test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter team isn't as big as people think

kartosathentia1kartosathentia1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
People need to think a bit more. Always hear people complaining, "Why isn't there a report player button?" "Why is this bug still in the game?" "This exploit is ruining the game". You have to keep in mind there is most likely only 10-30 people who work for the Neverwinter section of PW. They work on things as fast as they can and try to do anything they can to fix things. Perfect World itself isn't a major company. Yes, they make a lot of money but you guys also have to consider most of the money they make most likely goes to staff, servers, and a minor bit of it into profit. Give it time. It is an open beta.

General rule of thumb:
If you hate bugs/exploits don't join a beta.
Post edited by kartosathentia1 on

Comments

• planartardsplanartards Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    That's all their problems, not ours :D Nice optimism though, wish I had it.
    Join responsible gamers and boycott the Xbox One
    Don't be a fool, Open Beta with working cash shop=Live Release
  • kartosathentia1kartosathentia1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's all their problems, not ours :D Nice optimism though, wish I had it.
    It is actually your problem too. You joined a beta. You should expect these things. :P
    edited June 2013
    It is actually your problem too. You joined a beta. You should expect these things. :P
    My problem as in I have to deal with them? Yeah..I accept that this game is a joke. Do I believe they are calling it Beta so they can get away with all the problems while still charging money? You bet, it's a real shame.

I am at my computer 12+ hours a day, this game is a 5/10 rated distraction for me, nothing more :o
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You waste your time playing a 5/10 game for 12 hours a day when you could be doing something constructive?

Seems a rather sad way to waste your life on mediocrity.
    edited June 2013
    My problem as in I have to deal with them? Yeah..I accept that this game is a joke. Do I believe they are calling it Beta so they can get away with all the problems while still charging money? You bet, it's a real shame.

I am at my computer 12+ hours a day, this game is a 5/10 rated distraction for me, nothing more :o
    I fully agree and I feel the same way. NW is pretty much a joke. You get to level 60 and it is either completely buy to win or grinding on dungeons for hours on end with excelling very little at a time.
    You waste your time playing a 5/10 game for 12 hours a day when you could be doing something constructive?

Seems a rather sad way to waste your life.

And trolling people on a forum isn't a waste of your life? Hm?
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »

Seems a rather sad way to waste your life.
    I have been playing maybe..2-4 hours a day depending on how much I feel like playing, it varies ya know? Lately anything but basic solo questing has been a joke. The solo questing is not bad at all though, I really like the environments and graphics when completely maxed out. Planning on getting my rogue to max and probably either playing my 15 cleric more or rerolling a mage but it's up in the air right now, game is so screwed up right now.
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Perfect World itself isn't a major company. Yes, they make a lot of money but you guys also have to consider most of the money they make most likely goes to staff, servers, and a minor bit of it into profit. Give it time. It is an open beta.

IMO your pretty wrong about this.

More than 10% of the revenue PW pulls in is profit. They are also "major" enough to have publishing rights for dota 2 in china which is huge. They aren't quite generating the types of revenue that the biggest publishers are, but imo they are by no means a small and humble publisher.

That being said I think total staff is more around the 30 mark, if not a little more than that I don't know the figure and I have yet to see any real evidence of how much staff works at Cryptic. 10 people would be way way understaffed to run this project in it's early stages.

That being said I think the devs are doing a fine job of addressing bugs and exploits. Some games dont' fix bugs for literally years, Cryptic has had several bug exploit patches in a little over a month.

Even though most of us don't like to hear the complainers, complaints are feedback for Cryptic for exisiting/potential customers and are not something that should be suppressed/ignored.
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have been playing maybe..2-4 hours a day depending on how much I feel like playing, it varies ya know? Lately anything but basic solo questing has been a joke. The solo questing is not bad at all though, I really like the environments and graphics when completely maxed out. Planning on getting my rogue to max and probably either playing my 15 cleric more or rerolling a mage but it's up in the air right now, game is so screwed up right now.

That's more then none and if you're still getting that much entertainment out of it for most likely free then what do you have to complain about.

If it's a joke as you say I wouldn't be playing at all. I tried Tera recently and didn't like it so I'm back playing NW. It's quite an exaggeration to be talking that much trash when you actually play the game.
  • rb1641rb1641 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You have to keep in mind there is most likely only 10-30 people who work for the Neverwinter section of PW.

Where in the world did you get these numbers? I don't remember seeing a post from PW or Neverwinter anywhere saying how many people are on their team.
  • silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    First off, most of the time when games go into Open Beta there is a wipe before live launch. This is done for several reasons, one of them being is that it removes items that were obtained by exploits or obtained by other ill-gotten means. After the wipe, the game will normally go into a head start phase to allow players that purchased founder packs to start the game earlier.

Second. PWE is a fairly large company. Even though they have multiple games they manage, the can move their resources around to where it's needed most. Companies like this use a combined Customer Service department.

Third, Perfect World's quarterly earnings are freely available online. They make more money than people realize. They are a major company and unlike many gaming companies, Perfect World is on the stock exchange.

Forth, they have over 100 employees just in their main office, this isn't counting their other offices and buildings.

I can further shoot down this topic, but I'll keep it simple at what I've already stated.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013

1st of all, it is not charging money, it is Play for Free, if you dont buy foundry it does not mean you cannot play. beside, you knew it is still Beta, so the option to buy things while in Beta phase is in your hand, not that PWE forced you to buy anything. 2nd, Open Beta game also act like demonstration of the game, sometime its act like a "fund-raiser" too, so if its contain cash shop nothing is wrong with it, like I said before, you dont have to buy things to play the game.
  • alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This word needs to be absorbed by the player base: Entitlement.

The day you do a perfect job is the day a 2 month old game will go Beta completely bug free.
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    IMO your pretty wrong about this.

More than 10% of the revenue PW pulls in is profit. They are also "major" enough to have publishing rights for dota 2 in china which is huge. They aren't quite generating the types of revenue that the biggest publishers are, but imo they are by no means a small and humble publisher.

That being said I think total staff is more around the 30 mark, if not a little more than that I don't know the figure and I have yet to see any real evidence of how much staff works at Cryptic. 10 people would be way way understaffed to run this project in it's early stages.

That being said I think the devs are doing a fine job of addressing bugs and exploits. Some games dont' fix bugs for literally years, Cryptic has had several bug exploit patches in a little over a month.

Even though most of us don't like to hear the complainers, complaints are feedback for Cryptic for exisiting/potential customers and are not something that should be suppressed/ignored.

You are kidding me right? Dota 2 HUGE? You are are joking right? Dota 2 is only the most cheapest game to get out there without a cash shop or anything. In fact I have 30 Dota 2s sitting in my inv on Steam. Dota 2 is not anything. Dota's name maybe big but it certainly isn't big when it comes to profit wise. PW isn't big with profits.
    More than 10% of the revenue PW pulls in is profit.
    So, explain how I am wrong? Again, 10% isn't MUCH profit. Most of it comes into maintenance, staff, and other things. PW isn't a big company at all. Compare it to other games. I swear some of you people are as dense a rock.
  • xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Perfect World has 4500 employees and runs 15 MMOs with a 16th in the works. For comparison, EA has 9300 employees and Activision Blizzard has 7200ish. Activision by itself has 4000.

So, yeah, PWE is definitely a major company.
    edited June 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    That's more then none and if you're still getting that much entertainment out of it for most likely free then what do you have to complain about.

If it's a joke as you say I wouldn't be playing at all. I tried Tera recently and didn't like it so I'm back playing NW. It's quite an exaggeration to be talking that much trash when you actually play the game.
    Nah I would say the amount of complaints and negative opinion I have is pretty much spot on. The problem is there is nothing else on the market I would rather be playing at the moment.
  • kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You are kidding me right? Dota 2 HUGE? You are are joking right? Dota 2 is only the most cheapest game to get out there without a cash shop or anything. In fact I have 30 Dota 2s sitting in my inv on Steam. Dota 2 is not anything. Dota's name maybe big but it certainly isn't big when it comes to profit wise. PW isn't big with profits. So, explain how I am wrong? Again, 10% isn't MUCH profit. Most of it comes into maintenance, staff, and other things. PW isn't a big company at all. Compare it to other games. I swear some of you people are as dense a rock.

