test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why the HUGE patch? Why not a little at a time?

nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Firstly, I would like to say that I am happy about most of the fixes. This is a good patch that will do a lot of great things for the game.

There are some glaringly absent matters of importance that should have been addressed that were either ignored or missed, such as group leaders kicking party members after killing the final boss in order to steal the drops.

However, my major complaint is the format in which this patch is being released.

Why all at once? Its not like all of these fixes were sitting at 99.9% and were finally completed this afternoon. Some of these things have probably been fixed and ready to go for an entire month. Why put us through all the misery of dealing with some of this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> when the cure was sitting on your hard drive?

Are you going for the "wow factor" with this?

As I said, this is a big patch with tons of great stuff...but honestly, I think you sat on it for FAR too long.

If you had released just one section of this patch every week for the past month the whole thing would already be in game. You'd have happy players with a feeling that the Dev's are working hard to quickly resolve issues and meet customer demands. Each section would have had an opportunity to be tested thoroughly and any bugs/exploits found and squashed. Instead, what we have is a HUGE liability waiting to bite you in the behind.

I understand how difficult and complex it is to create an MMO...and that is why I say this...a patch of this size is going to cause an enormous amount of problems. I really think releasing this gigantic, game changing, all encompassing patch that touches every single facet of this game is going to be a nightmare.

I really wish you guys would have put this thing out in several small patches over the course of the last month...it would have been better for all of us.
Post edited by nwobrock on

Comments

• viciousjediviciousjedi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is why its going to the preview servers... to get tested.. this is not getting dropped live without testing.. sigh did you not read fully everything?
    Old School gamer, reviewer of mmos and slayer of dragons.
  • nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is why its going to the preview servers... to get tested.. this is not getting dropped live without testing.. sigh did you not read fully everything?

I did read it. I, personally, do not think there are enough players willing to spend time on the test server to properly test this patch out. I still think they sat on these fixes for too long and should have released small bits at a time over the past month. Like I said, the patch sounds great...I just think its going to cause a lot of problems when it comes to the live server.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of the problems is that a big balancing patch like this has to be tested altogether otherwise there's no point, doing it a bit at a time would destroy the entire point of it as we'd have massive imbalances between classes, as for the rest there could be any number of reasons why they held off putting them up, perhaps because they want to see how or if these changes work in a live-like environment before putting them onto the live server.
  • nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    One of the problems is that a big balancing patch like this has to be tested altogether otherwise there's no point, doing it a bit at a time would destroy the entire point of it as we'd have massive imbalances between classes, as for the rest there could be any number of reasons why they held off putting them up, perhaps because they want to see how or if these changes work in a live-like environment before putting them onto the live server.

There are certainly things they could have added. Like the armor sets debuffing your party...or actually stealing your defense and giving to the mobs...

Things like this do not need to be tested thoroughly for balance. They are straight up bugs and should have been patched as soon as the dev got done writing the code.

I am not in the Cryptic office... I don't know, these two things might have actually just been solved this afternoon. I highly doubt it though.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nwobrock wrote: »
    There are certainly things they could have added. Like the armor sets debuffing your party...or actually stealing your defense and giving to the mobs...

Things like this do not need to be tested thoroughly for balance. They are straight up bugs and should have been patched as soon as the dev got done writing the code.

I am not in the Cryptic office... I don't know, these two things might have actually just been solved this afternoon. I highly doubt it though.

You do realise that STO has had set bonuses that have been fixed by small patches half a dozen times that broke again when the test server patch went out because the fix was based on old code that was adjusted when the big patch went out right?

Perhaps Cryptic are learning from the mistakes of the past.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Fixing small things one at a time can break more things that will just need to get fixed later. Getting all of your fixes together and making sure the bug's created are a small amount is the best a MMO can do.
  • desorodesoro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Get a huge number of fixes and additions, complain about it on the forums.

Classy.

Hiding behind a forum alt.

Classy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dafuq you cryin' about? You first MMO??!
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    simple answers for the OP title is because thats the reason of beta testing, to do major fixes that not found on other testing.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    They probably have different code bases. Making smallish tweaks to the production/live code base is somewhat trivial and does not require any in-depth testing, so they can be deployed quickly (for fixing exploits, etc.). Everything that is not critical goes into the other "being worked on" code base.

Many of these changes are probably interwoven and making one of them affects other code and systems, too. This code base will then be put on the test server so that players can test it, and tweaks can be made to it without any urgency or lasting effects if something doesn't work as intended. When it is ready, it will be deployed and becomes the next production code base.

This is pretty simplified, but the basic idea here is that it's easier and more efficient, and also less prone for things breaking before they have been tested properly. Think of it like cooking a meal for guests: you serve it when it's ready, not when you have it partially done. The mini patches and hotfixes are like refilling the bowl with snacks, or the wine glasses.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited June 2013
    One reason is, the amount of time it takes to load a patch and reboot everything is roughly the same for a large patch as for a small patch; so loading all of these things a little bit at a time would mean hours of downtime every day while they loaded piece after piece.

Don't forget they have to load this to internal shards as well as Live. Some of these fixes only took minutes to write, but hours to build and load internally, and at the same time many different people were writing other ones. Plus, if they're not all in the pipeline at once, you start having people waiting on other people before they can do their jobs. Such as, QA; if your change takes hours to build and load but only minutes to test, you want QA testing the next fix instead of waiting for yet another build and load cycle.

Plus it gives them longer to test some of these things; some of these fixes were probably written weeks ago, they were just non-critical things that didn't need to disrupt schedules.
  • sarahtallsarahtall Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    One reason is, the amount of time it takes to load a patch and reboot everything is roughly the same for a large patch as for a small patch; so loading all of these things a little bit at a time would mean hours of downtime every day while they loaded piece after piece.

Well, this is a beta test :rolleyes: downtime is to be expected.

I agree though, OP. At least a few of these things could have been added earlier and saved everyone a lot of headache.