test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Aesthetics of the Great Weapon Fighter are the best in the game.

jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
in my humble opinion.

DISCLAIMER: My GWF is only level 28 thus far.

Now, before everyone comes in here and starts on about how they are useless in Tier 2 and yadda yadda, please note that I am ONLY talking about aesthetics. Look, feel, animations, armor graphics, weapon graphics, etc.

everything about the GWF aesthetic is awesome. to me, it just looks and feels...RIGHT. I look at my other characters, and have nitpicks about their animations, the way they look (especially how Plate Armor makes my regular-sized Half-Orc Guardian look like a total ******), how some of the powers seem awkward-looking (looking at you, Crushing Surge)

I have very few nitpicks with the GWF. their armors look great, their swords look great, their animations are fluid and weighty enough (especially Wicked Strike), the way the GWF turns into a whirling blur of steel during Determination, the little subtle touches of animation (like the little jump-step he does during the second swing of Wicked Strike, and how on Reaping Strike the longer you charge it, the more the GWF reaches back for momentum)I look at my character, and am completely satisfied with how it looks and moves.

the only thing I can think of to complain about aesthetically, is how the GreatSword clips through a Cloak. otherwise, the aesthetics of the GWF are **** near perfect, to me.

and it makes me want to go ahead and keep struggling with the class in hopes that there are some fixes, or there is some point where the GWF just clicks, and things improve greatly. and perhaps even make it my primary character, instead of my Guardian.
Post edited by jaymadiv#8056 on

Comments

• knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree.

This is why I keep end up leveling my GWF over my Rogue just because it's more satisfying despite the crappy single target damage.

There's also a bunch of little mechanics to get more damage or efficiency to make it feel more skillful and realistic and actiony.

Hell I usually never play fighter types, but GWF is just satisfying lol.
  • serpentttserpenttt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited May 2013
    Looks and feels great I agree. I just wish it weren't as if we were swinging around a giant foam sword. 5.5k power, vorpal enchant, still feel weak :(.
  • metixenmetixen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    declaration of love. like it. :)
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whats fun is going into a lower level area and just slicing through every mob in the zone. I like the GWF too and I've played wizards for years.
  • tojolobal2tojolobal2 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    in my humble opinion.

Now, before everyone comes in here and starts on about how they are useless in Tier 2 and yadda yadda, please note that I am ONLY talking about aesthetics. Look, feel, animations, armor graphics, weapon graphics, etc.

everything about the GWF aesthetic is awesome. to me, it just looks and feels...RIGHT. I look at my other characters, and have nitpicks about their animations, the way they look (especially how Plate Armor makes my regular-sized Half-Orc Guardian look like a total ******), how some of the powers seem awkward-looking (looking at you, Crushing Surge)

I have very few nitpicks with the GWF. their armors look great, their swords look great, their animations are fluid and weighty enough (especially Wicked Strike), the way the GWF turns into a whirling blur of steel during Determination, the little subtle touches of animation (like the little jump-step he does during the second swing of Wicked Strike, and how on Reaping Strike the longer you charge it, the more the GWF reaches back for momentum)I look at my character, and am completely satisfied with how it looks and moves.

the only thing I can think of to complain about aesthetically, is how the GreatSword clips through a Cloak. otherwise, the aesthetics of the GWF are **** near perfect, to me.

and it makes me want to go ahead and keep struggling with the class in hopes that there are some fixes, or there is some point where the GWF just clicks, and things improve greatly. and perhaps even make it my primary character, instead of my Guardian.

Not trolling here.. but I have to say there are 3 animations I'm pretty unhappy with. From what I've played it looks like they aren't all that useful of powers in the 'goto' build anyhow.. so it makes little difference in the long run, but:
    1) reaping strike.. just really awkward looking, was greatful to switch out with wicked strike which is EXACTLY what a GWF should look like anyhow..
    2) spinning strike, what can i say about this .. I guess it just looks ridiculous. Not really a 'tough guy' animation in my books.
    3) unstoppable growth animation after building determination.. nobody thinks this also looks silly or distracting? There must be a better way to portray the effects of that power. The mechanic is great, but the animation looks pretty cheese.

All that said, I do like GWF - surprisingly better than the CW I've tried at the same time. They do feel a little weak sauce at times, but it's not as bad (so far) as I've heard people gripe about.

I would love to see GWF compete with CW damage a little more readily and CW have less a role in AoE DPS and more in 'controlling' (which they do well at). Nothing seems broken, just a gentle shove in that direction would be nice to see. I guess that's a bit off topic though!
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is it just me or can you actually jump higher while you're all huge from Unstoppable?

I'd actually like some changes to Reaping Strike's animation too. It does look rather awkward. I'd prefer each 'charge' to have it's own animation so it's easier to keep track of visually. I mean, the charge bar is really easy and all but I'd rather just admire the animation. Also, the red 'energy' effect that flashes on your sword doesn't show up with clubs or other weapons. The photoshop flare under your feet looks...cheap.

Personally I think WMS looks kind of cheesy too with the little yellow copy of your character.

Oddly enough I really like the same effect on Crescendo. Maybe just because I see it less, and four of me is better than two?
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • bluestone007bluestone007 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree it does look cool. But looking cool while fighting means nothing if you have nothing to fight at level 60 because you can' get a group.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Look, feel, animations, armor graphics, weapon graphics, etc.

Yep, the falling animation when they're dying, the sound of their last squeak of agony, the position when they lay down as a cadaver. How they struggle when caught in TR chains or lifted up by a CW. The metallic sound of their attacks being blocked by a GF. So nice.
    English is not my first language.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    in my humble opinion.

This x 2 . Its like I wrote it myself. I've always liked the 2H sword ( barbarian in Blade of Darkness = my best melee weapon experience in a game ever). And because the GWF really 'clicks' for me, I never gave up on the class regardless of all its shortcomings.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.