test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about upcoming changes to Astral Shield

daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Temple
While the majority of the changes to Astral Shield that will come with the patch are expected, and I'm actually looking forward to them, there's one line in the patch notes that has me slightly concerned:

Astral Shield: This power no longer incorrectly increases in duration with higher ranks.

How much of an increase in duration has AS been getting? And does this mean that we won't be able to keep AS up 100% of the time with a recast timer of 15 seconds or less at rank 3?
Post edited by daervon on

Comments

• Options
    uncannyluckuncannyluck Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    My guess? The extra 2-3 seconds you have after Astral Shield fades won't be there anymore. The second Astral Shield vanishes that'll be it.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was basically lasting like 17-18 seconds.
  • Options
    maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    basing from the descriptions in the updates......... i think clerics are getting nerfed
  • Options
    listfalllistfall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I also have a question.

Astral Shield: The healing from the Divine version of this power is now considered a Heal over Time for healing calculations.

Does that mean that astral shield's regen is now properly subject to righteousness?
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    listfall wrote: »
    I also have a question.

Astral Shield: The healing from the Divine version of this power is now considered a Heal over Time for healing calculations.

Does that mean that astral shield's regen is now properly subject to righteousness?

Most likely.

Enjoy being squishy.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Question:

I run an...off build.

I run with Astral Shield and Divine Shield.

Astral Shield does not stack with other Astral Shields, and Divine Shields do not stack with other Divine Shields...However...will Astral Shield and Divine Shield continue to stack?????

Both are mit buffs.
  • Options
    kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    well its going to basically nerf a 2 cleric group, some of those fights at the end are nasty. I shorely hope they lower all the dad gum adds then. Or kill the -40% to heal yourself and lower agro by quite a bit... So far I am thinking nerf. As if they needed another reason to not play their cleric.

I can say without a doubt that pugs are almost always short on clerics. I am going to wait till they kill their game and shoot themselves in the foot.
  • Options
    maukadwellermaukadweller Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    daervon wrote: »
    While the majority of the changes to Astral Shield that will come with the patch are expected, and I'm actually looking forward to them, there's one line in the patch notes that has me slightly concerned:

Astral Shield: This power no longer incorrectly increases in duration with higher ranks.

How much of an increase in duration has AS been getting? And does this mean that we won't be able to keep AS up 100% of the time with a recast timer of 15 seconds or less at rank 3?

At rank 1, AS lasts 10 seconds. I don't remember specifically what the duration was at rank 2.
  • Options
    laudon1laudon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it was lasting about 20 seconds
    Lemonade Stand.
    Dragon Guild
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    laudon1 wrote: »
    it was lasting about 20 seconds

It currently lasts 15 seconds at rank 3, not 20.

I'm uncertain the exact duration of Rank 1, but the 10 seconds suggested by Maukadweller sounds about right, it's no tmore than 12 or 13 seconds though.

Long story short, no 100% up-time on Astral Shield will not be possible anymore. Even with 56.5% recharge speed increase the CD is still 12.7 seconds. Getting that high of a recharge speed increase requires 21 int, 23 Cha, and 7,951 recovery which means you've gimped your cleric in every other possible area.

If it's only 10 seconds on the ground and 15 second CD you can bet there is going to be tons of rage because Clerics don't have any good reliable way to keep people alive for 5 seconds on some boss fights (Temple of the Spider last boss Blade Masters come to mind).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It currently lasts 15 seconds at rank 3, not 20.

I'm uncertain the exact duration of Rank 1, but the 10 seconds suggested by Maukadweller sounds about right, it's no tmore than 12 or 13 seconds though.

Long story short, no 100% up-time on Astral Shield will not be possible anymore. Even with 56.5% recharge speed increase the CD is still 12.7 seconds. Getting that high of a recharge speed increase requires 21 int, 23 Cha, and 7,951 recovery which means you've gimped your cleric in every other possible area.

If it's only 10 seconds on the ground and 15 second CD you can bet there is going to be tons of rage because Clerics don't have any good reliable way to keep people alive for 5 seconds on some boss fights (Temple of the Spider last boss Blade Masters come to mind).

Actually the AS icon lasts about 20 seconds on my buff/debuff bar with a rank 3 divine astral shield.
    Don't know if AS actually stays that long, but the icon stays there for that long.
  • Options
    hroenhroen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just tested the new Astral Shield and it actually lasts 9 seconds if not slightly less. Major nerf.
  • Options
    chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    hroen wrote: »
    Just tested the new Astral Shield and it actually lasts 9 seconds if not slightly less. Major nerf.

So basically Cryptic is saying ... 2DC **** ...

I'm skeptical that I can solo heal spider with only a 66% uptime on AS. Those chargey twats (Blademasters?) hurt ... the fight can be 5+ mins ... anytime my CW (we only run 1 CW) fails to control the adds and they charge during a non-AS period ... ouch.

Since you tested it Hroen, can you confirm if AS is suffering from -40% now as well? That would be the nail in the coffin for me ....
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Didn't think to test that. Give me a second
  • Options
    chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Didn't think to test that. Give me a second

TY sir, trying to figure out how to get on the PTR now myself ...
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I'd like some proof of this/proof that you're on the test shard?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'd like some proof of this/proof that you're on the test shard?

Trying to figure out how the hell they are getting onto PTR myself, I see no option for it. My google-fo apparently is **** :(

<Edit> Think i found it :

Top of the page, Game tab > Preview.

Seems its being swamped atm though, its slow as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chonir01 wrote: »
    Trying to figure out how the hell they are getting onto PTR myself, I see no option for it. My google-fo apparently is **** :(

http://nw.perfectworld.com/preview

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?330011-Welcome-to-NeverwinterPreview!

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    TY sir, trying to figure out how to get on the PTR now myself ...
    Ok chronir: On the live server AS ticks are healing for a range 315-371 and on the test server I got a range of 328-363. After using each a total of 5 times. I don't think there's a noticeable difference (certainly not to account for a 40% reduction) although a more thorough trial might show different results?

P.S. The only thing I could conclude was that the heal per tick was not significantly different. Any difference in length of time between ticks was unnoticeable as well. Either Righteousness already applies to AS on the live server or it doesn't apply on the test server.
    P.P.S. I encourage anyone to further test and either reinforce or disprove my results. ( I'm not fond of spreading disinformation)
    P.P.P.S The duration nerf alone dealt a heavy blow to the skill.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ok chronir: On the live server AS ticks are healing for a range 315-371 and on the test server I got a range of 328-363. After using each a total of 5 times. I don't think there's a noticeable difference although a more thorough trial might show different results.

Thats some small comfort then. Still nerfing AS uptime by 33% is kinda harsh. I guess thier plan is to have GWF and GF pick up adds ... which as I've mentioned in other posts, threat is not the issue with GF. I can hold threat just fine on mine, its the target limit that kills me, if I can only hit 3-5 MoBs on an encounter power ... I can only hold 5-7 MoBs ... the rest are gonna fall on the cleric.

At least my cleric will get more playtime ... if they think that nerfing AS stacking is gonna stop 2DC groups they are wrong. With 33% lapse in uptime more groups will want to run 2 DC just for coverage on AS /boggle.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Can you test to see if Prophetic Action was fixed?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Yes, because Prophetic Action is what people want to know about in a thread titled, "Question about upcoming changes to Astral Shield"
  • Options
    silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, because Prophetic Action is what people want to know about in a thread titled, "Question about upcoming changes to Astral Shield"

Yes, because it doesn't help to ask about it here instead of creating a whole new thread about it. Seriously, it doesn't hurt anyone to ask for it to be tested. You could have just ignored it if you don't know.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thats some small comfort then. Still nerfing AS uptime by 33% is kinda harsh. I guess thier plan is to have GWF and GF pick up adds ... which as I've mentioned in other posts, threat is not the issue with GF. I can hold threat just fine on mine, its the target limit that kills me, if I can only hit 3-5 MoBs on an encounter power ... I can only hold 5-7 MoBs ... the rest are gonna fall on the cleric.

At least my cleric will get more playtime ... if they think that nerfing AS stacking is gonna stop 2DC groups they are wrong. With 33% lapse in uptime more groups will want to run 2 DC just for coverage on AS /boggle.

I have to agree with you on all counts.
    I am unaware of anything wrong with prophetic action since I never use it. Sorry :/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sileste wrote: »
    Yes, because it doesn't help to ask about it here instead of creating a whole new thread about it. Seriously, it doesn't hurt anyone to ask for it to be tested. You could have just ignored it if you don't know.

Thread title specifically asks about astral shield, not about all the upcoming changes. So yeah a new thread would be more appropriate.

Besides, where in the listed "balance" changes does it address Prophetic Action?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thread title specifically asks about astral shield, not about all the upcoming changes. So yeah a new thread would be more appropriate.

Besides, where in the listed "balance" changes does it address Prophetic Action?

It's only one little question. That only needs one answer. Answer: Nothing was said about changes to it.

The question is easy to ignore or answer. And maybe they mistaken Healing Action with Prophetic Action? Not that serious to be responded to in that manner.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No, I knew what I was asking. I figured since our question was answered, and the dude was right here - why not? I am still patching so I can't test it myself.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sileste wrote: »
    It's only one little question. That only needs one answer. Answer: Nothing was said about changes to it.

The question is easy to ignore or answer. And maybe they mistaken Healing Action with Prophetic Action? Not that serious to be responded to in that manner.

Hmmm...maybe they fixed the plaguefire and sacred flame combo even though they didn't mention it...
    Maybe they fixed divine glow debuffing allies even though they didn't mention it...
    Maybe instead of Prophetic Action he really meant Prophecy of Doom which is a power that has a listed change...

The possibilities are endless...which brings me back to thread topic which was? Oh yeah, Astral Shield.
  • Options
    listfalllistfall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It sounds like you still want to bring 2 clerics to an instance now to maintain 100% AS uptime. At least for the hairier bosses.

edit: at least for pugs. I have no doubt there are some seriously good groups out there that could crush the harder bosses even with the reduced uptime
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No, I knew what I was asking. I figured since our question was answered, and the dude was right here - why not? I am still patching so I can't test it myself.
    Hmmm...maybe they fixed the plaguefire and sacred flame combo even though they didn't mention it...
    Maybe they fixed divine glow debuffing allies even though they didn't mention it...
    Maybe instead of Prophetic Action he really meant Prophecy of Doom which is a power that has a listed change...

The possibilities are endless...which brings me back to thread topic which was? Oh yeah, Astral Shield.

LOL he's just too serious about it. Topic is way off topic now so doesn't really matter anymore.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png