test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Delves Preclearing, exploit or not?

Comments

• allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I just do not understand why in the world anyone at all cares about this particular thing? There are so many truly broken things and things that should be added and new content to make, who cares?
  • wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    I just do not understand why in the world anyone at all cares about this particular thing? There are so many truly broken things and things that should be added and new content to make, who cares?

Probably because dungeon delves affect the economy in a big way.
  • alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Loot. It makes people nuts. I'm over the DD thing. There is no fun in cranking through stuff just to feed some louse that Kicks the group at the Final boss. There is plenty more to do than torture myself for someone else's gain.
  • kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Blah, common sense tells everyone of us that's not how it was intended to work. I wont stop, its become the preferred way to play the game.

Maybe "intended" isn't quite the right word, but it is certainly "as advertised" by the tooltip. It's not like this is a bug. It's doing exactly what it says it's going to do: If you enter the map while the event is active, the chest is unlocked; if you enter the map while the event isn't active, the chest is locked.

Maybe they just didn't didn't anticipate that logging in is a form of entering the map? But, again, the chest also locks if you get disconnected after the event ends.

So the behavior is consistent within the scope of the event. It's just inconsistent with the rules of other events by design (intended in that sense).
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    This is totally intended and part of why we implemented the events, to get you to think about "whats coming up next" and drive players towards a similar activity at a specific time window. The same can be done with Skirmishes as well, if you wait to open the chest until the event is active (though level 60 only has 1 event right now).
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    This is totally intended and part of why we implemented the events, to get you to think about "whats coming up next" and drive players towards a similar activity at a specific time window. The same can be done with Skirmishes as well, if you wait to open the chest until the event is active (though level 60 only has 1 event right now).

Oh I can just imagine the buttrage over this statement.
  • treize26treize26 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So a group completes the dungeon normally, and uses this method to get a reward at the end? I have no respect at all for exploiters, but I'm fine with this.

Not starting the dungeon within the arbitrary limits of the dungeon delve event and getting the reward anyway doesn't seem like it's a huge problem in need of a fix. They're still finishing it within the dungeon delve period, and it enables them to do it again... with how infrequently dungeon delves show up (at least during my playtime) and the fact that most dungeons are going to take longer than the event is active to complete, this only leads to more people grouping and doing the content, rather than sitting there waiting for the event to pop...
    edited June 2013
    panderus wrote: »

If it's intended why do people have to log out and in to gain access to the chest?
    edited June 2013
    wtfsoindie wrote: »
    If it's intended why do people have to log out and in to gain access to the chest?

Also if it's intended why does the dungeon delve tooltip say "Enter a dungeon AFTER this event starts". That doesn't seem congruent with clearing a dungeon and waiting for the event to start, then relogging and opening the chest.
  • lilmonkey222lilmonkey222 Banned Users Posts: 296 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

And why does the description of the DD event clearly state that you have to start the dungeon and defeat the boss while the event is active?

Panderus, evidently you're wrong. When this part of the game was coded, this was not intended, that much is clear.

Edit: this kind of nonsense statements from devs don't really help the situation of the vocal minority of the community being fairly dissatisfied with the progress regarding balance, bug & exploit fixes and (endgame) content additions. Just saying.

Edit 2: fixed misread - doesn't change the point though.
  • treize26treize26 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And why does the description of the DD event clearly state that you have to start the dungeon and defeat the boss while the event is active?

Panderus, evidently you're wrong. When this part of the game was coded, this was not intended, that much is clear.

The description of the event isn't linked to the coding of the event, it's very possible the event description was written incorrectly. Obviously it was coded to allow this, or at least not coded to prohibit this. Considering how trivial an issue this is, I don't see why it's that big of a concern anyway.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Edit: this kind of nonsense statements from devs don't really help the situation of the vocal minority of the community being fairly dissatisfied with the progress regarding balance, bug & exploit fixes and (endgame) content additions. Just saying.

