test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

June 20 = Single Shard?

cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just wondering, as the end-goal of having a single shard in use has been mentioned.

So - with the game going officially live on June 20, will the game also be moving to a single-shard system at that point?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think they've said anything about that. Personally I doubt it will happen at that time.
  • daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It was meant to happen "shortly after release" whether they were refering to their official launch or OBT at the time who knows. I personally hope they'll delay it until they can ensure proper server stability.
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »
    Just wondering, as the end-goal of having a single shard in use has been mentioned.

So - with the game going officially live on June 20, will the game also be moving to a single-shard system at that point?

Server merge so soon ? Oh man I expected more from this game , under a month and already the servers are half empty and we need server merging D:
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    Server merge so soon ? Oh man I expected more from this game , under a month and already the servers are half empty and we need server merging D:
    It was plan long before now.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • jakula1jakula1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

They apparently merge the servers in their other games on official release as well. Really there is no need for separate servers anyway, it has nothing to do with population.

Also on my server last night (Aussie prime time) there was 9 instances of PE open with 100+ people in each. Along with half a dozen smaller population instances of PE. I really don't consider that half empty.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013

half empty? I dont think so, it also have other possibility which is for creating a "fresh" server without wipe the old one :D
  • raygarianraygarian Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been looking all over hoping that they'd release a new server on release date. I started a character but I'm not sure if I should keep playing or wait.
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Doubt they will merge the servers until there's virtually no players left so I wouldn't expect it till around august.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is a new server. It is called Mimic. You can play on it now if you wish. But because it is the preview test shard, don't expect things to last there. It is the only new server there will ever be. This is the way Cryptic has been doing things for years now. It is not going to change.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

It's not "that" kind of server merging! :) PWE uses a different server architecture than most other MMOs, so a server here is different from a server elsewhere. Basically, I think there were only three to distribute the peak load (especially when logging in) of the initial release, so that queues would be shorter and dissolve faster. Merging is really not a sign of decreasing popularity.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Not the point of a "server merge" in Cryptic games. It is absolutely bass-ackwards that they even have multiple shards here, when Cryptic has already shown in two previous games (Champions Online, Star Trek Online) that they can get around it with the way their games are structured. It's good that there has been talk of getting rid of these "extraneous" shards, as I thought Cryptic had a sudden lapse of judgement in making separate shards to begin with.

Trust me it's a lot better to have one live "shard" where everyone can join together instead of with "ye olde worlde" ancient separate server concept where you have to worry about making toons on the same server or worse, having to switch servers when you find out your friends are on different servers in order to play with them. Whenever it goes into play, it can't come soon enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile