test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric or Wizard for Solo Play?

klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
My first character was a Guardian Fighter, now I'm looking to roll my second character. After playing a melee class I'd now like to try a caster, but I can't decide between Cleric or Wizard.

I'm strictly a solo PvE player, I've tried skirmishes and dungeons, but I really hated them. So I just want something that can solo through the main quests.

The wizard looks very appealing, but after playing a 'tank' class, I'm worried I'll find it too squishy. The cleric on the other hand, seems to have more survivability, but I'm not sure if I can just ignore healing and build it into a DPS caster like a wizard.

I'd love to hear other people's opinions. If you wanted to solo through the main quests, which would you choose?

Note: I only have one empty character slot, so I can't really try both :(
Post edited by klixan on

Comments

• teykosteykos Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    Wizards are easy to level, once you get used to it. The third dodge and myriad of CC options makes it a lot easier to survive than the cleric, as long as you keep that healthy stock of up-to-date potions for mistimed dodges and slow reactions. Once you get used to the play style, you should be able to live off of the piles of potions you get just from progressing.

Lower level clerics can be pretty bursty, depending on the encounter. For example, a lined up Searing Light boosted with Divinity can obliterate packs of easy mobs and severely maim standard mobs. This is because each target hit by the beam does their own mini explosion to any of their buddies close by, so the damage is potentially higher than the numbers stated on the power when the encounter is clustered up.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    It's sadly a case of apples and oranges. I have played both but I mainly use a cleric.

Clerics are extremely bursty at lower levels, borderline overpowered and even at higher levels they do have quite good chunk abilities. I don't think I used a single postion before level 30 and even at level 60 it's a rare occurance for me to need potions. If you want a class which can self-sustain a cleric is the way to go even with the 60% reduction in self-heals.

The main problem is that as you get to the later levels the damage goes mind-numbingly down in scale. I can still burst some occassional mobs but there's so much stuff which I know any other class could handle effortlessly that I hav to dance around for a few power rotations.

Wizards, while squishy, have the CC and damage to back them up. It takes some getting used to but it's very much doable. At higher levels they can be arguably more sustainable simply because they have enough damage to take down foes quicker thus taking less overall damage.

Sadly at the end of this post I don't think I helped you decide but regardless of which you choose I think you will find both very adept at surviving encounters. :)
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hehe I was afraid of that, still, I thank you both very much for the input.

I've just seen a wonderful cleric video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arNF7v7rZlg which has impressed the heck out of me. So I'm very tempted by the cleric at the moment.

*Sigh* I may just have to spend some of my AD to get some more character slots, then I can try them both and see which one I like best :)
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had an easier time leveling my Cleric than my Wizard in solo.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • budrik1budrik1 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    >Go Cleric.
    >Take Tank Pet.
    >Roll Face On Keyboard
    >Take Daunting Light when you can.
    >???
    >Profit.
    "Pugs are like Saturday Night Live Sketches.
    Most of em' are awful, some of em are decent, and a few are pretty good."
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For the purpose and ease of solo levelling, I dont think you can beat a Cleric, slow (very slow compared to Rogue) but sure. At most, there will be only one "personal" instance in the whole game that you may not be able to complete without good gear and perfect use of Powers: the one involving a huge wolf with its pups. Oddly enough, while levelling despite Righteousness, you will still use the least amount of potions of the classes. But in endgame, that position quickly reverses...

For Wizard, I'm still levelling mine and I chose poor initial Ability Scores (hugely underestimated importance of Intelligence), but I mow through monsters like crazy and almost solo'd (made a mistake at 10% HP) at level the Cragmire Crypts endboss (the one with all the pirates, witches and werewolves). Your movement and CC skills are that good!

So, its more of an issue of what you are looking for. Since you are coming from perspective of GF where you thought you would be tanking and managing survivability and mob management, I guess you would be naturally more attracted to Cleric.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Get both, they are both fun and play so differently it is worth the time to try all your options.
  • pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    Hehe I was afraid of that, still, I thank you both very much for the input.

I've just seen a wonderful cleric video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arNF7v7rZlg which has impressed the heck out of me. So I'm very tempted by the cleric at the moment.

*Sigh* I may just have to spend some of my AD to get some more character slots, then I can try them both and see which one I like best :)

That's what I did bought 2 more character slots, just at a little over 300 zen now going for my next 2 slots, then it's time to save up for a cat or stone.

P.S.: Clerics are accepted in queues faster than a CW, it takes forever for a CW but I think you said you're not into skirmishes, does that include all dailies like the dungeon cause that's not a bad way to get AD, not a fast way but not bad.
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.