It doesn't say you have to beat the boss while it is active. It just says you have to start the dungeon while it is active.
    edited June 2013
    treize26 wrote: »
    The description of the event isn't linked to the coding of the event, it's very possible the event description was written incorrectly. Obviously it was coded to allow this, or at least not coded to prohibit this. Considering how trivial an issue this is, I don't see why it's that big of a concern anyway.

Right, that's why you have to relog. Because that's intended.

CLEARLY.
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the tooltip should be changed to "Relog during a dungeon while this event is active" you know, since it's intended and all.
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I dont see the purpose of this counting as an exploit..
    Kind of silly and minor.
    edited June 2013
    Kind of silly and minor.

An exploit is an exploit, big or small. Do you understand this simple logic, yes?
    edited June 2013
    Kind of silly and minor.

It's still an exploit and a dev shouldn't be pretending that it's intended.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    An exploit is an exploit, big or small. Do you understand this simple logic, yes?

I exploit stocking techniques when I buy milk by grabbing from the back. I exploit my flexible schedule by coming to work 30 min early and leaving 30 min early so I can avoid rush hour.

Get over yourself. You probably think hugging a wall to avoid trash mob agro is exploitation and needs punishing.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited June 2013
    It's still an exploit and a dev shouldn't be pretending that it's intended.

If a Dev says it's intended...it can't actually be an exploit. They said it was designed that way. /thread.
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    If a Dev says it's intended...it can't actually be an exploit. They said it was designed that way. /thread.

Except the actual implementation doesn't support the dev's statement.

And devs can be wrong too, you know. Something about only being human and all.

*shrug*
  • unimatrixalpha1unimatrixalpha1 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Devs say it's alright. What's the big deal here? You guys want to make it an issue whether it's allowed or it isn't. Pick one but not both to argue about. The main thing is that Devs want to encourage players to play the dungeons and grant a reward for doing so during that time period, which doesn't mean it has to be so exact a time period.
  • ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Except the actual implementation doesn't support the dev's statement.

The OP asked if a "pre-clear" is an exploit or not. A dev said it is not. This obviously means that players needing to relog to benefit from a pre-clear is the part that's unintended behavior, not the fact that players can benefit from a preclear at all. This also means that the tooltip is wrong, which is not surprising in this game.
    edited June 2013
    ehra wrote: »
    The OP asked if a "pre-clear" is an exploit or not. A dev said it is not. This obviously means that players needing to relog to benefit from a pre-clear is the part that's unintended behavior, not the fact that players can benefit from a preclear at all. This also means that the tooltip is wrong, which is not surprising in this game.

And the event description also happens to be wrong?

All evidence suggests that the dev is wrong. Can't argue with that.
  • ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And the event description also happens to be wrong?

All evidence suggests that the dev is wrong. Can't argue with that.

This game is full of wrong tooltips. Which I mentioned in my post.

You can keep repeating yourself all you want, your "evidence" does not point to the conclusion that you think it does. A dev saying that pre-clearing is intended behavior does not mean that the entire system is bug free. A dev is telling you what is intended behavior, and you're using current behavior to tell them they're wrong. I hope you realize how little sense that makes.
    edited June 2013
    Can't argue with that.

No, it's pretty easy to argue with that.

"Hey is this an exploit?"

"No it's how we intended it to function"

Incorrect event text would be a minor NW bug.
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    No, it's pretty easy to argue with that.

"Hey is this an exploit?"

"No it's how we intended it to function"

Incorrect event text would be a minor NW bug.

I will just repeat:

All the evidence suggests that the dev is incorrect.

Devs are only human; they make mistakes too.

Can't argue with that.

*wink*
    edited June 2013
    Off peak queues are already terrible. Why are people arguing to fix this mechanic? Do you hate your lives that much?
    edited June 2013
    I will just repeat:

All the evidence suggests that the dev is incorrect.

Devs are only human; they make mistakes too.

Can't argue with that.

*wink*

Yeah the Devs messed up the tool tip.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013

^This.

/10chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    ^This.

/10chars

Same reason why people with graphic settings on max can have problems getting Protector's Enclave to load correctly.

Coding on a budget.
This discussion has been closed.