test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gear Score fail

dadkkmallleksmmdadkkmallleksmm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I cringe every time I hear this term, and it's one of the reasons I abandoned WOW back in the day when it became a metric for "skill."

My GF has a GS of about 11K, and he's never set foot in a dungeon.

So please explain to me how GS equates to skill?*

*Hint: I know it doesn't equate to skill, but I love to hear people make the attempt. LOL
Post edited by dadkkmallleksmm on

Comments

• krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If anything Gearscore is helpful in determining if your character is geared enough for the dungeon encounter, however I can relate to your frustration of it being used as method of determining skill, as I was a WoW player when those GS spamming days were prevalent.

I'm not high enough level yet to really care much about Gearscore, but does the game include some type of check against gearscore to recommend if you're not ready for dungeon or skirmish encounter?

In other words, what is gearscore used for in the game?
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    No matter what people will always mistake stats for skill. Not gear score's fault, just the people playing.
  • segasisegasi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There needs to be a simply way to evaluate a player and judge weather or not he has even the slightest chance of completing x instance with a group of random players. As it stands there no way to judge a person skill level.

The easiest way is GS, but as your so smart why don't you inform the devs of a better way of doing it.

Edit it has to be a simply solution too and not one that can be exploited to easily.
  • clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The GS rating may end up being more relevant when the looting changes come into effect. At least it may tone down the amount of epics on the AH. I still feel that Epic items should be Bind on Pickup, or Bound to Account.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    BOP would be nice yes.

The GS is more of a joke. A Tr shoutet in zonechat for some Cn runs, he stated to have 11k gs.
    so i ask for invite to take a look at his gear.

guess what? his gear was a garbage mix of pvp items, some t2, some t1, green rings, white undercloth, no enchantments, bot every runeslot filled etc = 10,85k GS

i myself have full swashbuckler set (T2), CN Rings/Neck, gemmed shirt, blue pants, T2 Daggers, both weapon and armor enchantments R5-6 runes. = 10,2k GS

the only upgrade for my gear are the ancient daggers and a gemmed pants. and r7-8 runes ofc but thats another story.

so whats going on with GS?!
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    segasi wrote: »
    There needs to be a simply way to evaluate a player and judge weather or not he has even the slightest chance of completing x instance with a group of random players. As it stands there no way to judge a person skill level.

The easiest way is GS, but as your so smart why don't you inform the devs of a better way of doing it.

Edit it has to be a simply solution too and not one that can be exploited to easily.

No need to get hostile or mean.

I think he's just wondering how this works in game, Is there a mechanism that checks the Gearscore and says oh wait, you're not quite ready for this dungeon?

Sorry to reference a game that I know will get people spun up, but in WoW, they've implemented a gear check that tells you, you're not geared enough to handle this dungeon, it's not done by the the players it's done by the software

I realize that Gearscore is being used by players to form groups, and that's where the problem is. It seems we may be discussing two different aspects of how gearscore is being used.

But I agree with the OP, Gearscore is NOT an indicator of player skill at all. For example, I can send all kinds of gear to another class, equip it, and be all pretty with gearscore and not have the foggiest clue how to actually play the class.

It might be better if one is looking to form the perfect group for dungeon run, with players that are skilled at playing their classes, to actually chat with them a bit, ask them if they've run the dungeon, if they know the fights, their class. Maybe checking achievements would help. *Shrug, I don't know this is a tough issue.

How do you determine a players skill level in a relatively short period of time while forming a group. GS is convenient, but not really an accurate assessment of skill.

Suggestion, add a system to the game that when a party lead sets the dungeon type, if players added don't meet the requirements notify the party in party chat.
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • neyph69neyph69 Banned Users Posts: 150 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    krahct wrote: »
    If anything Gearscore is helpful in determining if your character is geared enough for the dungeon encounter, however I can relate to your frustration of it being used as method of determining skill, as I was a WoW player when those GS spamming days were prevalent.

I'm not high enough level yet to really care much about Gearscore, but does the game include some type of check against gearscore to recommend if you're not ready for dungeon or skirmish encounter?

In other words, what is gearscore used for in the game?

Yes, Once you get lvl 60 and the Epic Dungeon Queues show up for you, you will see that each dungeon has a required gear score and if you dont meet it you can not que for it.