test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

how come good pvpers getting slapped in the face?

Comments

• theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I should start taking screenshots of all the people crying to me, make a collage and post it tomorrow ;)

Because then you would have something to look at while you stroke your e-peen lovingly instead of having to imagine it?
  • maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Youre the one crying here in case you forget that

Not crying, I will probably continue making people afk / leave matches in pvp but now I will have fewer rewards for my hard work :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    Not crying, I will probably continue making people afk / leave matches in pvp but now I will have fewer rewards for my hard work :-/

Funny, in a few months time all you will do is pvp against bots with that attitude of yours.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

"Hard Work"
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    have fun with that.

seems more like the thing to do would be find another team that wants to battle you and have a fair fight with them instead of pwning random noobs, thinking you are good.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Ok, this discussion needs to become a lot less insulting towards each other. ;)
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Hard Work"

Well, anytime gaming starts being called work, I wonder if people are doing it wrong...
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What it comes down to is not everyone does Premades, so they are balancing around that. You shouldnt be rewarded the same as a group in which all 10 players are trying to compete.

Not everyone does premade dungeons groups yet they are balancing around that. They should balance them around pug groups with no cleric.
    edited June 2013
    Nice try with the screenshot, in case you forgot to look at the combatlog : you died.
  • maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The fight lasted 2 minutes, then 4 left and 1 was in their camp, we sat by their camp talkin to the one guy left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    After the update the fight will lasts 2mins but you wont get the glory no more, thats gotta sting.
  • renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    So you want to get full rewards for a no-contest match?
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So you want to get full rewards for a no-contest match?

It would certainly make sports more 'interesting' if a winning team only got 1 point if they completely trash the other team.
  • clickykeyboardclickykeyboard Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    I just doing it for the Daily. Even then I can barely bring myself to play PvP. The mechanics are just so badly designed. There needs to be a way of properly balancing the teams.
  • derangedfetishderangedfetish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More challenging matches get higher rewards. :)

This is something that is basic and should have been included from the start. If both teams are neck and neck and the game lasts 30 minutes the teams should be rewarded for their valiant efforts. Teams which simply steamroll other teams will, of course, be rewarded in something which is adequate for their time put into the match.

That's nothing new. It's something which really should have been there from the beginning. :)

You are incorrect.

What is pretty basic and should've been from the begining is a separate queue for parties with slightly different rules and a bit more rewards: Tournaments.
    Mixing premades and pugs is the design flaw.
    Your "fix" will be annoying as all are diminishing returns mechcanics. It will mean if I get with good players even on a PUG we'll have to start playing conciously worse to avoid hiting the diminishing return point. This is not good design that should've been from the begining. Some form of this already happens as better teams just have players fighting among themselves for points and first place.

Why not take the time to code a basic tournament thing? It would solve all issues an provide an interesting endgame pvp environment, with none of the many disadvantages of your bandage.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Except it's not a diminishing return.

Shorter games result in less rewards but ideally the same rewards over the same amount of time.

This is the concept which dominates most PvP Games. League of Legends, for instance, gives more rewards for more time played. That's how this system is.

This is really nothing new. It simply prevents exploiting the system in an attempt to gain faster returns by either winning or losing quickly.
    You are rewarded based on your performance and the time you put into it. If you have a challenging match you get a reward fitting of your victory or loss. If you don't you get a reward befitting the time and effort you put into the match :)
  • derangedfetishderangedfetish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Except it's not a diminishing return.

Shorter games result in less rewards but ideally the same rewards over the same amount of time.

This is the concept which dominates most PvP Games. League of Legends, for instance, gives more rewards for more time played. That's how this system is.

This is really nothing new. It simply prevents exploiting the system in an attempt to gain faster returns by either winning or losing quickly.
    You are rewarded based on your performance and the time you put into it. If you have a challenging match you get a reward fitting of your victory or loss. If you don't you get a reward befitting the time and effort you put into the match :)

If you manage to pull it of in a way that works as you described, I will swallow my words.
    Nothing to say regarding tournaments though?