I think you can stop right there already because you need to do more Research. PW is a big Company, they are the biggest gaming Company in China. They are also making a lot of profits. I don't know where you get your source, but I think the dense as a rock person here is you.
  • okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Look at Grinding Gear Games, creators of Path of Exile. They are small indie team, yet they managed to do an open beta game with very few issues, not to say exploits, and friendly micro-transacion system that does not offer any real advantage, focusing on cosmetic. They constantly update their game, adding new things.

Neverwinter Online was released to wide audience WAY TO SOON. The game is not ready to maintain steady economy and take money from players. Not yet.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

General rule of thumb:

General rule of thumb:
    If your software is barely at beta-level quality and stability, don't start taking payments.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    and a minor bit of it into profit

I laughed :o
    Really interested in where you are pulling these numbers from.
    elessym wrote: »
    General rule of thumb:
    If your playerbase is willing to throw cash at you, start taking payments.

Corrected. :p
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    talesmith wrote: »
    I laughed :o
    Really interested in where you are pulling these numbers from.

Corrected. :p

General rule of thumb:
    Altering people's posts in quotes is the act of a **********
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • talung34talung34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »

You think they are doing a fine job at fixing bugs and exploits? Are we talking about Neverwinter here or some other game?

A lot of the Exploits are from STO, which have already been fixed in those. As for bug fixes, it seems every "fix" leads to 5 more bugs.

Regardless of team size, once real money is involved in the game, you SHOULD expect bugs to properly tested and implemented, not the half-arsed method they are currently using.

Oh, and before you use the term "its beta", no its not. beta's do not accept real money. Beta's also have complete wpes and Beta's do not have headstarts to them. Their use of "beta" is only to legally cover their arses as an excuse not to promptly fix bugs.
  • sizzman22sizzman22 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It depends on what a person sees as constructive and mediocre. Should he live by your standards?
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Ouch looks like planartard hit someone without even trying.

"I am at my computer 12+ hours a day, this game is a 5/10 rated distraction for me, nothing more"

What's really sad is accusing someone of mediocrity when you are illiterate, or being so emotionally involved in a game you warp statements to say things they don't.

Or do you really think the only thing people do at their computers is play neverwinter ?
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You have to keep in mind there is most likely only 10-30 people who work for the Neverwinter section of PW.

Are you just making stuff up as you go or do you some information resources you can share that back up what you are saying?

According to Wiki - Cryptic Studios

Cryptic Studios
    Employees 100–200 (2007)
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    Regarding the patchnotes there is only one dev working on nw with his left hand.
  • demonishademonisha Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it is funny how companies hide behind this veil of open beta bull****, it seems to fool the whole planet now days.
  • shadok92shadok92 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    General rule of thumb:

Most expensive beta I've ever played..
  • lokiodinssonlokiodinsson Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xhiven wrote: »
    Perfect World has 4500 employees and runs 15 MMOs with a 16th in the works. For comparison, EA has 9300 employees and Activision Blizzard has 7200ish. Activision by itself has 4000.

So, yeah, PWE is definitely a major company.

i do believe he said for NW section not PWE itself
  • lokiodinssonlokiodinsson Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And most games don't wipe after the open beta they go right into live....
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nose_picking.jpg
    People need to think a bit more. Always hear people complaining, "Why isn't there a report player button?" "Why is this bug still in the game?" "This exploit is ruining the game". You have to keep in mind there is most likely only 10-30 people who work for the Neverwinter section of PW. They work on things as fast as they can and try to do anything they can to fix things. Perfect World itself isn't a major company. Yes, they make a lot of money but you guys also have to consider most of the money they make most likely goes to staff, servers, and a minor bit of it into profit. Give it time. It is an open beta.

General rule of thumb:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN