Install Arc

Upcoming CW changes

Comments

• zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    They don't.

Actually they do.

The changes to chill stacks (remain until freeze is broken, can be stacked on CC immuned targets) make it such that oppressor is slightly more viable (as well as chilling presence).
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zellista wrote: »
    Actually they do.

The changes to chill stacks (remain until freeze is broken, can be stacked on CC immuned targets) make it such that oppressor is slightly more viable (as well as chilling presence).

I agree. Unfortunately most of the feats in this tree are still not very useful.
  • threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    I am seeing alot of nerf but not as much fix for what is broken, and no hard numbers.

This. Yes there are some fixes but what concerns me is that there are very few fixes for well known problems mentioned. Hopefully, they will get added as the build is being tested /crosses fingers.

I don't mind the short range of sudden storm, it would be waaaay too powerful without it. We're standing close in most of the time anyway (at-will feat + cleric flashy ring usually on the tank anyway). But it needs to be able to crit. Without that it's only useful for clearing open world trash.

CoI, RoE, EF - damage calclated as dots. Err wut? Dafuq does that mean. I detest explanations which explain nothing.

EDIT: threw the comments (mine and others expressing opinion in here) out into the general feedback thread. Add your 2 cents there too people. It's pretty much the only venue for hoping to influencing further change.

RoE nerf - sigh, and I wanted to switch my build to actually make a spot for this on my bar. Pure PvP nerfbat but it's going to adversely affect our PvE performance. It might still be viable but it's going to depends heavily on how it works out in practice.

I'm afraid that the fix to chill effects will make thaum specced CoI with chilling presence superior. Too superior for RoE to stay competitive :(.
  • noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Seriously here's what just happened. Even though a rogue can kill me from stealth, a gf can charge and keep me knocked on my *** until i die, and gwf can live through everything i throw at him and basically make me run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, they nerfed the **** out of CW. What. the. ****. wtf?
  • derangedfetishderangedfetish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    RoE shouldn't be nerfed, only fixing it would be nice :).
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    CoI, RoE, EF - damage calclated as dots. Err wut? Dafuq does that mean. I detest explanations which explain nothing.

My best guess is right now each tick is treated as a spell and gets the full benefit of your Power stat - after this, your power stat will be spread out over the course of the entire spell. e.g. a nerf to damage done, small ticks of damage.
  • noniussnoniuss Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    Where is the part where they actually fix the feats and powers that aren't working? All i see is nerfs upon nerfs...on the other hand, TR's which are by far the biggest concern for me in PvP (if they sneak up on me with daze i am dead in 4seconds etc), got one power nerfed and some other meaningless balancing...i don't know if i should roll a TR now or wait to see what the ranged class will be like.
    P.S. I just love how they "fixed" the Shard of endless bugs - rather than reducing the CD for each rank, they go ahead and say the tooltip was at fault not the skill :P
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    noniuss wrote: »
    Where is the part where they actually fix the feats and powers that aren't working? All i see is nerfs upon nerfs...on the other hand, TR's which are by far the biggest concern for me in PvP (if they sneak up on me with daze i am dead in 4seconds etc), got one power nerfed and some other meaningless balancing...i don't know if i should roll a TR now or wait to see what the ranged class will be like.
    P.S. I just love how they "fixed" the Shard of endless bugs - rather than reducing the CD for each rank, they go ahead and say the tooltip was at fault not the skill :P

Having a lvl 60 of each type... and having ported them all to the test server... I wouldn't roll a executioner TR, bugs with bleeds reduce my damage by nearly half... For pure PvP though the certainly not intended 'stealth kill with daggers' build is still OP, but otherwise they took a fairly hefty hit.

What you really need to worry about more is the nerfing of AS for DC's, from my time on the test server CW's and DC's pull the majority of the aggro across a wide group of adds... And then end up kiting so they don't die...
  • kmwismkmwism Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2013
    I was wondering if renegade would be better than thaumaturge after this changes... Im looking for more DPS and crit... Renegade or Thaumature? Please, give your opinions.. ;)
  • budders4200budders4200 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kmwism wrote: »
    I was wondering if renegade would be better than thaumaturge after this changes... Im looking for more DPS and crit... Renegade or Thaumature? Please, give your opinions.. ;)

My opinion is that you should think of your CW as a control class that can dps not a dps class that can control :)

Edit: Grammar fail
  • kmwismkmwism Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2013
    Yes..Control and Dps is what i was aiming for..but as cw was nerfed i thought which path should be better.... i saw that the renegade was nerfed a lot so i dont know.. ;)
    My opinion is that you should think of your CW as a control class that can dps not a dps class that can control :)

Edit: Grammar fail
  • dakxerdakxer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sigh...I've only just gotten to 60 and finally bought some good gear...only to find everything I've learned and been using is now nerfed.
    I should just ask people for money to play the class that nobody wants - it will then get nerfed and everyone else will be happy as their class dodges the hammer. I don't even know if I want to log in and find out how bad my build now is. I'm not a superior player like some of you (who I read and get tips from, so thanks), so I'm guessing that death and disappointment are now in my future.
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    ROE got a crazy nerf. They fixed the bug where using one stack of Ray on tab would apply both stacks, so if you want maximum mitigation on one target you will have to use both charges. Then they additionally reduced the mitigation effect by one third.

Live:
    Put ray on tab -> Cast ray once -> 65% mitigation removed

PTR:
    Put ray on tab -> Cast ray once -> 26% mitigation removed
    Put ray on tab -> Cast ray twice -> 43% mitigation removed
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    ROE got a crazy nerf. They fixed the bug where using one stack of Ray on tab would apply both stacks, so if you want maximum mitigation on one target you will have to use both charges. Then they additionally reduced the mitigation effect by one third.

Live:
    Put ray on tab -> Cast ray once -> 65% mitigation removed

PTR:
    Put ray on tab -> Cast ray once -> 26% mitigation removed
    Put ray on tab -> Cast ray twice -> 43% mitigation removed

Yea I just got off test and the nerf to RoE I think makes it worthless. In PvP its a complete joke.

RoE does less dmg per tick, each rank increases the debuff by 2.5% instead of the current 5% (nerfed by 50%), and stacking RoE twice is about 30%-40% less damage on followup spells compared to current live state.

Also they nerfed Reaper's Touch feat by 50% as well. On live currently it does 6/12/18/24/30% more damage for your at will when target is 20' or closer. On test it is now 3/6/9/12/15% more damage. On live it seems to be somewhat effective in helping finish off a target by letting it get close and doing more at will dmg. But the difference in dmg on test on targets closer than 20' compared to targets outside this range is so small that it is a complete waste of 5 feat points.

I'm a renegade build and my dmg sucks in PvP now. I see no reason to play my current setup anymore. Maybe some of the other builds are ok? But it does not seem that way, especially with the new lol GWFs coming after you. GF can still kill you before you get off the ground. TR perma invis builds still tear it up. DC.... lol won't see too many of these in PvP either I don't think.

edit:
    Should say though that I have not spent a lot of time testing. Also PvP que not popping on test much. Maybe I'm overreacting maybe not. :)

Maybe other CW builds are having better luck. There is no free respec on test so I have only tested the effects of my build with RoE and Reapers Touch.
  • everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    •Arcane Singularity now displays the correct icon in character creation.
    Ok

•Chill stacks are now removed when Freeze is broken, instead of when it is applied.

Ok sounds like now working as intended, will help long run I think

•Chill may now stack on control-immune NPCs, but does not snare or freeze them.
    Should help on feats triggered on chill requirement.

•Chilling Cloud: The first two hits of the combo now refresh Chill stacks.
    Clearly a desire to make spell more useful, still sucks, better achieved adding chill with Ray of frost.

•Conduit of Ice: The primary effect of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    What does this really mean? Will feats and abilities be triggered on each dot tick or only on initial cast? Can you gain AP on each tick or just the initial cast? Do Dots interrupt abilities attacks? IMHO DOTS usually suck because they kill too slowly. Burst damage is always superior in damage is king games. They have a use in PvP if they interrupt abilities/powers with each tick.

•Entangling Force: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    •Ray of Enfeeblement: This power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    •Ray of Enfeeblement: The benefits from ranking up this power have been decreased.
    Huge nerf!

•Ray of Enfeeblement: The debuff applied by this power is now less powerful.
    Huge nerf

•Ray of Enfeeblement: The Spell Mastery version of the debuff now displays stacks on the target.
    ok

•Ray of Enfeeblement: Two Control Wizards can no longer apply two separate stacks of the debuff on a single target if one uses the Spell Mastery version and one does not. The DoT is still applied by each Wizard individually, however...

This is crazy! What if both CWs have Enfeeble as a Spell mastery or both do not do they stack then? Why are you penalizing having 2 CWs on a team and taking away a class feature? If you have 2 TRS on a team can only 1 backstab at a time? Removing a core ability of a class on spell regarded as one of the main contribution on boss fights is poor design IMHO. The whole point of playing on a team is a force multiplier, this nerf removes that force multiplier and actually neuters what a CW is supposed to do theoretically debuff/buff and control. All this will do will incentivize not having multiple CWs on a team.

•Repel: The tooltip now correctly states that Repel briefly stuns its target(s)
    It does? Is briefly defined as: “So quick that it is not even noticeable?”

•Shard of the Endless Avalanche: The Shard can no longer be destroyed by certain attacks.
    •Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power now consistently deals Arcane damage.
    •Shard of the Endless Avalanche: The rank-up text of this power no longer incorrectly states that its cooldown is reduced by 5 seconds per rank.
    •Shard of the Endless Avalanche: Queuing another power while casting no longer puts the power on cooldown without creating the Shard.

Ok bug fix and clarifications, still thinks the power sucks and does nothing to change or make a CW consider to take this power over the standards and cookie cutter builds.

•Steal Time: The Movement buff granted by this power no longer stacks with other Movement buffs.
    What? Does this include gear buffs from my dark enchantments? Feats? Really? Is movement buffs that game changing that it makes fights trivial and easily exploited? Again taking away or removing a core benefit/purpose of a class because of stacking issues is poor design and penalizes the players playing the class.

•Steal Time: This power now grants one Arcane Mastery stack per cast, regardless of the number of enemies hit.
    Ok, but **** it is hard to generate arcane stacks.

•Storm Pillar: The damage radius of the normal cast has been slightly increased.
    •Storm Pillar: The damage dealt by the summoned pillar has been slightly reduced.
    •Storm Pillar: Ranking up this power now increases the time the summoned pillar lasts.
    This power still sucks, and the nerf makes it worse. The situations in which you would catch another mob is likely infrequent and small in all but the few zerg moments, and I doubt you would be able to get spell off in those situations anyway. Again, thanks for another power that nobody really uses. Cookie Cutter builds for one and all. Let’s make those power choices easy.

•Sudden Storm: This power no longer deals 10 Physical damage in addition to normal damage.
    •Sudden Storm: The DoT now deals more damage.
    •Sudden Storm: The Spell Mastery version of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation.
    Ok see above

•Feat: Chaos Magic: Chaotic Growth now heals for less, but affects maximum health rather than current health.
    So it is not really a heal, but a temporary hit point buff is what you’re saying. Great if you’re near full health, not sure it helps as much if you’re low on health. Bad thing is when it drops and your already low, do you lose the points? That could be bad, whereas a heal would be relatively permanent. This needs scrutiny as it could be a big nerf.

•Feat: Destructive Wizardry: This power now requires Storm Pillar to be charged at least halfway to activate.
    Great, a feat for a sucky power that makes it even harder to use or be usefull.

•Feat: Masterful Arcane Theft: The damage bonus from this feat has been reduced.
    nerf

•Feat: Prestidigitation: This feat now also increases movement speed.
    Except when you use time steal apparently….

•Feat: Reaper's Touch: This feat's effectiveness has been reduced.
    This is a harsh nerf. The extra damage is essential when getting zerged and you at wills are the only thing u can really do without being interrupted. I can understand the nerf because we have such good armor class and mobs beating on us in close proximity on are not much of a threat…..

•Feat: Snap Freeze: This feat no longer increases the damage of Lightning-based powers. It now correctly only affects Cold powers.
    •Control Wizard: Shadow Weaver Set: The tooltip now specifies that the set bonus only triggers with Encounter powers, and only stacks up to 3 times.
    •Control Wizard: Shadow Weaver Set: The set bonus now stacks up to 3 times.

•Control Wizard: Gladiator Mage Set: The set bonus now properly reduces the cooldown of Spell Mastery powers.
    A positive and beneficial bug fix. Call the ambulance I am having a heart attack from surprise.

•Control Wizard: High Vizier's Set no longer increases NPC defense and lowers the player's. The set bonus can now affect control-based Daily powers, too.
    A positive and beneficial bug fix. Will wonders never cease?
  • everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    Much like collectible card games, the whole buisness model is they create overpowered problems because of poor design or unintended consequences and then introduce new shineys to get you to buy the next best thing that makes something obsolete. If the old thing was so good you would have no real incentive to buy the new. They don't want the control wizard to be such a good damage dealer, they want that for the new class. The sad thing is control is always hard to balance because it can trivialize encounters and make them too easy. The game needs to be soloable to get up in levels, and that means you gotta be able to kill stuff, but when in a group you can't be a good damage dealer and a controller as then the optimal would be a 4 person CW team with a healer. Throw in PVP and then it gets reallly difficult to balance.
  • nigelinanigelina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

• dethcorddethcord Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    Yea I just got off test and the nerf to RoE I think makes it worthless. In PvP its a complete joke.
    I'm a renegade build and my dmg sucks in PvP now. I see no reason to play my current setup anymore. Maybe some of the other builds are ok? But it does not seem that way, especially with the new lol GWFs coming after you. GF can still kill you before you get off the ground. TR perma invis builds still tear it up. DC.... lol won't see too many of these in PvP either I don't think.
    Well, the nerfs hit CWs really hard in PVP, and you can expect to ALWAYS lose 1v1 against GWFs. Their anti-CC buff gives them like 15-20% temp hp, on top of their other skills that gives them 100% deflect chance (or is it the same skill?)...yea. Forget it, lol. RIP PVP CWs.
    And i've tested pvp...it's totally a fail for us now. GWF too op for anyclass

Not sure if sarcasm.
    image.png
  • xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have an arcane build and running my parser yesterday I don't see much of a difference. I run Entangling Force (SM), conduit of ice (+dmg w/ no chill feat), Shard, Steal Time.

My DPS is pretty insane and the control around shard with the larger cooldown gives a ton of action points. Definitely not a very good single target build.

I wouldn't count shard out, it is much more reliable now than it was before.
  • ravenouzxravenouzx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Been playing since release. i knew the second i started 3 shotting everyone in pvp with RoE applied that a huge nerfbat was gonna come. i just didnt realize at the time that this class HAS more problems than the developers think i guess.

No more being a mage. glass cannon, well just a piece of glass now .

i'm done until they do a proper patch, i dont reroll characters in mmos to ride the flavortrain. when ur character gets destroyed this bad it just demoralizes you and everything you worked for.

this was a stupid huge nerf and non fix for this 1 class. this class got r4ped.

/rant over. Later guys
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i dont care about nerfs i want fixes.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yep its great nerfed my fun in pvp, nerfed and have to respec my rene build, nerfed my armor which was millions of ad of grinding.

Excellent work devs a real winner.

After so many mmos why do they always fall back to the melee players and ranged hunter dps. They make u rooted in place to cast and nerf your CCs so what is a caster to do. Run thats all while the GFs steamroll u and the rogues kill you with ranged fire in stealth.

Yes i know i have been doing well in pvp and it could be tweaked but the GWF is a tank specc not a dps specc. Now its a plate wearing dps machine. Excellent just great.

What annoys me the most about these stupid mmos is you spend time and engergy and money and they just **** all over you with patch changes.
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i love it. oppressor paragon will shine!
    edited June 2013
    My best guess is right now each tick is treated as a spell and gets the full benefit of your Power stat - after this, your power stat will be spread out over the course of the entire spell. e.g. a nerf to damage done, small ticks of damage.

In this Thread:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?211571-My-compilation-of-CW-bugs
    is something mentioned regarding DoT's (first page, #7)

"Conduit of Ice is considered a spell cast per tic instead of being a normal dot, thus does no dmg when you don't have line of sight or are out of range, also procs stuff per tic like Eye of the Storm/Storm Spell."

I'm not exactly sure what "no dmg when you don't have line of sight or are out of range" means, but the fact that CoI, RoE and EF become DoT's also seems to mean it won't proc Eye of the Storm/Storm Spell after the initial hit anymore. Only on the first hit, if at all.

I mean, the change makes more sense, since these spells DO DoT, but it's actually another nerf, since it can't proc your passives as much as before. :/
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    Yep its great nerfed my fun in pvp, nerfed and have to respec my rene build, nerfed my armor which was millions of ad of grinding.

Excellent work devs a real winner.

After so many mmos why do they always fall back to the melee players and ranged hunter dps. They make u rooted in place to cast and nerf your CCs so what is a caster to do. Run thats all while the GFs steamroll u and the rogues kill you with ranged fire in stealth.

Yes i know i have been doing well in pvp and it could be tweaked but the GWF is a tank specc not a dps specc. Now its a plate wearing dps machine. Excellent just great.

What annoys me the most about these stupid mmos is you spend time and engergy and money and they just **** all over you with patch changes.

1. It is beta. Expect changes.
    2. Build upon most overpowered combination. Expect to get nerfed.
    3. GWF is not a tank, it is AoE DPS. It says so in it's description. I don't care what it is in tabletop game, this is far from it.

Being completely OP is fun for a while, yes. Enjoy while it lasts, don't expect it to be permanent. It is time to learn to play now... ; )
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xratas wrote: »
    1. It is a MMO. Expect changes.
    Fixed that for you. It doesn't matter if it's beta or live, MMOs always experience changes to powers and classes.

These changes can be dramatic and completely shift the balance between classes. Sometimes it's not even a direct change to powers/classes, but new equipment or encounters that make a new class the most desired for group content (though it's unlikely that DC will be considered a non-option unless we get a second healing/buff class).

If a person can't handle that then (s)he should stay far away from any MMO that still gets patches.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't see what's all the fuss is about. I still consider us CW OP, even after these change. First of all, I dont see ANY nerf to our "Primary" role, and that is crowd control. Second, most of the people complaining are those who started with the cookie cutter Renegade build, without really exploring what other synergies are available. If you never thought a crit focused/stacked build with a bugged Crit Severity T2 armor set was going to be toned down, then you were delusional.
    CWs will still be the cornerstone of any T2, and that alone makes the class OP. Changes to other classes, and mechanics, may make our job harder. But I think it is all for the better. Now we really need to focus more on control and less on the Scorecard.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I don't see what's all the fuss is about. I still consider us CW OP, even after these change. First of all, I dont see ANY nerf to our "Primary" role, and that is crowd control. Second, most of the people complaining are those who started with the cookie cutter Renegade build, without really exploring what other synergies are available. If you never thought a crit focused/stacked build with a bugged Crit Severity T2 armor set was going to be toned down, then you were delusional.
    CWs will still be the cornerstone of any T2, and that alone makes the class OP. Changes to other classes, and mechanics, may make our job harder. But I think it is all for the better. Now we really need to focus more on control and less on the Scorecard.

I think the fuss is about reported bugs not being fixed with this patch. And some powers still being useless (*cough* Storm Pillar *cough*).
    And less useful / still bugged powers / feats will reduce the amount of possible diverse and useful builds.

I agree dealing damage isn't our primary role, but less damage in PvP is HUGE.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the fuss is about reported bugs not being fixed with this patch. And some powers still being useless (*cough* Storm Pillar *cough*).
    And less useful / still bugged powers / feats will reduce the amount of possible diverse and useful builds.

I agree dealing damage isn't our primary role, but less damage in PvP is HUGE.

I am pretty sure the list of "fixes" will be a lot bigger than what was already stated. 3 weeks of fooling around with the updates on the test server will definitely contribute to additional fixes/tweeks.
    With regards to PvP, I think we still have major advantages. It's just been so easy for us CWs staying on Caps while getting kills, that most of us refuse to even consider getting less points by sniping from a distance or elevated grounds. Also, every Renegade and their mother want every opportunity to inch closer just to make use of Reaper's Touch.
    I think the classes are closer now to being balanced, at least for PvP. Players now just have to play their advantages, instead of just thinking bursts.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »

Well as a Renegade build CW (That didn't focus on RoE or a broken T2 set) I will not have to much problems, atleast not as much as my shelved 60 DC.

Like others have said its not so much the fact that a few powers/feats got toned down but rather all the other powers/feats that don't even work that bugs some.