test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Curious about my fellow female gamers

2»

Comments

• aenuuaenuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    I'd bet that most in-game characters are female because for some reason it seems that most male players of online role-playing games seem to be trapped in the wrong body and deeply deeply wish to have been born a girl and wear women's clothing, mmyes.

That's really how it seems to you? You're saying most of them are transgender?

From what I've learned after playing MMORPG's for over a decade, a lot of men AND women play a character of the opposite sex. Though a lot of men and women play a character of the same sex too.

Just my observation/2 cents.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aenuu wrote: »
    That's really how it seems to you? You're saying most of them are transgender?

From what I've learned after playing MMORPG's for over a decade, a lot of men AND women play a character of the opposite sex. Though a lot of men and women play a character of the same sex too.

Just my observation/2 cents.

He's just annoyed that it makes it harder for him to single out the real females. :P
    Or at least that's my take on it each time I see a post like that.
    Artificer.jpg
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Girls don't play Video Games.
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Welcome! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My daughter is an avid gamer, and yes she is playing NW. She also plays Champions, SWTOR, loves Tekken, and use to play CoH.

*tear* Excuse me I have something in my eye. Yes, I'm so proud :D .
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd bet that most in-game characters are female because for some reason it seems that most male players of online role-playing games seem to be trapped in the wrong body and deeply deeply wish to have been born a girl and wear women's clothing, mmyes.

Wow, well thought out logic. So...everyone playing a dwarf must really want to be one. Halflings are just people with height issues. A drow player is an evil betrayal happy pointed ear underground dweller just trying to express themselves.

I seriously feel for the poor folks over in STO, some of the races they can play can get down right odd. Not to mention police profilers should proactively lock up anyone playing an evil character. For their obvious desire to be evil for real.

I hope you've never played Tomb Raider. You know a popular franchise played by millions with a female lead. Or even watched a movie where you were rooting/sympathetic with a female lead. Would hate to think you might end up being the least bit hypocritical.
  • wardevil28wardevil28 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    its nice to hear that there are ladies playing games, I look forward to bumping into you even if years of gaming as made me conclude that anyone that says they are a "women" is..
    A. a bot in which case please die
    B. dude pretending to be a chick in hopes of getting free stuff in which case die slowly
    C. a trap in which case I hope I don't die.
    D. a real woman in which case I say hi
    In any case I look forward to bumping into you ladies... as long as you're not a rogue trying to stab me
  • zepheazephea Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heya :) female here also. I never make a big deal out of it and guys who do make me uncomfortable. People are just people. Always delighted when I find other female players. Very aware that a lot of female players don't use voice as they are sick of being singled out. I use voice though so I end up having some great chats via tells sometimes with people I meet. :)
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

The MMO may change but the inventory tetris stays the same.
  • rhiannonwatcherrhiannonwatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I ama gamer girl and have been for quite a while now (over a decade) when a good friend of mine introduced me to NWN. I have played a male character once in that time and was complimented on how well I played the role but certainly prefer to play my own gender!
  • aenuuaenuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    zephea wrote: »
    Heya :) female here also. I never make a big deal out of it and guys who do make me uncomfortable. People are just people. Always delighted when I find other female players. Very aware that a lot of female players don't use voice as they are sick of being singled out. I use voice though so I end up having some great chats via tells sometimes with people I meet. :)

Yes, I have grown to loathe voice chat because of this. I do talk in voice to my Officers sometimes still, when there is a need to work something out. I try to get another male (or anyone who will volunteer) to be raid leader, so I can take care of administrative stuff as guild leader and just enjoy the rest of the game in my own little happy immersive place.

There is a real reason why voice chat is not required in my guild. Aside from competitive PvP groups, I haven't viewed voice chat as "necessary." I do understand why a lot competitive guilds require it though. To each their own.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aenuu wrote: »
    Yes, I have grown to loathe voice chat because of this. I do talk in voice to my Officers sometimes still, when there is a need to work something out. I try to get another male (or anyone who will volunteer) to be raid leader, so I can take care of administrative stuff as guild leader and just enjoy the rest of the game in my own little happy immersive place.

There is a real reason why voice chat is not required in my guild. Aside from competitive PvP groups, I haven't viewed voice chat as "necessary." I do understand why a lot competitive guilds require it though. To each their own.

Your not the only one. I never like doing voice chat. Kinda breaks my immersion. And Im a guy.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ugh voice chat. don't even get me started on it. It normally follows a typical pattern.

If you don't talk, they assume you're a guy. Bossy raid leader screams, yells, makes a fool of themselves because leadership skills are actually hard to come by.

Once you talk, suddenly bossy raid leader is all nice and cool and forgiving to the new gamer girl. While still being a jerk to everyone else.

Over time boss gets comfortable with girl and jerk emerges again. Its either comfort or realization that girl really wont ever be interested in anything with said boss beyond gaming and at a distance.

Return to being silent again. Everyone assumes you're a guy again.

Yea, i'm happier typing. Let them assume all they want. As long as I don't have to hear it.
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    ugh voice chat. don't even get me started on it. It normally follows a typical pattern.

If you don't talk, they assume you're a guy. Bossy raid leader screams, yells, makes a fool of themselves because leadership skills are actually hard to come by.

Once you talk, suddenly bossy raid leader is all nice and cool and forgiving to the new gamer girl. While still being a jerk to everyone else.

Over time boss gets comfortable with girl and jerk emerges again. Its either comfort or realization that girl really wont ever be interested in anything with said boss beyond gaming and at a distance.

Yea, i'm happier typing. Let them assume all they want. As long as I don't have to hear it.

Heh. Yeah I've seen that. Experienced it too here.

What's funnier is girls in full flirt mode while you're quietly in the background listening to the guys play up to them and trying not to pop your sockets eyerolling. And eventually something comes up and it's just easier to use your voice and they all calm down.

Rather hilarious actually.

Meh. Each to their own. It's all just a game. If someone or something makes me uncomfortable I just quietly move on. People appreciate it when you're kind and just trying to play the best you can.
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

• kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My girlfriend is a gamer too, although she hasn't had much time lately for gaming. She also doesn't read/post much in forums, but you can at least add one more to your list! :)
  • thehuntress#2050 thehuntress Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »

I am totally there with ya.
  • thehuntress#2050 thehuntress Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ladybedlam wrote: »
    I'm a mom player as well. The hubby and son play with me and its a blast. Been gaming for quite a few years along with costuming for a few Star Wars Lucas Films groups. Mainly the Mandalorian Mercs.

Nerd/Geek mom unite!
    edited June 2013
    thelastria wrote: »
    Nerd/Geek mom unite!

:) Not a mum but I think it's totally awesome when mum's play with their families :D
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~