And it is a little of a diminishing return, as if I'm wining really fast I can just afk for a few mins and my score won't change so at least it doesn't force me to play at max effectiveness.
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    PREMADES OP!!!! NERF NERF!!! MAKE EVERYONE PUG!

seriously...

I run my own premades but they need to implement something where if someone ques alone they only get paired up with others that qued alone. Whereas if you que with a group you get paired up with other organized groups.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The last few days, I keep reading about slaps to the face. Why isn't anyone calling for a nerf on hands?
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More challenging matches get higher rewards. :)

This is something that is basic and should have been included from the start. If both teams are neck and neck and the game lasts 30 minutes the teams should be rewarded for their valiant efforts. Teams which simply steamroll other teams will, of course, be rewarded in something which is adequate for their time put into the match.

That's nothing new. It's something which really should have been there from the beginning. :)

I don't pvp, but I have to ask if they match players by any criteria other than level? Do they use GS in determining where to send someone in the queue if they pug, and do they match up groups by average GS?
  • foshizzllefoshizzlle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you're playing this game for the pvp, you're doing it wrong.
    edited June 2013
    If you manage to pull it of in a way that works as you described, I will swallow my words.
    Nothing to say regarding tournaments though?

And it is a little of a diminishing return, as if I'm wining really fast I can just afk for a few mins and my score won't change so at least it doesn't force me to play at max effectiveness.

You not playing to your max effectiveness is not a diminishing return though.

Your games are shorter with a smaller reward, but you can get into more games per hour. Congrats you just made as much glory/xp as someone who played as long as you just with less games as theirs were longer.
  • renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    It would certainly make sports more 'interesting' if a winning team only got 1 point if they completely trash the other team.

Cute, a completely pointless analogy.

Sports teams have to play a set amount of time regardless of the differences in their skill. They get the same reward for about the same amount of play.

But you want to get full rewards for playing a match half as long or even shorter? You want more rewards for going up against worse people in addition to the win bonus? You want to get 1400+ glory at level 60 for winning 2 5-minute matches and only 700+ glory for 1 10-minute match?
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The change does not seem like much of a slap in the face. A 10 minute match should not get as big a reward as a 20 minute match. Or, to put it in PvP terms, a team of great warriors facing another team of equally great warriors will receive more glory from their people when they return victorious than a team of great warriors that returns after pillaging a village of women and children. The greater the challenge the more glorious the victory.
  • jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone that knows basic math knows the rewards will work out to about the same over a length of time played in PvP, regardless if you get less glory because you win too fast.
  • ifthirifthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 281 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    krahct wrote: »
    Bad PVP mechanics, poorly designed maps, and an open beta game that still needs tweaking is why this is happening it has nothing to do with you.

I do my two dominations a day to get the AD and then never queue again, classes are too imbalanced. If you want PVP go play something that focuses on PVP. This isn't the game for it.

lol please l2p, kthxbye
  • nostalgiamannostalgiaman Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This thread does a wonderful job of showing why the change is a necessary one. It reeks of entitlement and whining.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To be fair to the OP, Neverwinter seems to have PvP as an afterthought. It isn't well realized as the focus seems to be the PvE aspects.

I'm not sure this will improve soon, but if it does, I hope that PvP is kept in its isolated and contained little space and not in general public. Those that seek PvP in all areas at all times only exist to spread misery and hurt on others bred from a sense of low self-worth or inadequacy with themselves or their own lot in life. If its kept to an arena, then that is fine as all who go to participate are doing so willingly.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • silence1k1llsilence1k1ll Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Shh... you're disagreeing with a "Moderator"... that's how you get banned from the forums.
    I ENJOY PLAYING NWO
  • deinokdeinok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Take out nodes in pvp, 10 people fights, no resurrection, survivors win. End.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]