overly complicated rules for grappling. 2nd ed was spread way too thin, and had the irritating THAC0 system. But some people like it, so I can't say it was bad. Just not my cuppa tea.

On the OP's topic: I agree that every boss being an add-parade is ridiculous. I would like to see some solo bosses that require strategy and/or puzzles to defeat, instead of just kiting & picking off adds for 15 minutes.
  • greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    efaicia wrote: »
    It was impossible for this cleric and i tried 4-5 times without AS (because we are going to have to be without it soon anyway, when I finaly gave in and put it on my bar I could finish it.
    AS isn't going away. It's being made less exploitable. Not being able to trivialize all content via AS does not mean you have to "be without it" at all.
    I was seriously confused as to whether or not that was supposed to be a group zone. Those wolves all by themselves are enough to make a cleric rage, then the RimeHound? *RAGE*
    Okay, on this we agree. I just did the bloody Rime Hound, and even my TR of doom had trouble.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The brain boss in Dread Vault would be so easy to change and make it both challenging and different without any of those trash adds.

Just the brain and the 4 big tentacles (that respawn eventually if killed).

- All adds removed and tentacles unchanged.
    - His gigantic AoE on the ground scales with the amount of tentacles that are alive and not engaged in combat. If no tentacle is engaged it covers the whole area and wipes the party (let's say 50000 unmitigated damage). If all are engaged it covers only 1/5 of the area and deals 1/5 of the damage.
    - At 66% (only once) he submerges and spawns all T1 bosses as illusions (ONLY the bosses, NO adds). These bosses are identical to their normal/epic counterparts, the only difference is that they have a debuff that lasts 30 seconds. When the debuff runs out, they disappear. If you hit them, the duration of the debuff is refreshed. Pretty much you have to survive the bosses for 30 seconds without hitting them.
    - While submerged, the boss regains health, the more he is submerged, the more health he regains.
    - After he emerges for the first time, he adds one move to his repertoire. A single target (red circle on the ground) knockback that pushes you to the edge, killing you.
    - At 33% (only once) he submerges and spawns all other T2 bosses. Same as 66% phase.
    - After he emerges for the second time, he adds another move to his repertoire. A close range AoE that deals damage to those in, while restoring himself. (similar to the undead general's one, but more powerful and with bigger area)
    - At 0% he gives you loot.

... this is what I do when I'm bored. I imagine boss fights.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, my favorite boss encounters are those few with the genius mechanics of 'insane amounts of adds that constantly spawn so there's no end to them until the boss dies'. Oh and those others with the constant swarm of red circles that you have to move out of.

They. Are. Awesome.

*Snore*
  • cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited June 2013
    Don't blame the devs it is the gamers that choose this type of gameplay. Ever since WOW and casuals gamers we have been given <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> including not exciting scripted boss fights, even in raids, that all you pansies think are so epic to fight. If only real gaming would come back to the world.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was impossible for this cleric and i tried 4-5 times without AS (because we are going to have to be without it soon anyway, when I finaly gave in and put it on my bar I could finish it.
    I was seriously confused as to whether or not that was supposed to be a group zone. Those wolves all by themselves are enough to make a cleric rage, then the RimeHound? *RAGE*

Was easy for my cleric when I took advantage of game "mechanics". Pull him to previous room (or previous previous?) knock him off the ledge. Boom, quest done. Next!
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    My favorite boss will be the one I can add to my foundry campaign.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    cookjk wrote: »
    Don't blame the devs it is the gamers that choose this type of gameplay. Ever since WOW and casuals gamers we have been given <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> including not exciting scripted boss fights, even in raids, that all you pansies think are so epic to fight. If only real gaming would come back to the world.

Bosses in Tera were pretty neat, the encounters had adds but I never got the impression that boss mechanics were limited to adds. Also, there was/is more emphasis on reading animation tells. It just felt epic.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Perspective; sometimes you can't see the boss for the adds.

Truth is (and this is a breaking story!), Cryptic devs are paid by the Add.

100% true!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    can't hit the ******* boss from the truckload of adds
  • nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love the one boss where you push adds off, then more spawn and then you push mobs off again, and then more spawn and you push them off again, and then more spawn and you push them off again, then by this time you can't push them off and run around in a circle until the boss is dead... It is a blasty blast!
  • thezappfethezappfe Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Bosses in Tera were pretty neat, the encounters had adds but I never got the impression that boss mechanics were limited to adds. Also, there was/is more emphasis on reading animation tells. It just felt epic.

Tera had great dungeons, but the garden variety quests were atrocious.
  • tursiotursio Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2013
    Overall, I like the amount and variety of adds in the Mad Dragon fight. The combination of endlessly respawning imps+warlocks and the other one-time spawns that occur when the dragon reaches certain health thresholds requires skill to manage and defeat, but at least does have different ways you can go about it.

For example, during the final adds, you can either kite/CC the Erineyes away from the boss while DPSers finish off the dragon to win the dungeon, or you can systematically stunlock the Erineyes one at a time to prevent them from healing, allowing you to kill them. Both strategies have risks and challenges associated with them, and may be better for some team compositions than for others.

Although the number of adds in that fight is large, the number is not astronomical, and each of the adds has a clear and distinct strategic purpose for existing in the fight, and a correspondingly clear strategic reward if you kill or disable them: getting the imps off your cleric means the cleric can kite properly again; choking a warlock means it isn't popping your teammates up for a bit; killing an Erineyes means it stops providing AoE heals. In that sense, even though it's "just a boss with his adds," the Mad Dragon fight has a surprising amount of strategic depth.

This seems to stand in contrast to some of the later dungeon boss fights, where nearly all of the adds seem to just be there to provide disastrous melee or ranged DPS, which will boringly melt the face of whoever incurs their wrath.

Frozen Heart (particularly on Epic) is an interesting borderline case, in that the adds are indeed mostly comprised of facemelty DPS things, but most of their attacks are actually slow AoE swings that are telegraphed severely, allowing for strategies where the cleric kites them in wide arcs around the room (triggering nostalgia for certain EQ1 raidboss fights) while the rest of the team mostly just kills the archer adds (which can poke the cleric to death) and DPS the boss. This case is interesting mostly because it subverts the otherwise increasingly dominant paradigm of "HURR! DPS ADDS SMASH! FACE GOES MELT!" by allowing for strong kiting play that isn't utterly dependent on a CW chain-singularity-ing everything.

Then there's Epic Temple of the Spider, whose final boss is pretty much the definition of "facemelty add phase" if I've ever seen it. Very little thinking to do there; either your CW (and it really does seem like you must have one) locks down everything, and your cleric has a ton of defense and is always running around inside the blue circle... or you wipe in hilariously short order.

Basically, I think the game will be healthier the more strategically interesting fights can be designed for it -- as those kinds of fights can be legitimately challenging yet winnable even without ideal gear and team composition. When it comes down to it, a facemelty "We must overgear our way past this!!" fight with little else to offer in terms of strategic depth is... well, it's kind of boring. Certainly imo, at least.
  • herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    dizznutzz wrote: »
    I would rather tank n spank than put up with the 15 billion adds per boss fight. OP speaks the truth...very little effort into the boss fights. Oh...but wait guys... this is BETA. That's what the fanboys will shout! Your post OP is futile against the fanboys! Especially the ones exploiting to get all the kewl gears!

It goes deeper than that. I want this game to be a relaxing game of simpleminded fun where no class is needed, all classes contribute, and just about any pickup group can finish just about all of the content, including the ones that drop fat lewt. That was the good old fun game that was City of Heroes at its best. I would like this game to feature similar game play, because at its best, it already does.

I have played the progression raids of conventional MMOs. I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked... Really, that rubbish just gets to a point where it feels like pounding nails into the wall with your forehead. Enough of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I want a game that's fun.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I think the balance in boss fights is okay, 1 add and 200 bosses, its fine atm.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    Again wow...
    this is so full of fanboys :rolleyes:

You are a fanboy!
    tarmalen wrote: »
    All your tears belong to me.

NO.
    I swallowed my tears when i was a BABY.
    thezappfe wrote: »

Urgh yeah tera was a nice breath of fresh air, but then it ended up being a gear wins fight. Which is stupid.
    And I found the bosses and mobs were 10x faster then you were able to react to.....Which annoyed me.
    it was a great game but it had so much wrong with it. Like lag spikes, bad fps, crappy skins for the human race. TERRIBLE character customisation, AND those pedophilic elins were disgusting.

But it was some ok pvp until they unbalanced the game so bad it's unreal.
    itheryel wrote: »
    I think the balance in boss fights is okay, 1 add and 200 bosses, its fine atm.

200 Mad dragons. :( no pls
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    thezappfe wrote: »

Yeah, Tera did the dungeons and boss fights well-although there is more interactivity with the environment in NW (switches/traps etc). One thing I really like about NW is the single player dungeons that are part of the story line; I guess they feel more like a single player rpg than an mmo. The open area quests are a bit generic- with the constantly respawning mobs just mulling around as in all mmos.
  • thorfossthorfoss Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tyr216 wrote: »
    I agree about the combo fields needing to be expanded on in that game. As it is right now, you can completely ignore them and not suffer any impact on game play whatsoever. I find the coordination of combo fields taking place in PvP much more than PvE, and that's why I feel like there is a lack of depth to GW2's PvE. Every boss fight pretty much comes down to knowing when to dodge. We're experiencing something similar here in NWO. It pretty much comes down to rounding up the adds and avoiding damage. While this sort of simplicity isn't always a bad thing, it does become repetitious, which can get boring.

I think the general complaint about this game's PvE is not the combat mechanics themselves. It's the fights. The only way I see them ramping up the difficulty is by giving bosses more health and more waves of adds. This type of difficulty slider takes away from the planning element of end-game PvE. In other games like WoW and Rift where there are raids, there is a certain level of everyone having to know the fights and their role within the fight. There's multiple phases where those roles shift and you have to go into it with the right strategy in order to find success. Don't get me wrong; I'm not advocating making this game more like WoW, because some troll will just say "go play wow", but I think the developers can add a bit more strategy to the fights in this game, mainly in the highest tier of difficulty.

It can drop the same loot as easier dungeons; I'm not interested in exclusivity. Just give us a challenge. Let's put this fun and awesome combat system to use instead of making every fight feel like a copy/paste job. The upcoming zone, Gauntwhatever, is a step in the right direction just because it looks like it requires more group coordination, but I won't be surprised when the end fight still boils down to handling adds and not standing in red circles, and that's something I think the devs can and need to work on.

i do agree tbh..
    about any fight in dungeons is about dodging the fire and controlling/killing the adds. but sadly the later instances of the current end game is kinda all about the adds right?.
    like in FH.. buckets off adds.. where only the archers were to be killed.. the rest was treated like unkillable and just kited while the boss is slowly killed.

it feels like fighting against the mechanics, not with them.

also foolishly enough i went as a GF that can take a beating and hold agro..

but even after the changes that is coming (reduce on healing agro and increase of tank agro).. sure i can kite around adds.. but since it does not revolve about killing them or doing anything but make a congaline...

i honestly thought i would tank stuff that were to be killed.. have a challenge keeping the agro off those who cant take a beating..
  • fabaelfabael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Perspective; sometimes you can't see the boss for the adds.

Truth is (and this is a breaking story!), Cryptic devs are paid by the Add.

100% true!

This! :) Also as a cleric I pretty much am running around in circles looking at the floor for red circles while trying to miss the big hits from the big mobs and hoping that my team are taking out the archers and the smaller adds.

But please... MOAR ADDS!!!! there just isn't enough of them ;)

Epic thread!
  • jishinkaminarijishinkaminari Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought in DnD clerics healed people and buffed and attacked also. I hate the 4th edition rules why take away healing from clerics, 4th edition sucks all the good ADnD was in the 3.5 rules edition 2nd edition was good also. They dumbed the game down to much

For the record, 4th edition clerics heal just as good or better than 3.5 ones. Don't blame 4ed. ;)
  • jishinkaminarijishinkaminari Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As for the add-galore in here, who doesn't love it!?
    This way we have absolutely no time to check how miserably weak the bosses themselves are!
    Glorified meatbags I'd say...
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Got to give it to the Devs, your bosses are amazing, every fight I mean, I just love kiting adds in a big circle while the tank does nothing and 2 wizards and a rogue hit it. Love simply relying on pots man, totally awesome game design. I also think it's just so awesome their is none of those stupid puzzles or strategies for each boss and each instance, really love that unique style of play where everything is a perpetual gear check, gotta love that system...yeah, really clever of you guys to come up with that my hat goes off to you.

Say what is your guys favourite boss? Is it the one with the pirate hat? You know the one where you glitch the end and kite the mobs and hit the boss? Or is it the ice giant, you know the one! You kite the mobs and you hit the boss...well there is a lot to choose from, the devs did a really good job on saving money by changing the palette on the same instance, really gotta say well done!

like eddy murphy once said,..if you don`t like it, get the f.. out